Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-03-2010, 03:31 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CASE-ing vs. Inspiration

I'm sorry if this has been discussed on the boards before but I was really interested in hearing opinions on this. What is the difference between being "inspired by" and CASE-ing a card? Are there a certain number of changes that need to be made from your creation from the original card to make it "yours"? I've seen soo many cards on etsy that are almost exact replicas from my fav. bloggers/designers (maybe one color is changed). Thanks in advance for the feedback
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 03:33 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Dallas! Carrollton here! I have to CASE but I am not on Etsy. I am simply not creative...yet! I see your point, tho!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 03:46 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

My understanding is that CASE cards are "Copy And Share Everything"
While inspired would be to make a card your own by making changes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 03:46 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've seen people go round and round about this issue and in my opinion, there just is no good answer or solution....copying others' projects. Some people will knock themselves out trying to give proper credit (but do we usually REALLY know where that person got the idea from?) and other people are so brazen to copy someone's idea that somehow more clearly seems to be an original and submit it to a contest or something as their own. If you really want to differentiate between inspired by or CASE I would say a CASE is a closer duplicate than perhaps "inspired by".....but that's just my interpretation and really there is no one out there with the exact answer. I guess we can all just do our best to be fair to someone else that we are "copying".

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have a definitive answer, but if I see a card that inspires me in some way, I consider that just a springboard and I make my own new and usually quite different card.

If I CASE something, I would take that to mean I copy it as precisely as possible, given the different stamp set or embellishments I may have to use.

To CASE something and not acknowledge the original creator is wrong. WRONG. It is cheating if I imply that I thought of it. Even if I'm not sure who it was, I say so.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 03:54 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

For me personally, I usually save copies of cards I like and view them in Picassa and tag them by designer so I know who to give credit to if it's extremely similair. But sometimes just using the same lo as another designer, your card can sometimes almost look like a copy.
I saw on another thread (which I can't find) a poster said that as long as you make 2 changes, then it is no longer a CASE.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 03:56 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

I think that CASEing means copy and self express. Which in my mind means take someones design and do your own thing with it. I will look at a design and not necesarily have the same, stamps, paper, or what have you and improvise using my own things using the card I'm Caseing as a jumping off point. I call it a CASE because it was not my original idea and got it from seeing someone elses work so I don't feel comfortable posting it here or on my blog without saying it was a CASE from either the SCS Gallery, a blog, or magazine. I usually do try to cite where it idea came from when I can. CASEing is a real good way to learn and even if you copy it item for item, you are learning something from it and as long as you are not taking full credit for the idea for the design when you post it somewhere or using it inappropriately in a contest or something, I say CASE away. Most stampers would be flattered that you took notice of something they did and gave them a little shout out. An easy way to remember who posted what idea you like is to put it in your SCS My Favorites gallery and then you can refer back to it and give the person credit for inspiring you. When I see something in someone's blog I like, I marking in my browser's favorites so I can find it again when I'm posting my CASE.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by cindy501View Post
I think that CASEing means copy and self express. Which in my mind means take someones design and do your own thing with it. I will look at a design and not necesarily have the same, stamps, paper, or what have you and improvise using my own things using the card I'm Caseing as a jumping off point. I call it a CASE because it was not my original idea and got it from seeing someone elses work so I don't feel comfortable posting it here or on my blog without saying it was a CASE from either the SCS Gallery, a blog, or magazine. I usually do try to cite where it idea came from when I can. CASEing is a real good way to learn and even if you copy it item for item, you are learning something from it and as long as you are not taking full credit for the idea for the design when you post it somewhere or using it inappropriately in a contest or something, I say CASE away. Most stampers would be flattered that you took notice of something they did and gave them a little shout out. An easy way to remember who posted what idea you like is to put it in your SCS My Favorites gallery and then you can refer back to it and give the person credit for inspiring you. When I see something in someone's blog I like, I marking in my browser's favorites so I can find it again when I'm posting my CASE.
I learned soo many new techniques from CASEing when I first started stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 06:30 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok, I admit to allot of CASEing lately (*embarrassed*). But I made sure to post who I was scraplifting from. In my humble and meager defence, I do not submit my cards to be sold or in contests at all. They are purely gifts to famliy or frie ds for kindesses shown to me or my family (AKA - thank you cards) and birthday cards. I am honestly doing it to jump startideas or creativity. I have just started to make cards so I am still ki da trying to get the hang of it, as it is much different then scrapbooking, I think. I am sorry I do it but everyone here is so talented and because if it I am getting better at it though.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 06:31 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Oops sorry for the bad spelling in the post, I'm holding my three month old and she's wiggly

