Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-27-2009, 01:00 PM   #81  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My thoughts:

1. There are an infinite number of challenges out there.
2. I still visit SCS daily, but I visit certain blogs and other site as well.
3. I pick the challenges on here that I like, and I often combine them (color challenges with sketches).
4. I rarely get very many comments, especially if it isn't an SU set (bums me a little, but I can deal).
5. Maybe off-topic, but some of the "rules" that are being enforced on here are a bit petty, so that makes my trips to the site a bit less frequent.

Just my 2 cents...not trying to give sour grapes, just honesty!

Nancy

Southern Yankee Crafter Blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 01:01 PM   #82  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpmayoView Post

The SCS Challenges are what helped me grow as as stamper when I started stamping a few years ago so I will never stop at least checking them out...
i just thought of this too... I did the challenges when i was a beginner EVERY DAY, and it really helped me become the stamper i am today. NOW when I sit down to do a card I don't "hum and haw" about layout, colours or technique etc, so maybe i don't need the challenges like I used to... just a thought...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 02:47 PM   #83  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I just recently discovered the challenges... and more challenges. I can't keep up and I have a list!
I love to make a card everyday if I can and post it, but there's just challenges everywhere! Sometimes there's one that doesn't suit me right now, or I don't have time, so I don't, but I've really enjoyed them.
I think if they were all posted in one place! That really helps (there's the ones on the front page, but as I'm looking at cards and reading that they're a submission for such and such a challenge, I don't even know where they find those challenges!
I'll keep playing, when I can!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 02:54 PM   #84  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by nabushView Post
My thoughts:

1. There are an infinite number of challenges out there.
2. I still visit SCS daily, but I visit certain blogs and other site as well.
3. I pick the challenges on here that I like, and I often combine them (color challenges with sketches).
4. I rarely get very many comments, especially if it isn't an SU set (bums me a little, but I can deal).
5. Maybe off-topic, but some of the "rules" that are being enforced on here are a bit petty, so that makes my trips to the site a bit less frequent.

Just my 2 cents...not trying to give sour grapes, just honesty!

Nancy
Just a question. What rules?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #85  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne SView Post
i was wondering the same thing...

i wonder if i have been breaking many!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 03:04 PM   #86  
Sassy Sarcastic Stamper

I haven't had the time, motivation, or desire to stamp lately, so I haven't played the challanges in such a LONG time. Things are gradually starting to "get back to normal" for me but after being cooped up with broken bones for so long I just want to go go go (and not sit still to do anything).

I totally admire and respect all that you do for your family, SCS, and your friends. You are one amazing woman, Faith.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 04:14 PM   #87  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by momis mamaView Post

Ditto.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 04:16 PM   #88  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by momis mamaView Post

Me too!!! lol....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 05:06 PM   #89  
Chat Box Chicks Good Girl

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by markie's momView Post
Well...I can assure you, that if you participated in the daily challenges and posted before 9PM EST, I WOULD COMMENT on your card! I try to comment on EVERY card in the challenges...
and I for one- LOVE your comments- they make my day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 05:08 PM   #90  
Insane Embellisher

I participate in the Sketch Challenge when I see an idea in my head that will fit the sketch. If I can't picture anything, I don't make it. Silly, but true. Sometimes I'm too tired to stamp after work during the week, and I go do something or rest up on the weekends. Other times, I have crafter's block, or what I'm trying just doesn't want to work with me. So I'll leave it for a later time.

I enjoy looking at the projects and trying to get ideas. Sometimes others' work is too intimidating for me to try to compare! I do like to receive comments, and don't always get too many, but don't worry about it. If I like it, that's what matters. If I don't like it, I'm not showing anyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 05:10 PM   #91  

Faith, everything you do is always appreciated but commenting is important. SCS has done an awful lot just in the past month to make them faster and they're pretty much instant now. What I've definitely noticed is that people will only comment on your picture if you've commented on theirs. There's a few die-hards out there, like yourself, who will comment on everything that they possibly can comment on. Challenge cards always get more attention and probably always will. Another thing, and honestly some may not like this, but with the challenge cards, there's a list of specifics and I constantly see the hostess of these challenges be disrespected because the rules aren't followed and great liberties are taken to the point where I don't even recognize the challenge and I won't comment on those cards because then it's not a challenge card and to me, that was just to draw attention to your card.

Some were complaining about descriptions to go to their blog. That is to get traffic to their blog and hopefully get followers and recognition. Because of this, many SCSers have 10 pages of comments within 2 minutes of putting their projects up because they're generated the interest. I direct people to my blog because I don't want to have to type the recipe twice but I have been putting in just the basics lately and a more detailed description on my blog.

I think that there are a lot of challenges elsewhere and since I'm a creature of habit, I rarely venture outside of here but when I do, it's to Gina K. and her Stamp TV to browse around. I found PCP to confusing at first but I'm sure that they've changed a lot since they started.

I think that the participation in challenges have dwindled a bit because of the economy, but mainly because of the time factor. You may be able to put together a card in 5 minutes but that's not the case for many of us. Sometimes it will take me an hour to put together a card because I'm always trying different things.

I know that in the future and even now my time even making a card has gone by the wayside because of the magazine I'm putting together and then after that, who knows. I know that's going to take up a lot of my time, but I'll always love SCS because if it wasn't for this place and the participants, I wouldn't have developed the passion that I have for paper crafting or learned even a fraction of what I learned here. I also have to mention that there are the nicest, most helpful women here on this site that I've ever met on an internet board.

On the "bad" side, I think that a lot of stampers get discouraged because their fabulous work never gets recognized on any Favorites List and I purposely make it a point to seek out those who aren't mentioned week after week. It's the same faces and we all know their work is superb but that list needs some fresh blood and I think that if people really looked, they'd find it and it's easy enough to do. It's an exclusive, cliquish list and I only post on it to bring to the forefront stampers who usually wouldn't be mentioned. I think that people just get tired of trying. And I've mentioned this before.

I think that SCS just needs some freshness and that's the only word that I can come up with. Regardless of the above, SCS is a place that I'd never want to see disappear, only improve, and I do think it succeeds at that, but the participants also need to help each other out too in seeking out that freshness.

Quote:

Originally Posted by markie's momView Post
Diane,

This thread got into "comments,etc." That is NOT what I was addressing, however, it seems to be a hot topic. Thank you for bringing it back to the initial question.

With that in mind, I wanted to address some of the issues mentioned about "time" to participate, etc. (Heck, you all had GREAT answers, and I thought you may want to hear what I thought...Maybe not! LOL!)

I am a full professor at a local private university. I have an elementary school age child. I am the caregiver for my dying mother. I am also the responsible party for my Alzheimer's ridden father. I have a SU! business and hold weekly stamp camps. I babysit my sister's ill children, weekly. I garden. I have 11 pets! I'm a Cub Scout leader. I'm on 5 design teams. I read, grade papers and design quilts. However, that said, I'm totally in love with my best friend, my FABULOUS husband. Without him, I could NEVER do it all.

However, and THIS IS MY PERSONAL choice, I spend my "spare time" on SCS. I LOVE it here! And, the SCS community is WONDERFUL. The stampers here CARE about one another. We send RAK's, we comment on each other's cards, we are the shoulder to cry on, and this is the place to get inspiration.

I have been stamping on and off for over 20 years. I love to sit down and make a card. It's fast. It's creative. It's DONE!

I started participating in the daily challenges and noticed that I was being "forced" to work outside my "box." I also noticed that I started to actually LIKE my cards. LOL The more SCS challenges, the more confident I became.

Diane, I find that you have hit the nail on the head!
I also have had to prune down to just SCS and a FEW other "favorite" challenges.

Time being so precious to each of us, I just feel that SCS brought me to the dance, and I'm going stick with "him" and dance with a FEW others, but make sure that I go home with the "guy" who brought me....

Thanks EVERYONE for your great input...
Faith

Stampin' Up! Only Challenges Design Team
Proud Fan Club Member Since 2007

Last edited by KY Southern Belle; 03-27-2009 at 05:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 05:20 PM   #92  

And one more thing, I do think the member companies need their own board and we can go there and look if we want. It clutter's up this General Board which I why I don't visit here as often.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 05:53 PM   #93  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ultimately, WHY does it really matter whether challenge participation (here or anywhere else, for that matter) is high or low?

Everybody has preferences, and makes choices on what activities to spend their free time on, and where, and no matter what else is in their schedule.

When I have precious creative free time, I personally do not find it enjoyable to be constrained by parameters, restrictions or rules that are inherent with challenges, so I guess I have an aversion to them. Always have, and probably always will. ;)

Some folks love challenges and are very devoted participants. And, Holy Mother of Pearl, there are a gazillion out there. ;) I think that's cool, if that's what you like and what you choose to spend your time on, however, whenever, wherever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 07:28 PM   #94  

You sound just like this wonderful free spirit I met up in St. Louis the other day. I think you know her. Her name's Beth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
Ultimately, WHY does it really matter whether challenge participation (here or anywhere else, for that matter) is high or low?

