Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Visting Archivers for the first time (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/visting-archivers-first-time-522240/)

kwelch10377 03-07-2011 06:38 AM

Visting Archivers for the first time

I am visiting Houston in a few days and plan to visit Archivers. Do they have coupons? What kind of different items do they carry compared to AcMoore, Michaels and JoAnns?

Anything else I should know?

cjbapp 03-07-2011 07:33 AM

Yes, they do have coupons...if you sign up with your email, I think I get them every 6 weeks or so. Usually for 30% off one item, plus 5 sheets of free cardstock.

And they carry most brands of paper, and some stamps...they are geared more towards scrapbooking, so lots of albums and stuff. They do carry Sizzix, BIA, Slice, Quickutz, Tim Holtz, EK Success, and other big brands. It's a fun place to browse, but their prices are higher than most online stores, so I often end up just buying a few *want it right now* items with my coupons and then ordering the rest of what I like at home.

Hope this helps!

BillieDee 03-07-2011 09:27 AM

Welcome to Houston - even if it's only for a few days. The folks at Archiver's are also very knowledgeable about the products they carry so ASK! I am SO glad that store is 30 minutes away from me else I'd be there every weekend. They have classes, too. And ... don't forget to check out the clearance isles. Every now and then I find something to take home from there. They have a larger Heros section and have the inks and paper, too. I haven't seen the ink and paper any where else (except for on-line). Since they're just scrap-booking and card-making they carry a very wide selection of OUR toys only.

I will admit that sometimes I visit there to check out a new product that I then buy elsewhere for much less.

Minders 03-07-2011 11:26 AM

You will be totally overwhelmed....and in heaven:-) My old boyfriend liked to say that I stepped in the door and heard angels sing, lol! But that's not too far from the truth! Make sure you have lots of time...I have not been in one in a few years but they have a TON of stuff. And I like that it's a "prettier" store than normal big craft stores:-) Kind of like a boutique. Have fun!

mrussom 03-07-2011 01:20 PM

They have some fun classes too, if you go to their website you can see what is offered at the store you are going to. And plan on being in the store for a long time- there is so much to look at and new things that I had never seen before. Get the coupons on line too! Have fun!

Phantom 03-07-2011 01:24 PM

I think it's "prettier" too!

I had to check out this thread because last year I remember asking the same questions!

It's an interesting layout (presuming they are the same everywhere). It's sort of like going in a circle, but there are niches all around to duck into . . . one with stamps, embossing powder, etc.; one with embellishments and storage/photo storage; one with paper. . . and so much more!

There is a ton of stuff at Archiver's!

There was a very nice selection of Tim Holtz products and I was especially happy to find Basic Grey collections -- not just paper, but all the doodads to go with it.

You may also find lots of samples of new products because they have classes, too.

The prices are not discounts - some of it's a bit pricey. But if you are like me and a trip to that "boutique" sort of store is a RARE event and it makes you all lightheaded to get all touchy-feely with stampy stuff, then who cares, right?!?! ;^) ;^)

Buy, don't buy. . . but ENJOY!!!

{Billie Dee, I have to giggle -- if Archiver's was 30 min. from me, I'd be there every week, LOL! They are +2 hours from me so I'm safe!}

beccalou 03-07-2011 03:15 PM

My bff and I meet at the one in Atlanta every couple months, we usually get a hotel room and then Friday and Sat nights sign up for their crops. They run a tab and that's scary considering all the eye candy they have!!

Phantom 03-07-2011 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beccalou (Post 18046682)
My bff and I meet at the one in Atlanta every couple months, we usually get a hotel room and then Friday and Sat nights sign up for their crops. They run a tab and that's scary considering all the eye candy they have!!

Really!?! That's kinda cool . . . excellent sales technique ;^) !

Sambini 03-07-2011 05:43 PM

I got my first and only Archiver's experience last summer taking my oldest son to college in Atlanta which is 600 miles away from where we live. Unfortunately for me, it lasted less than ten minutes since my family was in the car waiting on me! I told my son that I would pick him up this summer so I can go to Archiver's by myself. I really liked seeing things that are so different from AC Moore and Michaels. Have fun shopping!

Vee 03-07-2011 06:01 PM

Bring something to protect all the 12 x 12 paper you will buy.

I-Am-Serendipity 03-07-2011 06:09 PM

Bring your wallet!!! Like most of the others have said - it is 'pretty' and you will want everything because they have (almost) everything!! As for coupons, they do have coupons, but not often. Do a Google search before you go. Have fun!!

shirolives 03-08-2011 06:09 AM

kwelch10377 03-08-2011 07:03 AM

Thanks everyone for the input. I have been to Houston many times before and I am not sure why I haven't gone yet. Thankfully I get paid on Friday!

cjbapp 03-08-2011 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vee (Post 18047491)
Bring something to protect all the 12 x 12 paper you will buy.

You can request cardboard to put the papers between...they only use it if you ask for it, but are happy to add a sheet of cardboard on each side of your new stack of DSP to protect it on the way home. :)

sillyfilly 03-08-2011 05:23 PM

OMG I went to one in the San Diego area and I was in there for hours. I was so over whelmed because they have so much product. I have since been to a couple of others and love going. Just make sure you have a good stash to spend um I mean money to spend!

Asingh 03-08-2011 09:10 PM

Lucky! It's my dream to visit an Archiver's store one day. sigh!