Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Types of flowers and trees for inventory sheet (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/types-flowers-trees-inventory-sheet-619863/)

CraftyMel2 08-28-2017 05:00 AM

Types of flowers and trees for inventory sheet

I finally decided to start an inventory sheet of my stamps and was wondering if there is any sort of cross reference out there for trees, leaves and flower types. For instance, in SU's Simply Soft - there is what I am labeling as a dandelion but what are the others? Is one Dogwood? :confused: PTI's Peaceful Garden - the only ones I know are bamboo and grass! :lol:

While SU is not my personal favorite, I know that they are a SCS favorite so I am thinking there might be a list for their sets. It's a place to start. Any help is appreciated! Thanks

dini 08-29-2017 03:31 AM

Interesting question! I don't have many SU sets, but I have lots of floral images, and I do label them in Evernote as 'floral' and by the specific type of flower. It might be fun to start a stamp image plant/flower ID thread!

Cook22 08-29-2017 04:29 AM

I remember there was a thread way way back when someone was trying to ID the leaves in a set. 

Definitely no dogwood in that set you mention, and the one you're calling dandelion is more like what Stampendous call an agapanthus. Sometimes I think flowers are just generic flowers and not  necessarily a specific botanical rendition. 

CraftyMel2 08-29-2017 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22 (Post 21526036)
 the one you're calling dandelion is more like what Stampendous call an agapanthus. . 

Well, there ya go!  HA!  I have just about everything as "Flower" or "Wild Flower" and trees and leaves are just "Tree" and "Leaf".  It is not the end of the world that I don't know, I just figured it would be nice so that if someone, for instance, loves Agapanthus'!  I would want to make them a card with that and not put a dandelion on there :)  

CraftyMel2 08-29-2017 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dini (Post 21526013)
II do label them in Evernote as 'floral' and by the specific type of flower.

Feel free to share with me what you have in your file!!  Right now the only flowers that have an ID are the roses :)  

JBgreendawn 08-29-2017 07:14 AM

are the only botanical's you are looking to identify from SU?

because, I tend to do the same thing as Dina in evernote mine get tagged as say flower and Tulip or what it is specifically and or silhouette if I cannot color it. (most of mine tend to be line drawings to color)

eta the thought I have about this is the people who have a good guess what something is need specific set names to give you answers. ( not everyone owns all the same stamps kwim? ) so, you could end up with more info if you make a list of what you are looking for. then others could add in theirs if needed.

ETA #2 I have flowers from Unity that are really just tagged as flowers haha

dini 08-29-2017 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftyMel2 (Post 21526064)

Feel free to share with me what you have in your file!!  Right now the only flowers that have an ID are the roses  

According to Evernote I have 660 floral stamps... so that could be scary.

Doris B 08-29-2017 08:12 AM

Oh I am the same as you it would be nice to know what some of the flowers are because certain ones have a symbol for a birth month or a disease or province, state or country and could be used more appropriately.
I really don't know my flowers either, just the basics.
another thing I would like to know is what some of the birds are in some stamps

dini 08-29-2017 08:31 AM

Post the ones you're curious about - let's see how many we can identify! :)

CraftyMel2 08-29-2017 10:10 AM

Thanks!!  My list is at home but, off the top of my head, I know there is SU: Simply Soft, Lovely as a Tree, French Foliage, Bloom with Hope, Serene Silhouettes.  PTI: Peaceful Garden, Botanical Silhouettes  MFT: Grand Peaceful Wildflowers    That's all I can think of right now.  :)  Have at it!!

JBgreendawn 08-29-2017 10:41 AM

In the bloom with hope set ( SU) 
I would say the top right corner is a gerber type daisy but, 
you could color it in sunflower colors also. ( it could go either way depending on what you color it) 

the one to the left of that so center top kinda looks like what you
 would see on a peony if you were laying on the ground looking up.

the one in the lower left corner looks kinda like an anemone to me.
 (but, again you could color this one in daisy colors fairly easily ) 

the largest bloom in that set ( lower right corner) almost looks like a marigold to me. 
but, you could probably get away with coloring it like a peony too? 

the leaf stem almost looks like a rosebush cluster of leaves to me. 

sketchy type images are harder because of that artistic license of them. 

marymint 08-29-2017 11:52 AM

First, for me, I'd label it what I thought I could remember it by.... memory thing. As in, if I see a leaf that to me looks like an oak leaf, I'd call it an oak leaf. A daisy, a daisy. That doesn't help you, but it's how it would work best for me.

