Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-27-2007, 08:23 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Unmounting Disadvantages???

Just wondering if anyone has tried unmounting their stampin up stamps and werent happy with the results? I'm undecided about which way to go--
I have room for my stamps so thats not an issue, but I think the seeing where you stamp would be nice.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-27-2007, 08:30 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I am much happier with my stamps being unmounted. You can see right where to place them, puts an end to crooked images.
Just Us Girls Challenge DT
Old 01-27-2007, 08:34 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

The only thing I wish is that I had done it years ago. I can only thing of a long list of advantages.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:42 AM   #4  
Inking Addict

Thumbs up Unmounting Stamps

I use both SU and TAC stamps. After I got my first TAC stamp, I fell in love with their creative cling. I still buy tons of SU stamps, but they never get put on the woodblocks. I LOVE unmounted stamps.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:45 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuddysBaby
I use both SU and TAC stamps. After I got my first TAC stamp, I fell in love with their creative cling. I still buy tons of SU stamps, but they never get put on the woodblocks. I LOVE unmounted stamps.
DITTO! TAC made me realize what I'd been missing all of these years! LOVE unmounted! I can have all my sets in one place instead of scattered wherever I could find extra storage space. Our house was built in 1927 when people didn't have a lot of "stuff" so it's essential that I have the best storage system for me!
Old 01-27-2007, 08:49 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

I'll go against the popular opinion I have mostly wood mounted SU sets, but also have a number of unmounted sets. I find that I RARELY pull out my unmounteds. It's just too much of a pain for me to put them on the acrylic blocks, stamp, clean, peel off & apply the next stamp. I don't need the space savings & just find wood mount easier to use.

Old 01-27-2007, 08:59 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Sorry, I can't think of any disadvantages unless you are really in love with wood!
Old 01-27-2007, 09:10 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

I know some ladies talked about resale value going down when you unmount… since I don’t sell my stamps I’ve never thought about that as a disadvantage.

I’m glad I went unmounted… storage wasn’t an issue for me. I was a total wood mount gal… until I found TAC and then I really liked the Creative Cling... plus, I like the way they look clean and organized (OCD) stored in jewel cases.

If your unsure… unmount a couple of your sets and see if you like it before you do you entire collection.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:17 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

I don't really have space issues either, as my WM and UM stamps currently fit nicely into a big drawer in my crafting armoire. However, I find I grab my UM stamps a LOT more frequently because even tho I have the space for everything, my UM stamps are a lot easier to organise, grab, set on my crowded crafting area, and then put away in their proper place. I've accumulated a nice little assortment of acrylic handles -- most of them free with purchase of stamp sets -- so I don't have to constantly switch out stamps from a single handle.

I started dabbling in UM stamps by unmounting some foam-mounted rubber stamps I'd gotten from Personal Stamp Exchange and the cheapie sets from Michaels, plus a couple of dollar store ones. I'd suggest trying out those UM and see how you like it.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:21 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

So this may make me sound stupid but....how do you go about unmounting your SU stamps and then how to you use them on acrylics. Unmounteds I have ever bought have the cling on the back so I don't have to do anything. Any tips would be great! Thanks!
Old 01-27-2007, 09:22 AM   #11  
Knit, Purl, Stamp

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel
I started dabbling in UM stamps by unmounting some foam-mounted rubber stamps I'd gotten from Personal Stamp Exchange and the cheapie sets from Michaels, plus a couple of dollar store ones. I'd suggest trying out those UM and see how you like it.
This is great advise. I'm about 1/3 UM and 2/3 wood mounted. I love the fact that I can see where I'm stamping better with UM, but I still like the feel of wood in my hands. I tend to UM as I need room. I just got 8 new sets, so some things are going to have to be UM soon!

One thing I would never UM is a background stamp. They are just too big.

My Gallery
My Blog - My adventures in knitting
Old 01-27-2007, 09:22 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

I'm in the minority here too. I tried UM with some TAC set I bought. I found I just never thought to use them. They got put away so neatly, I didn't ever think to pull them out. Plus, I just wasn't happy with the images or the way it felt to stamp with them. I ended up mounting them all on wood blocks, I love the images even more Now I use them all the time!
Melisa
Old 01-27-2007, 09:23 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

I love my um SU stamps. I unmounted 350 of them this past year and I have not regretted it once. Speaking from experience with SU wm stamps it does not take any more time to put them on an acrylic block. You still have to clean and put away your woodmounted ones so I really don't get why some think that takes soooo much longer. I had a friend over yesterday (former downline) and I showed her my new system. She was amazed at how easy it was and how it did not take more time to use like she had heard.

