Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-29-2006, 08:24 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Default What everyday things do you use for stamping?

I am just wondering if there are a lot of people like me who look at everything that goes through my hands and ask myself "How can I use this in my stamping?"

I love the paper cupholders that they put around the coffee cup so it is not too not to hold. I open them up and have used them in lots of ways. They are corregated already and some have darling prints on them.

I love getting cool paper bags at certain shops. Some have great patterns and I use them for layering and punching.

Wallpaper books are great for punching, layering and such. I also use pages from the scrubbable books to line the bathroom drawers. You can always find outdated books at local wallpaper stores. The paper is also great for certain types of folded projects.

Paint chips.....I only use the ones I have taken for real painting projects.
They are great for punches when you want several shades for the same project. I also have a few outdated paint wands a store gave me. It is like heaven.

Old silk flowers for prisma.

Ribbon from other gifts.

My favorite is an old dictionary found at a garage sale. The thin paper is great for layers and envelopes, and making your own altered books. I love to find pages with words that fit the person or project. Be careful though because you never know what other words are on the page.

Old game pieces from old games at garage sales. Fun embellishments.

Melted wax from old candles for many different things. Fun to mix the colors of these throw away candles.

Used stamps.

What else is out there? Would love to know what you see with your creative eyes so I can start hoarding more things.

Thanks,

Pam
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-29-2006, 05:37 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow, you are clever and one smart cookie. I use nothing. I am lazy. I need to keep my eyes open and get crackin!!
Old 08-29-2006, 06:04 PM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

I use pop-tops from soda cans as metal buckles. They look so cute! The ones from the little cans are smaller and the ones from swason soup cans are different too. They look great, cost nothing and add interest to your card!
Gina K.

Be polite to those who are rude to you. Not because they are nice, but because you are.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:09 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

I too, save paper bags, tissue paper. I also save a lot of packaging. I use clear boxes as acetate and have filled a box with paper inserts to make a stamped gift boxes. If packaging has a great design, I use that as layers.

I also save buttons off old shirts and any tie-ons like hemp cord, etc, from any gifts.

A full collection of reusable materials...!

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.--Winston Churchill.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:15 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Some one on another thread had a very cleaver idea she pulls off the clips from old bras, slips and camisoles to use as ribbon slides and embellishments.....I was kicking myself after reading that for all the old bras and slips I just got rid of!!!!!!!
Matthew 6:34 “So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today."
Old 08-29-2006, 07:07 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Other items that you may already have in the house -

Orange Cleaner or Simple Green - mix a tablespoon or so with water for great stamp cleaner

Alcohol - used with watercolor crayons for a faux finish

Future Floor Wax - use with watercolor crayons

Soda tabs (already mentioned in another post) just wanted to add that you can (carefully) emboss them gold, copper, even black - look great - and as already mentioned free buckles!

Color paper clips - also a great look for a buckle type effect or just an embellishment

Cancelled postage stamps - great for vintage or collage effects

I am sure there are SO MANY more items out there............
Old 08-29-2006, 07:15 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

thought of another item........
this is great if you have reinkers -
Baby Wipes! You just fold one into a square put onto a lid or plate - place drops of inks on to the wipe and use it as an ink pad - gives a great sutble rainbow effect........
Old 08-29-2006, 07:18 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Ok so how do you use the WWC for a faux effect, and I have used future floor polish for pearl ex but how do you use it for WWC?
Matthew 6:34 “So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today."
Old 08-30-2006, 04:29 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Future Floor wax and Pearlex Background:
Future Floor wax in small bottle, cotton balls,cardstock.pearlex.small bristled paint brush:
Scribble crayon colors all over the piece of cardstock, using cotton ball rub a generous amount of floor wax all over cardstock - this will make the colors blend - using the tip of paint brush dab into the pearlex and sprinkle over cardstock - than brush all over top.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:39 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlbech
Some one on another thread had a very cleaver idea she pulls off the clips from old bras, slips and camisoles to use as ribbon slides and embellishments.....I was kicking myself after reading that for all the old bras and slips I just got rid of!!!!!!!
Oh my gosh! What a great idea! I do lots of the same as others - save ribbons, buttons, any little thing that looks like it can be embossed or died with re-inkers.

