Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-12-2006, 06:36 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Way to make a book of all your stamp sets...

Hi

We are trying to think of a way to make a book of all the stamps sets we have. My friend and I did just a half page (4.25 x 5.5) of all the sets we have had and just stamped each set in black, then alphabetized them by name. Well looking at these index cards you guys are doing made us wonder about another way we could do it that included techniques (embossing, etc) that would still showcase each stamp set but be more fun. Has anyone else done a book of all their stamp sets? and if so how did you go about doing that? Pictures would be great
Thanks alot
Shannon
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-12-2006, 06:47 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Because I buy, sell, and trade a lot, I needed a book that could change easily. I went to Walmart and bought baseball card pages and a huge notebook. I cut up lots of white cardstock into baseball card sizes. I put dividers in the notebook of my categories. I stamp stamps onto the cards (almost all fit or at least the main image does) and slide into right category. Then when I sell or trade, I just slip that card out and so my book is always current.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:49 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Re:

That's cool... good idea...
Old 07-12-2006, 06:52 AM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

Great Idea Annabelle, I never thought about stamping each one on it's own piece of paper.

I met a woman at my LSS and she had 4000 unmounted stamps. She came to my SU party and had a small binder and each page had a stamp on it, manufacturer and item number. I was in shock, but now that I have more than a couple of hundred stamps, it makes sense and being able to remove them makes much more sense.

thanks for the hint. I better get to work
Old 07-12-2006, 06:56 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Re

So you did the individual stamps not the stamp sets...??
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2006, 07:03 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Yes, individual stamps or a grouping of stamps (all the leaves from one flower set might have fit on one card). I do put them right together in the notebook so it is clear they are a set. You could put info on the back of each card if you wanted to.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:22 AM   #7  
Glitter Queen

Default re:

I would like to do something similar - but I would like to do up a fun, full color sample of each set that I have - maybe watercolor them, or emboss them, whatever - just to play with them and do different techniques to highlight them. But I don't know what to do with them? Put them on index cards or make some kind of a book or what? Any ideas?
Old 07-12-2006, 07:34 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

I just did a notebook with page protecters. I stamped each set on copy paper and put in facing front. I made some copies of my favorite cards using that set from this site (4 cards to a page) and put in the same page protector facing back. Now When I get a new set I just copy the sheet that comes in the set before cutting it apart and use that for the front of the page protector. My sets are in alphabetical order. I have a seperate section for alphabets and a section for backgrounds. This has worked great for me.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:47 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

I stamp my stamp 'inventory' on catalog cards and bind them with the Rollabind system. This way is very easy to rearrange if I feel the need to do so, and a lot less time-consuming to add or remove pages. I use unlined 4x6" index cards, which are very inexpensive, and record any information on the card that I want for my records. I've been doing it this way for years, and have found it works the best for me! I will attach a scan for those who aren't familiar with the Rollabind system. Please forgive the crookedness of the scan -- it moved when I closed the lid!

Happy trails....

Sue
Attached Thumbnails
Way to make a book of all your stamp sets...-catalog-binding-example.jpg  
Old 07-12-2006, 08:52 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

THank scpd!
Old 07-12-2006, 08:58 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Right now I have (most) of my sets stamped onto a regular size piece of paper with the name of the set, item # (if available) and whether or not it's retired. I have them all in a binder so I can add or subtract as necessary.

I have them sorted by box size and then alphabetically. I'm a little anal about some things. I can't stand to have a large box next to a medium next to a small next to an X-large *shudder* (yup, I've got issues) So they are all lined up neatly by size and within each size alphabetically. After I browse through my binder to figure out which set I want to use, I can easily find it amongst my sets.

Although - I think I like the idea of the index cards better... I may have a lot more stamping to do...
Old 07-12-2006, 09:53 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

yeah I dont think some sets would fit on one side of a index card
Old 07-12-2006, 10:03 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Oklahoma...State (OSU) We love 'em even when they lose, and we're never disappointed!

