Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-10-2006, 10:29 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Question What do you prefer to make at a Make-N-Take?

I'm going to be hosting my very first make-n-take in about a week and a half, after just becoming a new demonstrator. Here's my question...when you've attended make-n-takes, what do you prefer to make? Just cards? If so, regular-sized or ATC's or square cards? Would you prefer to make a "project"? By that I mean a box, bag, pouch, pen, picture frame, etc? My mind is just spinning with ideas and I can't get any of them to STICK! Please help me out with your suggestions...I"m starting to even dream about what I'll make.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:32 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love Make and takes!!!!
I would say I probably prefer cards, cause I can use them instantly or copy them easily when i get home.
I've been to M&T's where we have done projects and they are fun, but unless I have an immediate use for them, they tend to get pushed to the back of the shelf.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-10-2006, 10:37 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Definitely cards. I think I've only used 1 of the projects I've made at these things, and that was only because I didn't want to store it! Cards are much easier to give away if they aren't my "style." Have fun!
Old 07-10-2006, 10:39 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Thanks, Nancy, for your input. I hadn't even thought about the projects ending up on the back shelf. I have some of those there too.
Anybody else care to share their preferences?????
Julie
Old 07-10-2006, 10:41 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Thanks to you too, Helen.
Would still love to hear from you other stampers...b-day cards? anniversary? thank you? sympathy? get well? just because? Which ones do you find you never have enough of on hand and ready to go?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2006, 10:42 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

MASCULINE cards!!! Went to a make n take the weekend before Father's Day weekend and really appreciated the FD card we made there!
Old 07-10-2006, 10:43 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

The first work shop I went to we made 2 make and takes. One was a card (with embossing) the second was a box (using poppin' pastels)

I think more than good projects, you need to demonstrate neat techniques- the card was not my style at all, but it was my first time to heat emboss- and I fell in love with it.

I would stay away from ATCs because non stampers don't know what to do with them.

If you want to do more than one card, but are just starting out and don't want to do cardstock, I would do one regular card, and then show how you can mount a card front to a piece of cardstock, but just make card fronts- I think it is better to get people hooked on the actual stamps and techniques than on a specific card.

Not a demo- just a customer.

At stamp camps, I prefer cards- but I usually go to them based on the samples sent out.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:46 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Default cards!

I like doing cards. I usually don't care what kind of card it is, but I like to see a new technique. I've been to some parties where most of the attendees were "serious" stampers but the demo showed some really basic stuff. If you can, find out what level the attendees are at and if they are more seasoned stampers, you might want to do some really cool technique.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:29 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Thanks so much, everyone. I'm soaking it all in and trying to make my decision. Also, what is the difference between a make-n-take and a Stamp camp? Maybe I used the wrong words when I said make-n-take. Basically, I am inviting over almost everyone I know who possibly might be interested in stamping - a lot of newbies and some serious - and having them make 6 - 8 projects with my supplies at my house, in the hopes that either they'll love stamping and place an order from the catalog or else just come back to my home each time I have one. Of course, there will be a minimal fee for them to come, but just enough to cover supplies. Is that a M&T or a camp? What's the difference?
Julie
Old 07-10-2006, 11:36 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

I haven't been to many of these, but I really like to make cards. I like the idea of masculine cards, too, 'cause they are harder to come up with a design for. Projects are okay, but like someone else said, if I don't have a use right away, then it collects dust on the shelf. I don't do as much scrapbooking, so pages for that aren't useful (besides I do 8.5 X 11 and most people seem to do 12X12).

HTH!!

Elizabeth (4/96)
Hannah (9/97)

Andrew (5/00)
Anthony (2/02)

Abigail ( 9/14/06)

"A word spoken in due season, how good it is!" Prov 15:23
Old 07-10-2006, 11:52 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I really enjoy doing cards, but I also enjoy learning how to make things OTHER than cards, like bags & sour cream containers. I like learning new techniques & finding out that they really aren't too hard. (Poppin Pastels, water-coloring, embossing etc.). I really love going to workshops! Good Luck with yours!!!!

~Melanie
Old 07-10-2006, 11:59 AM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

For what you just described (more of what I would have thought of a stamp camp- but I think it just depends who introduces you to the terms- a make and take, to me is a style of workshop, a camp is something I go to where I pay a fee to learn from the demo) with 6-8 projects, I would do a majority of cards- with a varying degree of difficultly.

So say 4 cards (1 basic, 1 hard, 2 medium, 1 box, and maybe 1 small scrapbook page or ATC?
That way you can show people other things stamps can be used for, but stick mostly with cards because they are easy to make and great for teaching new techniques on.

Another fun thing to do is a stamp a stack- say a 10 for $10- and repeat the cards made for easier set up, 3 of each of 2 different cards, and 4 of another.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:00 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well when I have been to a M&T it has been free and we've only done like 1-2 cards or one simple project. When I've been to a Stamp camp, there has been a fee$$ and we have done more. so I guess depending on how much your charging and how much stuff they will walk away with...
I guess you can really call it whatever you like better.
I've also been to 'Stamp a stack's" and there was a higher fee but I made like 25-30 cards.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:02 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I like to do a mixture -- more cards than not, but definitely gift ideas or boxes or something. I always love to get new ideas for gifts. - Gay Howe
Old 07-10-2006, 12:21 PM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm a card girl, but I love to learn new things. I'd never used a background stamp or watercolour pencils until I went to my first demo and it was great to learn some tricks and new techniques.

I'd be more inclined to make cards agin rather than a project. I love the all purpose, just because, don't need areason cards. I'm also interested in cards with text on the front.

hth.

Good luck
suzanne
Old 07-10-2006, 12:22 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

I agree with the others. Cards for make-n-takes.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:34 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Things that I have loved and used from make and takes would be different ways to fold a card (nothing time consuming just like cutting at the 4 1/4 mark and folding it down so the card opens at the bottom - wouldn't have occurred to me before seeing it at a demo) and backing a white card with a piece of color cardstock (again loved how it turned out but wouldn't have thought of it by myself). Love new techniques but the ones where its not going to take hours to finish a card - I like embossing, different mediums to use to color with, blender pens, punches, SPINNER CARDS
Old 07-10-2006, 12:40 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I'll jump in with my .02 worth. I try to find out what the demo is going to be doing. If it's "projects" or anything other than cards, I won't go because I'm just not interested in other things. I, too, like to learn new techniques that I can go home and try. Good luck in your first venture.

Wanda
Old 07-10-2006, 12:41 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Default What about making a tote ...

I think a fabulous M&T would be to make a couple of cards with a matching tote. Here is the link to the thread with directions for making the totes: //www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146114

The tote only requires one full sheet of paper, a few scrap pieces and four thin strips of coordinating cardstock. You could make the tote match the stamped design of the cards. I have made several of these as gifts and they have been a big hit. Here's a link to some I've made: //www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=284918&cat=500&ppuser=3325

Some may consider this more of a stamp camp project, but I think if you made one or two cards and a tote it would make a nice M&T project.

Good luck.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:44 PM   #20  
Glitter Queen

I prefer cards. And if new techniques are used all the better. Oh and maybe something different than the usual "hello" or "happy birthday". What about a "sympathy" or "congratulations" type card.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:49 PM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Once again, thank you, thank you, and thank you. I am always amazed at how helpful everyone is on this site. You are all wonderful.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:08 PM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

I like a mixture of both. Even though I still has most of the projects that I have done with my demo, I have duplicated her ideas in many occassions to give out as small gifts. She has a holiday gift camp that I love. I have used those ideas before!!
At open houses we usually make 3 cards. At camp we usually have 2 or 3 cards and a project.

Jeanette
Old 07-10-2006, 05:24 PM   #23  
Watercolor Wizard

Cards...I love to make and take cards that can be made in 10 minutes or less. My SU demo has several workshops a year that features those cards. Love it, love it, love it!! I also enjoy learning new techniques.

Hugs, Joanne
Old 07-10-2006, 06:20 PM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

A mixture of both! At every stamp camp I have attended, I come away and duplicate the present type projects for teachers, etc. Beaded pens, memo cubes, post it note holders, etc.

I am a sucker for a new technique. I will almost always add whatever we used to my order. The copper cardstock or glossy cardstock comes to mind. Have fun!!
Old 07-10-2006, 09:10 PM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by julie's stampin
.... I am inviting over almost everyone I know who possibly might be interested in stamping - a lot of newbies and some serious - and having them make 6 - 8 projects with my supplies at my house, in the hopes that either they'll love stamping and place an order from the catalog or else just come back to my home each time I have one. Of course, there will be a minimal fee for them to come, but just enough to cover supplies.....
I'd call this a stamp camp too since there are so many and a cost (unless you spend a minimum amount and then it is free). To me, a make-n-take would be only 2-3 cards and free. I'm not a demo, but I've been to alot of stamp camps. I think it is important to consider your audience and their stamping ability. Do what fits for the majority of the attendees. For the newbies especially, you want them to be successful quickly so they feel like they can do it on their own. Make it easy with great results in a short amount of time.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:16 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I'm going to be hosting my very first make-n-take in about a week and a half, after just becoming a new demonstrator. Here's my question...when you've attended make-n-takes, what do you prefer to make? Just cards? If so, regular-sized or ATC's or square cards? Would you prefer to make a "project"? By that I mean a box, bag, pouch, pen, picture frame, etc? My mind is just spinning with ideas and I can't get any of them to STICK! Please help me out with your suggestions...I"m starting to even dream about what I'll make.
just cards. its usually easier to get through with in a group and something that will for sure be used. the other stuff is awesome but like to do those at a club or specific class
Old 07-10-2006, 10:31 PM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

I saw an awesome swap run by smallpigpig where you make a Christmas card with a matching gift tag. I think a 'set' idea like that is neat!
Old 07-11-2006, 03:41 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

This sounds a bit more like a stamp camp I have attended - there were supplies (and a demo) for perhaps 10 different ideas, and we could choose 8 of the 10. (The number may depend on amount of time, difficulty, etc.) I agree that cards are best - but maybe one simple project. Good luck.

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Old 07-11-2006, 04:44 AM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

For sure cards and regular sized full ones. I attended one Make and Take and she had all these cutsey projects, no cards. I ended up throwing them all away. Cards are useful but these were not.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:07 AM   #30  
Kookie Creator

Cards are the favorite. I have been to many M-N-T and also Stamp Camps. My demo has always had more cards, but will throw a project in every once in a while. I don't care about making boxes etc, so I have started skipping those M-N-T or camps. I did enjoy the tag holder she showed us how to make with the page protector, and with that we made 8 or so tags to put inside. This is a nice quick gift for someone. Those little projects I really enjoy as I know I can use the ideas. The card totes are also a very useful project - plus the cards to put inside. These camps are great for theme camps and make GREAT gifts. She always has a new technique to learn and that is a real plus. Getting to actually try the technique (hands on) helps me and I know helps her, as my order gets bigger and bigger!!!! Good luck with your first M-N-T, I'm sure it will be a success. Let us know what you decided on.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:11 AM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

What is an ATC?
Old 07-11-2006, 05:49 AM   #32  
Kookie Creator

Artist Trading Cards - check the gallery out. There are TONS of cute ones on there.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:39 AM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

Not a demo- just a customer.

At stamp camps, I prefer cards- but I usually go to them based on the samples sent out.

Skittl1321:

Can you give me more info when you say "Samples sent out? Did the demo make samples of the cards you would make and use the sample as an invitation to the SAS? Did they use cards, card fronts, ATC's or just photos for samples?
Thank you in advance!
Old 07-11-2006, 07:06 AM   #34  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairle

Skittl1321:

Can you give me more info when you say "Samples sent out? Did the demo make samples of the cards you would make and use the sample as an invitation to the SAS? Did they use cards, card fronts, ATC's or just photos for samples?
Thank you in advance!
Both of my demos use an email list for all their invitations to stamp camps- they usually attach an image of 2 or 3 of the projects we will be making- to give you an idea of what is in store. I usually decide to go based on if I want to learn how to make that particular card or technique.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:52 PM   #35  
Embossing Fanatic

Wink

Speaking as someone who will be attending your make n' takes (or stamp camps....whichever you prefer to call them ).....I personally think that if you start off your first one w/mostly cards, you might have more interested people to return. I personally love each of the projects I've made in stamp classes. But like some of the other girls have said, the cards are much more versatile. Either for reproducing at home, or to send to someone immediately. As adorable as the projects are......you just don't always know what to do w/them once you bring them home.

So, in my opinion, start off w/cards. At least for the first class. Then ask those who attended what they might want you to have them work on for the next one. Once you've started, you'll know where you'll want to go w/it. Who knows, maybe your "students" will want a few projects every once in awhile for a change of pace. Especially if you have people attend that aren't very familiar yet w/stamping.

Best of luck, I know you're a little nervous, but you're going to do great! I'm very anxious to attend! As creative as you are, it'll be a breeze.

avatar is my youngest hanging on the back of my oldest last summer
Old 07-11-2006, 02:01 PM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

I've demo'ed cards and projects at my workshop make-n-takes. There are usually all levels of stampers at a workshop. I may have 1-2 cards for them to make and a choice between a third card or a special project (boxes, stamping on a stone tile, or tea light covers, etc...). I usually tell the gals up front that there will be a small fee to cover cost of the SPECIAL PROJECT and they have no objections. Demo cards at first, then as a teaser, make some suggestions and find out how interested your guests will be. You want to keep them coming back! - Cards are my favorite because you can re-visit new ways to use accessories and sell those. - My definition of a stamp camp is to do the SPECIAL PROJECTS for a fee. You'll have to see if you can coral a bunch of guests or not for one of those. Some Demos have a great response to Stamp Camps and others not. If not, use some these approaches to have return customers at a workshop. Your Hostess will be thrilled to tell her friends what you'll feature and bring 'em in.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:32 PM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow with 6 to 8 projects I would offer a variety. Like someone else said, 4 cards and others being projects.

I like doing tags because they can be used for various reasons -- have a display with all the ways they can use them (for gift sacs, for cards ( put a slot in the card to tuck the tag in), for scrapbook pages, for bookmarks.

I even did a shaker tag for a workshop one night and they loved it. They have the opportunity to go home and play with it or they can add it to whatever they like. It was the size of 2x3 so the cost of the adhesive and window sheet is offset by the small quantities of that and the c/s.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:22 PM   #38  
Cardstock Collector

Cards, cards, cards! I've attended workshops and put on workshops so this is not only my own preference but my experience with my customers. I often show (make or finish it at the event) a cute item that I GIVE to my hostess so they get to SEE the technique. This way if they are interested in making the special item (paper purse, stamped note pad, etc.) they can host a stamp camp. But when I've offered a choice cards is what the majority requests. I do try and have samples of other cute projects and people ooh and aah and say they get good ideas but they want to make cards.

As for greetings on cards - birthday and thank you are the most requested but I often bring several greetings that will work with say a floral card so each person can make their card with the greeting they desire. I usually have one specific card and one with optional greetings.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:41 PM   #39  
Kookie Creator

I prefer mostly cards, too. Alot of projects, like beaded pens or little purses and other things, I just personally wouldn't do at home. They are cute, but I didn't really want to make one to send to someone. The one little project that I was tickled with as a beginner was one of those little packages that holds an individual packet of hot chocolate (great for a christmas stocking stuffer, but you could do an individual packet of ice tea mix or something for summer). It was a very simple thing that looked real cute and made me go "hey, I could do that". What you could do is have some examples of special projects and let people know that these are also some types of things they could do and if you get enough people interested, you can hold a special little class for that.

"Creativity is a continual surprise" (Ray Bradbury)
Old 07-11-2006, 06:51 PM   #40  
Die Cut Diva

I love the idea of doing the totes with cards in them, everyone loves these..here's a picture of the totes I made for the end of the year for the teachers.

Filled tote bags

Here are the cards I put in the totes I made for the male teachers:
Male cards

And here are the female cards
Female Cards

Or what about bag toppers with candy inside of the bags? I loved doing these, made me do them for Christmas gifts.

Or these boxes turned out *SO* cute!
Easter Boxes Closed
Easter Boxes Opened

Or even, what about nugget boxes? What girl can't use chocolate?!
Easter Nugget boxes
Nugget boxes for kids
Bagalopes and Nugget boxes

Ok..enough of that, you get the idea..lol! Hope this helps some! I love cards and chocolate, so these two things work great!