I don't throw junk mail away any more until I have scrutinized the paper. My daughter gets mailings from Marolboro cigarettes and their mailers have so many shiny and glitzy pages. I save those and will use them as colored gloss paper. I also save any vellum envelopes that I may receive from others to cut up and use on cards.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:51 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Wink

I had purchased a roll of that Rubbermaid shelf liner for place mats - you know the kind that is a thick rubbery ploymer that looks like a woven mat? It comes in something that looks like wicker and other like a woven mat.

Anyway, that stuff looks great as a background on an ATC.

Matboard scraps make great ATC backs.

And that best of all - that woven mat stuff makes a really wonderful background stamp!!!! Just lay it face up, ink it up, and lay the paper on it right side down - brayer/or press with hand. Much larger, rougher pattern than "Canvas", and looks great with beach, oriental, or tropical stamps.

Nina
Old 08-30-2006, 05:21 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Michael's/Joann's/Hobby Lobby; depends on who has the best sales!!

OK, this really isn't an everyday item, but thought you gals would appreciate this little gold mine I stumbled onto....... My local thrift store!!

You wouldn't believe the ribbon/lace I've gotten there for next to nothing!! I'm talking $0.50 for 3 yds. of GORGEOUS lace I went the other day and got 7 zippers, 8 full rolls of ribbon, buckles and buttons. I spent $5!! I've even bought old jewelry there to use as embellishments, it's a great place to stock up on original supplies!!

Shelly
Old 08-30-2006, 06:57 AM   #13  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlbech
That is so smart! I love it! Haha! What a simple way to use buckles, and what not!
Old 08-30-2006, 07:03 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

I love the idea of finding old junk jewlery for taking apart and using for embellishments! Can't wait to start digging around or looking at garage sales and thrifts. I love having a mission. Thanks for all the good ideas. I am already saving pop can tabs and looking at all my junk mail. I am also dreaming about old slips and bras to take apart. I just think that everyone here is so clever and creative. It really inspires me.

THANKS TO ALL!
Old 08-30-2006, 07:23 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Don't tell Shelly that the other Shelley is a thrift store addict and buys old jewlery and sewing stuff there. But I also have a few to add for next to nothing I buy old music books great for backgrounds. Children's board books. I love doing these as little gifts. I make little secret niches and put old jewels in them. You can also get fake flowers to take apart. I love to buy old dishes and smash them for mosaics too. I just simply could not live without my thrift stores. They know be on a first name basis.
Shelley~
Old 08-30-2006, 07:40 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Love the old music book idea. I have lots of old music around and will now look at it very differently. It is like the old dictionary I have. Got to go and see what I can claim for my stamp room,

PS Shelley, Seattle to Ohio? Do you miss us out here? Perfect summer weather although it was cool yesterday and we finally got.......RAIN! Yahoo. Been such a dry summer. We needed it.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:32 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Do I miss Seattle! Darn straight! Would go back in an instant if I could. But since moving here I have kids in college and a new grandson here. But when I get rich and famous....watch out I'll be back
Toledo is not one of my favorite places we have lived.
Shelley~
Old 09-01-2006, 04:38 AM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

good morning bump for good ideas
Old 09-01-2006, 04:45 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

I have to say you may not be in love with living in Toledo but when I lived in Ohio I remember they did have wonderful thrift shops there. So well organized and full of goodies galore! Every week was like a treasure hunt!
Old 09-01-2006, 04:56 AM   #20  
Glitter Guru

I just got some really cool colored thumb tacks at a Back to School sale. After pushing it through card stock, bend back the pin part and it holds well. Just make sure you have a layer behind it to keep the pin part hidden and to keep from stabbing yourself! Hope this makes sense!
Old 09-01-2006, 05:17 AM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtax
I just got some really cool colored thumb tacks at a Back to School sale. After pushing it through card stock, bend back the pin part and it holds well. Just make sure you have a layer behind it to keep the pin part hidden and to keep from stabbing yourself! Hope this makes sense!
Cool idea. I remember having some decorative, sort of a distressed copper look, tacks - will have to look around to see what is available.

