Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Unmounted the Poll (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/unmounted-poll-225891/)

scrapmo 02-19-2007 12:38 PM

Unmounted the Poll

I have read many informative threads on unmounting. It seems there are a few options and thought a poll was in order before I give it a try.

It is a multi question poll so choose one option in each section. If you have any lessons learned I would love to hear them. Thanks.

Avoca Sue 02-19-2007 12:40 PM

Ummmmmm ... I can't see the poll.

JulieHRR 02-19-2007 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapmo
I have read many informative threads on unmounting. It seems there are a few options and thought a poll was in order before I give it a try.

It is a multi question poll so choose one option in each section. If you have any lessons learned I would love to hear them. Thanks.

Well, for starters, you have to actually have the poll button selected before you submit your thread so we can all see it . . .

Hope you know I'm just teasin' ya' . . . ;)

scrapmo 02-19-2007 12:41 PM

I was creating as you posted!

scrapmo 02-19-2007 12:42 PM

Sseriously is there a way to complete the poll before the thread gets out there? I can never figure that out.

JulieHRR 02-19-2007 12:42 PM

Quote:

I was creating as you posted!

Aaaah, there we go! ;)

Avoca Sue 02-19-2007 12:46 PM

I like the EZ mount, but then I'm kinda new to unmounted.

AddictedScramper 02-19-2007 01:32 PM

I use cling cushion, but it is the same as EZ mount. They are just the brand name for it. :)

scrapmo 02-19-2007 02:59 PM

So the sticky goes on the stamp?

mnhyrkas 02-19-2007 04:56 PM

I do many of these methods- I love EZ mounted/cling foam stamps, but many I have not transferred to that because I'm lazy. :lol: So, I just use double stick tape (tack the index onto the foam, then use the double stick tape). Many of my stamp foam are already a little sticky from removing them from a wooden block. Try out a few of the methods for yourself and see which you prefer. You could start out small, like the $1 stamps.

jtax 02-19-2007 05:00 PM

I use ez mount on the unmounted stamps I have. I have not unmounted my wood mounted stamps and have no plans to, but have purchased some sheets of rubber stamps which I use with the EZ cling.

lnl96 02-19-2007 08:50 PM

I voted TIOO, but actually it's a combo of the above choices. If a stamp was originally wood mounted, I keep it on its foam; many times there's enough sticky left to use as is. If not, I apply TIOO. I also have a few from TAC on the EZ Mount (since the EZ Mount comes with their stamps). What it really comes down to is that for me, since I'm currently living overseas, it's easier to bring a couple of bottles of TIOO to China with me than to try to worry about bringing enough sheets of EZ Mount - not to mention that TIOO is a lot cheaper than EZ Mount. And the tape just seems like too much of a hassle to me. Just my opinion!

maryjo2 02-19-2007 09:03 PM

I also voted TIOO. I do just the same as InI96. If it was wood mounted, I zap it in the micro to unmount. If it is still sticky enough I leave it. if not I use TIOO. I dilute it half TIOO and half water, put in a mister bottle and spray the backs of the stamps. Love unmounted, never regrete it.

mcost 02-20-2007 10:58 AM

Sunday International has come out with a new THIN EZ mount. It is supposed to be used on stamps that already have foam mounted to the rubber (like SU stamps). I just ordered some sheets of it. I'm thinking that it will be like buying just the vinyl cling -- but I'm hoping it works better than the vinyl cling, which IMO does not work as well as the EZ mount cling. I'm really hoping it works because that will save me the step of pulling off the foam from the rubber, which is really time consuming!

jeanstamping2 02-20-2007 11:23 AM

Every Stamp set that I purchase from The Angel Company (TAC) comes with a FULL Sheet of Ez-mount Foam.

And you can purchase extra Foam sheets as well.

I also have some unmounted stamps that I find here and there...So I used Craft foam with Tack it over and over glue.

Works Great with Acrylic Blocks.

