Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #121  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The thought of listing and/or photographing all the things I have for sale is just too daunting, so I posted last week on an area Sell It! facebook site that I had a ton of stamping supplies and stamps for sale cheap if anyone was interested in coming to my house to look. (I seriously just separated them into $5 and $10 piles for stamps and sold most of the inkpads and reinkers for $4 a set. $1 to $2 for misc. odds and ends and ribbons/embellishments.) I had one woman come to my house and bought about $80 worth of stuff. Today I drove to a neighboring town 20 miles away and sold to a group of women who bought almost $150 worth. They got an EXCELLENT deal on stamping stuff, I got some post holiday cash for things that have been taking up space and that I had NO intention of listing separately and photographing for sale. I'm going to repost tonight and see if I can unload a couple more boxes. Could I have gotten more money if I listed everything out and took pictures? Maybe, but it is such a relief to see this stuff go for a little bit of effort! My time, like all yours, is extremely valuable too.

As my best friend says, "Stamping....it's cheaper than therapy" to which I add, "Not by much".

My mom was the proud recipient of my first handmade card. Cost $200.

~My Gallery~
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #122  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats, Rachel! That is so great. I agree that sometimes it isn't about getting top dollar. Your time is valuable as is the sense of accomplishment of moving things out and knowing someone else is enjoying your stuff rather than them just ending up in a landfill.

I am going to look and see if we have a Sell it near me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 07:09 AM   #123  
Rubber Obsessor

When I first saw this thread it really got me thinking about my creative goals for the new year and I think I finally settled on some goals.
1. Use up my stuff!!! I have 5 boxes of paper and 1 and half dresser drawers filled of paper! True 3 of the boxes are themed (Fall, Holiday and Disney) but still the stuff needs to get used! My goal is to have a good chunk of it used up by April when the Scrapbook Expo comes back to my area.
2. Make an inspiration binder. I thought it would be kind of fun to make a binder with all kinds of sketches and tutorials to keep with my crafty stuff.
3. Keep learning and improving my cards. I feel like most of cards are pretty straight forward right now I want to keep learning new techniques and push myself to try more unique things.
4. Start looking into DTs. I don't think I'm up for doing a company design team but I always though it would be fun to be on a DT for a challenge blog. I'm still in college for about another 2 years so it might be awhile before I have the time to join one. But it never hurts to start looking at them. Maybe I'll get lucky and be able to find one I can do now.
5. Submit to some publications. It's another thing I've always wanted to do but never have. Can't hurt to try can it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #124  
Matboard Maniac

My 2013 crafting goals are:
- make at least 3 cards and 3 layouts every week.
- create in my art journal at least 3 times a week.
- photograph my creations and post them in the gallery.
- get really good at coloring with my Copics.
- get a really early start on holiday crafting.

Last edited by Glitter Gypsy; 12-30-2012 at 04:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 06:20 PM   #125  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sami, I love your goals, but I really love the confidence and determination that shines through in your post. With that attitude, I KNOW you are going to put a definite dent in achieving those goals.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 06:25 PM   #126  
Stazon Splitcoast

Glitter Gypsy, sounds like you are going to be one busy crafter in 2013. I like your desire to set aside more time to spend on your crafting. I definitely encourage you to photograph your projects and post them. I am not sure how you plan to get really good with your Copics, but if it is something other than just through practice, I would love to hear what resources helped you most. My Copic skills are still hit and miss, so I am always looking for resources to improve my skills.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2013, 07:50 AM   #127  
Crimping Master

Hmm..
I have been reading this thread for about an hour now..thinking about my response..

The last 2 years brought a lot of *stuff* for our family...and me. We moved..2x in one year ( once was 4 1/2 hours from *home* and family, the other was just 30 mins from that place..but to a much nicer town and school district ..but still a move never-the-less). It brought my sweet 11 yo Autistic step son to the PICU for 4 weeks then another 2 weeks in the hospital ( he is awesome now !)..It brought me to 4 Dt's that I never enjoyed. .( not b/c of the companies or the DT members..but b/c of MY mindset at that time) ..brought me having my galbladder removed..having my 11 yo step son that lives with us being diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome and Bi-polar Disorder...to bringing me to a world that was just spining. ...and spining. It also put me in a dark, ugly , bitter place ( which has a totally long back story to it as well..many many things)...
I became so angry at stamping..and at me. I set some stupid *goal* for myself to be a *celebrity stamper* if you will ( yes, go one laugh...I am NOW ;)) and I started to not enjoy it . at. all. I actually think I never really enjoyed it at all..not card making..I have rediscovered my love of stamps however. I got rid of ( threw out ..~gasp~) all of the cards I had made. I know..you can faint..BUT it was something that I needed to do. To be honest, I never really thought they were that great..never sent them to anyone..so why keep them? To remind me of something that I didn't enjoy or like? So I got rid of them..it was just as freeing as tearing a drwing to bits that I had kept for years and just couldn't fix what was wrong with it..FREEING I tell ya. I "let it go". ( I do realize that isn't the approach for everyone..but to me is symbolized letting go of unwanted baggage). Freeing was telling myself I didn't need to be on a DT..I didn't need to be in Paper Crafts Magazine ( which I didn't renew my sub btw LOL)..freeing that I didn't need to be "elite" . No one needed for me to be any of that. None of that would ever change who I was inside..it would have just made me worse. I didn't need that. I needed to be happy..so that was my pursuit..happiness. ..and a life lived.

So..I took a break. A long break. Cleaned out my stamps..card stock..everything. Sold..threw out and gave away. ..Still have a lot to get rid of really. I found Mixed Media and it spoke to me. I loved painting in college but never thought I was *good* at it..so I didn't pursue it.Instead I concentrated on drawing ( great foundation for painting ). I stocked up some paints..and canvases etc..and had fun. Not much blogging as I realized I didn't enjoy it that much, it had just turned into something else I did b/c everyone that was anyone had a blog..so I needed one too ..right? NOPE..no one missed my blog and neither did I LOL.

I taught a couple of mixed media classes ..and am getting inquiries for more this year. I can't say that I am in a *great* place artistically..but my mind set is a lot better.

I had become so closed off to others..and their talent ..and to mine as well. Just in an ugly place to be honest. It took a VERY sweet soul on here to show me that. I think I did ruin what would have been a great friendship..but I am greatful to her anyway.
I opened myself up to other people, personalities, priorities and perspectives. I NEEDED to do that. I don't know wth happened to me. I used to be so OPEN to everything..but I think I was so open that everything just kinda took over and there was no ME left( if that makes sense..LOL it does in my head anyway).

So all that to say..
My creative goals for this year are simply to create. To enjoy. To live. To love. To love what others do for who they are and their story behind it. To love me for who I am and my story behind it. To not worry about "being someone" but to be one..just one..me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #128  
Stazon Splitcoast

Inkin One -- wow! sounds like you had a super challenging 2012! But they do always say that "everything happens for a purpose" and perhaps you needed all that to happen to kick start you into finding yourself. I am so happy that you were able to do that. Your craft should make you happy, not be a chore. So you did good purging the old and finding a craft that speaks to you more. Wishing you a happy 2013 as you embark on this revised journey.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #129  
Rubber Obsessor

During tough times, I just keep saying.....what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. I wish a much happier 2013 Inkin One.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #130  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkin OneView Post
Hmm..
I have been reading this thread for about an hour now..thinking about my response..

The last 2 years brought a lot of *stuff* for our family...and me. We moved..2x in one year ( once was 4 1/2 hours from *home* and family, the other was just 30 mins from that place..but to a much nicer town and school district ..but still a move never-the-less). It brought my sweet 11 yo Autistic step son to the PICU for 4 weeks then another 2 weeks in the hospital ( he is awesome now !)..It brought me to 4 Dt's that I never enjoyed. .( not b/c of the companies or the DT members..but b/c of MY mindset at that time) ..brought me having my galbladder removed..having my 11 yo step son that lives with us being diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome and Bi-polar Disorder...to bringing me to a world that was just spining. ...and spining. It also put me in a dark, ugly , bitter place ( which has a totally long back story to it as well..many many things)...
I became so angry at stamping..and at me. I set some stupid *goal* for myself to be a *celebrity stamper* if you will ( yes, go one laugh...I am NOW ;)) and I started to not enjoy it . at. all. I actually think I never really enjoyed it at all..not card making..I have rediscovered my love of stamps however. I got rid of ( threw out ..~gasp~) all of the cards I had made. I know..you can faint..BUT it was something that I needed to do. To be honest, I never really thought they were that great..never sent them to anyone..so why keep them? To remind me of something that I didn't enjoy or like? So I got rid of them..it was just as freeing as tearing a drwing to bits that I had kept for years and just couldn't fix what was wrong with it..FREEING I tell ya. I "let it go". ( I do realize that isn't the approach for everyone..but to me is symbolized letting go of unwanted baggage). Freeing was telling myself I didn't need to be on a DT..I didn't need to be in Paper Crafts Magazine ( which I didn't renew my sub btw LOL)..freeing that I didn't need to be "elite" . No one needed for me to be any of that. None of that would ever change who I was inside..it would have just made me worse. I didn't need that. I needed to be happy..so that was my pursuit..happiness. ..and a life lived.

So..I took a break. A long break. Cleaned out my stamps..card stock..everything. Sold..threw out and gave away. ..Still have a lot to get rid of really. I found Mixed Media and it spoke to me. I loved painting in college but never thought I was *good* at it..so I didn't pursue it.Instead I concentrated on drawing ( great foundation for painting ). I stocked up some paints..and canvases etc..and had fun. Not much blogging as I realized I didn't enjoy it that much, it had just turned into something else I did b/c everyone that was anyone had a blog..so I needed one too ..right? NOPE..no one missed my blog and neither did I LOL.

I taught a couple of mixed media classes ..and am getting inquiries for more this year. I can't say that I am in a *great* place artistically..but my mind set is a lot better.

I had become so closed off to others..and their talent ..and to mine as well. Just in an ugly place to be honest. It took a VERY sweet soul on here to show me that. I think I did ruin what would have been a great friendship..but I am greatful to her anyway.
I opened myself up to other people, personalities, priorities and perspectives. I NEEDED to do that. I don't know wth happened to me. I used to be so OPEN to everything..but I think I was so open that everything just kinda took over and there was no ME left( if that makes sense..LOL it does in my head anyway).

So all that to say..
My creative goals for this year are simply to create. To enjoy. To live. To love. To love what others do for who they are and their story behind it. To love me for who I am and my story behind it. To not worry about "being someone" but to be one..just one..me.
Sounds like you are in an amazing place now to do some really fulfilling work! Can't wait to see what else you come up with. Stay strong and true to yourself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2013, 04:37 AM   #131  
Crimping Master

Aww thanks ladies! I keep telling myself these were all things I NEEDED to go through to learn a lesson..and I truly DID learn from it. I feel I am in a decent place right now , still have some things to work out though BUT ..ready to get to making stuff again..and I have wanted to do that in a long time.

I hope everyone has a wonderful, creative year!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #132  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 360 Likes on 186 Posts

I'd like to master copics, especially for hair. I would like to try sewing on my cards this year, inspired by what I see here. Also, I'd like to do a simple demo stamp night once a month for my sidelines. We would all love more time to stamp together. All the best to everyone for a great, inky 2013.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #133  
Stazon Splitcoast

Kathy, I am sure there are lots of Copic coloring tutorials online, but here is a link for one that I found.

The year is still young -- set a date for sometime THIS MONTH for that first demo night with your sidelines before your calendar gets filled with other people's stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2013, 07:53 AM   #134  
Stazon Splitcoast

OMG -- I have been encouraging each of you (and myself!) to do something in January toward your goals as that will motivate you to keep moving forward. Yesterday I found out that tomorrow really can be too late to start.

When I made the goal to do more thank you cards and give them to people I encounter on a regular basis, but who I don't necessarily have a relationship with, one of the people I was thinking of was Steven, one of the guys who works the front desk at my gym. He ALWAYS greets members with a smile and a hello that feels like they are reserved just for you. If he isn't busy, he will check you in as soon as he sees you come in from the parking lot. If he's working when you are done with your workout, he'll wish you a good day or evening. Just a sweet guy. After awhile I noticed that, when I came in the outer doors, if I saw he was at the desk, no matter what my day had been like, I started to smile because, for this moment in time, life was good. So he was first on my list for people I wanted to make/give thank you notes.

Well, my stamping MOJO has been a bit slow on the uptake since the holidays, so I didn't stamp last weekend. Steven wasn't working Monday night when I was at the gym. When I went last night, I learned that, at age 31, he had died of a fatal heart attack. I'm not alone in being totally stunned. My trainer thinks he may have actually passed on Monday, so even if I had made a card, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to give it to him. Still, I'm so aware right now how much of a difference a day makes. Had I stamped last Thursday night, I could have given it to him on Friday morning when I saw him.

So now I will make a sympathy card, not a thank you. But I will include a note to his family, telling THEM what I would have told him about the difference he made in my life.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2013, 08:17 AM   #135  
Insane Embellisher

I want to make time to Pay it Forward in 2013. If I send a RAK I want to match that with a special Thank you or card to a special person close to me. I also need to build up my card stash so that I have a better variety to choose from. I started my 2013 off with deep cleaning my Craft Room and I'm feeling so inspired to get CraZy Creative. I'm working on an Art Journal which is WAY out of the Box for me, but I want to stick with it, I need to stay true to myself and do things that make my heart happy, I find I'm way better to others when I do that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #136  
Stazon Splitcoast

Gizelabella, I hear that so many times -- that while it may seem selfish to focus on yourself first, it is really the thing that frees you to give to others. So you really seem to have great goals and a good focus for meeting this new year. Can't wait to see postings of your Art Journal!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #137  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 667 Likes on 346 Posts

Great Thread! :-)

Some goals I have had the past few years, that have been working for me, and I want to continue:
(1) Work a month ahead on cards for the next month (I create better when I am not feeling pushed).
(2) SEND at least one card out WEEKLY. I love to make cards, and I love to encourage people with them, but I don't like to address them. This goal really helped me last year.
(3) Work on Christmas Cards throughout the year. (I have done the CCC challenge in the past...but I don't need to make that many cards, so last year, I just worked on Christmas Cards at various times during the year and that worked for me).
(4) After each card project, do one Craft Organizational Project. This way I get both crafting and organizing accomplished.

Additional NEW goals for 2013:
(5) Use the stamp sets that have not yet seen ink, and the dies that I have not yet used (bought a bunch on Clearance Rack).
(2 Go through my unused craft stuff (I have too much) and try to sell in lots on eBay this Summer (I have Summers off). I agree with the person who said eBay is not as great for small-time sellers as it used to be. Also on BST. What I don't get rid of by end of Summer...DONATE!

LM :-)

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #138  
Stazon Splitcoast

LM, Great goals! You really seem to have your act together! Can't imagine myself with the discipline to do it, but I really like the idea of interspersing the organizational projects and the cardmaking. I will be thrilled if I get my stamps from one project cleaned and put away before the next one gets started.

Do you "need" to hand address your envelopes, or can you make up address labels on the computer so that addressing them is less of a hassle?

I just put all the stamps I tried to sell last year but couldn't into a bag destined for donation -- likely to Goodwill. One of my non-creative goals is to reduce my amount of stuff and one of my action items for that goal is to make a trip to Goodwill at least once a month -- preferably twice a week.

Good luck as you continue those things that work for you and as you incorporate the "next steps" you have set for yourself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2013, 02:19 AM   #139  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by swldebbieView Post
When I went last night, I learned that, at age 31, he had died of a fatal heart attack. I'm not alone in being totally stunned. My trainer thinks he may have actually passed on Monday, so even if I had made a card, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to give it to him. Still, I'm so aware right now how much of a difference a day makes. Had I stamped last Thursday night, I could have given it to him on Friday morning when I saw him.
Debbie- That breaks my heart. I am so sorry. He was so young. That is just a horrible tragedy.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2013, 02:30 AM   #140  
Die Cut Diva

A lot of my resolutions that I made still stand. I have a very big mojo loss right now. I was slowly edging away from my dangerous career to become a full time artist. A few weeks ago I saw how ugly the art community can be, even though I know there are many good people in it. Personality wise that is not for me. I have been feeling a bit used in the art industry. I know part of that is my fault. I have a big helping people problem.