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Old 09-01-2006, 06:10 AM   #22  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I cut up the clear plastic packaging that some things come in (especially from Target) into squares. It's really durable and thicker than window sheets. Then I use those squares with my stamp a ma jig and stazon ink. I leave the piece of plastic in my box with my set, that way any time I want to line up that image, I have it already ready and lined up with my SAMJ. This works really well like for Lovely as a Tree that I always like to line up well or Loads of Love that I use my accessories for.

Oh yea, I also stamp images on post it paper, cut them out for a mask and leave that in the bottom of the box too, so I can mask without repeating that step!

Great ideas, TFS!
Old 09-01-2006, 06:14 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by clueless9
OK, this really isn't an everyday item, but thought you gals would appreciate this little gold mine I stumbled onto....... My local thrift store!!

You wouldn't believe the ribbon/lace I've gotten there for next to nothing!! I'm talking $0.50 for 3 yds. of GORGEOUS lace I went the other day and got 7 zippers, 8 full rolls of ribbon, buckles and buttons. I spent $5!! I've even bought old jewelry there to use as embellishments, it's a great place to stock up on original supplies!!

Shelly

I'm a thrift store junkie also...been one for years. Over the years I've gotten stamps, ribbon, embroidery floss, second hand SU stuff, envelopes, buttons, etc. You never know what you will find.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:18 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Yarn! I love the funky fibres to add to a card with some beads.
Children's buttons (for clothes) that are shaped like sailboats, ducks, etc.
Heavy thread for tying buttons
Metal finished adhesive shelf liner
Cork shelf liner

Just about anything that catches my eye when I am out shopping
Old 09-06-2006, 01:33 PM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

bumpin for more ideas
Old 09-07-2006, 06:10 AM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

bumpin for ideas
Old 09-07-2006, 06:14 AM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
Wow, you are clever and one smart cookie. I use nothing. I am lazy. I need to keep my eyes open and get crackin!!
This is me, too! I feel like such a waster after reading these great tips!
One thing, for me is that buying new stuff to use for stamping is part of the reason I love stamping since shopping is my 1st love & passion (yes, I called shopping my "passion"...). But I will definitely start thinking more creatively!
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Old 09-07-2006, 08:17 AM   #28  
Crimping Master

Just the other day I used the newspaper to punch some cute paper flowers. I haven't used them yet.
The netting from a bag of fruit, or drywall tape- ink up and use as a stamp, or use as an embellishment like magic mesh tape.
pencil erasure- make a nice polka dot stamp.
I recently joined a hardware swap- lots of embellishments there- washers, hinges, gaskets. Next time your in the home improvement store, take a second look- there are tons of things that can be used!
Old 09-07-2006, 08:40 AM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

I love making envelopes out of my pottery barn catalogs. The paper is nice and thick and glossy and they often have full page pictures with little or no writing and very interesting displays (often holiday themed --perfect for Christmas, Thanksgiving or halloween) right where the front of the envelope would be. I unglued an old envelope and traced it onto card stock for a template and then I cut out most of the "front" so I could see what would be featured on the envelope to decide if I wanted to use the particular page.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:05 AM   #30  
First To Quack

I use a shot glass on my desk to hold my brads or eyelets for a project~ ya know if you're doing a swap & know you need 10 brads? They don't get lost this way!

Empty prescription bottles holds sand from the beach or tiny shells.

Gerber baby food tubs are great for extra punches~ I like to punch small scraps with the word window punch, then I can throw out the small scraps & have the tabs for hinges, etc.

Pretty jam jars from gift sets are perfect for small embellishments.