Just occurred to me--and thanks for the idea--I think I will print the index picture from SCS onto paper. I would only use it for myself anyway (no misusing anyone's work) to remember which sets have which sentiments and particulars. Since my inventory is doubling (or maybe more) within the next week or so, I will need to remember what is what.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:03 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use a 3 ring binder that is 8 1/2 X 11" filled with clear page protectors. I have slipped a piece of white paper into each sleeve. Then I cut image groups of the whole stamp set from old catalogs and minis and then mount those onto the paper inside the sleeve. That way I have a visual of the stamp sets that I have. Honestly, I'm too lazy to stamp all the images from my 250+ stamp sets that I own. This also helps you keep track of which stamps belong with which sets if they get mixed up.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:19 AM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

I have all mine stamped in a nice big sketchbook...and have colored some images too just to show what they look like finished...also put in the new SU color chart that someone posted on here last week which makes it nice and easy to see the colors the stamps can be done in!
Faerey Blog
Old 07-12-2006, 10:52 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessAmbrosia61
I use a 3 ring binder that is 8 1/2 X 11" filled with clear page protectors. I have slipped a piece of white paper into each sleeve. Then I cut image groups of the whole stamp set from old catalogs and minis and then mount those onto the paper inside the sleeve. That way I have a visual of the stamp sets that I have. Honestly, I'm too lazy to stamp all the images from my 250+ stamp sets that I own. This also helps you keep track of which stamps belong with which sets if they get mixed up.
I'm right there with you Dee....I'm lucky if I get time to stamp to actually create something, forget about indexing.... I really like your idea about using an old/extra catty to cut the images out. I think that's what I'm going to do..
Old 07-12-2006, 12:38 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a 3 ring binder with sheet protecters. I stamp the whole set on one page and have them in alphabetical order. Just for my own curiousity I use a different color every year. 2004/5 stamps were done in black (the start of my stamping habit) 2005/6 were done in Gable Green. I didn't buy from the new catty yet but this years will be Basic Brown.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson
Old 07-12-2006, 09:17 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

You're right, some don't. Fortunately, index cards have two sides! That's another reason the binding I use works so well -- I can just 'turn the page' and see the back of the card. When I started, I was putting the cards into 4x6" photo album sleeves -- so the back was useless, and I had to use 2 separate cards for bigger sets. Not to mention all the reshuffling that was needed when I wanted to add a new card. This way, I just plunk it where I need it!

Happy trails....

Sue

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shasync
yeah I dont think some sets would fit on one side of a index card
Old 07-12-2006, 09:27 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Kewl idea -- a color-coded, personal 'stamp history'. Fun!

Happy trails....

Sue

Quote:

Originally Posted by thuskins
Just for my own curiousity I use a different color every year. 2004/5 stamps were done in black (the start of my stamping habit) 2005/6 were done in Gable Green. I didn't buy from the new catty yet but this years will be Basic Brown.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:03 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

this is what i did for mine
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...00&ppuser=7804

Old 07-12-2006, 11:10 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Great ideas everybody. I'm gonna have to do this. I only have 22 sets right now, so it will be really easy. Then I can just add on as I build my collection.

By the way I LOVE your binder Dorinda! It looks awesome! =)
Old 07-12-2006, 11:37 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks, I always have to add to it and occasionally take away from it...

Old 07-13-2006, 03:24 AM   #23  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhondag
Just occurred to me--and thanks for the idea--I think I will print the index picture from SCS onto paper. I would only use it for myself anyway (no misusing anyone's work) to remember which sets have which sentiments and particulars. Since my inventory is doubling (or maybe more) within the next week or so, I will need to remember what is what.

What a great idea!
Old 07-13-2006, 07:00 AM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Wow such great ideas...THanks
Old 07-13-2006, 08:00 AM   #25  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Good prices on Rollabind???

I love this idea!!! Any suggestions on where to get the Rollabind at a good price. I'm sure the office supply store would have them, but thought they might be more expensive there too.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by scpd
I stamp my stamp 'inventory' on catalog cards and bind them with the Rollabind system. This way is very easy to rearrange if I feel the need to do so, and a lot less time-consuming to add or remove pages. I use unlined 4x6" index cards, which are very inexpensive, and record any information on the card that I want for my records. I've been doing it this way for years, and have found it works the best for me! I will attach a scan for those who aren't familiar with the Rollabind system. Please forgive the crookedness of the scan -- it moved when I closed the lid!

Happy trails....

Sue
Old 07-13-2006, 08:41 AM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Dorinda - your binder is so pretty!!

Another idea, that I don't think I've seen on this thread yet, but have read elsewhere on SCS is to print the sticker sheet when you get your stamps before you mount them. I just did that with the order I got yesterday and it's WAY easier than stamping them onto a piece of paper. Just wish I had done it with my last few orders... *sigh*
Old 07-13-2006, 09:30 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

I photo copy the label sheet before I mount my new sets, cut them to size and adhere them to a piece of white card stock. I then slide it into a sheet protector. I don't have mine really organized in any order but probably should.
-::- ((.*
Old 07-13-2006, 10:39 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by astraea54
Dorinda - your binder is so pretty!!

Another idea, that I don't think I've seen on this thread yet, but have read elsewhere on SCS is to print the sticker sheet when you get your stamps before you mount them. I just did that with the order I got yesterday and it's WAY easier than stamping them onto a piece of paper. Just wish I had done it with my last few orders... *sigh*
great idea...I know i have seen that here somwhere too....I never ever remember to do it! So I end up stamping on computer paper and slipping it into page protecters. Oh well..live and learn eh?

Old 07-14-2006, 05:46 AM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

I've ordered Rollabind supplies from both Rollabind itself ==> http://www.rollabind.com/index.html http://www.wilde-ideas.com/Index.html
Old 07-14-2006, 06:44 AM   #30  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhondag
While this sounds like a good idea to save time, it might be only good to do this with sets you have and already know are fine. I think you want to actually STAMP the new ones. The reason I say this is you only have 90 from date of purchase if something is wrong with your stamp, to contact SU to get a replacement. I had a stamp come in damaged and because I stamp ALL my stamps immediately after I mount them, I caught the defect right away and SU sent me a replacement rubber no questions asked. Just something else to think about

To answer the OP I stamp everything on copy paper, usually 2 sets fit on a sheet, and each sheet is labeled with the set name, the copyright date, how many stamps in the set, the price and if it's retired, I stamp the sheet with a big red "R". I use Eggplant rather than black to stamp the images with, it cleans off easier I keep the sheets in a doc file on the computer, so I can just print off a new sheet if I trade or sell any set (which I don't really do too often), it also makes it easy to add new sets to the bottom.

I also have a spreadsheet in Excel that lists all the sets, the rubber color, retired or not, the price, and any special notes (if it came from a mini, or is limited edition etc...) It also adds up my investment. (Shhh don't let my DH see this!) But it's good to know if anything ever happens to the house.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:32 AM   #31  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Thanks for the info...plastic punch or metal punch?

I was looking at the crafter's kit that comes with the plastic punch and the deluxe kit that comes with the metal punch. Just wondering how the plastic one would hold up...I can see my kids wanting to using this!

[QUOTE=scpd]I've ordered Rollabind supplies from both Rollabind itself ==> http://www.rollabind.com/index.html http://www.wilde-ideas.com/Index.html
Old 07-14-2006, 09:07 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a binder with sheet protectors in it. I use copy paper, and black ink, and write the titles on the top, and stamp the stamps on the paper underneath. This way, if there's any defects, I can catch it right away and get it replaced - this happened a couple months ago, actually. They're all alphabetized, and marked with a different colored sticker saying "retired, mini-catty, or sellabration." It's really helpful when I'm looking for something in particular, I can flip through the book instead of pulling all the sets down. I don't have prices on them - what if dh happened to get ahold of that book?!?! LOL
Old 07-14-2006, 09:20 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

You guys have inspired a fun idea! I was wondering how to make it easy to detach individual cards so I can compare choices side-by-side when selecting multiple sets for a scrapbook. So... instead of using a binder, I'm going to do a Basic Grey lunchpail album-style thing!
Old 07-14-2006, 11:27 AM   #34  
Rubber Obsessor

I stamp my stamps onto the large blank index cards and then file them in a box under the category they would fit into, so they might be stamped on more than one card if it fits for birthday and flowers, for example. For non SU stamps or other sets of stamps in cases, I stamp them on the cards also but since they are filed in clear shoe boxes, I also put the number of the shoe box they will be located in on the stamp itself and also the index card so that I can locate the stamp fairly quickly (not always if it wasn't put back promptly). I find that this system works for me. I do have a bin of stamps though to do this too so it helps if you do them right away.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:40 PM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

I have a three-ring notebook. I bought three-ring copy paper at Office Max along with those little thingies that look like life savers that you use to protect the holes. I stamped each set on a page with the title on top. I have dividers that I named the same as Stampin' Up - Holidays, Occasions, etc., along with one I call "Miscellaneous", where I put oddball stuff. I keep the sets alphabetized within its category.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:35 AM   #36  
Insane Embellisher

How old are your kids? The punch I have is the PBS500 -- Personal Hand Punch, and I feel it's very sturdy! The punch mechanism itself is metal, the 'frame' that you use to line up the paper with the holes is plastic. I've had mine for over 5 years now, and I use it a *lot* -- no problems with wear & tear. Of course, I've never used it as a Frisbee or baseball bat...

Happy trails....

Sue

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophie0625
I was looking at the crafter's kit that comes with the plastic punch and the deluxe kit that comes with the metal punch. Just wondering how the plastic one would hold up...I can see my kids wanting to using this!