Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-14-2022, 03:34 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 256 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Water Based Dye Ink Question

How are you using your water based dye inks? This is not the Archival dye inks. I am also excluding Distress Inks, since they are their own special inks.

I really need help with this. I am downsizing my inks for the move. I have a whole set of SU. The only thing I am using them for is loading Versamark technique for embossing.

I use my Archival inks the most now. I don’t do techniques. I only stamp or heat emboss. I am a simple stamper.

Pretty please share anything you are doing with these inks. I would be so grateful. I hope it can help new members that have joined too.

A second question for the simple stampers what are you using for inks?

Thank you everyone. I have a lot of stamping things ready to pack. I need to finish my inks.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2022, 11:49 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

I love my Catherine Pooler dye inks. You can watercolor with them or just use them to stamp. I use Versafine black ink for regular stamped images. I use Versamark for embossing images. I use Memento black dye ink for my copics.

Does this help?

I'm a chemo angel. Click here for more information: https://www.chemoangels.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by cheermom:
lylacfey (08-14-2022), NinaBeth (08-17-2022), Paula in GA (08-14-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 08:14 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Yes, that does help. I always forget about watercoloring. I haven’t used my ink to watercolor lately. I do love to use inks to watercolor more than using traditional watercolors.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2022, 04:31 PM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 419 Likes on 201 Posts

I was going to say the same thing about WC...which opens a big door.

You can paint with them- smoosh the pad on your worktop, spritz w water and paint...
Use a WC paper and smoosh directly to the paper and spray it and let it run or direct it
Smoosh a bunch of colors on worktop, spritz and drop a WC panel onto it.
Put some refill drops in a paint palette and paint
If you stamp them as circles and then spritz them, you have a splat BG.
To me they are very much like liquid inks.

Do you have WC paints? Maybe just pick colors that you dont have in the paints to keep....
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by wavejumper:
Chinocookie (08-15-2022), lylacfey (08-15-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 07:55 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I was going to say the same thing about WC...which opens a big door.

You can paint with them- smoosh the pad on your worktop, spritz w water and paint...
Use a WC paper and smoosh directly to the paper and spray it and let it run or direct it
Smoosh a bunch of colors on worktop, spritz and drop a WC panel onto it.
Put some refill drops in a paint palette and paint
If you stamp them as circles and then spritz them, you have a splat BG.
To me they are very much like liquid inks.

Do you have WC paints? Maybe just pick colors that you dont have in the paints to keep....
I have a lot of watercolor paints that I am downsizing. I am a simple stamper. I like to stamp my images & color. I do stamp in colors a lot. I hardly ever do techniques. I do enjoy coloring with my inks more than my watercolors. I tend to buy reinkers over watercolor tubes.

I have way too much coloring things. I have been really giving all my coloring tools a critical eye. Doing this I keep forgetting what I originally bought the item for. Five dollar coloring tool I can easily replace. A whole set of felt dye ink pads would be much harder to replace. I need help remembering what do we all use our dye inks for? With all the new ink technologies out we forget the classics.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2022, 01:37 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm going for Captain Obvious here -- Don't forget about reinking your SU! inkpads.

CNY Stamps - October 2022

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2022, 03:33 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 944 Likes on 675 Posts

If you have the SU markers, not the Blends, but the water based ones, you can use the re-fills to freshen up the ink in the marker and make it like new again. If you have stamps with solid images that fill the outline in, the dye inks work great for this.
LisaFeatured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
fl_beachbum (08-18-2022)
Old 08-16-2022, 05:27 AM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 419 Likes on 201 Posts

I get that you are a stamper....I will add this though....one can stamp an image and color it in with WC instead of a marker. One can also do a BG "wash" of color and then stamp in a solid silhouette, xlarge sentiment, or a big pretty floral spray kind of thing.

Good point about refilling markers.

And about doing layering stamping.

We are talking about their WC properties and how to take them beyond their basic stamping function here.....but they are for stamping. If you feel happy with just the archivals....then that's great and makes life simple for you.

You could use the pads till they are done and just not replace them. Either till you physical wear them out or just run out of ink and only keep the refills.

But the bottom line...if you are not going to use them....then I agree and they should go. I think it is easier to sell them with a refill...or nicer to give them with one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2022, 05:45 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

You can stamp the image in the Archival inks and then use the dye inks to add the color, especially with watercolor. That is what I generally use a lot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2022, 07:05 AM   #10  
Chat Box Hippy Chick

Received 195 Likes on 119 Posts

aside from stamping in color, and refilling my ink pads,(which I do often - love a juicy pad) I also watercolor with my dye inks.
and you can color ribbon or any kind of paste
anything else I think would be a technique and you don't do those
like making backgrounds, I like smooshing and blobbing,
mix with alcohol for spritzing ( add shimmer paint for shimmery color spritzing)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
wavejumper (08-18-2022)
Old 08-16-2022, 09:36 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Thank you everyone, This is helping a lot. I am keeping all my reinkers. I am keeping my markers. I am just wondering if I need to keep the inkpads. I like them, I think they are pretty but I hardly use them.