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 07:35 PM   #11  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

To me, and this is what I did, this card is a CASE. Be sure to look at mine and Latisha's and you will see it was a true CASE except my DP was different and my ribbon. That's two things, like they ask you to change in the Featured Stamper to make it yours; BUT although 2 materials were different because I didn't have exactly what she had on hand, I still feel that it was a full on CASE and Latisha deserved the credit for my "inspiration." I think that's only fair and shows good stamp etiquette. I've seen a lot of my stuff dead on CASEd and credit should be given where credit is due, IMHO, and that's a sore spot with me a bit.

Now, if I look at 6 cards and take an element I like from each of them and make my own, then that's my own pretty much and I'm not going to refer back to each card saying I got my inspiration from Susan's flowers, my button from Jane, my punch from Mary, etc., because it's a completely separate creation.

This is a place for ideas and we all get ideas from each other and use them on our cards and make them our own, but there is a difference between being inspired and flat out copying somebody.

Stampin' Up! Only Challenges Design Team
Proud Fan Club Member Since 2007
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 08:12 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardmaker2View Post
I don't have a definitive answer, but if I see a card that inspires me in some way, I consider that just a springboard and I make my own new and usually quite different card.

If I CASE something, I would take that to mean I copy it as precisely as possible, given the different stamp set or embellishments I may have to use.

To CASE something and not acknowledge the original creator is wrong. WRONG. It is cheating if I imply that I thought of it. Even if I'm not sure who it was, I say so.
I agree, there IS no definitive answer to this one. I've read so many threads about this that I think we can all agree to it or agree to disagree. Up until recently, I've had the same definition of CASEing. However, because there's different interpretations of what it truly means, I feel we should just do what is most comfortable for each of us in the most respectful way. I just don't feel comfortable calling someone else's creation mine, even though I am physically making it (copying etc). To me, it would be like copying someone's paper (plagiarism) and then calling it mine just because I physically copied it. Above all else, I want to avoid someone calling me a "scrapllifter" (love that term though - made me chuckle). I just decided that if I use someone's ideas, I give credit. If it's mine, no worries.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 09:39 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

A friend once said if you have to keep looking back at the original while making your own card the it is copying.
I think if the originator is selling their wares, than I would stay away from copying it if I too were selling mine, or submitting to a magazine, or gaining something for it, or I would email the originator and ask how they felt about it.
Everyone has their own idea of what is okay and what is not. Personally I think there are three things involved. The layout, the paper and the stamp/or center of the attention. I think if you are using 2 out of 3 the same as the original artists, then you should ask (unless of course as stated before it is for personal use.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 09:48 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by michellesscrapView Post
A friend once said if you have to keep looking back at the original while making your own card the it is copying.
What a great way to think of this. I'm soo adopting this motto.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 02:24 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

What I can't get a handle on is, using a "sketch" or layout idea. If you are using the layout idea only and changing everything including minor changes to the layout, is it then a case or inspired by or how does that work? It is one of the things that keep me from posting in my gallery. I'm always worried that I may inadvertantly have a layout on my card that is similar to someone elses layout. After all these years of paper crafting by everybody, how many original layouts are there?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 03:38 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by havonfamilyView Post
Ok, I admit to allot of CASEing lately (*embarrassed*). But I made sure to post who I was scraplifting from. In my humble and meager defence, I do not submit my cards to be sold or in contests at all. They are purely gifts to famliy or frie ds for kindesses shown to me or my family (AKA - thank you cards) and birthday cards. I am honestly doing it to jump startideas or creativity. I have just started to make cards so I am still ki da trying to get the hang of it, as it is much different then scrapbooking, I think. I am sorry I do it but everyone here is so talented and because if it I am getting better at it though.
That is exactly how I started and how I started learning. First I started CASEing from the SU catalog and then my SU DEMO turned me on to SCS and I could then see how you can really be creative and mix and match SU sets and all the other different supplies and tools that were out there. I have been inspired by so many lovely crafters here on SCS and now by the many different bloggers I follow. Everyone has to start somewhere. I think the main thing is is that if you see something somewhere that inspires you and are grateful for that person taking the time to post or publish their creation then it is a good idea to mention it if you are posting it anywhere such as your blog or SCS gallery. In regards to the layouts, since so many of us follow different sketch challenges or whatever, if you use one of those layouts as a base for your design, I don't think you have to say everytime you use that sketch that it is a CASE and who you are CASEing as long as the rest of the design (stamps, papers, embellishments, etc) make it unique. I think even the top card designers I've seen here and in the blogosphere springboard off each other for inspiration. Just if you see something somewhere and use an idea you have seen, it is a good idea to mention and give props so to speak. Let your conscious be your guide but don't get too bogged down with feeling like you have to credit every single little thing otherwise your posts would look like the credits at the end of a movie. Create and have fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 01:58 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by havonfamilyView Post
And I think CASEing is ok even when they're given out as gifts. I save thumbnails to my computer of some of my favorite cards and flip through them when I need some inspiration. If I have alot from one particular designer, I actually make a folder with their name and file all their pictures into that folder.

Also watermarks on photos help me when I'm needing to give credit online to someome, but can't remember who it was.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 04:00 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

I think of CASE as being exactly or almost exactly the same. I think being inspired is maybe copying a color combo, or layout, etc. and making it your own. I have done both, but when my card looks very much like my inspiration (a CASE in my eyes), I definitely give credit to the original artist.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 10:34 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh I so agree....

I do see sketches/layouts ...whatever you like to call them being attributed to this person or that person ALL the time.....when I know I have seen them around before, through the years. Truly, there aren't too many ways of laying out a card which could truly be called original nowadays.....and then just who do you credit it with anyway...the one person who has the biggest name/group/or challenge out there???

Michelle

[QUOTE=RubberLady603;15819414]What I can't get a handle on is, using a "sketch" or layout idea. If you are using the layout idea only and changing everything including minor changes to the layout, is it then a case or inspired by or how does that work? It is one of the things that keep me from posting in my gallery. I'm always worried that I may inadvertantly have a layout on my card that is similar to someone elses layout. After all these years of paper crafting by everybody, how many original layouts are there?[/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 10:39 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I like that bit...Rings true for me!

Given my previous statement though, I have trouble with the sketch/layout being part of the case thing. A case to me is an exact copy...or very near to...but of course, that is my opinion only. If the feel of the card is such that it looks enough like someone else's I will certainly credit that person (hopefully knowing who they are!)

But given the same sketch and stamp...which is two of the criteria mentioned....6 differnt stampers will come up with 6 totally different outcomes.... I most certainly would not be thinking case!

Michelle

Quote:

Originally Posted by michellesscrapView Post
I think if the originator is selling their wares, than I would stay away from copying it if I too were selling mine, or submitting to a magazine, or gaining something for it, or I would email the originator and ask how they felt about it.
Everyone has their own idea of what is okay and what is not. Personally I think there are three things involved. The layout, the paper and the stamp/or center of the attention. I think if you are using 2 out of 3 the same as the original artists, then you should ask (unless of course as stated before it is for personal use.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2010, 10:40 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Actually.....I have been thinking that would make a great challenge!!!!

Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes