Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-09-2006, 06:25 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Question What do you do with old SU catalogs?

Now that I have the new I don't need the old one. Do you save them? I was thinking of cutting out or scanning the examples I like and then tossing it. Is there any reason to keep it?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-09-2006, 06:28 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default SU Catalogs

Well given the ideas on SCS I have thrown all of mine away because I think the WOW cards are all here. However, I did read a thread where someone paid $99 on ebay for an old catalog. Not worth the storage space to me but I'll bet that person who made $99 thought so.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:06 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

I like to hang on to at least one copy of the old catalogs. They are nice to have to reference later on for: - additional ideas, remember that styles come and go and things often come back - looking up the price you paid for an item if you decide to sell it later - looking up a item if you see it being referred to or offered for sale later - looking up an image to figure out which Set it belongs in.
If you are a Demo, then it is definitely a good idea to hang on to at least one copy for all the reasons listed above. Even if you don't need to look up past items for yourself, you might need to do so someday for a customer. It's a great way to offer some extra customer service.
If you are a Demo and have lots of extras, then consider selling the extras to customers at a price you and your customers are comfortable with. It gets another great idea book into their hands and many of the items they can still purchase from you. If they really want something that is retired, you might be able to suggest a similar item that is available. Or, you can give the catalogs away as door prizes, hostess gifts, etc. I've also heard of people leaving them out in breakrooms, waiting rooms, etc. for people to browse through. Maybe put a sticker on it somewhere saying that some of the items may no longer be available, but they can contact you for more information and to get a current catalog. Just before to check with the business owner's to make sure that they allow this sort of thing so your catalog doesn't just get thrown in the trash.
Hope those ideas help some.

My Blog - http://inspirationink.typepad.com/inspiration-ink/
My Stampin' Up! Demonstrator Business Website - http://www.stampinup.net/esuite/home/michelereynolds/
My Pinterest Boards - http://www.pinterest.com/michelerey/
Old 08-09-2006, 07:08 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have kept my copy just for reference. I have catty's back to 2000, I think and they are in a drawer with my other stamping mags.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:17 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

I keep them for the ideas and layouts. I just can't part with them...
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2006, 07:36 AM   #6  
PAPER SCAPER

I keep mine for layout ideas or just checking back on for prices if want to buy a retired set on eBay.

Hang on to them and list on eBay in like the lady that had 99.00 on the 1995 catalog...I didn't stick around to see if she got the buy it now offer...I can only say that is one big foolish spender if she did!
Old 08-09-2006, 07:47 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Most Demos have their personal copy of the catty bound, that way it holds up much better. Usually, it will only cost a few dollars at your local Staples or Kinko's. Use the catty as an idea book, along with your other idea books. You may find it as a great resource.

My Gallery ~ My Blog
Old 08-09-2006, 08:08 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

I keep all my old catalogs and look at them almost as often as the new catalog - which is very often.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:45 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I keep mine too. Just last night I went through them -- I still get ideas for cards -- at first I thought your industrious idea for scanning cards you like was a great one, but then I realized that as my tastes (and needs) have changed over the years, I can go back and get all new inspiration from old catalogues -- design ideas I mean. I'd seriously consider keeping it -- get it bound at Kinkos and it will last forever!
Old 08-09-2006, 08:52 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

This is probably considered some sort of blasphemy but... I cut mine up. I cut all the samples that I like out of the caddy and I glue them into a notebook. I guess I will have to start offering them up on ebay instead.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:54 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I just spent almost 30 minutes looking over my 2003-2004 catty last night! I really enjoyed it and got lots of inspiration from it! I was a very beginning stamper when I first received it and now that I am more experienced, I notice different things on each page. I will never give up my old copies (well maybe the real old ones that are worth $99, LOL!)
Old 08-09-2006, 09:19 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am a hoarder so I can't part with my copies. I have only been a demo since october 05 but have many old catties. I also like to look back at them from time to time if I need a new (well old) idea. Styles and colors change so much I find inspiration from the old stuff.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:22 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

I can't trash mine or even recycle them - I have the one that is listed for the $99 on ebay. It's great to look back and even see how the stamping world has changed - back then SU didn't sell just SU stamps - carried other brands. Kind of exciting if you're into a bit of history. I'm giving that valuable one to a downline to look at - she'll be thrilled to compare the artwork and also what's in there for accessories.