Good luck making your decision. I love my unmounted and am so glad I decided to go that route. Now I have more room on my stamping table for my Cricut, my new passion!!

Robyn

My Gallery
Old 01-27-2007, 09:25 AM   #14  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

I don't really have space issues either, as my WM and UM stamps currently fit nicely into a big drawer in my crafting armoire. However, I find I grab my UM stamps a LOT more frequently because even tho I have the space for everything, my UM stamps are a lot easier to organise, grab, set on my crowded crafting area, and then put away in their proper place. I've accumulated a nice little assortment of acrylic handles -- most of them free with purchase of stamp sets -- so I don't have to constantly switch out stamps from a single handle.

Now I am the complete opposite, I probably have equal mounted to unmounted and 9 times out of 10 I will go for the wood mounted because I have my wood mounted out and can see them and my unmounted I store in a cupboard.
But I do have every stamp I own stamped in a stamp book, so I often flick through the book to see what I am going to use!

Old 01-27-2007, 09:29 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jovi
I know some ladies talked about resale value going down when you unmount… since I don’t sell my stamps I’ve never thought about that as a disadvantage.

I’m glad I went unmounted… storage wasn’t an issue for me. I was a total wood mount gal… until I found TAC and then I really liked the Creative Cling... plus, I like the way they look clean and organized (OCD) stored in jewel cases.

If your unsure… unmount a couple of your sets and see if you like it before you do you entire collection.
And you can always box the wood, store it in the attic and it is simple to remount if you want to sell them that way. I am finding I can resell for the same price these days because so many people love to get them with the EZ mount on them already!
Old 01-27-2007, 09:30 AM   #16  
Knit, Purl, Stamp

Quote:

Originally Posted by untaphi54
So this may make me sound stupid but....how do you go about unmounting your SU stamps and then how to you use them on acrylics. Unmounteds I have ever bought have the cling on the back so I don't have to do anything. Any tips would be great! Thanks!
Not stupid questions at all!

I have UM several SU sets. I just peel the rubber and foam off of the wood block. If it's really stubborn, zap it in the microwave for 10 seconds (but be careful, the wood gets really hot!) I usually try and remove as much of the foam from the rubber as possible, but I don't worry about it too much.

You can them either go with a cling or adhesive. I have creative cling for many of mine, but I'm going to adhesive more and more. To use cling, one side is very sticky and one side is the "cling". Just put your rubber on the sticky side and trim it to fit. The cling side will now cling to an acrylic block.

To use an adhesive, just apply a thin layer of adhesive (like Aileens Tack it over and over) to the back of the rubber and let it dry. You may need more than one coat. This will now stick to the acrylic block, but can also be removed easily. If the stamp looses it's stick, apply more adhesive.

And last but not least, you can use plain old double stick tape. Apply the tape directly on to an acrylic block. Stick the rubber to it and stamp away. The tape will loose it's sticky after awhile; just apply new tape and you're good to go.

These are the methods I'm aware of, but I'm sure someone else will fill you (and me too!) in on any other methods.

HTH!

My Gallery
My Blog - My adventures in knitting
Old 01-27-2007, 09:32 AM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

I have both and don't mind either. I probably prefer the unmounteds a little more, prefer clear stamps most of all.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:35 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

How do you go about unmounting a su stamp without ruining it?
Old 01-27-2007, 09:36 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

PS- even if you unmount it how can you see where you are placing it since the rubber is not see thru like a CTMH stamp?
Old 01-27-2007, 09:39 AM   #20  
Embossing Fanatic

disadvantages to unmounting??

