Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Unused wooden mounting blocks (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/unused-wooden-mounting-blocks-495813/)

kathleen warren 06-23-2010 04:15 AM

Unused wooden mounting blocks

What is everyone doing with the wooden blocks that are left when they are removed from the stamp? I have many and hate to toss them. I have very small storage space and have converted to easy mount.

lisha_1988 06-23-2010 04:30 AM

I havent unmounted but what about using the blocks (once all sticky stuff taken off) and either using for kids building blocks or donating to a local school?

UnderstandBlue 06-23-2010 06:13 AM

Have you called Stampin' Up? They might recycle them.

ceramics 06-23-2010 06:33 AM

I have a few ideas - Use them as baby blocks for toddlers! Make sure the are all cleaned up and sanded if needed. I would not recommend the tiny ones for this use.
Another use is decorate them as paper weights - make great gifts.
Also if you have a bunch the same size - they could be decorated with letters spelling out different words to be used in Home Decor/Holiday Decorations. Examples of words might be: FAITH, LOVE, BELIEVE, Merry Christmas, Joy. You can use the big shot to cut out letters or use the Chip Board Letters. You could even spell out your Child's Name or a Teachers Name(to use a gift), even # 1 Teacher!
Have fun with them!

Lazorkay 06-23-2010 06:35 AM

My grandkids love these things!

ch 06-23-2010 08:24 AM

Donate to Goodwill. Make someones day.

biblesistersmom 06-23-2010 01:06 PM

If you still have your blocks, I would love to have them. I am trying to mount all my unmounted stamps. If you're interested in sharing, please send me a PM. Thanks!!

jennmoore3 06-23-2010 01:36 PM

hi

o.k. This may sound dumb, but why would you un mount them after they were mounted? Is there something I am missing?

cat_woman 06-23-2010 03:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jennmoore3 (Post 16903294)
o.k. This may sound dumb, but why would you un mount them after they were mounted? Is there something I am missing?

If you buy stamps that are just the rubber, some people like to mount them onto wood blocks.

ETA: I read it backwards. Most people are unmounting their stamps to save space. I have a very tiny house (about 600sq ft total) so storage space is prime realty. I've unmounted all my stamps. What use to take up 5 or 6 shelves now fits into 10 binders on 3/4 of a shelf. Now I have room to put all my embellies out. :)

I just put a big box and 2 shopping bags full of blocks in the recycling last week. I tried to put an add on Kijiji (CDN version of craigslist) but no one came for them. I did save some that I'm going to glue pictures to and make a small mosaic for my wall and have little pictures in my book cases. I saved some of the big background stamp blocks and will make bookends out of those. I also made an alcohol ink blending tool. I glued two pieces of wood together, and then stuck some sticky back velcro to the bottom (only the hook part) and cut squares of felt to stick to it. I don't have any alcohol inks yet (waiting for Mikes 50% off coupon). Here's a pic of the blending tool I made:

Willie816 06-23-2010 04:09 PM

unused wooden blocks

I would love anyones unmounted wood blocks,all sizes. I'm a dinosaur that still prefers stamps on wood blocks. Sometimes I buy just the rubber stamp and mount myself or just remount some stamps differently. Please PM me or email me about your empty blocks. I would pay postage.

jeanstamping2 06-24-2010 10:04 AM

They work great for fire starter. A friend of mine gave me a bunch. Now we use them when we go camping.

cat_woman 06-24-2010 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanstamping2 (Post 16908168)
They work great for fire starter. A friend of mine gave me a bunch. Now we use them when we go camping.

I suggested that to my husband, but he said he's not loading all that wood.:mad: I've been told that they're not good for fireplaces either because of the finish on them and especially if they're not cleaned. I didn't bother cleaning mine - only the one's I wanted to keep.

ceramics 06-25-2010 04:19 AM

Hi

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennmoore3 (Post 16903294)

Some people unmount their stamps because of space issues. The unmounted stamps take up so much less space!

spedabstbit 06-25-2010 04:55 AM

I don't have money to spare to buy them, but if anybody is just getting rid of theirs, I would love to take some off your hands. I'm from TN, but we are missionaries living overseas, and there is pretty much nothing crafty to be had over here! I've had some plain rubber made up in the local language to use for cards for my national friends to supplement my English-language stamps and images from S.U. Anyway, I have some mounting cushion, but no wood blocks. Would anybody be willing to mail some this way?

debbie derocher 06-25-2010 06:06 PM

I donated my larger blocks to a nursery school. The teacher was very appreciative. Of course, these were the ones that never had rubber on them.

pammers 06-26-2010 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathleen warren (Post 16900170)
What is everyone doing with the wooden blocks that are left when they are removed from the stamp? I have many and hate to toss them. I have very small storage space and have converted to easy mount.

I post in the buy/sell for the cost of basically filling up a priority express envelope and the paypal fee. First responder gets the blocks. I've done it twice and both times, they gone same day.

biowife84 06-26-2010 09:28 AM

We used them in our fire pit outside. I'm not sure that I'd burn them inside, since some have a finish or leftover glue residue. They do make great kindling!

craftdesigns 06-27-2010 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathleen warren (Post 16900170)

Here's one way I use them...http://paperfriendly.blogspot.com/20...e-it-easy.html

There's more ideas in the link given at the end of the comments...Triple The Scraps blog.

UnderstandBlue 06-27-2010 04:54 PM

Well how cool is THAT Nancy???

TFS!!

llpark2 07-20-2012 05:40 PM

If any one has wood blocks that they do not want, I am willing to pay shipping for them. Just let me know. Thanks