I'll take the easy ones:
Lovely as a tree:
far right tree: oak tree, although the oaks in N TX look different, I'd still call this an oak

Big set of leaves: oak

far left tree: you could label it evergreen, Christmas tree, fir tree....

I'd probably label the top trees something like: row of trees, or row of bare branch trees (as opposed to a row of evergreen trees-other stamps).

French foliage:
Upper right leaf: oak leaf
Upper left leaf: in my mind I think of an aspen leaf, so that's what I would label it. A redbud leaf looks much like that too. Someone may have a better answer.
Lower leaf: ???

I did look up "leaves in France" and they do have oak and aspen trees. Learned something new.

CraftyMel2 08-29-2017 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marymint (Post 21526257)
First, for me, I'd label it what I thought I could remember it by.... memory thing. As in, if I see a leaf that to me looks like an oak leaf, I'd call it an oak leaf. A daisy, a daisy.

Right now I have the tree in Serene Silhouettes labeled as Serengeti Tree :) To me, every time I look at it I can almost see an elephant or something walking by! Might not be what SU had in mind when creating that one but that's what I see

JBgreendawn 08-30-2017 09:40 AM

I think a lot of it is eye of the beholder type thing and for you to see that if you were to add African plains animals to a scene with those tree's it will work for anyone who views the project kwim?

:)

susanbri 08-30-2017 10:14 AM

I think it depends how much of a gardener you are! Gardening is my other main hobby, and I love my flower borders, so for me, it's important that I name my flower stamps accurately when possible (some flower stamps are just generic flowers).

And it makes me kind of cranky when supplies are totally mis-named by manufacturers - eg. this stencil is called Poppy Stems, and there is no poppy that grows like that - these are definitely hollyhocks!!! But that is just me being botanically fussy and most of you will probably roll your eyes and say "who cares?"!!!

fionna51 08-30-2017 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dini (Post 21526159)

According to Evernote I have 660 floral stamps... so that could be scary.

That makes me afraid to count mine...even though I did donate a LOT to our mission team to take to Moldova.

fionna51 08-30-2017 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanbri (Post 21526770)
I think it depends how much of a gardener you are! Gardening is my other main hobby, and I love my flower borders, so for me, it's important that I name my flower stamps accurately when possible (some flower stamps are just generic flowers).

And it makes me kind of cranky when supplies are totally mis-named by manufacturers - eg. this stencil is called Poppy Stems, and there is no poppy that grows like that - these are definitely hollyhocks!!! But that is just me being botanically fussy and most of you will probably roll your eyes and say "who cares?"!!!

I'm with you 100% Susan. I seem to say, "What???" when I see someone name a hollyhock a poppy, or an 8 pointed shape a snowflake, or a coneflower a thistle.

I still shake my head over that "poppy stems". Someone wasn't thinking.

CraftyMel2 08-30-2017 05:17 PM

SU Love & SympathySU The Art of Life
PTI Botanical Silhouettes

Thanks everyone!!

dini 08-30-2017 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51 (Post 21526839)
I'm with you 100% Susan. I seem to say, "What???" when I see someone name a hollyhock a poppy, or an 8 pointed shape a snowflake, or a coneflower a thistle.

I still shake my head over that "poppy stems". Someone wasn't thinking.

My people. :)

Cook22 08-30-2017 06:43 PM

Love & Sympathy is listed in the index upload as "watercolor iris flower" and that would have been my first thought, stylised but most likely an iris. Art of Life I don't immediately identify as a specific flower. Those looser images without detail are more generic, IMO. I'd mentally label it a wildflower.

Doris B 08-31-2017 08:49 PM

Ok here is a few more to identify (All are Stampin' Up!)
Asian artistry
Natural Beauty
Simply Sketched
Butterfly Basics
Garden silhouettes
Flowers of Gratitude

Cook22 08-31-2017 11:28 PM

The flower in Simply Sketched is some type of poppy, I think. The leaf with berries I don't recognise as anything specific.Asian Artistry, the branch with blossoms is some type of cherry/plum, prunus family. The other one, I've considered that it looks like a stylised day lily, though I almost always colour it in iris colours because the blossom heads remind me of iris reticulata. I'll have to look at the index cards of the others as I'm less familiar with them.

Cook22 08-31-2017 11:32 PM

Flowers of Gratitude looks like a carnation or pink, something from the Dianthus family. Then there's a pansy/heartsease, and what is probably a wild rose or dog rose.

jeanne3579 10-26-2017 09:05 AM

I will have to go back and read all the responses, but before the thoughts leave my poor mind, I wanted to let you know how I do it. For those easily identified flowers (iris, daffodils, roses, poppies etc.), I'm sure you are fine. However, being a biology major, identifying and labeling is in my blood, so I like to sort further. For those that are weed-like, I categorize them as such and then go further into puffy (dill weed, queen ann lace, dandelions); flowery (agapanthus, alum); seedy; branchy; leafy and so on. Those like dogwood, fruit blossoms go into a group called berry blossoms. There are lots more and I don't want to take up anymore space, but if you want to PM me, I will give you all my categories and the actual set the SU stamp comes from. I have other companies, but you seem mostly interested in SU and I have lots!

jeanne3579 10-26-2017 09:53 AM

So much of this is personal---how they will be used, and what they will be remembered as. Each individual stamp's place is after the the descriptive colon.

Bloom With Hope: Center Top: poppy like
Right Top: daisy sunflower
Bottom Left: Daisy
Bottom Right: magnolia

Lovely As A Tree:
Row Of Trees: deciduous tree, bare trees- multiple
Fir Tree: evergreens, single
Oak Tree: deciduous trees, leafy trees- single
Oak Leaf and Acorn: deciduous trees, leafy trees- leaves and acorns
Fir Branch and cone: evergreens, boughs and cones

French Foliage:
Maple/Aspen
Oak
Elm?

Serene Silhouettes:
Flowers: weed-like, flowery
Trees: leafy trees- multiple
Branch: most likely with birds
Flowers and Butterfly in Circle: flowers, posy-like (kind of my catchall for 4-5 petaled)

Simply Soft:
Top: berry branches
Middle: weed-like, flowery (agapanthus)
Bottom: berry branches

jeanne3579 10-26-2017 10:02 AM

For Love and Sympathy as well as Art of Life, Cook22 and I are in complete agreement. I actually have categories called "Iris" and "Wildflowers" The leaf would go in one of the leaf drawers in a box hat has similar, solid leaves on a stem.

jeanne3579 10-26-2017 10:38 AM

Asian Artistry: Bird on Branch: bamboo (I cut them apart so I can use them separately)
Top Right Flowers: marigolds
Bottom Right Flowers: iris

Natural Beauty: (Don't have, but would put the flowers in berry branches
and the leaf in with leaves, single- outline)

Simply Sketched:
Flower: poppies
Leaves with Berries: sprigs- mistletoe

Butterfly Basics: (Don't have it---darn---but would put the leafy image with ferns and the flower itself looks somewhat like a morning glory, but would have to think about it as it really doesn't vine.

Garden Silhouettes:
Left: Weed-like- seedy
Center: Flowers, berry branch
Top Right: Flowers, Lilies
Bottom Right: Weed-like, Puffy- Dill Weed

Flowers of Gratitude: (Don't have but think the top flowers is a wild rose, the left flower is a carnation/marigold, maybe and then what could be a pansy or even a poppy)

Guess it is all really how you will use them or remember them. Some are quite easy to recognize and others are intentionally vague.

Doris B 10-28-2017 06:00 AM

Thanks so much!
pm'd you

jeanne3579 10-29-2017 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doris B (Post 21557128)
Thanks so much!
pm'd you

I replied to your PM, but haven't been notified that it has been received. Had some trouble at first as it was too long and I had to truncate it several times. Let me know if you got it or not and I'll resend it if need be. I have an error, I just realized, so one way or the other, I need to remedy that.

Doris B 10-31-2017 06:51 AM

Thanks i did get the info, I didn�t notice right away that it rejected since too long.
Thanks again!