Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-13-2008, 09:34 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Card Measurements

I feel very foolish since I have been stamping for a couple of years now but I always seem to have difficulty with cutting my cardstock to the right sizes. The card size I usually use is 5 1/2 x 4 1/4 but that always seems too small when I want to use multiple layers and I know I can cut more efficiently to get the most out of my paper but I always seem to have too much excess. I also have trouble figuring out measuring the correct size for my layers. Does anyone have any tricks or templates or ideas that could help me? I actually avoid getting started because I dread the measuring part of cardmaking! Please Help!!!!!!! This is my first post and I just want to say how impressed I am with the work and the friendliness on this site. You guys are awesome. Thank you for your help and ideas!

Carrie
Glittergirl59
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 09:36 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

subscribing in hopes that someone posts a list!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 10:23 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

I'll cut the matte a 1/4 in larger than the item that I want it to frame.
I basically work from the focal point and work outwards. If needed, I can make a 5x5 or 5x7 card

Or the reverse would be to make each layer 1/4 in less than the base. For example, one full layer on top of a A2 base would measure 4 x 5 1/4
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 02:36 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

most all mine are 5 1/2 X 4 1/4 (standard A2)

so i can use the invitation envelopes.

usually my layers are 1/8" larger on all sides.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 06:11 PM   #5  
Linking Queen

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

No tips that haven't been mentioned but did want to share a sorta related tip I read a long time ago:

The size of your card should be based upon the size of your envelope (unless you plan to make your own ... but even then you need to make sure you can create one big enough to hold the card.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 06:27 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Great thread. I'm new to card making and I'm also struggling with card sizes. I'm excited to see the different responses.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 06:51 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I usually don't have the end-size in mind when I start. I start with my image, add my layers (I almost always do my layers in 1/4-inch increments), my ribbon, etc. and then create my base. Something that I may have pictured being 4x6 in the beginning may end up 6x 8 1/2 in the end...it just depends where my creativity takes me.
One thing that I do find helpful though, is to sketch out a rough layout on a post-it note. I pick my main image, measure it, then decide how many layers I want & where they will be. (Writing down my sizes rather than trying to remember sounds simple but it saves me from wasting a lot of cardstock.)
For example, my image is 2x3...I want 2-3 more layers under my main image---I write down layer 1) will be 2 1/4 x 3 1/4, layer 2) will be 2 1/2 x 3 1/2, etc. Then I cut my layers, do a rough layout (clip it together with paperclips) and move things around if needed. If I want to make adjustments, I do it then---and again jot down my measurements. (Also, if I want to create multiples, I don't have to go by memory..)
Hope this helps in some small way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 10:51 PM   #8  
Glitter Queen

Default Card Measurements

Thank you all so much for your replies to my dilemma! They are all very helpful. The paper clipping idea sounds like it may be worth a try. This all came about as I was trying to case a card and I got the base layers together but when I tried to do the next layers, they were too big (1/4 inch wider than the stamp) and I couldn't fit the third layers to be placed next to it. I just got so frustrated with it. This has happened on numerous occasions so I thought there might be a something I was doing incorrectly. I'm terrible at measurements and fractions anyway so that doesn't help any. I always end up wasting so much paper! If anyone else has any ideas to make it easier so I don't waste so much paper, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again to everyone.

Carrie
Glittergirl59
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2008, 12:26 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I find the Perfect Layers tool helps getting the layers even without having to measure them. SU just retired it (what were they thinking?) but you can still get it from QVC.
http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail

Sometimes I just eyeball layers on the trimmer, though. I often make cards larger than the standard if I want lots of layers or a bigger focal. If you want to cut the actual cards without having to measure you could try the Card Kreator templates. There's a demo here, just click on the Card Kreator video:
http://www.greensneakers.com/demogallery.asp

The clear ones might be handy but I'm not one to trace and cut out, I prefer to cut on a trimmer but if you're good with a craft knife this might be an option. I think QVC carries a kit with the see-thru envelope and card templates. Yep, here you go: http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/a...272.tpl.detail

But for gate cards and ones I have to measure, I just make a spare and use it as a template next time and slap it on the trimmer to see where the cut lines are.

HTH
April
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2008, 03:16 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I always start with the card base. Then i wrk ont he image layer and figure out the matte from there always making sure it is going to fit on the card base. I usually eyeball my matte against the base.. I just make a little lark with the bone folder so I know I know where to cut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2008, 05:07 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

I usually use 12x12 paper so I make two 4x6 cards with a bit of paper left over for later. I make them this size because I often include a photo eg. at Christmas time, and standard photos are too big for the 4.5 x 5.5 size. I also do the 1/4 inch mattes and if it doesn't fit on your card, trim it cover the measurement "oops" with a ribbon or other embellishment and nobody will ever know that it wasn't supposed to look like that!
Keep up with it eventually you'll eyeball things and not care too much on how it was "supposed" to look
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2008, 05:26 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by TamburasiView Post
I usually use 12x12 paper so I make two 4x6 cards with a bit of paper left over for later. I make them this size because I often include a photo eg. at Christmas time, and standard photos are too big for the 4.5 x 5.5 size. I also do the 1/4 inch mattes and if it doesn't fit on your card, trim it cover the measurement "oops" with a ribbon or other embellishment and nobody will ever know that it wasn't supposed to look like that!
Keep up with it eventually you'll eyeball things and not care too much on how it was "supposed" to look

do you make your own envelopes?

if not... where do you find 4 x 6?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2008, 06:19 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Subscribing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2008, 11:30 AM   #14  
Glitter Queen

Smile Card Measurements

Wow April! I went to the sites you posted. They were great! Especially the Card Templates. That's exactly was I was looking for! I wouldn't cut out the whole thing with scissors or knife though. I would make small marks on the sides of the paper and then just line up the lines on my cutter. Awesome! Thanks so much!

Thanks again everyone! Any other ideas out there?

Carrie
Glittergirl59
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2008, 06:05 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Momis mama: My LSS has envelopes of all sizes including ones that fit 4x6 cards, lucky for me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2008, 06:20 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by TamburasiView Post
Momis mama: My LSS has envelopes of all sizes including ones that fit 4x6 cards, lucky for me

yes... lucky you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2008, 06:28 AM   #17  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I hope this isn't telling you something you already know but since you said you were a newbie...

To cut a regular card that fits in what they call and A2 envelope (the ones that Stampin' Up sells as "medium"):

You take the standard 8 1/2" x 11" piece of cardstock and cut it in half on the 11" side, so you cut it at 5 1/2". Use a paper cutter like the fiscars or using a straightedge and a knife... or just mark it with a ruler and pencil first. (I highly recommend the fiscars paper cutter). This will give you two equal pieces (8 1/2 x 5/ 1/2).

Then those two pieces get folded in half exactly on the 8 1/2 side...(4 1/4 x 5 1/2) and can be turned either way, with the fold at the top or on the right. That will give you two standard card bases and results in no waste.

If you want to add a layer that fits just inside that, just cut it the way I described, cut those two halves in half again and you can trim off 1/2" from two sides to get a 1/4" border when you put it on top of your base card, or you can trim off 1" to get a half inch border. Any pieces I add after that can be any size, as long as I remember that I take my "top" piece (usually an image stamped on white or vanilla) and 1/2" bigger than my top piece makes a perfect 1/4" border around it when I put it together!

This card shows the 1/4" border (the white is cut 1/2" smaller than the pomegranate):
Many of a Kind by lbirus at Splitcoaststampers

I sure hope that's what you were wondering about!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2008, 09:40 AM   #18  
Glitter Queen

Lynn, thank you so so much! That's the exact info I was looking for! That's why I felt so foolish asking because I know it's so basic. My next question is about layers. What if you want to fit odd or multiple layers onto that card? This is the card I was trying to case so you can see what I mean:
gallery/photo/745942?si=birthday%20card
I measured the stamp for the left layer and it is almost 4" all by itself and I barely had any room on the top or bottom and I couldn't fit the stamped image on the right side of the card. Do you think Diane used a larger card base? I do use the Fiskars paper cutter for cutting. (Beautiful card by the way, Diane!) Thanks again for your help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2008, 09:48 AM   #19  
Glitter Queen

Oh by the way, Lynn, I love the card example you listed! Very pretty...I love your work!

Carrie
Reply With Quote Likes