And I don't un-mount my Stampin' Up! stamps!!!

annieworm 02-20-2007 11:30 AM

A friend told me that she used Zig 2 Way glue on the backs of the stamps once she removed them from the foam.

I unmounted all of my stamps and tried it her way. It works well and the glue is cheap. You just put the glue on the rubber, let it dry then store.

scrapmo 02-20-2007 11:36 AM

What size blocks do people reccomend to get started?

cmcjen 02-20-2007 11:39 AM

I use the EZ Mount system. I have Unmounted about 80% of my SU stamps and I love the space it saves. I have all of them stored in CD cases. My dh also doesn't know exactly how many I have.

Jen

scrapmo 02-20-2007 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmcjen
I use the EZ Mount system. I have Unmounted about 80% of my SU stamps and I love the space it saves. I have all of them stored in CD cases. My dh also doesn't know exactly how many I have.

Jen

LOL you have uncovered my true motiviation. My DH bought me an amoire for my last birthday, then mentioned that when it was full, I couldn't buy anymore, well it is full....I really just need the space.:mrgreen:

lynnewithane 02-20-2007 03:06 PM

I haven't unmounted any stamps. However, I bought some from Cornish Heritage with the cling mount, I think. I just got some stamps from the Bella collection that are all the rage. I don't have them yet, but I saw in Michael's yesterday a Wacky Tac system. It had an acrylic block and a bottle of wacky tac. I suspect it may be like the TIOO, but I am not sure.

jeanstamping2 02-20-2007 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithane
I haven't unmounted any stamps. However, I bought some from Cornish Heritage with the cling mount, I think. I just got some stamps from the Bella collection that are all the rage. I don't have them yet, but I saw in Michael's yesterday a Wacky Tac system. It had an acrylic block and a bottle of wacky tac. I suspect it may be like the TIOO, but I am not sure.

I just did a google search for this Wacky Tac stuff and it said it is much like the Tack it over and over glue.

Most stampers use it more than the TIO&O glue.

It's a little more money that TIO&O but hey if it works who care's

dianerh 02-20-2007 08:14 PM

Do you mean Creative Cling? Vinyl Cling? Those are two very different things, and could affect the way I (and others) vote--i.e. the outcome...

Shafey 02-20-2007 08:27 PM

I don't own any unmounted stamps.
I have 3 tackle boxes full of mounted stamps and would like to purchase the unmounted for space issues.
Where do I start?
What should I buy to be able to use the unmounted stamps?
Do they all need a foam back for use?
Any help would be great
Thanks

Mahloumel 02-21-2007 05:19 AM

Someone wisely recommended starting off by unmounting cheapie stamps. Just thought I'd pipe up that some of the cheapies can be very difficult and recalcitrant if you are trying to get the rubber off the foam, much moreso than other stamps. Not all dollar stamps are so difficult, but some of them can be. Didn't want you to get turned off of unmounting from one bad experience! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithane
...I saw in Michael's yesterday a Wacky Tac system.

Holy cats! Even Mikes is getting in on the rubber stamp unmounting! They've had the same old boring crap in their stamping aisle for so long, I can't believe they'd start carrying such "progressive" products!

KimberlyinMN 02-21-2007 06:02 AM

I voted for the EZ Mount stuff. I tried using regular vinyl cling (Vinyl Grafix) from Michaels but it did not stick as well.

(On a side note, for some strange reason I can not type an apostrophe while using Firefox. It just opens a "quick find" toolbar at the bottom of the browser window. What a pain!)

Kimberly

scpd 02-21-2007 06:25 AM

You didn't offer an "other adhesive" option, so I didn't vote for either the TIO&O or double-stick tape. I use restickable gluestick made by Scotch -- big red & white tube, available at most office-supply places, usually near the Post-its. You only have to wait 90 seconds for it to set up properly before slapping your rubber on your block and stamping away! I'm impatient... ;)

I've also found the foam cushion to be cumbersome and unnecessary, so I don't use it, either. If an image isn't stamping properly, I cushion my stamping surface with several sheets of scratch paper. Works for me!