My creativity is for my happiness. I like my dangerous crazy job. I have decided to go back to school and finish my Ph.D in meteorology. I am going back to full time storm chasing. I am very excited about it. I was so excited about it I got all my Valentine Day crafting done. It turned out beautifully. A bit of late New Year's Resolution but I am excited.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2013, 06:40 AM   #141  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

OMG -- I have been encouraging each of you (and myself!) to do something in January toward your goals as that will motivate you to keep moving forward. Yesterday I found out that tomorrow really can be too late to start.

When I made the goal to do more thank you cards and give them to people I encounter on a regular basis, but who I don't necessarily have a relationship with, one of the people I was thinking of was Steven, one of the guys who works the front desk at my gym. He ALWAYS greets members with a smile and a hello that feels like they are reserved just for you. If he isn't busy, he will check you in as soon as he sees you come in from the parking lot. If he's working when you are done with your workout, he'll wish you a good day or evening. Just a sweet guy. After awhile I noticed that, when I came in the outer doors, if I saw he was at the desk, no matter what my day had been like, I started to smile because, for this moment in time, life was good. So he was first on my list for people I wanted to make/give thank you notes.

Well, my stamping MOJO has been a bit slow on the uptake since the holidays, so I didn't stamp last weekend. Steven wasn't working Monday night when I was at the gym. When I went last night, I learned that, at age 31, he had died of a fatal heart attack. I'm not alone in being totally stunned. My trainer thinks he may have actually passed on Monday, so even if I had made a card, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to give it to him. Still, I'm so aware right now how much of a difference a day makes. Had I stamped last Thursday night, I could have given it to him on Friday morning when I saw him.

So now I will make a sympathy card, not a thank you. But I will include a note to his family, telling THEM what I would have told him about the difference he made in my life.
Oh Debbie, that is so sad, but I am sure you would bring great joy to his family by telling them how much he meant to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2013, 06:53 AM   #142  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
A lot of my resolutions that I made still stand. I have a very big mojo loss right now. I was slowly edging away from my dangerous career to become a full time artist. A few weeks ago I saw how ugly the art community can be, even though I know there are many good people in it. Personality wise that is not for me. I have been feeling a bit used in the art industry. I know part of that is my fault. I have a big helping people problem.

My creativity is for my happiness. I like my dangerous crazy job. I have decided to go back to school and finish my Ph.D in meteorology. I am going back to full time storm chasing. I am very excited about it. I was so excited about it I got all my Valentine Day crafting done. It turned out beautifully. A bit of late New Year's Resolution but I am excited.
Well done. And I am sorry the art community has been less than supportive. Honestly, I don't get it (and I don't get it why people like people that are like that - hope that made sense). Needless to say I have encountered that in many areas, so don't just think it is the art community. I just don't understand people that have to be negative about someone else to justify themselves. Continue to do your art for your satisfaction, not doing it full time will probably be the best mojo. I have quite a few friends in traditional arts - the funny thing is they are very water off a ducks back, they do their art as self expression and exploration of subject rather than competition. And I can tell you that they would be very helpful (that is probably why we are friends!).

FWIW and I know I have an untrained eye. But I am still flummoxed by a super critical art instructor at University. I was taking the class as an elective, however there was one student in the class that was beyond fantastic (my untrained eye). Could do drawn portraits in one class sitting and they were nearly photographic. The instructor never seemed to give constructive criticism but always was critical of his work. I just hope that instructor didn't knock him down too much (I know sometimes it is to help someone grow). It would be a loss if he is no longer drawing or doing artwork because of harsh comments.

Follow your joy and I bet your art inspiration comes back with a full vengeance!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #143  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 659 Likes on 415 Posts

Debbie, I am so sorry.

the update for me is, I am about 95% done re-organizing upstairs now and there are some mug shots in the gallery if your curious. so, I still have a few deal with it piles. things to get rid of or donate and its good. Im getting things done.

So I think I will be working on some needed birthday cards this weekend and such.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #144  
Stazon Splitcoast

lylacfey, glad you were able to make a course correction change before you lost yourself to the nastiness of others. storm chasing sounds a bit scary, but exhilarating. sounds like the meteorology study will be fulfilling careerwise and you will be able to continue your artwork as a personal joy and fullfilment activity. how great is that?

Kristin, in my first job out of hs, my desk was literally butted up to my boss's desk. He knew how hard I worked and that I did a good job. But no matter what I did, he could never just say "good job!" Rather, he always had to find fault. And I mean ALWAYS. When we had my 6-month review, the subject came up and his feeling was that, as my supervisor, it was his job to find something wrong with everything I did because if he could not, then I should be his peer, not his subordinate. I was floored! I asked him if he ever even heard of this concept called "positive reinforcement" because IMO, if you are always critical, after a time, it is hard to find a reason to even try because you know it will never be good enough. He couldn't even answer me. Thankfully, we parted ways shortly after that discussion. The good news is that I was strong enough that he didn't kill my spirit and, when I became a manager many years later, I never forgot him and his attitude and used that knowledge to ensure I didn't ever treat my direct reports in a similar fashion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #145  
Stazon Splitcoast

Stacy, what a great use for above the garage room! Congrats on everything you have accomplished so far. Glad you posted pictures. Hope you get to work on your birthday cards. I have to do the sympathy card first, but hope to either make valentine or birthday cards after that. Need to look at the various CAS challenges for the week and see if any grab my interest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #146  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks Debbie for your positive feedback. I definitely don't have my act together, but establishing goals really does help, and I find that once the steps necessary to reach a goal become a habit, it is easier to keep reaching those goals.

I do make computer address labels for when I send out Christmas, Thanksgiving, Valentine, and Easter Cards. But not for the ones I send out weekly on a one-to-one basis.

That is a great idea to plan a trip to Goodwill once-a-month. A few years when I had to go through my closets and get rid of a lot of shoes and clothes, I had a Goodwill Truck that I passed one day a week on my way to a weekly meeting. I made it my goal to have something to take to that truck every week until I finished that horrendous decluttering project! That goal really helped.

LM :-)

Quote:

LM, Great goals! You really seem to have your act together! Can't imagine myself with the discipline to do it, but I really like the idea of interspersing the organizational projects and the cardmaking. I will be thrilled if I get my stamps from one project cleaned and put away before the next one gets started.

Do you "need" to hand address your envelopes, or can you make up address labels on the computer so that addressing them is less of a hassle?

I just put all the stamps I tried to sell last year but couldn't into a bag destined for donation -- likely to Goodwill. One of my non-creative goals is to reduce my amount of stuff and one of my action items for that goal is to make a trip to Goodwill at least once a month -- preferably twice a week.

Good luck as you continue those things that work for you and as you incorporate the "next steps" you have set for yourself.

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #147  
Stazon Splitcoast

WOW! Thanks for posting your pictures in your Gallery of your Stamping Space. Looks terrific. :-) LM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
Debbie, I am so sorry.

the update for me is, I am about 95% done re-organizing upstairs now and there are some mug shots in the gallery if your curious. so, I still have a few deal with it piles. things to get rid of or donate and its good. Im getting things done.

So I think I will be working on some needed birthday cards this weekend and such.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2013, 04:03 AM   #148  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
I just don't understand people that have to be negative about someone else to justify themselves.
Isis- I am keeping those words dear to my heart. Thank you for writing them. Honestly, that is how it feels to me right now. I am not good with people who need their voices heard or need to justify themselves. It makes me back away from them.

Thank you Isis & Debbie for the kind words.

Last year was one of those years that tries your strength and drains you emotionally. I am suffering a bit of depression over it. I know a lot of us are going through hard things right now. Sending hugs to all who are.

I miss my life in weather. I took time off from chasing when I became ill a couple of years back. I am strong and healthy again. I wore down my body storm chasing. I told my DH the other day when I was tracking a storm how much I missed chasing. I really need to finish up my Ph.D. I was just starting it but took time off to raise my monster. My monster flew away. My DH is my biggest supporter. My friends actually screamed in happiness when I said I was going back to chasing. I know two of my friends are really happy because they are my chasing team, ROFL! I decided it's time to go back with a flourish. I am really happy about it.

I paid for school with my artwork to go into meteorology and storm chasing. I will be paying for school again with my art. I do take the starving artist to new extremes, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2013, 05:52 AM   #149  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

This story touches my heart. There are so many "everyday" people that we should thank. One day around last Christmas, I took the checker at my local grocery store an extra M&M tube that I had made for treats at school. You would have thought that I had given her $100 the way she thanked me. When this Christmas came around, she thanked me again for doing that last year. I need to find another "everyday" person to do something nice for. I will make that my mission this week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #150  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sonya, I'm glad it spoke to you. Unless you are living as a hermit in the middle of Appalachia, I have no doubt you will find that person. They are all around us. We just have to look for them. Because, if we don't make a concerted effort to find them, they will get lost behind the "noise" of daily life. I can't fix Congress. I can't fix world hunger. I can't fix terrorism. But I can choose to be present and do something good and unexpected for one other person. And, who knows, maybe that is just what they need to "pay it forward." Imagine -- an epidemic of kindness sweeping across the country and the world. How nice would THAT be!

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #151  
Stazon Splitcoast

Can you believe that January is almost history? I think I blinked and almost missed it.

Have been a little slow in getting back into a normal rhythm after the holidays, but it feels like it's finally starting to come together.

Just reviewed my list of 2013 crafting goals to see how I'm doing. Overall, not too bad. I would have liked to have made some headway on each goal this month, but that didn't really happen. Still, I did make some progress.

1. I did meet my goal of participating in 2 CAS challenges during the month. I made this cuppie birthday card for a CAS-ual Friday "Long and Short" challenge and made this "mature cupid" card for an ATCAS "Hearts" challenge.

2. I didn't really make any thank you's this month, but, since I did write the thank you note and enclosed it, I am counting the sympathy card I made when my intended January recipient passed away unexpectedly. This week I got a real card (not what you get at the funeral home, but what you go out to the store and select) from Steven's parents with a very nice note of appreciation in it. I was touched that they would do this at such a difficult time for somebody they have never met.

3. Since my stamping MOJO was on the fritz for a good bit of the month, I made no progress in the goal to fill up the stash with everyday cards.

4. My local library helped me out with my goal to purge what I don't use (and use what I keep). They are having a "New to You" craft "sale" on Feb. 2. You donate the craft things you no longer use and can "shop" for craft items that are "new to you." It is really a swap as you pay for nothing. Admission is a non-perishable item for the local food bank. So I took a big bag of stamps and donated, along with some 6x6 pads that had me asking myself "What WAS I thinking when I bought this?" I also signed up for a 6x6 paper swap so my donation is going in the mail this week and I will hopefully get back some that I like and will use. My goal is that anything that hasn't been used or targeted for a project by 1 month after I receive my return swap, will be added to the donate pile.

So that is my progress so far. How are you doing with your 2013 craft goals? Did you do anything toward them? If not, are you still mentally on track to stick with them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #152  
Kookie Creator

What a pleasure to read what everyone's goals are! Very inspiring, and I wish you all the best!

For me?
1. U S E those darn scraps!!!! (so far, so good)

2. Host 3-4 card making sessions with friends. I never was a demonstrator, but several of my friends were but have lapsed. The group of ladies who used to go to the workshops elected me to fill the void. Now I can see what we want/need to make (Happy Birthday, Sympathy, and Masculine cards are at the top of the list), and not be restrained by a specific company. And it's fun to get my girlfriends together. And I use my excess stuff. Talk about win-win.

3. Use the designer paper that I have been collecting over the years. I am embarrassed to look at the serious mass I seem to have collected.

4. Use the tools and embellishments I have. This hoard is thankfully less massive than the paper.

5. Maintain the joy I find in the creative process.

Thanks for sharing!

