Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   what am i doing wrong?!?!?!? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/what-am-i-doing-wrong-148286/)

smitty2004 05-22-2006 12:52 AM

what am i doing wrong?!?!?!?

:confused: :confused:
hi,
after a 3rd attempt at the cracked glass effect, i am giving up. i layer and layer and when it comes out of the freezer the "cracks" are barely distinguisable and if i "fiddle" with it too much, little pieces crack off. i tried over and over thinking i hadn't layered enough but that doesn't work! waaaaahhhh i really wanted to make one of these cards!
please help explain what i am doing incorrectly, thanks!
jan:(

Ally 05-22-2006 12:55 AM

Have you tried sponging ink over the cracks to make them more noticable.
How many layers did you use? I use 6 layers of normal embossing powder, with versamark between each layer and I then put it in the freezer for about 20 minutes.

smitty2004 05-22-2006 01:46 AM

well...

i have used 3 layers of utee and i sponge and i sit in the freezer like a good stamper to moniter the card and still nothing! i am pathetic at this technique and i really like it! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhh.
seriously, i have tried to "versamark" inbetween layers and on my last attempt apparently the card was hot enough to just add the utee because it peeled off the layers and they stuck to the versamark...<sigh>
i know it's embarrassing to even admit that you talk to me, but this is what happened... any suggestions welcome, i want to conquer this!
jan:confused:

kthaman 05-22-2006 04:39 AM

Mine does that too -- tiny cracks or pieces that fall off. I usually just try for the small cracks and then ink like crazy rubbin it into the cracks -- it is usually "good enough"...still not what I would like to see.

Michelle Z. 05-22-2006 04:48 AM

Try using more layers of embossing. One or two layers just isn't enough to get good cracks. And if pieces are breaking off completely, it means you're fiddling with it too much. Leave it set in the freezer for at least an hour and when you take it out, try bending it quickly (you'll hear it snap) only in two places. One horizontal and one vertical snap is all it takes. Good luck!

kellybee 05-22-2006 05:21 AM

I've had trouble with the UTEE from time to time. Gently bend the image until it cracks (just put it in the freezer for a minute or so) a little and them move to another spot. I usually end up bending the image in 4 or 5 places. If you do get a section where a larger "piece" has cracked, just warm that area for a few seconds with your heat gun until it remelts. Sometimes this technique works out perfectly for me and other times I am fiddling around with an image forever until I get the effect I want.

For what it's worth, you are not the only one who has trouble with this technique. Don't give up!

Kelly Bee

craftygirl04 05-22-2006 05:24 AM

MY utee cracks but the cracks are so small that it is very difficult to get the ink into them.

stamps&cars 05-22-2006 08:57 PM

I haven't had a chance to try it yet but someone else recommended that I use something like my Xyron as the first layer for the UTEE to keep it from popping off.

smitty2004 05-23-2006 01:21 AM

thanks!

i shall go back and try again, in the meantime, take stock out in utee, soon there will be a shortage(due to my persistant useage) and you'll make a fortune LOL
thanks again,
jan;)

Laura7712 05-23-2006 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamps&cars
I haven't had a chance to try it yet but someone else recommended that I use something like my Xyron as the first layer for the UTEE to keep it from popping off.

I'll have to try this.The melted UTEE falls off on me too. It's frustrating.

Saints 05-23-2006 06:25 AM

I usually only have to do 3 layers and usually have to versamark in between each layer. The Glassy glaze enamel has always worked for me. The first time I did it I followed the instructions in the resourses.

angelfire1267 05-23-2006 05:57 PM

I know know you feel. I love this technique, but could not master it. I did a little digging and found a few hints. First I heat the embossing powder from the underside, to keep it from falling off. Next I only do three layers, and stick it in the freezer. I some times over play and some falls off. But Crstal effects works great to put the peices back on. Good luck, and dont give it up.

handstampedhappiness 05-23-2006 06:04 PM

I was having the same problem at first. I found that I was using too much UTEE. Try only doing two layers instead of three. This is what I do.

1. Versa mark image, cover with UTEE, heat with gun from underneath.
2. Versa mark image again, cover with UTEE, heat with gun from underneath.
3. Stick it in the freezer for a while.
4. Take it out and crack away.

I have been really happy with the results since I started only using two layers.

HTH. :)

Tracy-Stamper 05-23-2006 06:20 PM

gosh, I haven't tried this technique yet, but I'm a little intimidated now, LOL :)