Happy trails....

Sue

denidill 02-21-2007 08:19 AM

I've just started buying unmounted stamps (I'm LOVING the unmounted system); so far, I use double sided tape with the Bellas. It works great. Then with my others, I did get the EZ foam sheet and that has been working fab. I would like SU! to offer mounted or unmounted. I'd by them all unmounted, if they did. Not sure if I will ever take my current stamps off their wood blocks. I don't have that many. YET.:cool:

scrapmo 02-21-2007 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shafey
I don't own any unmounted stamps.
I have 3 tackle boxes full of mounted stamps and would like to purchase the unmounted for space issues.
Where do I start?
What should I buy to be able to use the unmounted stamps?
Do they all need a foam back for use?
Any help would be great
Thanks

Hey - I was born and raised in Billerica!!

scrapmo 02-21-2007 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dianerh
Do you mean Creative Cling? Vinyl Cling? Those are two very different things, and could affect the way I (and others) vote--i.e. the outcome...

I didn't know there was a difference, what is the difference?

scrapmo 02-21-2007 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel
Someone wisely recommended starting off by unmounting cheapie stamps. Just thought I'd pipe up that some of the cheapies can be very difficult and recalcitrant if you are trying to get the rubber off the foam, much moreso than other stamps. Not all dollar stamps are so difficult, but some of them can be. Didn't want you to get turned off of unmounting from one bad experience! :)

Holy cats! Even Mikes is getting in on the rubber stamp unmounting! They've had the same old boring crap in their stamping aisle for so long, I can't believe they'd start carrying such "progressive" products!

You know it isn't so much the stamps off the blocks, it is getting the stamps on the acrylics, and blocks themselves. I don't have a LSS, and the big box craft stores don't seem to have what I need. I'll need to order online I guess. I just don't like to order something that I haven't seem IRL.

jeanstamping2 02-21-2007 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dianerh

Diane. Since most people do not know what Creative Cling is they call it Ez-mount which is the same thing.

TAC used to call it Ez-mount Foam up until a couple of years ago.

As for the Other cling stuff. I wouldn't use it...Cause it does loosse it cling after awhile.

I had some stamps that I had mounted this way...And I had to pull the stuff off and re-do it with Ez-mount foam.

jeanstamping2 02-21-2007 10:36 AM

Quote:

I didn't know there was a difference, what is the difference?

Creative Cling is What The Angel Company calls it!
(TAC use to call it Ez-mount foam up until a couple of years ago) But it still Ez-mount Foam)
Ez-mount Foam is the same thing.
Cling Vinly is like the Window Cling. It's Clear.

wilko_scramps 02-21-2007 12:00 PM

For unmounting sets that have already been wood-mounted, I pull off the rubber, clean it, and affix it to EZ Mount.

For new sets, I trim the stamp as I would if I were going to wood-mount, but I stick it to vinyl cling instead. Then I trim the vinyl around the stamp. Remember to leave 1/8" cling sticking out. Apparently this allows for expansion and contraction without causing warping.

I put the labels on the back of clear cd cases so that I can see exactly where I want to place the stamp for storing. I trim the stamp set title/# sticker to fit the end of the case so that I know what's in it when stored in the racks.

Shafey 02-21-2007 04:17 PM

Quote:

Hey - I was born and raised in Billerica!!

Moved here around 12 years ago from Winthop, MA
I still do miss the sidewalks and street lights!
Wasn't sure where to post my question about how to mount
I was able to find a ton of info on another site so I think have a good idea of how to proceed.

Kath 02-21-2007 05:49 PM

http://www..com/stampibrary.html

I use this system and love it! No worry about losing my stamps through a cd hole. I can get up to five SU sets in one case with an insert. I can get three inserts to one storage sheet. I put the stamps on the front and back cover and one side of the insert. Once I get to the mini sets, I will probably be able to get more sets to a case.