With the moving stress, the Covid years a lot of things I did in stamping before then I have truly forgot about. I have a feeling there will be some reading this can relate. They are saying “Me too.” I am hoping this will be a good jog the memory thread. It also can be a thread that ink pads are a bit outdated and this is an easier or different way to do things now.

I will be point blank. I am going through a bad perimenopause. I can’t take HRT at all, even the lower dose. Everything is a struggle. Packing and moving my inkpads is not an issue but if I don’t need too then that is a plus, lol. I don’t want to go through the stress of replacing them either because I was stressed and forgot what I needed them for. I have been there done that. I don’t want to do that again.

I do admit this move decluttering has been easy except for my stamping and some of my gaming items.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2022, 06:47 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Received 91 Likes on 39 Posts

A couple of things I do with my SU pads which I don't think anyone has already mentioned:
1. I quite often stamp outlines in the dark colours and colour them in for a more subtle effect than the usual thing most of us do by stamping in black. I also use dark colours which tone with the front of the card to stamp the greeting inside the card.
2. Stamping in neutral colours (e.g. Sahara Sand) is great for 'no outline' colouring.
3. Ive recently started using a lot of my ink pads with blending brushes and stencils for quick and easy but very effective focal points and backgrounds. You can get multiple shades out of one inkpad by varying the number of times you apply the colour (until the paper is saturated).

and re-inkers can be used to colour any white water-soluble medium, such as embossing paste.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 6 users liked this post by Stampnnatter:
fl_beachbum (08-18-2022), jeanne3579 (08-18-2022), Joy-full (08-20-2022), lylacfey (08-17-2022), Rebali (08-26-2022), wavejumper (08-18-2022)
Old 08-18-2022, 07:31 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

I use my pads in all the same ways as mentioned above, but next to stamping with them, I love to sponge with them and also color embossing folders DTFolder before embossing to put color with the embossing in one step. I use them DTP as well. Squishing the lid to the pad and using an aqua brush with the ink that comes off the lid is another use I make of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2022, 11:54 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

I did make the decision today to keep the ink pads. I have a feeling I will regret getting rid of them. I might change my mind when I am doing the final packing.

Thank you everyone for the help. This week I was able to downsize my coloring tools by 75%. That was my goal. I would like to downsize some more. Downsizing a lot of things I was not using I fell in love with again. I was able to downsize those things & make them fit me for the artist I am today. I had like nine watercolor paint palettes. Why? I have no idea. I personally don't need that many. Now, they can go to an artist that does need that many.

If it helps any of our new members. I have a feeling dye ink pads that are the pure dye inks, (not the archival ones) really are not a necessity any more in stamping. It looks like most of the techniques mentioned can be done with reinkers. If I had to do it all over again or was just starting out I would probably buy the reinkers, makeup sponges or daubers, paintbrushes and a nice media mat.

Why I mentioned daubers for? This is my tip. I use a little bit of reinker on my daubers. I have them all listed by the SU names in a case. I have stamping platforms & those big inks get all over the platform when you are trying to ink up your stamp. My daubers give me nice control. No, this is not wasteful. I bought my reinkers thirteen years ago. I have only had to replace three in all those years. Those three were because I am a klutz or I had the famous red ink issue.

I love full size ink pads. I think they are better for stampers that are not using platforms & are using blocks or mounted.

Thank you to everyone who threw out ideas. Keep throwing them out. It helped me so much.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by lylacfey:
leibetty (08-19-2022), Stampnnatter (08-19-2022)
Old 08-25-2022, 12:50 PM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blending Brushed

What tools (brushes?) do you use for blending? Thank you!
Quote:

Originally Posted by StampnnatterView Post
A couple of things I do with my SU pads which I don't think anyone has already mentioned:
1. I quite often stamp outlines in the dark colours and colour them in for a more subtle effect than the usual thing most of us do by stamping in black. I also use dark colours which tone with the front of the card to stamp the greeting inside the card.
2. Stamping in neutral colours (e.g. Sahara Sand) is great for 'no outline' colouring.
3. Ive recently started using a lot of my ink pads with blending brushes and stencils for quick and easy but very effective focal points and backgrounds. You can get multiple shades out of one inkpad by varying the number of times you apply the colour (until the paper is saturated).

and re-inkers can be used to colour any white water-soluble medium, such as embossing paste.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2022, 01:44 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenn16View Post
I use cheap ones from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2022, 03:11 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Received 91 Likes on 39 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenn16View Post
I bought a set of make-up brushes, this is not the set I bought but it looks as if it has the same range of sizes as mine https://www.amazon.com/Yoseng-Fashio...1468896&sr=8-5
I find I use mostly the smallest round brushes and a couple of the medium oval ones, but some of the others are useful, depending on the stencil I'm using.
HTH
Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2022, 08:36 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Jenn16- The brushes our girls are linking you can buy at Dollar Tree or WalMart. These are the makeup blending brushes. Amazon is cheaper but if you want to see them in person both those stores have them in stock.

A lot of us also use daubers- https://www.amazon.com/s?k=finger+da...f=nb_sb_noss_1

You can use makeup sponges from Dollar Tree.

Peek at Natasha Foote’s videos on You Tube, She does A lot of beautiful blending techniques that are affordable.

Don’t be shy, Ask any questions you want in this thread. Welcome to the forum.

Reply With Quote Likes