Everybody has preferences, and makes choices on what activities to spend their free time on, and where, and no matter what else is in their schedule.

When I have precious creative free time, I personally do not find it enjoyable to be constrained by parameters, restrictions or rules that are inherent with challenges, so I guess I have an aversion to them. Always have, and probably always will. ;)

Some folks love challenges and are very devoted participants. And, Holy Mother of Pearl, there are a gazillion out there. ;) I think that's cool, if that's what you like and what you choose to spend your time on, however, whenever, wherever.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 07:47 PM   #95  
Hardware Hotshot

In the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter. She was just asking a question out of curiosity. I was blog hopping this evening and found a challenge on just about every blog! I get overwhelmed when presented with too many choices so I stick with SCS challenges. I'm sporadic, though. Sometimes I'll be on a creative roll and do a lot of challenges but then I'll go a spell without doing one. I'm just glad they are there when I need some inspiration.

Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 08:14 PM   #96  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

I must say I totally agree with everything you have said. You took the words right out of my mouth and I didn't even know they were there. LOL!

I only wanted to add that I do feel like if I don't post a challenge project it seems to get lost in the gallery. And I usually don't have time to do it same day. I work full-time weekdays so I don't have a chance to get to it until maybe that night or the weekend. I can't do a project no matter what it is in less than an hour. I am a slow stamper. Then the time it takes to get a picture and add details is just too much. And with only a few views it is not always worth it. I want to share with those that actually want to look. I also get overwhelmed sometimes by restrictions of a challenge. I just want to create without any rules most of the time.

I do plan to participate in challenges in the future just not all of them and every week perhaps. I really only prefer the color, sketch and ispiration challenges.

Faith, you sound like you have a very busy life and you seem to love it. That is wonderful for you. I personally could never function on less than 8 hours of sleep every night. I also have other things in life that I enjoy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KY Southern BelleView Post
Faith, everything you do is always appreciated but commenting is important. SCS has done an awful lot just in the past month to make them faster and they're pretty much instant now. What I've definitely noticed is that people will only comment on your picture if you've commented on theirs. There's a few die-hards out there, like yourself, who will comment on everything that they possibly can comment on. Challenge cards always get more attention and probably always will. Another thing, and honestly some may not like this, but with the challenge cards, there's a list of specifics and I constantly see the hostess of these challenges be disrespected because the rules aren't followed and great liberties are taken to the point where I don't even recognize the challenge and I won't comment on those cards because then it's not a challenge card and to me, that was just to draw attention to your card.

Some were complaining about descriptions to go to their blog. That is to get traffic to their blog and hopefully get followers and recognition. Because of this, many SCSers have 10 pages of comments within 2 minutes of putting their projects up because they're generated the interest. I direct people to my blog because I don't want to have to type the recipe twice but I have been putting in just the basics lately and a more detailed description on my blog.

I think that there are a lot of challenges elsewhere and since I'm a creature of habit, I rarely venture outside of here but when I do, it's to Gina K. and her Stamp TV to browse around. I found PCP to confusing at first but I'm sure that they've changed a lot since they started.

I think that the participation in challenges have dwindled a bit because of the economy, but mainly because of the time factor. You may be able to put together a card in 5 minutes but that's not the case for many of us. Sometimes it will take me an hour to put together a card because I'm always trying different things.

I know that in the future and even now my time even making a card has gone by the wayside because of the magazine I'm putting together and then after that, who knows. I know that's going to take up a lot of my time, but I'll always love SCS because if it wasn't for this place and the participants, I wouldn't have developed the passion that I have for paper crafting or learned even a fraction of what I learned here. I also have to mention that there are the nicest, most helpful women here on this site that I've ever met on an internet board.

On the "bad" side, I think that a lot of stampers get discouraged because their fabulous work never gets recognized on any Favorites List and I purposely make it a point to seek out those who aren't mentioned week after week. It's the same faces and we all know their work is superb but that list needs some fresh blood and I think that if people really looked, they'd find it and it's easy enough to do. It's an exclusive, cliquish list and I only post on it to bring to the forefront stampers who usually wouldn't be mentioned. I think that people just get tired of trying. And I've mentioned this before.

I think that SCS just needs some freshness and that's the only word that I can come up with. Regardless of the above, SCS is a place that I'd never want to see disappear, only improve, and I do think it succeeds at that, but the participants also need to help each other out too in seeking out that freshness.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 08:19 PM   #97  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne SView Post
she may be referring to the Sketch challenge. Roxy likes the sketch AS IS, and she's said as much many times.. Other sketch challenges (like CPS) are very loosey-goosey which is what i prefer.. I like the challenge to be a STARTING POINT, not a structured set of rules. Not a judgement (i LOVE Roxy for all the work she does) just something I've noticed...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 08:29 PM   #98  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 866 Posts
Default challenges

I LOVE the challenges- they have really helped me grow as a stamper (wanna be artist). I have just been too dang busy! I really need to use the color wheel and the color challenge really lets you see colors you would never dream of putting together- and the sketch challenge has really really helped me- instead of just copying cards, I now try to create my own version of a card. I also seem to love trying new Techniques- wish I could do each and every one!

Thanks to all who work so hard host(ess)ing the challenges!

Shelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 08:49 PM   #99  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post
she may be referring to the Sketch challenge. Roxy likes the sketch AS IS, and she's said as much many times.. Other sketch challenges (like CPS) are very loosey-goosey which is what i prefer.. I like the challenge to be a STARTING POINT, not a structured set of rules. Not a judgement (i LOVE Roxy for all the work she does) just something I've noticed...
See...... I kinda like having that particular more structured challenge to do. It makes me work my brain a bit to fit the sketch. I do plenty that are just "jumping off" point challenges. I try my best to get the SCS Sketch done each week.

There truly is something for everyone out there. I just hope every keeps posting in the gallery here so we can see them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 10:02 PM   #100  
Die Cut Diva

Just my 2 cents. This has been a very interesting thread to read. I love the fact that it has remained so civilized. And yes, Faith, you are the Queen of Comments! (And obviously Wonder Woman as well!)

I do find it interesting that the daily numbers have dropped along with the challenge partcipation. I too think it is partly related to the popularity of blogs. I myself have a blog, and sometimes I really wonder why I bother. I'd rather come here to SCS and hang out! It's so much more fun and interactive. I also find it interesting that some (not all!) of the so-called "famous" stampers (who became "famous" with the help of SCS, IMO) no longer frequent this site. They strictly stick to blog-hopping. It doesn't make me mad, just kinda makes me sad. Sorta like a girl who got left at the dance.

And well, let's not even get into all the new "communities" that are popping up. I'm happy right here at SCS. It's comfortable to me. I know where everything is and how it all works.

Last year, I became obsessed with doing the challenges. It really helped me grow as a stamper, but quite honestly, it began to get in the way of my "normal" life. It was almost like an addiction. I didn't do anything else until I had completed the daily challenge. Totally off my rocker! I realized I had to give that up. Now I happily partcipate in challenges when I'm able. And I also had to get over the whole coment thing. I look more at the number of times my card is viewed. That counts for something too. I'm also on the West Coast and I just can't get my cards loaded fast enough. But that's O.K. It's all good!

Just want to give a big THANK YOU to all the challenge hostesses. Your efforts are very much appreciated. You guys ROCK!

Wow! That more than 2 cents worth. That's like a dollar right there!

MY PINTEREST BOARDS MY BLOG MY WEBSITE
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 02:30 AM   #101  
PAPER SCAPER

Quote:

I feel a explaination is in order, sorry for the length but it's all the facts.

WHY YOU SEE GUIDELINES IN THE SKETCH CHALLENGE

I got complaints about players not following the challenge and was asked could I do something. So I put a blurb in the challenge for a while and I stated that it was a player�s request that it be there. I didn�t know what else to do and as time went on I removed it.
I was also asked more than once could I block out their keywords if they don�t follow the layout presented�NO I CAN�T! ;)

For a long time there was nothing in the challenge and what I have posted there now is not even my words but a quote of the first SC hostess and then my words on flipping, panel sizes and whatever.
When I didn�t have it there I got questioned as to how the challenge was to be played, since I added that paragraph no one has contacted me.
I informed an SCS administrator and the challenge forums head moderator to look it over and let me know if I should change any wording.

Everyone needs to remember there are new people finding the challenges all the time and they want guidelines. Some even ask permission to play!
-And another important item to remember is that a real live person is connected to the example presented each week. If it was your layout and players go off and do their own thing as if her idea wasn�t good enough...How would you feel?
Sorry but I�ve always been a softy when it comes to people�s feelings.

Now that I know this exist, if I ever get a complaint about players not following the layout I tell them, �there is a report this photo option under the description box, feel free to report a non challenge layout if you wish�.
Since I�ve told that to a few members (and word travels fast by PM I�m sure) I haven�t had a complaint in a year! And I was told that they would not put their name to a complaint�okay fine, then why make me your go between!!!

So that pretty much explains why you see some guidelines and I don�t call them rules. But it is a challenge about a layout, if you don�t do the layout posted how on earth did it challenge you? :confused:

By the way: I did get an unpleasant message once and she didn�t like the way the layout was presented. So I will now credit the ideas behind the presentation:
-the numbers were a suggestion from Mona Lisa.
-the SC week number was a suggestion from Leigh O�Brien.
-the colors, I don�t remember but I don�t think I can claim it as my idea.
She also thought that measurements were ridiculous. That is why they are offered to those that want them in my card description! And of course there are some who think I'm trying to lure them in for a comment...NOT AT ALL!

As I told an SCS member last week, my main concern is to keep building the sketch files with new ideas for stampers to fall back on. I present the layout and if they don�t follow - it is NO LONGER my concern!

So I do my best to please everyone but there will always be someone who is unhappy! That's a fact of life! :(

The FS does have RULES and the IC has a blurb about how the challenge works, that�s no different than what�s in the SC.

And I will end this with a :-D !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 02:51 AM   #102  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I know this is wandering a bit from Faith's OP, but I too was wondering and scratching my head when I came across the *rules* post. I'm with Jeanne on the fact that trying to stick to the sketch pretty much as presented is the challenge. Otherwise it's an inspiration challenge using a sketch to be inspired by...(just my opinion). Thanks for that explanatory post, Roxie. I know doing the sketch challenges has become easier for me (mostly) the more I've done them, so I take that to mean that I have learnt and grown a bit through doing them.
As for cards that deviate too much from the challenge, sketch or otherwise - I wouldn't report them, but unless it's a stunning card in its own right, I have to admit I'd be less likely to comment. I mean, if I'd have commented if I'd seen it as a card in the general gallery, then I'd comment anyway. But if it's in the challenge gallery and I am wondering why it's there, then I probably just pass by.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 04:34 AM   #103  
Watercolor Wizard

Very interesting discussion! I never did challenges before the CAS challenge got started last month...not because I didn't want to, but because I didn't know how and was afraid to get it "wrong." Also, the time constraint bothered me. I felt like I needed to ACT NOW, and my crafting time is extremely unpredictable. All of this reflects my own ignorance of the whole challenge concept, not anything wrong with challenges in general. Finally, the sheer number of challenges out there overwhelms me and I just have to ignore most of it. Lots of the blogs I read post challenges or cards for challenges, and I just pay attention to their cards, not the links to others. Sometimes, it's just sensory overload for me. I've got enough on my brain as it is....;)

As for the OP, this may explain part of why challenge participation seems to be down. "Too much" makes some people walk away completely.

What has surprised me most about the CAS challenge is how different people define CAS. For some, it's really hard to "keep it simple," and some of the posts in the CAS gallery don't look very CAS to me. But so what? For these stampers, five layers and only two cuttlebug folders really IS keeping it simple, LOL! They are "challenged" to limit themselves that much, and I think it's great when people stretch themselves creatively. Everyone just has a different starting point to stretch from, and it would bother me if people felt shut out of that challenge in particular because their cards weren't simple "enough," whatever that means.

It's all good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 05:32 AM   #104  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

Love your sketches Roxie! Thank you so much for all the work that you put into them each week. ::

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rox71View Post

I got complaints about players not following the challenge and was asked could I do something. So I put a blurb in the challenge for a while and I stated that it was a player�s request that it be there. I didn�t know what else to do and as time went on I removed it.
I was also asked more than once could I block out their keywords if they don�t follow the layout presented�NO I CAN�T!

For a long time there was nothing in the challenge and what I have posted there now is not even my words but a quote of the first SC hostess and then my words on flipping, panel sizes and whatever.
When I didn�t have it there I got questioned as to how the challenge was to be played, since I added that paragraph no one has contacted me.
I informed an SCS administrator and the challenge forums head moderator to look it over and let me know if I should change any wording.

Everyone needs to remember there are new people finding the challenges all the time and they want guidelines. Some even ask permission to play!
-And another important item to remember is that a real live person is connected to the example presented each week. If it was your layout and players go off and do their own thing as if her idea wasn�t good enough...How would you feel?
Sorry but I�ve always been a softy when it comes to people�s feelings.

Now that I know this exist, if I ever get a complaint about players not following the layout I tell them, �there is a report this photo option under the description box, feel free to report a non challenge layout if you wish�.
Since I�ve told that to a few members (and word travels fast by PM I�m sure) I haven�t had a complaint in a year! And I was told that they would not put their name to a complaint�okay fine, then why make me your go between!!!

So that pretty much explains why you see some guidelines and I don�t call them rules. But it is a challenge about a layout, if you don�t do the layout posted how on earth did it challenge you? :confused:

By the way: I did get an unpleasant message once and she didn�t like the way the layout was presented. So I will now credit the ideas behind the presentation:
-the numbers were a suggestion from Mona Lisa.
-the SC week number was a suggestion from Leigh O�Brien.
-the colors, I don�t remember but I don�t think I can claim it as my idea.
She also thought that measurements were ridiculous. That is why they are offered to those that want them in my card description! And of course there are some who think I'm trying to lure them in for a comment...NOT AT ALL!

As I told an SCS member last week, my main concern is to keep building the sketch files with new ideas for stampers to fall back on. I present the layout and if they don�t follow - it is NO LONGER my concern!

So I do my best to please everyone but there will always be someone who is unhappy! That's a fact of life! :(

The FS does have RULES and the IC has a blurb about how the challenge works, that�s no different than what�s in the SC.

And I will end this with a :-D !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 05:50 AM   #105  

Received 206 Likes on 185 Posts

It's all good.[/quote]

This has been a very interesting thread. I sense a lot of emotion both good and bad. I love SCS and all the talented, fantastic inspiration it provides everyday. I love the challenges even if I don't get to participate all the time due to time restraints. So much of what happens on this site has helped me become more creative with my cards and I hope to continue to be able to grow and become even more creative. I stamp and create because I enjoy and love it. I hope that we don't lose sight of that....so I guess to me it doesn't matter how many participate in a challenge on any one day, I still go check out the gallery and ohhh and awww over the wonderful creations. I also have to say thanks to the girls who so faithful plan and implement the challenges every week. I appreciate them for organizing and getting us thinking outside the box. I also thanks all who get to participate...I do so appreciate see all your works of art and how it ispires me to create more.
Just my thoughts......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 05:56 AM   #106  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rox71View Post

I was also asked more than once could I block out their keywords if they don�t follow the layout presented�NO I CAN�T! ;)

![/SIZE]
There is so much in your message-0 but wow I can't believe people complain to you for volunteering to do something that helps someone like me! I love that you put in measurements, I love that you challenge us to stick to the sketch, I love that you no matter what is happening in your life make sure we get a sketch each week, so thank you.
The first challenges I did were your sketches- I admit it took me a year to realise I could post even if I didn't use SU (IT was before SU came to England)
But honest to goodness Roxy without your sketches half the people I know would not have received cards. I love them.
So Thank you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 06:17 AM   #107  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

No, it wasn't what I was referring to at all...some site rules! I PMed the people who asked. I wanted to chime in here so there was not a misunderstanding. The sketch challenges are the ones that I do faithfully, and Roxy is one of my favorite hosts (the others are awesome, too!)! It's something completely different!

Nancy

Southern Yankee Crafter Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 06:28 AM   #108  
PAPER SCAPER

Thanks Jeanne, Sabrina and coffeaddictsam and all the other SCS members that send me a PM of thanks for the sketches.

I also would like to credit members for:
the date in the title,
the email notification thread,
and measurements were also members ideas, more than one requested those but I'm sorry I don't know their names of any these members without looking through the Got a Question thread which is way to much work for me! I'd rather be stamping!

And nabush/Nancy, I knew you didn't mean me!

By the way SCS members, Nancy started a thread that she called the Sketch Challenges challenge that you can link your card to if you do old sketch challenges, you will find that linked in the master thread for easy access.

I'll be back with some info about the topic Faith meant this thread to be about in a bit! It's all good stats too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 07:12 AM   #109  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by KY Southern BelleView Post
You sound just like this wonderful free spirit I met up in St. Louis the other day. I think you know her. Her name's Beth.
Indeed, I do know Beth. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 07:27 AM   #110  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossomView Post
Very interesting discussion! I never did challenges before the CAS challenge got started last month...not because I didn't want to, but because I didn't know how and was afraid to get it "wrong." Also, the time constraint bothered me. I felt like I needed to ACT NOW, and my crafting time is extremely unpredictable. All of this reflects my own ignorance of the whole challenge concept, not anything wrong with challenges in general. Finally, the sheer number of challenges out there overwhelms me and I just have to ignore most of it. Lots of the blogs I read post challenges or cards for challenges, and I just pay attention to their cards, not the links to others. Sometimes, it's just sensory overload for me. I've got enough on my brain as it is....;)

As for the OP, this may explain part of why challenge participation seems to be down. "Too much" makes some people walk away completely.
I tend to agree with that. For me, it's like walking into a room where there is so much noise, I cannot hear myself think. So, I just retreat to my quiet happy place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 07:33 AM   #111  
Cardstock Collector

Hi I was wondering if any Stampin Up demo could answer a question for me. I have had a bad credit card imput and want to just cancel the whole order. Other credit cards have been Authorized. Is a cancel even possible what do I do???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 07:53 AM   #112  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've NEVER done a challenge...BUT I WANT TO soooo bad...:-D

my reasons for not are simple....my head is still reeling from all the talent here.....I STILL don't know how to U/L a picture to the gallery......most times I just don't understand it (I have health issues that make things confusing to me)...

BUT one of these days I WILL....

I do have a ? about comments and I am in NO way a critic...but do people want honest comments or always great going good job comments?.....I saw one card that was wonderful except *I* felt the sentiment should of been a little larger it was kinda lost with everything else....but I would never of said anything..

with anything I would EVER u/l I would hope that I could get some good honest critisim (sp)....so that I could *LEARN*...this is just a ? that I've been wondering????

I do want to THANK all those that host the challenges AND participate....you do HELP me learn and I have sooo much to learn, I get over whelmed which is not hard when you take morphine on a daily basis..:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 08:00 AM   #113  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Indeed, I do know Beth. ;)
Julie knows everybody!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 08:04 AM   #114  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by skdeleeuwView Post
Just my 2 cents. This has been a very interesting thread to read. I love the fact that it has remained so civilized. And yes, Faith, you are the Queen of Comments! (And obviously Wonder Woman as well!)

I do find it interesting that the daily numbers have dropped along with the challenge partcipation. I too think it is partly related to the popularity of blogs. I myself have a blog, and sometimes I really wonder why I bother. I'd rather come here to SCS and hang out! It's so much more fun and interactive. I also find it interesting that some (not all!) of the so-called "famous" stampers (who became "famous" with the help of SCS, IMO) no longer frequent this site. They strictly stick to blog-hopping. It doesn't make me mad, just kinda makes me sad. Sorta like a girl who got left at the dance.

And well, let's not even get into all the new "communities" that are popping up. I'm happy right here at SCS. It's comfortable to me. I know where everything is and how it all works.
I just wanted to offer a bit of insight on that--speaking for myself only, of course. ;)

SCS has a special place in my heart and always will. It will always be my stamping "home" on the web. When I didn't work full time, I could hang out and chit chat more, create more, share more, comment more, etc.= Julie

I think everybody has to come to terms, at some point, when life changes for them, for whatever reason; I can't speak for anyone else, but, I know balance is something I am constantly trying to find--to be the best wife and mother I can to my family, to perform to the best of my abilities at my job.

And, sometimes, that means something else has got to give.

I've been spread 9 ways to Sunday for about a year now, juggling work and family. I'm not here in the same way I used to be, and when I am, I don't engage in as many conversations as I used to, but, I do usually pop in daily. ;)

Quote:

Last year, I became obsessed with doing the challenges. It really helped me grow as a stamper, but quite honestly, it began to get in the way of my "normal" life. It was almost like an addiction. I didn't do anything else until I had completed the daily challenge. Totally off my rocker! I realized I had to give that up. Now I happily partcipate in challenges when I'm able. And I also had to get over the whole coment thing. I look more at the number of times my card is viewed. That counts for something too. I'm also on the West Coast and I just can't get my cards loaded fast enough. But that's O.K. It's all good!

Just want to give a big THANK YOU to all the challenge hostesses. Your efforts are very much appreciated. You guys ROCK!

Wow! That more than 2 cents worth. That's like a dollar right there!
I can truly see that happening for some folks; an addiction, no matter what kind, is very real, and can wreak havoc on your life, if you don't take control of it. Kinda scary, really! *hug*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 08:14 AM   #115  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by demodebiView Post
I've NEVER done a challenge...BUT I WANT TO soooo bad...:-D

my reasons for not are simple....my head is still reeling from all the talent here.....I STILL don't know how to U/L a picture to the gallery......most times I just don't understand it (I have health issues that make things confusing to me)...

BUT one of these days I WILL....
Maybe try the CAS challenges first? They are normally pretty "easy" on the rules for each week-sometimes just use these range of colors or just use _______ [buttons, punches] on your card. And if you have a question on any of the challenges, I bet if you PM the hostess or one of the participants, they would be glad to help.

Hope you jump in to some challenges soon!

Quote:

Originally Posted by demodebiView Post
I do have a ? about comments and I am in NO way a critic...but do people want honest comments or always great going good job comments?.....I saw one card that was wonderful except *I* felt the sentiment should of been a little larger it was kinda lost with everything else....but I would never of said anything..

with anything I would EVER u/l I would hope that I could get some good honest critisim (sp)....so that I could *LEARN*...this is just a ? that I've been wondering????
I think most gals on here are so polite, they would never dream of leaving a comment with a critique in it. However, if you'd like "honest" comments, you can certainly say that in your card post and that would open the door to people feeling that they could leave some advice or suggestions. I also remember there was a thread around here that was based on leaving critique comments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 08:20 AM   #116  
PAPER SCAPER

Check out the numbers!

I only checked the SC because it seems to be the most popular, no tools or special supplies needed and any type of project is a go!
So I don�t think the number is really dropping. Warm weather, holidays and even difficulty of the layout has a lot to do with numbers but I need to keep a nice balance in the files�something for everyone!

Week#...cards uploaded:
SC56 � 134
SC100 � 184
SC150 � 310
SC175 � 335
SC200 � 464

I love to play the challenges and like all of them! I only do SCS challenges and still don�t have time to fit them all in.
-I don�t do much other than cards so the TLC is not always for me.
-Tuesday�s stamping time is getting my SC card ready to post at midnight so I miss the CC...no in colors here either!
-If the list gets to long for LSC, I seriously give up on the third request if it�s a bad brain functioning day�lol! Too much and I�m overwhelmed and outta here!
-I do like the CAS but I�ve kept cards out of that challenge too because I over did it and that�s one less card to weed through when members are looking for a quickie idea in the CAS gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 08:29 AM   #117  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think most gals on here are so polite, they would never dream of leaving a comment with a critique in it. However, if you'd like "honest" comments, you can certainly say that in your card post and that would open the door to people feeling that they could leave some advice or suggestions. I also remember there was a thread around here that was based on leaving critique comments.

Thanks and PLEASE don't take me wrong....I could NEVER EVER leave a comment that was not nice..it is just totally against my nature....lol..ask my kids...lol..anyway...I will put in (if I EVER get any u/l'd) that I would appreciate honest critism to learn from.....

thanks so much again! and I WILL try the cas challenge..maybe this week!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 10:01 AM   #118  

Wow ... just read/skimmed through most of this thread !

My thoughts. Hmmm ... I've never really paid attention to the amount of participation in any given challenge. I only ever play in the sketch and colour challenge. Once in a blue moon I'll play a different one if it interests me enough. I only have so much time ... BUT, there are a TON of challenges out there and for a while I felt a bit crazy from trying to participate in them all while new ones kept getting added. I finally decided to pick and choose and never faithfully participate in each challenge each week because I simply don't have the time.

Rules have never affected what I do or don't do. If something doesn't work, I don't do it (whether people like it or not --> it's MY artwork and an expression of my creativity).

Comments ... whole 'nother ball of wax. I don't comment on each and every card. I only comment on ones I like when I have time. I know I ought to make more time, but I have 5 kids (ages 8 -1) and I want to stamp in between leaving very little time to comment (although I do spend more time than I ought to in these forums!).

Faith, you've always been an amazing commenter along with several others like KY Southern Belle that I can think of off the top of my head!. Your comments are always appreciated!

So, whether there is a lot of participation or not, I truly enjoy the challenges and appreciate all the effort the hostesses go to to create these and follow through on them! So, kudos to our challenge hostesses who help inspire our creativity! ((((HUGS))))
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 10:56 AM   #119  
Stampin' Fool

Time has been an issue for me. But I'm sure I'll have plenty of time in May and to play.....I'm haveing surgery and will be laid up for awhile. My Dr. says I could be off work for up to 6 weeks! I'm hoping for just a week as I have very little sick time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2009, 11:28 AM   #120  

I've been trying to do more challenges lately (and I like having the cards on hand, so that when I need one all I have to do is pick one out). Some challenges I like more than others and if I don't have the required items for the challenges then I just skip them. Although I have to say that I just love the new clean & simple challenges and I wish we had one every day!!!

As for comments, I have to admit that I do not leave comments like I used to, but lately I've been trying to leave more comments usually in the evening when everyone is sleeping. I just don't have as much time as I'd like. Now that the weather is getting nicer I've been trying to get outside more plus I have a new baby girl and two other children. I'd like to take a moment to say a special thank you to all of you who have left comments for me, I really appreciate it!

I'd also like to say a big thank you to all of the challenge hostess for our challenges everyday. I didn't realize how much time and work was involved until I read Roxie's posts above. You all do such an amazing job!!!
Reply With Quote Likes