Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Using watercolours on cards? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/using-watercolours-cards-58287/)

~Justme~ 06-09-2005 07:01 PM

Using watercolours on cards?

Hi! I'm new to this site! :D (*LOVE* it! Posted an intro. already...)

I have a question... when you use watercolours on your cards, how do you get the ink from the stamp to not run? I've been using my Bazzinks, and Tim Holtz ink pads, but when the ink gets wet, it runs. :roll:

Any tips? I *love* the look of watercolours on cards and would love to use this technique more...

Thanks!!

~Justme~ 06-10-2005 06:40 AM

Nobody knows how to prevent this? :confused:

row4d 06-10-2005 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Justme~
Nobody knows how to prevent this? :confused:

Relax, hon! :D There probably just weren't many night owls online with you. I see you're new, so you may not know about the search feature yet. Much faster than waiting for responses, and it makes for a neater board! It might not have gotten the results you needed for this question, but for most of the frequently asked ones it's a big help!

You have to use a waterproof ink to keep your image from running. Among the SU! inks, you should use either the Basic Black or Basic Brown. I've never used the brands you mentioned, so I don't know if they offer any waterproof versions. Some people emboss the stamped image before watercoloring, but you may not want that look.

~Justme~ 06-10-2005 07:36 AM

:D Thanks for your reply!

Sorry.. patience isn't my strong suit.. ;)

I was told by my SU demonstrator/seller (?) that the SU inks were waterbased and would do the same thing. So the Basic Black would be waterproof?

jor 06-10-2005 07:39 AM

Basic Black, Basic Brown are two to use. The image won't run. They are waterproof and won't run.

Good luck!

~Justme~ 06-10-2005 11:22 AM

Thanks! I'll buy a Basic Black SU pad then. :)

ADBTHEROUX 06-10-2005 11:33 AM

Staz-On Jet Black is also a good option.

~Justme~ 06-10-2005 11:39 AM

Great, thanks! I'll look into that one too... :D

mrslevite 06-10-2005 02:14 PM

I know this has been discussed before, but can someone refresh my memory. Which is recommended for which cardstock? Is it basic black on ultrasmooth and stayzon on shimmery white? I finally have the shimmery white and want to use what will work best. Thanks in advance.

Rhiamon 06-10-2005 02:47 PM

A lot of times when I use watercolor pencils in my stamping, I will emboss the image first in black. That way the colors stay separate. All depends on the effect you are going for.

bedazzledbylife 06-10-2005 08:53 PM

My favorite ink for watercolor is an India Ink pad. Be sure to use a good quality watercolor paper, too.

tanyawilliam 06-11-2005 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrslevite
I know this has been discussed before, but can someone refresh my memory. Which is recommended for which cardstock? Is it basic black on ultrasmooth and stayzon on shimmery white? I finally have the shimmery white and want to use what will work best. Thanks in advance.

Here is the info about watercoloring from the SU site:

Since we added paper such as Naturals, Confetti, Kraft, and Shimmery White to our product line, they have become popular choices for watercoloring. The Basic Brown and Basic Black Classic Pads work best on Whisper White and Very Vanilla. On other card stock colors and specialty paper, we recommend using one of the StazOn pads shown on page 226 of the Idea Book & Catalog for an image that will not bleed when watercoloring. Allow time for the ink to dry completely before watercoloring the image.

~Justme~ 06-12-2005 04:03 AM

Thanks everyone! I use Bazzill for my cards, not sure if it's good for watercolour or not, but it is nice and thick paper. I also don't have the stuff for embossing (*yet) so that's out. I'll get a Staz On and see if that helps.

Thanks again!