Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-20-2006, 12:52 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticky Situation-Who needs to bend?

I have been in a stamp club for nearly 10 years with 7 other women. 2 of these women became SU demos about 6 years ago. We each take turns bringing 2-3 projects for everyone to do. One of the non-demo women has a sister recently selling CTMH and brings projects made with those and several of us also buy brands of stamps now and then from SU competitors and use those for our projects. We have used mainly SU stamps over the years and as a result, these 2 demos have picked up lots of informal sales. When someone brings a card to die for, many of us may on the spot ask the demos to order those sets/supplies for us. Over the last 6 months we have done about 70% SU projects but are branching out to other stamps including CTMH. Last week one of the demos quietly said that she was uncomfortable with how the stamp club has evolved and implied (did not actually say) that she and the other demo really should not be making projects with stamps from direct competitors. The other demo seemed to agree via body language.

After they left together, the rest of us were a bit taken aback. The 2 who originally started the club include the woman whose sister sells CTMH. We switch homes each time we meet so it is not like anyone "owns" the club". One woman said she thought that SU demos were really not to be stamping with other brands, but I maintain that they can stamp and buy other brands as long as they don't demo them anywhere. It is my suspicion that their discomfort has come from a big drop in sales that result from this group no longer exclusively using SU.

How should this be handled? Several are adamant that 2 do not control the group and several feel we should just go along and be nice so that we do not make the 2 demos feel uncomfortable. We are all friends for over a decade and the last thing I want is a falling out where anyone is concerned. Do you have any advice for this situation?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2006, 12:58 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

I think if one of the demos was leading the club, and providing all of the samples, she might have an argument. The way it is set up, however, I don't believe they should be able to dictate what anyone else in the group wants to use to make a card! It might be easier on the friendships if you stick with SU, but the damage might have already been done. There are many great products on the market, and I personally love to use stuff from other companies.

I understand a bit of what you're going through, by the way. I have 2 demo friends - one is SU exclusive, one is not. I never feel comfortable bringing non-SU stuff to my friend who is exclusive.

I sure hope you work this out to everyone's satisfaction. Maybe an open and honest conversation would help.
"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Mt. 6:21

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2006, 01:03 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

hmm.. i personally would continue on with your monthly things with or without them.. if it all turns into CTMH, then so be it.. their loss.
demos can stamp with whatever stamp they choose, you are correct in your assumption that they just cannot demo it.
i LOVE SU, but i am not exlusive, i have always loved AMUSE stamps.. one does not have to be exclusive in their tastes.

if they decide it is a conflict of interest for them, that is their perogative, but personally, i think some sales are bettre than no sales, and they would really be doing a disservice to themselves.. but that is just my opinion! ;)

a customer is going to buy what they like anyhow.. no matter if they are friend, or not!

Photographer serving the SE Houston area
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2006, 01:11 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

After they left together, the rest of us were a bit taken aback. The 2 who originally started the club include the woman whose sister sells CTMH. We switch homes each time we meet so it is not like anyone "owns" the club". One woman said she thought that SU demos were really not to be stamping with other brands, but I maintain that they can stamp and buy other brands as long as they don't demo them anywhere. It is my suspicion that their discomfort has come from a big drop in sales that result from this group no longer exclusively using SU.

How should this be handled? Several are adamant that 2 do not control the group and several feel we should just go along and be nice so that we do not make the 2 demos feel uncomfortable. We are all friends for over a decade and the last thing I want is a falling out where anyone is concerned. Do you have any advice for this situation?
Assuming the club was formed strictly as a social one 10 years ago, and not specifically by an SU! demonstrator with intent at garnering sales for her/them-selves, I fail to see how they could find fault with CTMH projects being shown, and club members interested in purchasing those products.

The club is not of a territorial business nature; it is social, yes?

I am an SU! demonstrator, and when conducting myself at official SU! related events in the capacity of a demonstrator, yes, I do so as per my contract: I demonstrate and promote the sales of those products only. That's my job and my obligation as a demonstrator.

I am not a purist, however, outside of my role as a demonstrator, and use many different brands of stamps. If I am in a social setting, and not serving officially as a demonstrator (SU! workshop, class, club, meeting, etc.), that demo'r hat is OFF. I'm joe-schmoe stamper. And, I wouldn't expect anyone to use only SU! products, including myself, at such an event, unless I/they wanted to.

If someone handed me an SU! order to take care of later, no problem. If someone handed the other lady an order for her CTMH sister, it also should NOT be a problem.

I suspect the ladies in question are feeling a drop in these orders and are irritated by it, although, I don't know why they would feel they have a right to be, given the circumstances/setting you described.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2006, 02:02 PM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds to me, that if they leave the group, they'll be making even less in sales! It would definitely be their loss. It should encourage them to do such wonderful projects in the future that no one could resist buying from them![IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif[/IMG]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2006, 02:40 PM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a sit down talk is in order. Everyone needs to get their feelings about this out in the open NOW before it gets down right ugly. (Which it will when any size group of women get together ;) ) If the 2 SU demos would rather not participate when CTMH (or other companies) are being demonstrated, then they do not have to be there. It's pretty simple.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2006, 02:56 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

I agree ... have a talk sooner rather than later, or it will turn ugly and feelings will be hurt. I think they will lose sales by not being there, but I guess if it makes them feel uncomfortable, it is THEIR choice. Hope it all works out for your group!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2006, 03:09 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I would definitely sit down with the group and have a chat before feelings get hurt. Since this club was in formation about 4 years before the SU gals became demo's, I don't think it's their place to dictate what products you girls use. I wonder if it would be an issue if you were bringing stamps/products you purchased at AC Moore, HL, or Micheal's, or only if it's an issue because it's another direct sales company. Personally, as a CTMH consultant, I know that my customers love all the products out there and they are not going to buy exclusively from me.
I host swaps and contests for my customers and sometimes I ask that they use all CTMH products, but, more often than not, I tell them have fun and use what they have....just a different technique so we can all learn something new.

Suz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2006, 04:14 AM   #9  
Vee
Glitter Guru

You might butter them up by saying how much you all LOVE the projects they bring and show etc and that you would hate that to end. Also point out that if they are uncomfortable enough to quit, then the reset of you would most likely order your SU! stuff from someone as YOU would then assume they were cutting ties.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2006, 06:26 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

I'll be watching this thread very closely.

We just started a stamp group three months ago and now one of our members is becoming a SU demo. While I’ll love the convenience of being able to just drop an order with her at the meeting, since I’m not strictly SU I’m kind of worried that the next time it’s my turn to host the group I’ll feel limited to using only SU products help boost her sales.

Last month was my turn to host. I didn’t use strictly SU and told the girls to wait for sales and coupons at the local craft stores for some of the supplies. I showed a few ways to use the Versamark pad and the magic pencil technique. The stamps I brought were SU, since I have them organized a lot better than my others, but the supplies (inkpads, adhesive, Prismacolors, etc.) were not. I haven’t come up with a project for next time, it’s still three or four months off, but I KNOW it needs to be a lot simpler and once again I doubt it’ll be exclusively SU products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2006, 07:35 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I say that it is EQUAL opportunity. Every time you meet a different person brings THEIR project to share. If you have 7 people, each time it could be 7 different companies even, SU one week, Hero Arts, and so on.. I think you stick to the rules you set up. Don't turn the group into a group where it all has to be one way or not at all -- it sounds like a great idea that you all meet and bring a project each week.

They have plenty of opportunities to do SU only stuff with the Demo only get togethers with their upline and things like that. I think it is sad that they are not happy with the arrangement -- it does sound like they have lost sales but that it too bad they have a poor attitude about it.
Reply With Quote Likes