-maker's name/stamp name no longer on the stamp
-image no longer on stamp back, making it harder to see where the image will be, and what the image looks like - unless you take the time to stamp them all on pages to keep in a binder or something
-have to go hunting for something to mount stamp on every time you want to stamp, since the wood block is gone
Have to deal with stamp falling off whatever temporary mount it's on in the middle of your stamping, ruining the image
-no 'grab and stamp' anymore - now every time you want to stamp an image, it's a process! find image, find mount, mount, stamp, clean stamp, remove from mount, re-file...
Old 01-27-2007, 09:43 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissLyssa
PS- even if you unmount it how can you see where you are placing it since the rubber is not see thru like a CTMH stamp?
It aids placement SO much. You simply trim close to the image and voila, you no longer need a Stampamajig or any of those placement tools. Perfect positioning every time and so much faster than trying to figure out if things are straight. Also, a gridded clear acrylic block is perfect for sentiments. You just make sure the words are straight on the gridlines and you know it will be absolutely straight on the card!!
Old 01-27-2007, 09:44 AM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Tsukineko I think the company is has released a new product for using UM stamps. It is a sheet of cling, and you put it on your stamping blocks so that the block surface is sticky and not your stamps. I got the impression that this product provided some cushion, too.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:44 AM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

I have unmounted all of my SU stamps and I place them in CD cases. So that I can see the image I made an insert for the covers of the CD's and I place the labels on that paper so I always know what each stamp looks like. I put the name label on the spine of the CD case so when I open a drawer all the names are staring up at me and they are easy to find. HTH

My Gallery
Old 01-27-2007, 09:52 AM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

Just for the record, I have UM stamps that use EZ Mount, Alene's Tack it Over and Over, and clear stamps that self-cling. I have *never once* had problems with stamps falling off while I was trying to stamp with them. Some of the brands of clear stamps (All Night Media, Autumn Leaves) have not stayed on the handle as I robustly scrubbed the ink off of them, but again that is a small number of my clear stamps that have that issue, and again they stay put on the block while I am stamping.

I know going UM is not for everyone, but I don't like seeing myths being perpetuated about unmounted stamps that IMHO are not representative of using UM stamps.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:03 AM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

LynnAnne, sorry to hear you've had such a terrible experience with unmounted stamps. I think some organising might have helped you out with all the unmounted stamps you worked with, as I have all my acrylic handles in a little box with my ink pads, and it is for me not a laborious process at all to quickly grab a handle and put a stamp on it. For me it is still "grab n go". I always clean my stamps right after using them and before putting them away, whether they be wood mounts or otherwise, so that is not a problem for me.

Like I said, I know UM is not for everyone. And I haven't tried out all the clear stamp companies out there; it does pay to do some research before investing in clear stamps. Frex, I see SeeDee's clear stamp sets everywhere, and they seem very affordable, but I've heard they really aren't the greatest in terms of image quality and self-cling, so I've been avoiding them. IMHO, the extremely inexpensive clear stamps are about as representative of "unmounteds" as foam stamps are of "mounteds".

So that is one possible drawback of unmounted clear stamps -- it can get very complicated to know what to expect from different companies.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:34 AM   #26  
Inking Addict

I have both. I use unmounted dies for indexing my blocks of wood, as a) I have over 1100 of them, and my storage/cataloging system is easier to manage with so many images. and B) I like to see through the acrylic block to the wooden block underneath to make sure my images are centered.
For my personal collection, I prefer wooden. I like to know the makers name is on the stamp, and I enjoy each piece like a collectible (they cost as much as some figurine collectables!). Each stamp has its own personality too, because of the feel of the wood, and the way the rubber was positioned on the block. Mostly though, I really appreciate looking at my shelves to pick and choose which stamps I want to use for a particular project. I had custom shelving made, and my stamps sit on the shelves according to theme (gardening, bee's, florals, Noah's, birthday...etc) with the sayings there too, so its kind of like looking in the fridge to see what you have to use to make dinner... I can see the majority of my stamps all at once to choose what "ingredients" I want to use in my project. I have been collecting since 1992 though, and so I have tupperwares full of stamps (by theme). I still need more shelving, which I wouldnt need if they were all unmounted, but my stamps are a "collection" that I take pride in showing off...especially some of the stamps from no longer in business companies.
I think to each his own. I see a lot of positives about having them unmounted, especially for people with limited space, or who like to take their collection on vacation... There is a great money savings in there too (or not, because if you are like me, any money I save on stamping stuff goes to buy more stamping stuff!! heheh). I have had my unmounteds "Shift" on me, or fall off during stamping. Generally its because my block got dusty in between uses, so I just wipe both stamp and cloth down with a damp cloth...problem solved.
I think that its just up to the stamper, and what is important to them! I have seen some beautiful stamping/craft rooms with papers all aligned, rows of ribbon, and special displays that hold EVERY ink pad the person owns....(they would gasp in horror to see my messy workshop). The thing I find funny is that people who love their unmounteds...ABSOLUTELY LOVE their unmounteds, and same for the die hard wooden mount people. No one is going to convince anyone to "come over to their side".... its just a personal preference...so do like someone suggested, and unmount a couple, just to see what you think.... then let us know!
Old 01-27-2007, 10:52 AM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

