Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-26-2007, 11:23 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Smile Went to Mike's at lunch to check out Martha,

Here's my review, OK really just my opinion.

There was nothing that I felt I should buy. Her stuff was basically the same style as Anna Griffin. Pretty but not my taste. I felt her line of items was on the expensive side. There is an 18x18 scrapbook album. The thing was very large and it cost $80. I spoke with the girls that were still setting the last section up and they said that you definately CANNOT use any coupons on Martha's stuff. I probably would consider one or two items but only if I could use a coupon on them. In addition, alot of the stuff was general paper crafting items, not just scrapping and stamping stuff. Lots of sizes of gift bags.

Also, I was telling them about the "White glove" thing someone mentioned and they thought that was pretty hysterical.

It was kind of nice seeing something new at Mike's though.

Just posting this for informational purposes only.

"Time and trouble may tame a wild, young woman. But a wild, OLD woman is uncontrollable by any force". - Unknown
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-26-2007, 11:30 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Thanks for the info, I went yesterday to my Mikes and nothing was set up yet. I guess I will have to check in again.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:36 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I was in my Mikes yesterday, and although they hadn't put out any Martha yet, they did have A LOT of new items that I did like. A whole Anna Griffin section, and new KI Memories goodies. Small packaged cards with matching envies... more Cuttlebug and Cricut accessories.. I was impressed!

Please take a stroll through my gallery!
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=76367
Old 04-26-2007, 06:14 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

I heard elsewhere, that the first couple of recalls have already been issued. That sure speaks volumes to me.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:44 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I saw the Martha collection as well. Pretty, but not anything I want. I also noticed that her line is backed by EK Success.

Michelle P.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:25 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Recalls. recalls? recalls on what? Martha's not safe for us. huh. funny.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:44 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I also checked out MS line at my Michaels tonight - not too impressed nothing new and unusual from what I seen- not to mention expensive - the few stamps that were there are unimpressive - the punches seemed each to use but nothing stunning or unusual (remember she didn't invent these items she is just putting her name on them) I think the stuff will stay longer on the shelves because she is not allowing coupons! - But the employees are allowed to use their discount???? What's with that??? Anyways I asked one of the sales girls about the white gloves - she giggled and said she wasn't sure if the had to use them to stock the shelves - she ran to ask her manager because she was so curious and thought it was hysterical - the scoop was that the gloves were to be used to put up the signage and wallpaper - MS didn't want any scratches on it - what I found funny is that her face is right above the space for the open stock Markers??? The employees are taking bets on long it will take for someone to draw a mustache on her! LOL Although there is a roll of paper there to try them on you know someone is going to just have to do it!!! I was tempted to buy a sheet of paper that is really pretty but $2.00 - sorry too steep for me - even the clerk said there must be a 29 cent sheet just as pretty - guess the workers are not to impressed either...............would love to see the week sales for her mdse - to see if people are really going to buy?
JMHO not flame throwing!
Old 04-27-2007, 05:09 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

I'm not that impressed with her stuff either (and won't be buying any of it) , but it is nice that Michaels is getting some NEW stuff in for a change Maybe they'll bring in some other new stuff as well?

Old 04-27-2007, 05:50 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well I guess I'm in the minority here, cause I loved the MS stuff. I went to Mike's after work yesterday to take a peek, and I was impressed. I liked it all. (Okay, I know I am compulsive). There were several flower embellishments and ribbons that I thought were very pretty for $3.99. I think I will have to get them.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:20 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

I'll admit it: I love MS and AG styles--they seem very timeless/classic to me?

I'm hoping I get a chance today to pop into Michael's--the last one I got to visit down in Oregon had all the pretty new K & Co. stuff . . . Gorgeous and new!
Old 04-27-2007, 07:25 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

I stopped into my Mike's at lunchtime today and left with a bag full of Martha stuff. lol I pretty much loved everything I saw! I bought a package of the bookcloth (great deal with 8 12x12 sheets for $5CDN), some glitter (cause a girl has got to have glitter), bunches of ribbon, and some ribbon photo corners in a beautiful chocolate brown. The colours are just what I was expecting from her, and the packaging is beautiful. I can tell I'll be spending a few bucks in that section. There were a couple of punches I was interested in as well but thought I'd hold off for now.

I also noticed in the next aisle that my store is now carrying some of the Bare Essentials products. Nice to see a lot of new stuff in there!
Old 04-27-2007, 07:47 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

I went to Michael's today and they had the Martha Stewart stuff out. Much of it was very pretty. I have to say I am probably one of the few who like Martha Stewart stuff. Although it was all very pretty don't think I will get too much of the line. I did like the punches though and did buy one of those but would of liked it even better if we were able to use a coupon.
I did see those ginormous scrapbooks oh my word where would you even store something like that!!
Old 04-27-2007, 08:05 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susannk
I went to Michael's today and they had the Martha Stewart stuff out. Much of it was very pretty. I have to say I am probably one of the few who like Martha Stewart stuff. Although it was all very pretty don't think I will get too much of the line. I did like the punches though and did buy one of those but would of liked it even better if we were able to use a coupon.
I did see those ginormous scrapbooks oh my word where would you even store something like that!!
I tried 12 x 12 about 7-8 years ago and just found it sooooo big--just too big for me. Then, I tried 8 1/2 x 11" and still too big . . . then I tried 2 1/2 x 2 1/2" and that was juuuuuuuust right!

ROTFL!

Anyway, I can't begin to imagine how to tackle an 18 x 18"; I guess at that point, I'd rather scrapbook onto a canvas and hang it on the wall? But, then, I don't scrap and avoid scrapbooking like the plague, usually . . .
Old 04-27-2007, 08:44 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Default 18 x 18 SB Pages?

Holy schnikes! is there really an 18 x 18 scrapbook? I'd never have my craft table cleared off enough to work on one of those pages! Let alone the blank canvas shot I'd get from looking at somethin' that BIG!

Thats one band wagon I won't be riding. I can't wait to see the other stuff though.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:45 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
I tried 12 x 12 about 7-8 years ago and just found it sooooo big--just too big for me. Then, I tried 8 1/2 x 11" and still too big . . . then I tried 2 1/2 x 2 1/2" and that was juuuuuuuust right!

ROTFL!

Anyway, I can't begin to imagine how to tackle an 18 x 18"; I guess at that point, I'd rather scrapbook onto a canvas and hang it on the wall? But, then, I don't scrap and avoid scrapbooking like the plague, usually . . .
I know even any embellishement you tried to put on would get lost on the page. Maybe those really big Heidi Swapp flowers would work.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:42 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susannk
I know even any embellishement you tried to put on would get lost on the page. Maybe those really big Heidi Swapp flowers would work.
I think giant scrapbooks are really useful for very limited applications: family tree/genealogical books; preserving large portrait photos (esp. if they are being damaged by acidic framing); preserving large memorabilia like newspapers or diplomas and such; displaying children's art.

For general use, you're absolutely right--how would you use "traditional" scrapping ideas and products on so much real estate? At $80 a pop, I'm not willing to experiment, LOL!
Old 04-27-2007, 10:20 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Going to Mike's in a few minutes and am smuggling in the camera to take pics to share with ya'll if I can!
Old 04-27-2007, 10:21 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Default Mini-jack

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleStamper
Holy schnikes! is there really an 18 x 18 scrapbook? I'd never have my craft table cleared off enough to work on one of those pages! Let alone the blank canvas shot I'd get from looking at somethin' that BIG!

Thats one band wagon I won't be riding. I can't wait to see the other stuff though.
ROTFL! I love that expression! I haven't heard it used in ages!!! *chuckle* You gave me a grin today!
Old 04-27-2007, 10:22 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossom
I think giant scrapbooks are really useful for very limited applications: family tree/genealogical books; preserving large portrait photos (esp. if they are being damaged by acidic framing); preserving large memorabilia like newspapers or diplomas and such; displaying children's art.

For general use, you're absolutely right--how would you use "traditional" scrapping ideas and products on so much real estate? At $80 a pop, I'm not willing to experiment, LOL!
Ouch!
Old 04-27-2007, 10:29 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

I loved a lot of it...snuck over there today to see. The ribbon was beautiful, I did buy some light blue with brown edges, and some blush blossom colored. I almost bought the little scalloped punch but didn't...Some of it was fabulous!
Old 04-27-2007, 10:37 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

I will have to staop by Michaels on the way to crop tonight and see if her stuff is there. I am glad to hear they are carrying a new product line but I'm sure there are lots of other new product line I would rather them carry.

One thought on the 18x18 album....I assume you would have to buy all of your paper in the Martha brand so it would fit....
Old 04-27-2007, 10:38 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Ladies, I'm so bummed, the M's in Sacramento don't have any of the MS stuff out yet! I can't wait to see it! I was joking with one of my girlfriends yestereday that the 18X18 book would be good for whacking the DH with, but we didn't know where we would store it... : ) Can't wait to see the photos!
Old 04-27-2007, 10:39 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR

ROTFL!

Snort! That's too, too funny, but it echoes my thoughts exactly! And where in the stinkin' heck would you store those suckers??? Not to mention the love 18" x 18" paper to go in 'em?
Wickedly Wonderful Creations
I'm a FREAK!! Check out the latest Control Freaks Blog Tour
2012-13 Stampin' Up Artisan Design Team
Old 04-27-2007, 10:40 AM   #24  

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisneyDoll
Going to Mike's in a few minutes and am smuggling in the camera to take pics to share with ya'll if I can!
You go, girl!
Old 04-27-2007, 02:12 PM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

Martha has arrived in Ottawa. I popped into Michael's this week to check it out. Pretty stuff but nothing really WOWed me, nice colours though. I found most of the products on the pricey side.

I did buy a rubber stamp set (2 birds) and I USED A 40% OFF COUPON!!!! Would not have purchased it if I could not have used the coupon.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:58 PM   #26  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I hit the michaels close to me last night...picked up some of ms line papers and flowers and a friend and I bought the set of birds she has and split them (there were two similar birds in the set) I have a card in my gallery with the bird and some of her dp if you want to see what it looks like.
I liked the colors...but I like almost everything
Definitely worth checking out, imo!
Old 04-27-2007, 06:34 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

I had a chance to check out the new line today and liked a lot of what I saw. I did buy a cute 1" scallop circle punch and saw a few other things that I'm sure I'll end up with. Loved the packaging -- everything that hangs has these cute little wire hangers -- makes me want to do something with 'em.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:56 PM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankie
I had a chance to check out the new line today and liked a lot of what I saw. I did buy a cute 1" scallop circle punch and saw a few other things that I'm sure I'll end up with.
I got this scalloped circle punch tonight too. I think it will be the perfect size for the sentiments in the faux ribbon set from Paper Trey.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:33 PM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

I stopped on my way home tonight and they had the Martha stuff out. I like it! Some of the stuff was a little pricey but some of it was comparable to other manufacturers. The store was getting ready to close so I didn't get to look too closely.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:54 PM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

The 18x18 is for 24" scrapbooks!!!!
Old 04-27-2007, 08:11 PM   #31  
Kookie Creator

Saw the MS stuff in M's today and must say I loved a lot of it but don't have a budget (or storage space!!) that stretches that far. I think the quality and the pricing is pretty comparable to other well known companies.
Just think you could buy 1 sheet of 18"x18"paper and get 1 12x12 and 2 6x6 sheets out of it or 4 8x8's or 9 6x6's. At 1.99, it may not be that expensive after all. Just thought of it - is there a cutter out there that could handle 18x18?!!!
Old 04-27-2007, 08:43 PM   #32  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

I had a chance to check out the new line today and liked a lot of what I saw. I did buy a cute 1" scallop circle punch and saw a few other things that I'm sure I'll end up with. Loved the packaging -- everything that hangs has these cute little wire hangers -- makes me want to do something with 'em.
I bought the same punch and I LOVE it! It works perfectly to punch out Circle of Friendship. Also discovered that the punch has a nice deep throat and is able to reach into a 2 1/2" scalloped circle and punch out the center so it looks like a neat die cut flower !!! I also like the design of the lever on the punch - it arches up a bit more than SU and is easier for me to use when it is upside down. I'll be curious to know what you think after you've had a chance to try it out!
Old 04-27-2007, 09:03 PM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

I was in our Mike's today in Regina, Saskatchewan Canada. I was not impressed at all. The 18x18 album is huge and unrealistic. The ribbon was 3yds for $8.50 Cdn. OMG, and no coupon. The punches were OK but just about $17.00. One thing another scrapbooker pointed out was the
8 1/2 x 11 album was horizontial not vertical if you know what I mean. the
11" part was horitzontial which is opposite from most albums. I found that was a neat idea, I think they would be better with the pictures on left and journalling on the right. Overall, Martha didn't turn me on at all.
Kathy
Old 04-27-2007, 09:12 PM   #34  
Crimping Master

I also had a question about Miss Martha's paper. It is in a shelf thing and bigger than a normal piece of scrapbook paper. How are they going to put that in a bag when you check out, and how are you supposed to put it in your cart when you are shopping, it will get all wrinkled?
Old 04-27-2007, 09:19 PM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

I was at my Michael's In Calgary, AB, Canada tonight and saw aome of the Martha line. The embellishments were very cute, I particularly liked some ribbon bows & rosettes that were self-adhesive. The punches weren't out yet which is what I really wanted to look at. I was impressed by the big rolls of colored vellum paper. I could be wrong, but they were the length of a wrapping paper roll (24 - 32") and had either 4 or 8 sheets in it. they were in all kinds of pretty colours including one that looked like cool caribbean.

Have to go back on Sunday to see the rest.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:48 AM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by K. Benko
I was in our Mike's today in Regina, Saskatchewan Canada. I was not impressed at all. The 18x18 album is huge and unrealistic. The ribbon was 3yds for $8.50 Cdn. OMG, and no coupon. The punches were OK but just about $17.00. One thing another scrapbooker pointed out was the
8 1/2 x 11 album was horizontial not vertical if you know what I mean. the
11" part was horitzontial which is opposite from most albums. I found that was a neat idea, I think they would be better with the pictures on left and journalling on the right.
Overall, Martha didn't turn me on at all.
Kathy
Those landscape albums have been popular for a while now -- several different companies carry them so this isn't something new and exclusively *Martha.* Personally, when I do scrap 8 1/2 x 11 (which isn't very often) I prefer to do my layouts landscape and use that type of album -- seems like everything just *fits* better.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:50 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boss
I bought the same punch and I LOVE it! It works perfectly to punch out Circle of Friendship. Also discovered that the punch has a nice deep throat and is able to reach into a 2 1/2" scalloped circle and punch out the center so it looks like a neat die cut flower !!! I also like the design of the lever on the punch - it arches up a bit more than SU and is easier for me to use when it is upside down. I'll be curious to know what you think after you've had a chance to try it out!
I LOVE this punch!! It punches SU cardstock SO easy. I noticed on the package that it says *For paper, cardstock, felt, thin metals and more.* Now I need to see if I have any felt and try it out -- could be fun!
Old 04-28-2007, 06:16 AM   #38  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

I LOVE this punch!! It punches SU cardstock SO easy. I noticed on the package that it says *For paper, cardstock, felt, thin metals and more.* Now I need to see if I have any felt and try it out -- could be fun!
Thanks for sharing that info - I never even thought to read the instructions on the package! I did admire the lovely wire thingy they designed to hang the box....very classy and it will hold up well on the display space (sometimes those cardboard boxes rip out at the hanger area and then end up on a shelf somewhere.)
Old 04-28-2007, 10:42 AM   #39  

Quote:

You enabler, you! 'Cause of this I had to go and check it out. That little scalloped circle is very cute! I bought the last two they had (one for me, one for a friend). It is an ingeniuos design . . .
Old 04-28-2007, 11:07 AM   #40  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

I liked it!!! I liked the MS stuff!!! I wanted gobs of it (well', cept for those mondo 18x18" scrapbooks--even if I could afford 'em, I'd never use 'em), but had to restrain myself!

So, the MS line is exclusive only to Michael's, huh? If that is true, then on the one hand that's a bummer for independent retailers and for their instructors, but, on the flip side, at least it will give Michael's customers something new to look at . . . for a while . . . anyway . . .

I am KICKING myself that I didn't get the pointy circle stamp (not the scallop one) now . . . I got the cornflower one and can't wait to play with it.

As for ribbon, well, some of it was on the spendy side, but, some was very reasonably priced--12 yds. of 3/8" nylon piped edge ribbon in lovely shades for $2.99 US. I thought that was very reasonable for such nice ribbon. She also has her infamous silk seam binding ribbon, which I absolutely ADORE, even tho I didn't get any, cuz I have gobs of that at home I still need to use up!

OK, so I got a little giddy . . . but, I really did like most of it!