Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-30-2009, 05:53 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is This Possible????

I have a thought in mind but not sure if it's possible. In my quest to downsize my stash...I was thinking I could take my SU! stamps off the blocks, clean the sticky stuff off and put Aileene's TIO&O on them and use them that way. I'm getting more into clear stamps but there are SU! I won't get rid of. Doing this would take up a LOT less space and, to me, wouldn't be much different than using clear stamps. Is this possible or am I way off in my thinking? If so, what is the safest way to remove the sticky stuff? TIA!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2009, 06:02 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Yes, it's possible. I've done it alot! If the cushion doesn't just peel off (which most of mine did), just put them in some hot soapy water and that should loosen the glue. To get them off the blocks, stick 'em in the microwave for about 20 seconds. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2009, 06:05 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks Jeri!!! I've never used TIO&O...how long does it take to dry? Will the stamps stick to each other and mess them up with the TIO&O on the back?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2009, 03:10 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I like to leave the Tack It to dry overnight but that's probably not necessary. I also stick the dried stamp to my clothes before placing in CD cases. This helps keep the stamp from being too sticky and leaving residue on the cd case or the stamping block.

When I'm using the Tack It on NEW SU stamps I put the index sticker over the SU sticky foam FIRST and then put the Tack In on top of that. That was I can tell what the stamp looks like from the back (making it easier to select the stamp from the case) and the sticker keeps the super tacky glue on back of the foam from making the unmounted stamp too sticky.

Good luck! You won't regret it. The space-saving is amazing and you won't cringe over stained wood blocks anymore!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2009, 03:20 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I used to use the glue, but now I use Tack 'n Peel on my blocks and just leave the rubber bare. I store the bare rubber stamps in a regular envelope with the images stamped on the front. Those are stored in plastic boxes with dividers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2009, 04:56 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeth1View Post
I used to use the glue, but now I use Tack 'n Peel on my blocks and just leave the rubber bare. I store the bare rubber stamps in a regular envelope with the images stamped on the front. Those are stored in plastic boxes with dividers.

I was wondering if this would be easier. I already had some so I stuck it to a few blocks. I have several 50% off coupons I use to purchase the sheets so it won't be that expensive. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2009, 05:07 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I unmounted just about all of my woodmounted stamps last year. I used to be an SU demonstrater, and had thousands of stamps to unmount! It took several months! I peeled the rubber off and used the Tack it Over glue, and stored them in CD cases. This is working fine for me, but EZ mount would be nice too, not as sticky and no glue reside on your acrylic blocks. Either way.

I did seperate my sets into categories too, in case you wonder about it when you get to that point. I hesitated at first, but then decided organizing my stamps into catagories was the main reason for doing all that work!

I used my heat gun breifly on the stubborn rubber that just wouldn't give. Worked like a charm! I heated the rubber just to the point where it started to smell, then I knew it was "cooked" enough to come off easily. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2009, 06:21 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 532 Likes on 237 Posts

I started my unmounted project with the Alene's Tack It Over and Over. I followed directions given here on SCS...VERY thin coat...just on top of the adhesive left on the back of the foam cushion, let dry thoroughly, touch to hand or jeans a few times to make it tacky and not sticky. I found that many became more sticky as time went on. I would peel them off the storage sheet and leave foam behind. They left residue on my blocks. And when you clean them, the glue gets wet again and you have to let it dry again. I decided that the expense of the EZMount was worth it. I don't have ANY of those problems. So the ones that went the route of TIO&O are being redone in EZMount.

All that said, some people have no trouble...and some people do. I did.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2009, 12:52 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 123 Likes on 68 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hobbydivaView Post
I was wondering if this would be easier. I already had some so I stuck it to a few blocks. I have several 50% off coupons I use to purchase the sheets so it won't be that expensive. Thanks!
Can you get Tack 'n Peel in Michael's or ACMoore's? Where is your 50% off coupon for?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2009, 01:06 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paper JunkyView Post
Can you get Tack 'n Peel in Michael's or ACMoore's? Where is your 50% off coupon for?
I couldn't find Tack'n Peel locally (Houston) at M's or HL or JA so I bought mine on Ebay. I haven't tried it yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2009, 01:42 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

JoAnn's use to carry it. I haven't looked for any there. I'm hoping they still do so I can use my coupons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2009, 01:59 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 123 Likes on 68 Posts

I just called my Jo's--they have it online but not in the store. But that's at least good to know. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2009, 03:26 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

ok...how do I get the ez mount residue off the backs? Some are still sticky after removing the ez mount.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2009, 06:44 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by calgrammaView Post
Yes, it's possible. I've done it alot! If the cushion doesn't just peel off (which most of mine did), just put them in some hot soapy water and that should loosen the glue. To get them off the blocks, stick 'em in the microwave for about 20 seconds. HTH
Ummm...how long did you soak them? DH and I are sitting here with toothbrushes trying to scrub it off and it isn't working. Heating them is taking the foam off the blocks but making the glue stickier on the rubber. My fingers hurt so bad trying to get the ez-mount off. The SU! ones aren't as bad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2009, 02:25 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

btt
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2009, 04:25 AM   #16  
Knit, Purl, Stamp

Quote:

I just called my Jo's--they have it online but not in the store. But that's at least good to know. Thank you.
I just saw some at my Joann's this past week. I wonder if they are just not re-stocking it in the stores. You might get lucky and find some in the store and save on shipping costs.

My Gallery
My Blog - My adventures in knitting
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2009, 04:41 AM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

Thumbs up

I got my Tack N Peel from www.acmoore.com.

To take off the stickiness, I soaked the rubber stamp in 90% rubbing alcohol for a few minutes. Wear disposable gloves because the alcohol can be drying to your fingers. Then, when the glue has softened, rub it away with a paper towel that you dampened with the alcohol. It comes off very easily, (if it doesn't, let it soak a little longer) then rinse off the stamp with clear water and dry.

I did ALL my 200+ SU! sets last summer and now storage is sooooo easy.

*** Do NOT put your clear stamps on the TACK N PEEL! It is also a type of acrylic and they will stick together and it is sometimes very hard to peel the acrylic stamp off the Tack N Peel. The stamp might rip. Just use the side of the acrylic block WITHOUT the Tack N Peel for your acrylic stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2009, 06:30 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitty14View Post
I got my Tack N Peel from www.acmoore.com.

To take off the stickiness, I soaked the rubber stamp in 90% rubbing alcohol for a few minutes. Wear disposable gloves because the alcohol can be drying to your fingers. Then, when the glue has softened, rub it away with a paper towel that you dampened with the alcohol. It comes off very easily, (if it doesn't, let it soak a little longer) then rinse off the stamp with clear water and dry.

I did ALL my 200+ SU! sets last summer and now storage is sooooo easy.

*** Do NOT put your clear stamps on the TACK N PEEL! It is also a type of acrylic and they will stick together and it is sometimes very hard to peel the acrylic stamp off the Tack N Peel. The stamp might rip. Just use the side of the acrylic block WITHOUT the Tack N Peel for your acrylic stamps.

THANK YOU!!!! I am sooo tired of trying to get this stuff off...lol!!! I'll have a set of blocks for my acrylics and a set for my rubber stamps. Where can I buy a clear block big enough for SU! BG's and wheels?????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2009, 06:37 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Here's a good place to get acrylic blocks!

http://www.cornishheritagefarms.com/.../cPath/374_375
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2009, 06:38 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
Here's a good place to get acrylic blocks!

http://www.cornishheritagefarms.com/.../cPath/374_375
Thanks Nancy! How ya doing?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2009, 06:57 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hey, Jada!! You remembered me from BST!! Me, too - it's what made me read the thread!

Good for you with the unmounting!! I unmounted all of my SU - either EZmount or Tack'n'Peel. Glad to see you are getting good advice here.

BTW, I'm hoping to post back in the sales forum again this week ~ all unmounted! ~ so pop on over and check it out if you see it!

[as for what's new, check out my signature line links - they have great cling-mounted rubber there ;) ]

Good luck with your unmounting project! I think it's *the* way to go if you have storage issues and I couldn't be happier with it.

P.S. DH helping with the scrubbing?! Not in a million years here LOL!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2009, 07:17 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
Hey, Jada!! You remembered me from BST!! Me, too - it's what made me read the thread!

Good for you with the unmounting!! I unmounted all of my SU - either EZmount or Tack'n'Peel. Glad to see you are getting good advice here.

BTW, I'm hoping to post back in the sales forum again this week ~ all unmounted! ~ so pop on over and check it out if you see it!

[as for what's new, check out my signature line links - they have great cling-mounted rubber there ;) ]

Good luck with your unmounting project! I think it's *the* way to go if you have storage issues and I couldn't be happier with it.

P.S. DH helping with the scrubbing?! Not in a million years here LOL!!

Sure I remember you! Any suggestions to get the stickiness of the blocks them selves??? Pm me when you post...I'll definitely check it out! Thanks! I have them stored in drawers and it works great but I'm seriously trying to downsize :rolleyes: I have more stamps than I could use in a year! :rolleyes: I'm starting to like clear stamps more and more but there's those SU! I just can't part with....lol!

eta...Yep! DH doesn't mind helping me with that stuff. He's even made a few cards and SB pages! Yeah...I'm a little spoiled...ROFL!!!! I have lots of stuff up in BST...I'll make you some deals! :mrgreen:

Last edited by hobbydiva; 05-02-2009 at 07:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2009, 07:41 AM   #23  

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I post this idea all the time, BUT it was a suggestion I got on here that was the best idea for me so I just keep sharing it! You can use your stickers to see through the rubber!!!:

I unmounted many of my older sets, but KEPT the stickers. I just peeled the stickers off and stuck them on the foam side, then put a coat of Tack It Over and Over glue on the sticker side to adhere to my CD case (or, in my case, the detached clamshell lid). You can then see right through the acrylic block to the image from the sticker and perfectly align your image every time! It makes browsing my images effortless. So I say, KEEP THOSE STICKERS! They are priceless and match perfectly (of course)! You'll never get that nice strong image again, even if you stamp in StaZon.

As for the blocks, when I can bear to part with them (and I'll still keep some fer sher), I'll probably take them to the church's pre-school play place. In the mean time, I'm waiting for a project to use them on. Attached Thumbnails [IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=144304&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1240794942[/IMG] [IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=144305&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1240794952[/IMG]

Can you tell what I've done from these pics? It cut my storage space down to a few boxes for my older sets!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2009, 08:29 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Instead of using the microwave I stick mine in the freezer for about 20 minutes and they peal right off without any stickyness. If you forget about them lets say over night, it won't hurt them. My friend shared this tip with me and it is so much easier.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2009, 08:47 AM   #25  

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaperCraftyView Post
Instead of using the microwave I stick mine in the freezer for about 20 minutes and they peal right off without any stickyness. If you forget about them lets say over night, it won't hurt them. My friend shared this tip with me and it is so much easier.

Fabulous idea! I can put a bunch in there at once and take them out as I have the time! Thanks PaperCrafty!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by hobbydivaView Post
Sure I remember you! Any suggestions to get the stickiness of the blocks them selves??? Pm me when you post...I'll definitely check it out! Thanks! I have them stored in drawers and it works great but I'm seriously trying to downsize :rolleyes: I have more stamps than I could use in a year! :rolleyes: I'm starting to like clear stamps more and more but there's those SU! I just can't part with....lol!

eta...Yep! DH doesn't mind helping me with that stuff. He's even made a few cards and SB pages! Yeah...I'm a little spoiled...ROFL!!!! I have lots of stuff up in BST...I'll make you some deals!
Hey I really liked the idea of putting them in the freezer to get the stamps off the blocks!!

Are you wondering how to get residue off the wood blocks or the unmounted rubber? Or the TIOAO off the acrylic blocks? I never used the Ailene's glue.

And when I took my stamps off the wood blocks (seems like forever ago!), I'd put one in the m/w for about 20 seconds, peel up the rubber, and toss the block. I rarely had much glue residue on the rubber at all ~ whatever was there I could rub off with my thumb. Stuck the rubber right on EZmount and carved it out with the hot knife. Went pretty quickly actually.

I still have quite a few that are just rubber and I do have EZmount sheets ~ but just haven't bothered since I found Tack'n'Peel. Should really get around to that one day!

I'll let you know when my post is up ~ there are a bunch of people I was supposed to contact, but I've put it off so long I don't think I have their names anymore!! I've held off hoping more SU would retire . . . guess I still have to check those out before I sell them here ;)

take care, Jada!! And "Yay!" to your DH
Reply With Quote Likes