I am with Sandi. I rarely pull out my unmounteds. I love my wood mounted stamps so much more, and I like the way it feels when I stamp. I want to pull out my stamp, stamp it, clean it and put it back. I am sure I have hundreds of unmounted stamps. They wouldn't sell for much, in my opinion. I hope SU never changes (and I hope they don't even go to just acrylic). I like wood.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:00 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

With the exception of Paper Salon cling stamps, I have never had any problem with them falling off unless I was scrubbing the heck out of them and not paying attention at the same time. I had to remount all the Paper Salon ones I got at the just-before-Christmas sale at Paper Zone. The clerk told me the reason they were 70% off was because the cling was crummy. I have been using unmounteds for about 12 years, although my whole collection was not unmounted until recently. I have never had any of the problems that have been mentioned. Additionally, if you want to know the company, just write it on the CD case or on the back of the stamp itself. You can write on the foam or the cling, etc.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:44 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

When I get a new set from TAC or SU, I carefully peel the rubber from the cushion, without separating the rubber. Then I lay the rubber down with the flat side on the desk. I ink up my Stayz On black and then lay the EZ Mount cling side down on top of the inked image(s) -- making sure to line up the lower left hand corners of the rubber and EZ Mount. I carefully pick up the EZ Mount and set that aside for a few hours to make sure the Stayz On dries. I carefully clean the rubber without separating it. Once the Stayz On is dry, I peel the liner off the sticky side and carefully stick this to the back of the rubber. I cut out the stamps and now I have the cling side indexed with the rubber image! I've been pretty lucky in that they seem to line up nicely. (Some of them.) LOL Even if they aren't lined up perfectly, at least I remember what the image is. I still can use my Stamp-a-ma-jig to position the image where I want it.

Kimberly
Old 01-27-2007, 01:16 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

I have gone unmounted and LOVE it! Room was an issue for me and I live in a hot spot of hurricane weather (Tx Gulf Coast) and didn't want to leave my 1500+ stamps behind when leaving for a hurricane. Not to pick on LynnAnne, but I wanted to use her post to tell of my experiences:

I use CD cases to hold my unmounted stamps. I appy the SU stickers to the front of the case.

image no longer on stamp back, making it harder to see where the image will be, and what the image looks like - unless you take the time to stamp them all on pages to keep in a binder or something
Once again, I put the SU sticker on the CD case, I do have a notebook of all my images though, this is something I started way before going unmounted. I copy the sticker page at work when I get a new stamp set.

have to go hunting for something to mount stamp on every time you want to stamp, since the wood block is gone
I keep my stamping desk organized and have a basket that all my blocks are in. No trouble to find if you keep them all in one place!

Have to deal with stamp falling off whatever temporary mount it's on in the middle of your stamping, ruining the image
I have NEVER had my stamp fall off while stamping

no 'grab and stamp' anymore - now every time you want to stamp an image, it's a process! find image, find mount, mount, stamp, clean stamp, remove from mount, re-file...
I guess I am just a neat stamper. All my images are neatly organized in CD cases (no different than keeping in the bulky SU boxes), mounts right next to me, I have always stamped an image, cleaned the stamp and put up before moving on. I can't stand to see inky stamps sitting on a table waiting for the owner to clean them! Plus, it's okay to own several blocks of the same size if you are inclined to stamp that way.

HTH!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LynnAnne
disadvantages to unmounting??