Just my humble opinion. . . .
Old 08-09-2006, 09:23 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

That being said, I'd prefer to NOT keep more than one copy of each, and I have a bunch of 2005-2006 leftovers - English and French (Canadian) ;/
Old 08-09-2006, 09:35 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

I like to keep at leat one of my old catties as a reference book and idea book... You never know when something might hit you and you need to look back to see a retired stamp set or two...
Old 08-09-2006, 09:38 AM   #16  
SCS Moderator

That is the really col thing about the SU catalogs-all the samples!!! I looked at the sets when I first got them-but now can go back (especially for sets that are still current) and see what was done with them before.

Old 08-09-2006, 10:20 AM   #17  
Embossing Fanatic

I keep mine. I love the idea of having them bound, then you don't need to worry about them falling apart.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:26 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

I keep the most recent past year whole but any older I cut up the examples I like and put them in a composition book for future ideas

andrea
Old 08-09-2006, 10:30 AM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

I have kept all mine and still go back for inspiration for cards or just to look back through them once in a while. I can't give mine up either!

Kathi

Stampin' Up! Demonstrator

Old 08-09-2006, 10:46 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Talking

I keep my personal copy every year just to look back and get ideas and see how things have changed. My extras I sell at a discount to customers old & new who might not of been able to get one.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:26 PM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

I keep mine for ideas of layouts and color combinations. I have also used them to look up how a set was used in past years if I was absolutely set on using a set but had no inspiration.

Also, I have used them to find ideas for how to use a new set based on how a past set was used. For example, last year when I got Hey, Ghoul Friend, I looked at past Halloween sets and got a really cute idea for a different way to fold the card.

I also keep all of my mini catties too!
Old 08-09-2006, 03:48 PM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

I keep mine for ideas too!
Old 08-09-2006, 04:00 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

I signed up to demo last year, but really wanted to see the older catties made by SU, so I've just bought a lot of them through the BST forum (Thanks, ladies!!!)... I was mostly curious about the stamp sets SU used to carry, so I can buy the ones that I like... I'm keeping them all - I love stamping/scrapping idea books!!!

"Fearless is not the absence of fear. Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you." (Taylor Swift)
Old 08-09-2006, 04:25 PM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

I keep all of mine for many reasons - for reference and for ideas (plus it's just fun to look at and see all the changes through the years.
My old ones go back to 1998!

Alexa says I'm her mommy's Pretend Stamping Friend....what an honor!

What we do for Ourselves, dies with Us. What we do for Others and the World, Remains and is Immortal." ~ Albert Pike
Old 08-09-2006, 05:17 PM   #25  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by happystamper05
I keep all of mine for many reasons - for reference and for ideas (plus it's just fun to look at and see all the changes through the years.
My old ones go back to 1998!

DITTO...I have saved mine from the very first one that I rec'd. I think 2000. I'm too lazy to look now. I love looking through them for inspiration and ideas. I also like to see how the sets have changed and evolved over the years. Lots of fun I love the idea to have them bound. Will have to remember that tip!!
Old 08-09-2006, 05:27 PM   #26  
Glitter Guru

I couldn't imagine getting rid of my old catties or even my mini catties. There's always some (usually a ton of) ideas that I missed all the numerous times I've looked at them before. As much as I love the ideas here on SCS, my warm laptop doesn't give me the same cozy feeling when looking for an idea for a certain set while laying in bed before bedtime. I still love to be able to flip through the actual paper pages. Sometimes, too, if I have a relatively obscure retired set, SCS doesn't have any samples of it to look at, so I always go back to the catties.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:41 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

My first catty was 1999-2000. I still have every one since then, including my first one. I look through them as much as I look at the recent one. In fact, I'm getting ready to do a card from a sample in the 2003-2004 later this evening.