My avatar is my beloved corgi, Cora
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #153  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I've been happy with the goals I've met already. My desk was totally cleared and everything put away before I started the next project. All my Valentine's day cards are made and the stamps and paper returned to their proper places. While the heart stamps were out, I made 8 anniversary cards too so I'm ahead of the game. Now I'm making samples of all my embossing folders and putting them into a photo album so I don't buy another similar EF! On to Feb. and more organization!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2013, 12:14 AM   #154  
Die Cut Diva

I am happy with my goals too. I got a lot of sketching done and knocked out a few small creations this month.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #155  
Stazon Splitcoast

Shyla, definitely a win-win! Getting together with your girlfriends on a regular basis to make cards should definitely help you reach those other goals. Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #156  
Stazon Splitcoast

Woo hoo, Diane! Sounds like you are really rocking your goals. TFS as your progress inspires us all to get started/keep cracking toward our own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2013, 08:56 AM   #157  
Stazon Splitcoast

DeeAnn, glad to hear it. I don't know about you, but for me the "getting started" is always the hardest hurdle, so you are well on your way. Great job!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2013, 01:05 AM   #158  
Matboard Maniac

I posted one goal I had on here, but swldebbie's story reminded me of 2 more that I really hope to do this year.

1. I hope to completely restore my love of stamping. I was crazy in love with stamping until a year ago from today. My father died Jan 26 of last year. When that happened, all I was making was thank you cards for the acts of sympathetic gestures everyone had made to my family and me. I started doing that a couple of days past his death. After that, it made me sick to even think of stamping. I was completely, hopelessly in love with stamping until that day. From then on, stamping was associated with the pain of losing my father. I couldn't even walk by my stamp area without feeling physically and emotionally sick. I plan to totally recommit to my love and joy that stamping once offered.

2. I LOVE stamping, but I'm not creative. I case everything. I only send cards to family, friends, etc for thank yous, birthdays, sympathy, get well, etc... My serious, serious goal is to learn to create on my own. I want to take advantage of the challenge layouts (can't think of the actual term for that) and completely create my own. This will be very difficult, because I am seriously not creative even though I absolutely love to 'recreate'.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2013, 06:44 AM   #159  
Kookie Creator

Deborah,
I can totally relate... I had some traumatic stuff happen in our family a few years ago, which interestingly coincided with me completely stopping scrapbooking. (Makes sense, doesn't it?) ;)
My live and the lives of my family have been in flux until fairly recently, but I have been cardmaking as a way to relax and de stress. I also discovered a local store that teaches a friday card class for $5, and that is where I have developed an absolute adoration of cardmaking. The plus is, my abilities have also expanded. I am not a particularly creative person - my cards are VERY straightforward and simple. (Look at my gallery for the evidence of that) But in taking the class, I am learning new techniques and methods. It's also a kick to see how even though everyone on the class is making the same card, we all do it just a little bit differently.
As you begin to develop your abilities, allow yourself to mess up! I learn so much better that way! I think the challenge layouts are a terrific goal, and I hope they give you your confidence and joy in cardmaking back. Good Luck!

My avatar is my beloved corgi, Cora
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2013, 08:27 AM   #160  
Stazon Splitcoast

Deborah, sorry to hear about the loss of your father. I don't know that you ever really "get over" the loss, but eventually you will find your center again -- even with the stamping. It just takes a lot of time. I'm sure this being around the 1st anniversary makes it more difficult. Maybe it would help you to break the "unhappy" link between stamping and your dad's passing by thinking about the joy he got in receiving cards you made for him. That way, the mental link becomes more about happy memories, not sad ones.

As for the not-CASE-ing goal, that made me smile. Sometimes I successfully CASE, but it always seems to me that when I try to CASE, I just have the darndest time getting it right. Apparently I am a tad "copy deficient." LOL! I think that the many sketch challenges out there will give you a great tool to transition from CASE everything to "create my own" stamping. Good luck with this goal. I look forward to seeing how your style has developed by the end of the year. You can do this!!
Reply With Quote Likes