-image no longer on stamp back, making it harder to see where the image will be, and what the image looks like - unless you take the time to stamp them all on pages to keep in a binder or something
-have to go hunting for something to mount stamp on every time you want to stamp, since the wood block is gone
-no 'grab and stamp' anymore - now every time you want to stamp an image, it's a process! find image, find mount, mount, stamp, clean stamp, remove from mount, re-file...
SCS Member #772
My Gallery
Old 01-27-2007, 01:44 PM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi!
I have to chime in as a fan of unmounteds. It took me two years of waffling back and forth, but once I went unmounted (I unmounted 6,000 images over the course of a year) and I sure wish I'd done it sooner.

I've never had a stamp fall off the mount, but I can see how it happens. I do use Aileen's tack it over and over. I did discover that when unmounting the foam mounted stamps be sure to get that last layer of adhesive off, sometimes it's hard to see, otherwise the unmounted die may curl. I had a lot of SU's older images from their foam mounted days. But now they're unmounted, neatly trimmed and so easy to use.

I have 4 of each size block I use that way I can have multiple images mounted and ready to stamp at one time.

My husband was making the argument that our daughter, at the time age 7, would not be able to make this work. She walked over to her binder of images, picked out an image, stuck it to the block, stamped away, cleaned and put everything away. She told her dad, "See Dad, if I can do it you can do it." LOL!!!

Seriously, I do suggest more than one block/handle of each size that does make things easier.

I don't plan on reselling, so I don't worry about that end of things.

It's interesting to hear the different opinions, they were a big help in my decision to go unmounted.

Good Luck with your decision.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:04 PM   #32  
Stampin' Fool

Default Please post pictures of your UM storage areas.

I have been on the fence on whether to UM my stamps or not. I just put all of my TAC stamps in CD cases, and I'm so happy with the results and obviously the compact storage. I have a ton of SU stamps, and I'm so tempted.
I read through this thread, and am thrilled to hear way more advantages than disadvantages.
I'm also pleased to know that so many of you have done this with your SU stamps. I'm wondering if some of you, who have UM SU stamps, would mind posting pictures of your storage area. I'd love to see, the difference between my 3 bookcases, a linen closet and several boxes full of holiday sets (and that's just my stamps) compared to your CD cases stored so compactly.
Thanks in advance.
Dina
Old 01-27-2007, 02:27 PM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

I might have about 30 sets left that are still on wood blocks! Everything else is off the block and off the cushion!

I'm bare, right to the rubber! Stamps great everytime, easy to maintain and keep clean.

They take up even less room without the cushion!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Old 01-27-2007, 02:32 PM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

I also have about 2-3 of each size block. It helps when stamping with friends or doing a project where you will be using images more than once. I have them in acrylic picture frame box with small ones in front and big ones in back. I also like the fact that because this all takes up so much less space, I don't end up stamping surrounded by stacks of stamps all over the place. Also, at certain times of year, I just put all my occasion stamps in a little book shelf right on my table. Right now all my Valentine stamps are right in front of me all the time thanks to this method! I spend probably one tenth the time I used to spend looking for certain stamps. I use a more varied selection that I used to also.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:36 PM   #35  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by kphorse
I might have about 30 sets left that are still on wood blocks! Everything else is off the block and off the cushion!

I'm bare, right to the rubber! Stamps great everytime, easy to maintain and keep clean.

They take up even less room without the cushion!

Curious - what do you use to create the cling with out the ez mount foam?

My Gallery
Old 01-27-2007, 03:26 PM   #36  
Gallery Gazer

And how do you store them -- in envelopes?
Old 01-28-2007, 07:09 AM   #37  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks for all the input---
I'm thinking I will try a couple and see how I like it--thanks for the advice.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:17 AM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissLyssa
How do you go about unmounting a su stamp without ruining it?
Instructions here (about 3/4 way down the page).

http://www.stampandgo.com/cartMOUNTINGSUPPLIES.html
Old 01-28-2007, 07:18 AM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by guidinggirl
Curious - what do you use to create the cling with out the ez mount foam?
They have vinyl cling, which is a clear piece of vinyl, one side with adhesive (that appears to the stamp).

Vinyl cling can be found here:

Old 01-28-2007, 07:19 AM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

And how do you store them -- in envelopes?
Some people use empty cd cases. I have my blocks and stamps stored on 8x11 panels that go into a regular 3 ring binder. I bought mine here: