Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-15-2010, 03:02 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unmounting Question - How do I do this?

I have an SU! set that I haven't put on the wood blocks and don't plan to. How do I get the foam off of the rubber so I can put my stamps on ez-mount? I feel like an idiot for asking this because the foam they use is basically ez-mount, but it's sticky instead of clingy.

Thank you!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2010, 03:40 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

I've found that especially for newer sets, the rubber just peels right off the sticky foam. Just gently separate the foam from the rubber on one edge and gently pull back.

If it's super sticky and doesn't seem to want to just peel off, I've found that tossing them in the freezer for 20-30 minutes does the trick for me 99% of the time. THen the rubber just peels right off, almost always leaving no sticky behind. If it's an older stamp set, it might leave a layer of gray grainy stuff, but if it's pretty even across the back of the stamp, I just slap that right on to my EZMount.

Other folks recommend microwaving the stamps to get things to separate, but I just can't bring myself to do that one. That always seems to me to just increase the amount of stickiness in the whole situation and I HATE getting sticky on my fingers!

Just some thoughts. I'm sure that there will be others along soon to share their tips and tricks as well!

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2010, 04:19 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have some left over SU! clear stamps' vinyl, you can do what I did with mine. See my blogpost here. Then you don't have to remove the foam from the rubber. Or check out this instruction here.

Maybe this is helpful?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2010, 04:28 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

I just bought some rubber stamp images that had the sticky rubber foam mount on them. I just popped them in the micro for 10-15 sec depending on size (one image at a time in micro) and just peel the rubber image off the sticky mount. Very easy!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2010, 07:51 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

This sounds like something I should do with my stamps. It would be nice to have the image on the back of the stamp. But since I don't do this with regular SU clear mount stamps I doubt I'll do it with the wood block converted ones. The regular CMS seem to stick to the block better without the sticker attached to it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2010, 03:54 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Another option is to coat the back of the SU sticky foam with Ailene's Tack It Over and Over glue - or with the Tombo Mono Multi in the white & green bottle - and let it dry. You need a thin coat (spread it around with a foam brush if you can't stand the sticky on your fingers) and make sure it's completely dry, then stick the stamps to your arm or back of your hand a couple of times to reduce the cling power.

If you do want the stamp image on the back of the foam, you can apply the indexing stickers before you put the glue on. For me, the glue is actually easier to apply and to get to spread thin with the sticker on, but I only use it with sets that have never been mounted on wood like yours. Once the stamp & sticker have been on wood, it seems that the sticker wants to stay on the block with the EZ Mount and pull away from the stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes