Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-01-2009, 06:36 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink What colored pencils do you recommend?

Hi guys. I have rediscovered stamps and I love coloring with pencils. I am not interested in the copics right now or gamsol. I normally buy stamps with small amounts of coloring. I would love to purhase some nice pencils. Which brand and count do you recommend?

Also, what does shading and blending mean? How would I do this without mineral spirits? I wouldn't even know what colors to blend.

Thanks so much,
Candie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 06:48 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!

Although they are a little pricey for pencils, but not in comparison to Copics, I love my Prismacolor pencils! Here is my tutorial for using them with baby oil:

http://uselesscrafts.blogspot.com/20...-tutorial
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 06:51 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Mississippi McGyver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I use Prisma colored pencils with the baby oil too. I love mine. Not a day goes by that I don't use mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 06:52 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

I second the choice of Prismacolors. They're readily available (every art supply store has them, and Michaels even has a fair selection). You can blend and shade with their own colorless blender pencil, too. I did a blog post about it here: http://createdfrompaper.blogspot.com...s-blender.html . I also use baby oil sometimes, like Diane, but tend to stick with my colorless blender pencil because I can do that anywhere (no spills, lol).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 07:14 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!
Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by MariLynnView Post
I use Prisma colored pencils with the baby oil too. I love mine. Not a day goes by that I don't use mine.
I think my pencils are permenantly attached to my hands. I have not used anything else to color with since I bought them!

I have also taught 2 class at my LSS about this and it has been requested that I teach one more in May. Everyone has loved it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 07:27 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks so much. I will check out the prisma pencils. What type do you recommend : premier or lightfast? or a different kind?

Off to check the links.

Thanks,
Candie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 07:41 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I recommend the premier pencils! There are links at the end of my tutorial on where to purchase them and the necessary supplies! Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 07:44 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been using the kooh-i-nor pencils and they are very nice. They blend beautifully and are inexpensive (about $30 for a 24 set at Mikes in Canada). The downside is that there are only 48 colours and I have only seen the 24 sets. I have heard of some reviews that they are better to work with than Prismas - even Gina K uses them so I've heard. I have also seen artist quality Laurentian coloured pencils. The set I saw was a 60pc for about $35. I haven't used them tho. I still use my crayola pencil crayons as well and get really good results. Here's a card I did with only crayola pencil crayons and oms:
Attached Thumbnails
What colored pencils do you recommend?-little-boy.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 07:48 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Diane,

I had to pull myself away from your blog. I LOVE your cards. I am going to try the baby oil and stumps. Your cards are great- I really want some of those Riley stamps. Should I buy a 36 or 72 set of pencils or wait until I can afford the 120 set? Thanks so much for all of the help. Do you ever do watercolor?

thanks,
Candie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 07:50 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Jennifer,

I really learned a lot from your tutorial. I am going to try it with the blender and the aqua brush. I feel so much better from this post and I am excited to go play. Thanks for sharing.

Candie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 08:06 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

I use both Prismacolor and Koh-I-Noor pencils and a goo gone pencil. I've never tried using a blender pen with them, though. I like the Koh-I-Noor's better because they seem like they are smoother when laying the color down. But, I've only seen the 24 color set; I got mine at Michaels.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 08:12 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
I've been using the kooh-i-nor pencils and they are very nice. They blend beautifully and are inexpensive (about $30 for a 24 set at Mikes in Canada). The downside is that there are only 48 colours and I have only seen the 24 sets. I have heard of some reviews that they are better to work with than Prismas - even Gina K uses them so I've heard. I have also seen artist quality Laurentian coloured pencils. The set I saw was a 60pc for about $35. I haven't used them tho. I still use my crayola pencil crayons as well and get really good results. Here's a card I did with only crayola pencil crayons and oms:
I don't have the kooh-i-nor pencils but I hear GREAT things about them. Gina K recommends them because they are less expensive and if you need to fill in the gaps with other colors, you could use Prismas to do that. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 08:47 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladybug4233View Post
Diane,

I had to pull myself away from your blog. I LOVE your cards. I am going to try the baby oil and stumps. Your cards are great- I really want some of those Riley stamps. Should I buy a 36 or 72 set of pencils or wait until I can afford the 120 set? Thanks so much for all of the help. Do you ever do watercolor?

thanks,
Candie
Candie~

Thanks for the compliment on my blog! Feel freet o stay as long as you like! LOL!!

I would get the biggest set of pencils that you can afford. If you get anything smaller than the set of 72, they do not include any grays. I would buy a couple individual one. I would recommend Cool Gray 30% and Warm Gray 50%. They are great for making the shadows below your images.

I would also grab a few of the colorless blender pencils. You can use these INSTEAD of the stumps and baby oil. I like to use them on smaller images such as Bellas. Plus it is easier to keep a sharp point on your pencil. I used them on this card, Yummalicious. There is a slight difference between the two but it is not that noticeable.

I love Riley!!! I started using some of the Hannas too. All of their stamps are wonderful!

I really have not played much with watercoloring. I have used my watercolor crayons and pencils but I fell in love with the Prismacolor pencils after using them once! I think I was a little heavy handed when I used the aquapainter and I saturated the paper (even watercolor paper). It irritated me! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 08:55 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Diane,

Thanks again for helping me out. I don't own any stamping bellas but I know which one I will be getting first. That card is fantastic. I am going to Hobby Lobby to see if they have the coloreless blenders. It is a pencil right?

Do you mainly use these or the baby oil and and stumps? Is there a certain baby oil or stumps that you recommend?
:pThanks for answering all of my questions. I am going to play this afternoon with everything I have learned.

Candie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 09:20 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Diane,

Thanks again for helping me out. I don't own any stamping bellas but I know which one I will be getting first. That card is fantastic. I am going to Hobby Lobby to see if they have the coloreless blenders. It is a pencil right?

Do you mainly use these or the baby oil and and stumps? Is there a certain baby oil or stumps that you recommend?
:pThanks for answering all of my questions. I am going to play this afternoon with everything I have learned.

Candie
The colorless blender is a pencil with a light brown woodgrain on the outside. I mostly use the stumps and baby oil. Make sure you get a variety pack of stump sizes (I think there are 4 sizes). They are cheap. Also get a sandpaper block that looks like this. This is used to keep the tip pointy on the stumps and to remove color from the stump when you are changing colors.

I simply use regular Johnson's Baby Oil. I bought a small trial size bottle and it will last forever. I put a small felt square in a small covered container (like the 4 oz Gladware ones) and I add the baby oil to the felt. When you are blending your colors, I just dab the stump onto the felt as needed. When I am done coloring, I just cover the container and it is ready to use until next time!

Have fun shopping! Bring your coupons too, never pay full price, especially for Prismacolor pencils.

Happy coloring!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 02:36 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have a lot of different colored pencil brands, Prismacolor, Polychromos, Koh-i-noor, and most recently I found an awesome deal on Lyra pencils at ASW. Best price I have found. They are excellent pencils, so smooth and soft!
I admit it, I am a colored pencil hoarder! Love them all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 03:57 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatarinaMView Post
I have a lot of different colored pencil brands, Prismacolor, Polychromos, Koh-i-noor, and most recently I found an awesome deal on Lyra pencils at ASW. Best price I have found. They are excellent pencils, so smooth and soft!
I admit it, I am a colored pencil hoarder! Love them all!
I got a set of Lyra skin tone pencils yesterday at HL w/ 40% coupon. I already have almost an entire set of Prisma pencils so I don't know why I think I needed anymore except that, I too, am a hoarder!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 04:40 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Prismacolor premier pencils...it's the only way to go. Wish I had purchased them a long time ago. They are wonderful.
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

I love my Prismas!! I just got some Koo-I-Noor,but I 've only used them once., so can't say whether I like them or not.
I got my first Prisma in blue to outline my images, and loved the
creamieness of it, I then got the 48 set for Christmas. But I've been buying them separately at www.Dickblick.com. If you buy 12 or more, they are $0.86 each. I haven't found them anywhere else cheaper.
I also use Gamsol with them. I love them!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 07:47 PM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

I too LOVE my prismas. I also buy mine from dickblick.com. They are great for blending. I really like using the colorless blender pencil when coloring in the car. It works out great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 07:53 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 671 Likes on 422 Posts

I am also a pencil fan,

have every color of the prisma premiers, sometimes you can find the retired colors in whole in the wall tiny art stores when you travel too... ( so keep an eye out )

one thing i keep seeing people say is they use the colorless blender pencils to blend, but really what that does is burnishes the colors together. ( you have to push hard and you'll need something to brush the wax pieces off your image with)
and if the colors are dark you may need to spray it with like an krylon fixative spray when your done so you don't get an wax bloom...

one of the things i have been tinkering with with mine lately is using the prisma colorless blender MARKER to melt the pigments with... ( this is similar to what happens with the gamsol type blending but, less mess since its all contained in the marker) (this marker is stinky though) and you'll need to have enough color on the image to make it work, if you've only done one layer very light it will work more like a bleach pen... and remove you color.

oh and that memento tuxedo black ink pad that they recommend for people who color with copics if your going to melt pigments with the blender pen this ink pad is perfect for that too... no smearing.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 07:55 PM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

Wink Colored Pencils

I also use Prisma pencils and LOVE them. I also like their double edged markers and bought them, from the company suggested above. I live here in Mexico so do not know what Gamsol is I may pruchase some as I am heading to the states in a week. I sure will enjoy shopping as there is nothing for stamping here in Mexico.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 07:58 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 671 Likes on 422 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudreyroseView Post
I also use Prisma pencils and LOVE them. I also like their double edged markers and bought them, from the company suggested above. I live here in Mexico so do not know what Gamsol is I may pruchase some as I am heading to the states in a week. I sure will enjoy shopping as there is nothing for stamping here in Mexico.

gamsol is like an brand name of "odorless mineral spirits"
you should be able to find this in an craft chain store with the paints?

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 08:34 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks everyone. I have been researching and shopping all day and I am ready to dive in. Now I just have to decide which set of pencils to buy- 48, 72, or 120????? What do you have?

Thanks,
Candie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 02:56 AM   #25  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Thanks everyone. I have been researching and shopping all day and I am ready to dive in. Now I just have to decide which set of pencils to buy- 48, 72, or 120????? What do you have?

Thanks,
Candie
Well, let's see. First I bought the watercolor 12 pack, still have those. Then I got the Premier 12 pack and passed those on to my DD when I bought the Premier 48 pack which came with a 12 pack of Veri-Thin pencils. I recently purchased the new color 12 pack. Then I decided I NEEDED the rest of the 132 colors, so I bought them individually from Ultrecht's open stock. So my advice is to buy the largest set you are able to because you will soon find out you want/need them all. You're gonna love them no matter how many you get. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 05:18 AM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

I am a huge fan of the prismas as well - I have every color and I find each of the colors "necessary"!! haha They are wonderful - I myself prefer the OMS (gamsol) over the baby oil believe it or not the oil smell is worse to me and I don't find the mineral spirits have any odor. Everytime you use your pencils you get better and better. Good luck and have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 06:07 AM   #27  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

I'm with Diane on this, buy the largest set you can afford. Shop eBay. I keep hearing people who have snagged a 120 set for around $50. There's an excellent thread about the pencils and where people have bought them here - Forums at Splitcoaststampers

It's got a couple of links to color charts you can print and color for reference.

V
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 08:15 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree buy the largest set you can afford you wont be sorry once you get used to them, 90% of my gallery is colored with them.
Reply With Quote Likes