I keep a plastic file box under my cutter. The rectangle takes up less room & all of the scraps go right into it. A rectangle trash can would work but I had this left over when I put my cardstock into a file drawer in my new desk.

Cards from the Cabana
Old 09-07-2006, 10:15 AM   #31  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beachbound
I use a shot glass on my desk to hold my brads or eyelets for a project~ ya know if you're doing a swap & know you need 10 brads? They don't get lost this way!

Empty prescription bottles holds sand from the beach or tiny shells.

Gerber baby food tubs are great for extra punches~ I like to punch small scraps with the word window punch, then I can throw out the small scraps & have the tabs for hinges, etc.

Pretty jam jars from gift sets are perfect for small embellishments.

I keep a plastic file box under my cutter. The rectangle takes up less room & all of the scraps go right into it. A rectangle trash can would work but I had this left over when I put my cardstock into a file drawer in my new desk.
I love these ideas...my problem? I would do all this and keep collecting and collecting and collecting....and forget to use them! lol.
Faerey Blog
Old 09-07-2006, 10:26 AM   #32  
Kookie Creator

Love the ideas. Keep 'em comin'!

my gallery
my blog :
What Was I Inkin'?
Old 09-07-2006, 11:39 AM   #33  
First To Quack

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faereygirl
I love these ideas...my problem? I would do all this and keep collecting and collecting and collecting....and forget to use them! lol.

LOL! me too, sometimes but do you enjoy your collection? 'nuff said!

Cards from the Cabana
Old 09-07-2006, 11:42 AM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

I saved a paper egg carton (not the foam kind, but brown paper-y) to make something out of, but it would also work as storage for punches or little things. I was trying to figure out what to cut it up and use it for, cause I read that when you wet the paper a bit, you can shape it and let it dry again.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:36 PM   #35  
KLF
Matboard Maniac

If you fold up a bunch of kleenex or toilet paper, wet it, stamp on it really hard with an uninked stamp, then put it in the microwave to dry, you get a really cool embossed effect. Just cut around the design after it's dry. I've just left them white, but you could probably figure out how to color it.

Karen
Old 02-25-2007, 05:32 AM   #36  
Gallery Gazer

Default bumpin for ideas

Good Morning ladies we are snowed in UP here in the North Country, 13 inches that started out as freezing rain on Friday night so slippery roads they even cancelled church,.........but what really bummed me out.......I was supposed to go to an TAC show last night and it was cancelled (hubby didn't want me to drive in this weather anyway) but my girlfriend was the demo and had designed a cute scrapbook page I was excited to make ........oh well maybe I can get her to still let me make it......hint hint stampinscrappinqueen!
Old 02-25-2007, 07:24 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLF
If you fold up a bunch of kleenex or toilet paper, wet it, stamp on it really hard with an uninked stamp, then put it in the microwave to dry, you get a really cool embossed effect. Just cut around the design after it's dry. I've just left them white, but you could probably figure out how to color it.

Karen
This sounds so cool! And I recently saw an awesome card in the gallery that used this technique. I've been trying all morning -- so I guess I need the dummies guide for this -- how many layers of TP, how much water, how long in the micro? I've tried several variations and we might be out of TP by the time I get it right! TIA!
Old 02-25-2007, 09:47 PM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

Some pens have little silver rings in between the plastic parts. I have no clue why they're needed in the pens. Anyways, I take these out and use them for buckles for ribbon.

Here is a card that also has some plastic sequins (very light and don't look like plastic) that I found at a costume design fabric store. I got 25 of them for ninety nine cents. I just attached them with a glue dot.
Attached Thumbnails
What everyday things do you use for stamping?-antiquebluethanksflwr2.jpg  

http://sailingwithscissors.com
Old 02-26-2007, 09:49 AM   #39  
Mad Swapper

I like to use the pampered chef bamboo tongs to hold onto small items that I emboss so they do not burn my fingers.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:39 PM   #40  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

I use bubble wrap for a background stamp and paperboard boxes for chipboard.