Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-29-2006, 08:45 AM   #41  
Pearl-ExPert

I run my clubs with a $40 min. purchase - but I have 6 members in each club and we meet every other month (this is Canadian funds too). I like these numbers. It guarantees the hostess at qualifying party. But, most members spend more than $40 - maybe an average of $60. Plus, with only 6 members, there's room for each hostess to invite others to her party. I've never had a hostess club party add up to less than $500 - most are around $750. The hostess club members do not feel stretched, but they all get a lot of benefits.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:07 AM   #42  
Compulsive Stamper

Hmm - ok. I just really feel the need to say something here. While I think that she shouldn't assume that it's easy for you to meet a minimum of $50 a month because you have a job, I think it's totally unfair that you all but accuse her of beaing lazy for working.

You said Yes, I do have a job, but you can get a job too! Don't use that lame *** excuse and don't put *your* money issues back on me because you choose not to work!

You're assuming that she chooses not to work - do you know her family situation? She may not have a choice. Maybe she has no one to watch her children if she just goes out and gets a job. Maybe she couldn't afford the childcare even if she HAD a job. Perhaps her spouse works shifts, making it more difficult for her to find a part time job because she cant count on him to work a set schedule and therefore can't commit to an employer that she will be available for set shifts. It's not always as simple as choosing not to work.

As I'm sure you can tell by my ire, I am a SAHM, partly by choice and partly by necessity. Yeah it sucks not being able to spend as much as I want whenever I want, but honestly even if I WAS working I STILL couldn't commit to $50 a month as my family's needs come before my stamping habit.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-29-2006, 09:50 AM   #43  
Compulsive Stamper

Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shelley Davis
Do you realize that .....that is a huge amount of money! That is $5,100 a year?
Hmmm, check your math here... 12 months x $40 =$480 plus shipping/tax. Still a considerable expenditure, but no way it's over five thousand dollars per person! Maybe you meant the total club order for all ten members?
--Liz
Old 07-29-2006, 10:11 AM   #44  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default OMG

Had fun reading all the posts to this thread!!! I agree with most and disagree with only a few.. I was a SAHM for 8 years and loved it. I left a HIGH paying job to stay home and had to gve upa few things but it was well worth it. My kids are my life. My husband made great $$$ and so it wasn't soo bad but I think $40 a month might be kind of steep for some, you just don't know what unexpected expenses might come up that month. I always spent the minimum until it was my Hostess Monthn then I placed a big order to bump me to a Level 3 and got outside orders too. Are minimums were $25 dollars which most people spent more anyways.
How many people in the club??? Maybe you could do it every other month if there's 6 of you??? JMO
I feel the comment was unnessecary and or should of been done in private. I agrre w/ stampintoothfairy: Make her the LAST hostess so if she bails out it won't be after she gets her beenies. LOL..
Also, don't take it personnally maybe she doesn't realize she struck a nerve with you. I would also talk to her about this issue so it doesn't happen again.JMHO.
Good luck in what ever happens!!!
Old 07-29-2006, 10:39 AM   #45  
Die Cut Diva

We had a situation like that in our club last year, only the person happened to be first on the hostess list & bailed out right after.

Our commitment is $15 per month, which most people could probably handle without any problems. However, we all spend considerably more, but it is nice to know that we can fall back on the $15 minimum if there are bad times. I think $40 is too much to be commited to each month.

As for the comments made, she should never have said what she said, and I can understand your frustration. However, perhaps she had a very bad day and just spouted off. I do agree with the others, though, to place her as the hostess the last month.

Good luck with your club.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2006, 10:48 AM   #46  
Mad Swapper

No flames from me! Sorry she was so rude.

Everyone makes the choices for their lives that lead to the drawbacks and benifits that they are currently have. Shame on her for complaining that, in her mind, your lifestyle has a benefit that hers does not. We all have the lives we want given our individual priorities. If she wanted that particular benefit in her life, she could have it, but she'd have it at a price she doesn't want to pay. That's not good or bad, it's her choice given what she wants out of life. Given that, the only reasonable response to the hostess club would have been, "I don't think this will fit within my budget, so I'll have to pass. Let me know if you start a club aimed at the $150 hostess benefits (or ... if you want to just hang out and stamp)."

There are things I can't afford to do and things I don't have time to do, because of my choices. I would imagine complaining that someone else either has more money or more time. I could have more of either if I chose. I'm just not willing to sacrifice what I would need to sacrifice to get more. That makes it very easy to be happy for friends who have more than I do (of whatever). They have what they most want, just as I have what I most want. What is there to complain about?

Anyway, whatever her problem is, don't make it yours. Her remarks only reflect on her, not on you.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:12 AM   #47  
Mad Swapper

I have 3 groups going, most of the women spend more than $40 a month, the min. order is $25-30 depending on the group.
It's nice that this person acknowledges the fact that what you do is a JOB! Most people, my relatives usually, don't see what I do as a 'real' job. They think I sit on my butt all day stamping. But in June, with my GR cheque, promotion bonus, Instant Income and Volume Rebate, I made more money doing SU than I did when I worked at a 'real' job. I don't have to pay for daycare, and with my 3 groups meeting at my house, I don't have to drive all over town.
One of my groups doesn't understand commitment. The group is falling apart and I'm not sure why. They are from the same school and know each other. One dropped after 2 months, another tried but she had just gotten all her free stuff and another woman told her she couldn't, and I told her that too. I make them sign a contract outlining what I expect of them and what the can expect from me. 4 months in to it the hostess for that month decides she doesn't need anything so didn't put an order in and I told her she doesn't get the free stuff either. So I think it's safe to say she's gone too. Some people just don't get it.

Why not recruit this woman so she can earn money to buy her stamps?

Kelli
Old 07-29-2006, 11:26 AM   #48  
Embossing Fanatic

I have a job as well, but 75% of my money goes to day care. It's not an "if you have a job" issue. I personally think $40 is WAY too high and I would never join it if I have to pay that much per month. Find richer guests!
Old 07-29-2006, 11:53 AM   #49  
Matboard Maniac

I am a little confused. Are you a demo or not? I am assuming you are not since you are not posting this in the demo forum. If you are the demo, maybe this lady resents the fact that your making a commission based on her high minimum purchase. Just a thought ...

The minimum $ is really not the issue here since everyone knew ahead of time. It's not a government funded club, it does not have to be accessible to everyone. I would love to belong to a health club but I can not afford the membership so I do not join, I don't demand that they lower the dues.

The real issue is the lack of respect for people's life choices and living with the results of our own. She should not have said that to you, especially in front of others. Maybe, as others have said, it was out of frustration. Maybe it was also frustration that made you lash out about her not having a job. I am unclear on the relationship you have with this woman. If she is a friend then maybe you should talk to her about her comment.

Another idea on the minimum if you did want everyone to be included. Set the minimum to a lower amount and those that can afford the $40+ can save the extra $$ for when it is their month to boost their hostess total. Ex: min. $20/mo; save $20 month; add the $200 saved to the $200 min. order total = $400 order. Just another thought ...
An - SCS member #44271
"I'm a mystery wrapped in a riddle, covered with chocolate sprinkles." - Cookie Monster
my tiny gallery
Old 07-29-2006, 12:34 PM   #50  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutiepatutie
I think SAHM have the toughest job there is. They are the most underappreciated workers in the US and it's pathetic.
We are responsible for raising future presidents, humanitarians, etc. and we get little to no respect (I'm on my soapbox, but I'm off now).
AMEN! We've been a one-income household for a few months now, and there are people in our lives who seem obsessed with mentioning in every conversation, how much they pay for this, that, or the other. Really, I'm glad you're doing all this big stuff and going on vacations, and I love and fully accept that we've signed up to live a more modest lifestyle (BELIEVE me, I'd rather have time with my baby than stamps or other unnecessary stuff), but enough is enough. It gets to a point of flaunting and showing off and it disgusts me. I'm alienated from conversations, because all I can add is, "I just spent $35 on diapers...but have fun in Maui." I keep quiet, but it's hard not to get up and leave after the thirtieth, "we just got ___ and we paid ___" Get over it...if you want me to know how much money you have, bust out your bankbook and let's move on!

Sorry...rant over
Old 07-29-2006, 12:46 PM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've been a customer in 2 clubs. One had a $25.00 min. with 6 people. One had a $15.00 min. with 10 people. Some people stayed at the minimum, most did not. I always reached at least $500.00 when it was my month to hostess. Having a low minimum gives you a fall back month when things are tight. One club didn't meet in Dec because of that. One club offered a discount to her customers that month to increase sales for the hostess.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:51 PM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jocelyn1224
AMEN! We've been a one-income household for a few months now, and there are people in our lives who seem obsessed with mentioning in every conversation, how much they pay for this, that, or the other. Really, I'm glad you're doing all this big stuff and going on vacations, and I love and fully accept that we've signed up to live a more modest lifestyle (BELIEVE me, I'd rather have time with my baby than stamps or other unnecessary stuff), but enough is enough. It gets to a point of flaunting and showing off and it disgusts me. I'm alienated from conversations, because all I can add is, "I just spent $35 on diapers...but have fun in Maui." I keep quiet, but it's hard not to get up and leave after the thirtieth, "we just got ___ and we paid ___" Get over it...if you want me to know how much money you have, bust out your bankbook and let's move on!

Sorry...rant over
LOL...I totally know what you mean!
Old 07-29-2006, 01:17 PM   #53  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassyat30
LOL...I totally know what you mean!
Glad I'm not alone (but sorry that you can relate, if you know what i mean ) Would you believe we had friends who got angry with us when we wouldn't tell them how much we paid for our house? Where I come from, you just don't discuss that kind of stuff. My MIL suggested that every time someone asks us what we paid, we say to them, "now why would you ask a question like that?"
Old 07-29-2006, 02:09 PM   #54  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shelley Davis
Do you realize that .....that is a huge amount of money! That is $5,100 a year? Sorry I think that is way to much of a committment! I don't care who you are. We have a $25 committment, and most of us spend more than that. Even if you have a job I couldn't find $50 a month times 12 worth of things I have to have in the catalog. I think that just because you can afford this doesn't mean that every one can. Why don't you open the group so that the hostess can invite up to 4 friends to her show. Then those who want a big hostess benefit can achieve that if that is the whole purpose of your group. I am with Sassybee on her thoughts. If it is a club.....every member and their needs should be considered!
You have been torched!
Shelley

I'm not sure where you are getting the $5100.00 a year figure. If you spend $40 a month, that's $480. If you spend $50 a month, that's $600. That's a lot of money if you don't have it, but thank goodness it's not $5100.
I haven't finished reading the second page of posts, but I would agree that the lady probably needs to find one of the groups I keep reading about that spends $10 a month. If she enjoys the company of the $40 girls, maybe she should just pay $5 to come stamp, and not order anything.

On another note:

I have been on both sides of the fence myself. I worked for years before I had children. Out of necessity, I continued to work after the first was born. I still could have been raising a future president, but a daycare MOm helped me do that. When the second was born, I took a two year leave of absence. I gave up a lot. Most of the gifts for our families were handmade (counted cross stitch towels, etc.). I made pizza every Friday, instead of ordering it. I accepted hand me downs from family and neighbors. I wasn't stamping back then, but I certainly couldn't have afforded it.
I went back to work and daycare so that I could join my husband teaching other people's kids (we both teach math) and so that I could afford a few pleasures in life. Now that my first is in college, I have given up buying clothes, shoes, etc. for myself. I can afford stamps because I have given up other things, but I would never criticize anyone for spending more than I can afford. It is my choice to try to pay tuition so that he doesn't start life out thousands of dollars in debt. Everyone has to choose their own priorities, and those priorities may change as we go through life. There have been times when my sister calls and asks me to go to a show. If it isn't in the budget, I just tell her it's too expensive for me right now. She understands, and asks someone else. I don't make nasty comments to her just because her daughter is off on her own, and she can afford the show. (I am a little jealous that her mortgage payment is around $200, while ours is $900.)

I've definitely written too much. Sorry.