I even keep all of the mini's. Who knows what you might like in them at a later date.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:58 PM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

I'd never part with any of my catties or minis. My first one is 1999 and I have every year since then. When I get a new stamp set I run the sticker sheet through the copier before I put them on the wood blocks. Then I put the photo copy in my notebook under the proper catagory (flowers,birthday, kids, Easter, Christmas, etc.) Then on each page I include the page number and year where I can find that stamp set in each years catalog. This way when I want ideas I know exactly where to look to find examples. Works great. I just started my notebook about two years ago and it took me awhile to get organized, but it only takes a few minutes to do the two or three sets I buy each month. This also helps me find the stamp set I want to use as my stamp sets are stored in labeled boxes or drawers by catagory. The only problem with this system is most sets could be listed under more than one catagory unless it is a holiday. Such as most flower sets have a butterfly or bird or heart with it. I still find it's easier to look through the notebook to find the stamp set.

Gail in MI
Old 08-09-2006, 07:44 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

I HOARD them and look at them over and over and cry over the sets I want but didn't get and cheer for the ones that I hoped would retire that did! I flip through them for quick card ideas. I read the while I snack on things and I lend them to "non-stampers" when they want an idea for a card. I just love them, can you tell? I only startd stamping about two years ago, but I have the last three catalogs, which is not enough for me, I'd like one of each they ever made, but I am not parting with $99 for any old catty! Anyway, if you don't love it, I wouldn't keep it either, I think you had a good idea with the scanning the cards you do like. But I owuld cry if I had to give up any of mine
Old 08-09-2006, 08:04 PM   #30  
Mad Swapper

I keep a copy of the Idea Book, inspiration sheets and mini catalogs. Couldn't part with any of them.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:13 PM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

The one the lady was trying to sell for $99 didn't sell. I just looked at the completed aution of it.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:23 PM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

I only have two but I've decided just to keep the two most recent catalogs as a general rule.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:19 AM   #33  
Kookie Creator

Looking to see the 2000 catalogue. Anyone willing to scan and send me the page with the Fairies set? Dying to see original samples. [email protected]
Old 08-10-2006, 12:27 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a catty from the very beginning of my stamping start w/ SU that was 1995, I go through it every once in a while to see how the times have changed remember "Rocket Red"?? too cute. I could never throw them away I wouldn't even sell them on E-bay. I only have one copy for each year. I would like to find the older one's that I don't have but I wouldn't pay $99 yikes!!!!

Sorry for the hi-jack but when year did SU start up???
Old 08-10-2006, 04:48 AM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurie FW
I just spent almost 30 minutes looking over my 2003-2004 catty last night! I really enjoyed it and got lots of inspiration from it! I was a very beginning stamper when I first received it and now that I am more experienced, I notice different things on each page. I will never give up my old copies (well maybe the real old ones that are worth $99, LOL!)
I do this too! I keep 1 copy of each catalog for reference. I find that as my experience increases, I notice new things in the old catalogs. I also mark the sets in my catalog that I have purchased and the ones my Mom, aunts and close friends have purchased. Then, I don't buy something they already own, I know I can borrow theirs. So, I use it for inventory purposes too!
Old 08-10-2006, 04:57 AM   #36  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni M&M Stamper

I have kept mine as reference books as well! My favorite catty to date is still the very first one I bought in 2003 (yeah, I'm still a baby in the stampin' world).
FS #44
My Blog: wheremmsgather
Old 08-10-2006, 05:58 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

I keep at least 1 copy and the rest I donate (with a note that says it is outdated but a great resource, include my a# to call for a new one), give them to some area programs, put them in MD/Dentist office.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:43 AM   #38  
Inking Addict

I have all mine from when I started in 1998--including the mini's - they are great for color combo idea's for other cards, looking back at old sets for ideas. I take mine to Kinko's and get them spiral bound so they are much easier to look at and fold over as I'm stamping.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:42 AM   #39  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4stampin
I have all mine from when I started in 1998--including the mini's - they are great for color combo idea's for other cards, looking back at old sets for ideas. I take mine to Kinko's and get them spiral bound so they are much easier to look at and fold over as I'm stamping.

Do you mind me asking what it costs to have them spiral bound? I would love to have all of mine done!! It would be so much easier to fold back when I am making cards. What a great !!! TIA

Old 08-10-2006, 02:10 PM   #40  
Insane Embellisher

I always keep one for inspiration. There are so many samples and ideas in every catalog.