Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-24-2004, 12:19 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making Memories Scrapbooking Question

I was at the Local Scrapbooking Store and spent a lot of time looking at the Making Memories section. I am interested in the Magnetic Stamps and Dies. I'm just wondering if anyone else has them and if you like and use them regularly (worht the investment). Also have you used the dies with the SU metal tags? I have people asking me what I want for Christmas already, and that would be a good "tip" to give to someone if I would actually use them. TIA for your time.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2004, 01:03 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

How funny---I JUST bought the Time & Date Stamp set not more than 3 hours ago!!! I've been wanting this set for quite some time, and I just bought the SU! Everyday Flexible Phrases set but really wanted the date stamp to go with it.

I really only played for a little while to try it, so I'm no pro but this is what I think:

***They stamp wonderfully, nice and clear. Also, there's a little line on the base so you can easily line up the stamps.

***The magnet that holds the stamps to the base isn't very strong, so when I was cleaning them the stamps slide off of the stamp base so I know these are gonna need to be cleaned by holding them between your fingers or with the little pair of tweezers that come with it, and they are pretty small. But, the magnet was strong enough to hold the stamps when stamping--they didn't slide.

***My most valuable lesson today with these: I'm NOT an unmounted stamp kinda gal. Don't get me wrong, there's lots of options with these, and I really wanted them to put dates on tags, photos, etc. and they're cute for that. But, I'm spoiled I guess by just pulling out a stamp, stamping, cleaning and be done. These do have to be taken out, put on, and then taken off and put away, and did I say these are small?!?!?!?

I used the 40% off coupon at Michael's and for $13.00 (this set is normally $20) I think this set is worth it, considering all of the stamps you get with it. I was gonna buy one of the other sets that they have and didn't because I wanted to try them first.

HTH,
Natalie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2004, 01:36 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

yes and dont throw the plastic peice that fits in the metal case away... :shock: LOL i did this and my peices slide all over and its a pain...This summer I used pinefeathers date stamp (just like mine) but she kept the little plastic peice to put the numbers and stuff in and it worked a ton better then my peices that fly all over and dont fit in right LOL

Christy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2004, 02:43 PM   #4  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it make date stamps like they used to have at libraries when they physically stamperd your books?
Can you just get something similar at an office store or am I thinking of the wrong thing?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2004, 04:40 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

yeah it sort of like those...cept its not in a little roll around thing on the handle...(that make sense?) all of the numbers, months, occasions are sepereate little rubber peices...

its got the full month, or the abervation, its got numbers so you can make your own years or date, years , seasons, christmas thanksgiving, birthday...they are pretty cool compared to the old library ones that just have the month and date

Christy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2004, 06:06 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I have the MM Magnetic Alphabet - Rummage style. They work fine, but they do slide around when you are CLEANING them. I did a wonderful Bday invite for my nephew's party and I did ALL the info on them with the MM alphabet. If you are the kind of person who cannot stand the thought of taking off the rubber magnet part from the metal tin, placing it on the holder/metal block, then inking it up, stamping it, cleaning it right away, then putting it all away - then this is not for you. I happen to be very anal about my stamps and do not mind the extra detail and steps it takes to stamp this way, after all, I wanted to be able to stamp out all kinds of phrases instead of having to buy a bunch of them.

See my sample by clicking below:

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

I hope this helps in your decision!

MrsDiffey

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/MrsDiffey
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2004, 07:16 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

I also have the Alphabet Set - Rummage style. I agree with the previous posts that it definitely takes some getting used to. I have had a few issues with it because the magnet that comes with it is not large enough for me to stamp the phrases I want all at once (baby names, etc.). I have to take everything off, put on different letters, then position correctly, etc. I guess I bought it thinking that it would be more simple than that and it is - but only for smaller words, etc. In addition, although there are multiples of each letter, I didn't actually have enough "t's" for the project I bought it for, which brought about the having to stamp and re-stamp issue. I guess I should have expected that when trying to stamp "Itty Bitty Witty" - our son's nickname!

Also, I, too, am an AR (anal retentive! :oops: ) stamper and found that I had to trim almost all of the stamps (and there's a million of them!) in order for them to sit together closely on the magnet.

By far the biggest issue is keeping all the letters in order in the tin (see above note stating that I am AR ). When you're looking at the rubber side the letters are backwords (obviously) and I have to keep them in order to avoid using the wrong letters and so that I can find the letters quickly. Cleaning and putting them away does take FOREVER. And when I say forever, I really mean FOREVER AND A DAY.

Although it sounds like I really hate this set, I don't. It is great for just a word or two and the size of the font is a little smaller than most of the SU fonts, so it works for projects where that is the look I want. It is a lot more work than I expected, though, so I'm not sure that I would buy it again.

Um, so I guess that's my dissertation on the MM magnetic alphabet stamps. It's so long that I felt the need to proofread it. It's like a whole $1 instead of 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2004, 02:48 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

I appreciate the tips. I kind of figured that it could be a pain. I have been told that I have "the patience of Job", so I think that I will be okay. I'm thinkin that I am going to add some of these to my Christmas list. Hey, can you really go wrong with more stamps. :P
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2004, 03:43 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

Just a tip - if you're having trouble with the magnetic "handle", try acrylic blocks that you'd use for unmounted stamps. That's what I use and I can make my word as long as I want. I just use double-stick tape and it works great.

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes