Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-13-2007, 05:22 AM   #41  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by lexismoo
I was showing a coworker my gallery at work the other day and another coworker walked up to see what we were looking at. She started asking questions about the cards and stamping in general. I explained that it's what I like to do with my "spare" time. It's something that relaxes me and brings me joy when I get comments on my cards. She had the nerve to tell me to my face that my hobby is "stupid" and "what a waste of money". I couldn't believe she said that to me in front of other people. I just stood there dumbfounded.
In the words of Stephanie Tanner from "Full House" : How Rude!

Honestly, how can someone say that? Especially to your face, and in front of other people.. That's just completely uncalled for, and downright mean.

I think she's just jealous.. Not everyone has a fabulous hobby like stamping! And I agree, it's therapy.
my etsy shop ;; my blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-13-2007, 05:24 AM   #42  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinboilermaker
I think now might be the perfect time to show her how creative stamping can be, and show her denier's perfect card! When you care enough to send the very best, baby!
Oh yeah! You know you can send them as an email card, right? Sounds like the perfect one to shoot off to her work email (from an "annonymous source" of course!)!!
Old 02-13-2007, 05:29 AM   #43  
Mad Swapper

Whenever I give friends or people at work cards or stamped gifts, there's usually one person that always comments "You just have way too much time on your hands"....

Here's my response...

"No, I just use the little time I DO have quite efficiently, thank you."

Old 02-13-2007, 05:35 AM   #44  
A LOST 4400

You need to make some gorgeous cards for your OTHER coworkers. I seriously would not waste my time giving a hand made card to someone who dogged my art.

You gallery has such great stuff!
Jackie G. (aka Jacquita) SCSmember #656

Write your sorrows in sand and your blessings in stone.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:43 AM   #45  
Insane Embellisher

I think the fact that you got almost 50 replies, and over 500 hits on your little post shows that your hobby is legit. I wonder what she would say if you told this co-worker that you posted what she said to you and about your hobby on your stamping chat room, and got this kind of support. I think she'd be jealous.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:48 AM   #46  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by karcher70
Whenever I give friends or people at work cards or stamped gifts, there's usually one person that always comments "You just have way too much time on your hands"....

Here's my response...

"No, I just use the little time I DO have quite efficiently, thank you."

Oh that is PERFECT! I plan on CASING this one!
Old 02-13-2007, 05:50 AM   #47  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a friend JUST like this! She totally does NOT understand any other hobby besides her own. She collects antique dolls, and enjoys re-enacting. I don't enjoy either of those things, and she doesn't understand.
My hubby collects baseball cards and Wheaties boxes... those things are trash to her, worthless useless trash. She just ignores my hobby of scrappin and stamping.. another waste of space, time, and money.
I guess we just have to realize there are those kinds of people in the world.
BUT... then there are even MORE great people here at SCS to share and care with!
Old 02-13-2007, 06:10 AM   #48  
Gallery Gazer

Tell her you friend from NY said she should come say that to me.
I had another post all set, but it would have gotten pulled. What a rude ******!
Old 02-13-2007, 06:29 AM   #49  
Inking Addict

Missy, I have to agree with so many of the comments above! First off your gallery is gorgeous! I think that this co-worker might have felt "left out" as you and your other co-worker were enjoying some time together. She probably heard your other co worker oooh or ahhh once or twice and felt a need to "nip it in the bud"... (Jealousy at work).
Some people are not creative at all and cannot understand the satisfaction or joy that a person gets by creating a one of a kind original to share with others. They might not even "get" sharing...PERIOD. As for her saying it was a waste of money, who is she to say unless she knows how much you have spent, or how much the supplies cost...and even then, there are far more expensive hobbies. My hubby restores old cars for a hobby, I have a girlfriend who's husband golfs, and likes to travel to various golf courses around the country.... and then there are some that go hunting/fishing/camping...and pay a zillion dollars for their equipment. To each his own... its wonderful to have a hobby with a creative outlet... its good for your mental well being.
I agree with the SCS'er that suggested you make this person a card...because they NEED A HUG!! Perhaps if they could hold one of your pretty cards in their hands, and see how it feels to be the recipient of such a nice gesture...then they would "Get it".... ????
Oh...and one quick note on stamping/scrapbooking/crafting being stupid... isnt Martha Stewart throwing her hat into the papercrafting industry? Love her or hate her, she is one smart lady!!
Old 02-13-2007, 06:30 AM   #50  
Insane Embellisher

Make her a card using So Very and Big Blossom that says So Very Sorry!!
Then say something like So Very Sorry you feel so negatively about my passion.. Come Stamp With me sometime and see what you are missing..
Make her feel guilty for her negativity.. It just might work..
Good Luck and Don't let shallow people get you down..
Old 02-13-2007, 06:39 AM   #51  
Insane Embellisher

The strange looks are because they don't understand what you do with stamping. I would ignore that rude lady. there is no point in you being as foolish as she!

My Gallery
Old 02-13-2007, 07:04 AM   #52  
Matboard Maniac

All of you are much too nice. I would have said "Are you having a bad day, or are you always so obnoxiously rude?!?!"
Old 02-13-2007, 07:35 AM   #53  
Pearl-ExPert

Your gallery is very impressive, and this coworker was completely rude.

I think when people say things like this, the best thing to do is acknowledge immediately how mean they are. Say something calmly and seriously, like, "That is a very mean and hurtful thing for you to say. There is no reason to insult me or my hobby." Look them in the eye as you say this, and see what they do. The only socially acceptable response for her is to apologize. If she does, accept it graciously. If she doesn't, everyone who witnesses the exchange will know what a you-know-what she is, and they will respect you for standing up for yourself so calmly.

Of course, this is a really great idea, but how many people could face something like this calmly!!!! Yikes, I'd be stunned into speechlessness by something so mean and out-of-the-blue! Even my DH was outraged on your behalf!
Old 02-13-2007, 08:05 AM   #54  
Forum Fanatic

Wink

This is an excellent suggestion. Surprise, delight and treat the other coworkers with a lovely card from time to time. Do not make one for her. Ha! You can always say, I didn't get the impression from you, that you cared for my handcrafted cards!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackie G
You need to make some gorgeous cards for your OTHER coworkers. I seriously would not waste my time giving a hand made card to someone who dogged my art.

You gallery has such great stuff!
Old 02-13-2007, 08:12 AM   #55  
Rubber Obsessor

Missy, I congratulate you for not lowering yourself to her level by making a rude comment back. That is hard in the heat of the moment!
Your work is beautiful and brings joy to you as well as others. Can't get much better than that!
(borrowed from the quirkey card sayings thread).

Old 02-13-2007, 08:16 AM   #56  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anemone
Ignore them and walk away. Anyone who can be that rude in public isn't worth stressing over.
Yep I agree!!! She isn't worth getting stressed out over!!!
Old 02-13-2007, 08:19 AM   #57  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh my if I didn't know better I would say you worked with me because we have a girl/woman who thinks the only way is her way, so if she doesn't like it - it's bad. She has many times started sentences like "I don't mean to be mean, BUT..."

I am sorry you work with someone who can be so rude and hurtful. Like others just ignore the person's comment and remember you have to work with her - not be best friends... I will check out your gallery next.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:20 AM   #58  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh my goodness! *kicks rude person for you*

I have to wonder what her hobby is....avid channel surfing?

I'm pretty sure I shut my blog down til further notice! Perhaps forever!!
Old 02-13-2007, 08:41 AM   #59  
Hardware Hotshot

That just stinks. I always wish I was ready with the PERFECT comeback for those situations... it's so easy to come up with one AFTER the fact. But if she ever says anything again... she needs to know that this is something you care about! It's just not right for people to belittle the interests of another person. Have a comment ready for the NEXT time she poo-poos on your ART.

"Just so you know, this is something I feel very passionate about. I am sorry you think it's a waste of time, but in the future I wish you'd keep those negative comments to yourself." (*snap*)

I used to work with a gal like this; she used to suck the fun out of everything... She started to treat me with more respect when I began to let her know how her negativity effected me. (((hugs)))

Old 02-13-2007, 08:45 AM   #60  
Rubber Obsessor

Anyone who would THINK something like this, let alone say it out loud and to your face is very shallow in my opinion. I don't think there is a single person in the world who wouldn't benefit from having some sort of creative outlet. It sounds like she needs to find one! I wouldn't let her comments bother you.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:08 AM   #61  
Matboard Maniac

Oh my!! It's hard to believe anyone can be THAT rude. The fact that it was your passion or hobby that she put down is irrelevant. Rude is rude, whether she was insulting your hobby, your hair, your outfit, or your children!! I mean, really, would anyone walk up to someone and say your new haircut looks stupid and was a waste of money!!

If she is someone you normally enjoy being around and you want to keep a good relationship with, I'd go with stampingwithsue's idea. Send her a card inviting her to stamp with you to see what she is missing. Be specific and name the date and time. (Maybe a workshop you are going to soon.)

However, if she has a history of being rude than forget it! Don't waste your time doing anything to try to get her to change her mind.

I am in utter shock that anyone can be that rude. (I almost said that STUPID! )
Old 02-13-2007, 10:18 AM   #62  
Inking Addict

I have received similar comments, especially the "waste of time" thing. But I figure that the world is a much more interesting place because of different interests. Some people like to cook, others are talented musically, skiing, golfing, 4-wheeling, etc. These also require a great deal of time, practice, and money.

Surely she must spend her spare time doing something also (hopefully practicing social skills). But as was mentioned earlier, you have many friends here on SCS who share your hobbies and interests. So it must not be that "stupid" of a hobby.

As for the "waste of money" comment, I figure if I do my own housework and yard work rather than hiring out, I should receive "pay" to purchase a set of stamps once in a while. People have different priorities, that's all. It's just too bad that some people have to make such rude comments.

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
Old 02-13-2007, 10:29 AM   #63  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by its_kristy
All of you are much too nice. I would have said "Are you having a bad day, or are you always so obnoxiously rude?!?!"
I woulda had 2 words for her....and they aren't "happy birthday"
Old 02-13-2007, 11:13 AM   #64  
Stampin' Fool

Your gallery is great and I do love the "U SUCK" card,...to be politically incorrect it should come with a lolly pop. Then laugh all day.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:17 AM   #65  
Insane Embellisher

I've had lots of people say the same thing to me. I think that they just dont understand. When I first mentioned it to my hubby he thought "why dont you just go buy a card? It's easier". But then he soon found out that it is something that I take pleasure in and that it actually makes me feel good to see the response on another's face when they get something home made.

I say ignore them. Like someone else mentioned some people are not happy unless they rain on someone's else's parade...

Keep up the good work.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:44 AM   #66  
Crimping Master

To be honest with you I would have told her how rude it was of her to say that and asked her what she does with her time..Unless she spends every second helping the needy her hobbies are no better than ours YKWIM? I have dealt with people like that in the past (not necessarily about stamping) and usually I can ignore them but when it is so blunt and rude I tell them. I looked at your gallery and your stuff is great! Rude people just suck!
Old 02-13-2007, 11:54 AM   #67  
Stampin' Fool

Default rude comments

I would like to think that I would be quick witted enough to say " Wow! I don't think I could ever say something that rude to someone I worked with!" What amazes me is that those that do these things have families and friends and husbands too. How do they get along with them? A long time ago, I used to go to a fabric store in the town where I lived. There was a saleswoman there that was jaw-droppingly rude. I finally had enough of her one day after a particularly stinging comment and I told her that I wouldn't be back because of it. I'd like to think that she changed her evil ways, but more than likely, she just didn't get it.

Jutta
Old 02-13-2007, 12:03 PM   #68  
Glitter Guru

I have to confess. I was kind of like this,too, but not openly. A couple coworkers would be taking about different stuff about stamping. I never once told them they were crazy for "wasting" their money. My husband is a pencil artist so why should I be creative, right? That was my attitude about a year or two before I was introduced to Stampin' Up. When we moved back to Montana, my sil wanted to have a workshop because she hasn't done any stamping in a long time. So I went...with the thought that I would go but probably wouldn't buy anything. I still have my creative husband. That was almost 3 years ago and I am so hooked. Now dh and I are kind of a team. I make the card, he does the envelopes....very fancy envelopes. I'll have to upload one he's done so you know what I mean. I digress. Maybe try inviting this coworker to a workshop sometime. You never know, she could become more passionate about stamping than you.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:03 PM   #69  
Stazon Splitcoast

How about "Well thanks so much for letting me know your feelings. Now I won't ever waste one of cards on you" Said with a smile of course!

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Old 02-13-2007, 12:06 PM   #70  
Glitter Guru

Default I've had people say to me...

"oh you do that stamping crap." I think this was at a craft show, but I don't quite remember. Hey, I enjoy it, you're entitled to your opinion. I may not like things that you like to do!
Old 02-13-2007, 12:21 PM   #71  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh man, I just got through reading this whole thread. Lots of support for you, that's for sure. In fact nothing but support. Hooray for you and your lovely creative work in the gallery.

Reading things like this reminds me of one more reason why I am enjoying my retirement. I worked for years, and yes, those rude ones are everywhere!

My dad always had a funny saying I liked: It takes all kinds, and they're all here."

Here's another one from dad: Some people just like to stomp on the petunias!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 02-13-2007, 01:32 PM   #72  
Inking Addict

My wife told me the story of what happened to her friend at a baby shower. The friend had made a card which she gave along with her gift. Someone saw the card and asked her if she "really saves that much money on cards by making her own".
Old 02-13-2007, 03:56 PM   #73  
Insane Embellisher

I would have asked her to give me 10 reasons why it is a stupid hobby and why would she say something so mean. I mean just because my husband likes to work on cars doesn't mean it's a stupid hobby. If it makes him happy, that's great. It doesn't mean I have to like it. I do help him sometimes when he needs it, but I do harp on him to get an air conditioner for the garage in the summer. We need it in the TX heat.

Anyways, by asking her to give you 10 reasons why it's a stupid hobby, it makes her explain herself, of which she likely wouldn't have a good explanation and would be at a loss for words, making her look stupid.

Vicki

Remember no time is ever wasted that makes people better friends...so we aren't all wasting our time here on SCS.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:22 PM   #74  
Hardware Hotshot

Well, I guess I'm not as nice as most of the ladies here. I wouldn't make her a card. I don't waste my time on rude and inconsiderate, hurtful people. I would probably just say something like, "Wow, that's pretty rude. Is that your hobby? I think mine is better."
Old 02-13-2007, 06:52 PM   #75  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by lexismoo
Thanks to all for replying. I'll keep ignoring the rude remarks. After all, I have all the great SCS'ers to chat with that appreciate the hobby. You guys are great!

We got your back!
Some people are just rude and have no social skills.
Some people say rude things and think they are being funny.

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If youíve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Old 02-14-2007, 05:03 AM   #76  
Stampin' Fool

Sometimes it works to say "That was mean/thoughtless/rude. Why would you say something like that?" Then be silent. The other person is left having to defend their actions, which can be quite uncomfortable especially if there's a whole group of people standing around.