Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-29-2007, 04:35 AM   #41  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think the pages were beautiful but I wouldn't have spent 760 US on it either. Than again...most of us on here wouldnt spend that because we could probably make the same if not better...HOWEVER...having said that...if you were not the talented people that you are...and you really really wanted them...would you spend a good buck on them? (maybe not 760 dollars but a good buck anyway)
I think we are looking at it through the eyes of crafters...but non crafty people (of which I am one, really..LOL..I tell everyone I was craft challenged until I was introduced to stamping..) I can see someone spending a good chuck of money for the ease of just buying something already made.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-29-2007, 06:01 AM   #42  
Matboard Maniac

wow.

Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase: "a fool and his money are soon parted"....

I agree, it IS beatutiful. But it's WAY overpriced.

Still, I would not have a problem taking that amount of money for pages like that if someone were willing to pay me to do the same thing. That woman rocks. She created a niche for herself and there, apparently, is a market for it. You go, girl.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:17 AM   #43  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyGirl
wow.

Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase: "a fool and his money are soon parted"....

Still, I would not have a problem taking that amount of money for pages like that if someone were willing to pay me to do the same thing. That woman rocks. She created a niche for herself and there, apparently, is a market for it. You go, girl.
Wow, that's kind of harsh, don't you think? I hope the buyer or someone she knows isn't a member here. I'd hate for someone to read that people were calling them names simply because they had money to spend.

I don't understand what the fuss is about. They are beautiful pages and whether or not they are our style a lot of work obviouisly went into them. Nobody scammed anyone out of anything, the market determined what they were worth. I say congrats to both of them, the seller invested a lot of time and was paid well for her talent and the buyer has beautiful pages to but in her scrapbook or hang on the wall. Maybe she's just not crafty or doesn't have the time or patience to scrap.

We may not think they're worth over $700 but obviously other people do.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:27 AM   #44  
Gabfest Goddess

Oh, I don't think that's what anyone is implying. We all come here because we love the hobby of stamping and papercrafting. It's not a slam on the buyer... but $760 for ANYTHING is a big purchase for most of us, and is mind boggling when it is two scrapbook pages. I will be honest...I would NOT pay that or anything remotely close to that for scrapbook pages, no matter what, but if someone is.... cool beans for the seller! I don't have any problem with it.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:31 AM   #45  
Die Cut Diva

I agree - I don't think anyone is trying to be mean to anyone else about how much they spent on an ebay auction. I think we've all made purchases that look foolish to others but are justified in our eyes.

Look at the bidding history. Clearly the winning bidder wanted these pages. The first bid for these pages were pretty reasonable to me, after that though - I would have bowed out. Cute pages - but not my taste (other than the Peter Rabbit clip).

I hope the winner enjoys them!

Anne
Old 03-29-2007, 06:50 AM   #46  
Gabfest Goddess

Yeah, I've been a fool where spending is concerned MANY times. I'm not proud of it, and I am much more wise now!!! Does making a foolish purchase make me a fool? I don't think so, but if people take it that way, OK! I can live with that.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:05 AM   #47  
Die Cut Diva

The poster I quoted said a fool and his money are soon parted. That is implying the buyer is a fool.

I wouldn't spend that kind of money on two pages either,but I feel I can make pages (although not that nice). I have 4 or 5 Coach wallets, a bunch of purses and accessories. There was a time when DH and I had good jobs and only one child, we rented so no mortgage and that was what I blew my money on. Now I have more children and I'm home with them right now and we have a house so I've not smelled the Coach leather in a loooong time LOL

I have family members that cannot fathom that I have a $130 paper cutter LOL or the thousands of dollars I've spent on stamps and patterened paper. I have about 6 of those vertical paper holders that SU/Crooper Hopper sell just with patterned paper. Then another 6 with my 8 1/2 by 11 SU c/s. The first time DH saw inside one of the drawers that hold my stamps he just said HOLY S***!
Old 03-29-2007, 07:14 AM   #48  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by myhappyplace
The poster I quoted said a fool and his money are soon parted. That is implying the buyer is a fool.

I wouldn't spend that kind of money on two pages either,but I feel I can make pages (although not that nice). I have 4 or 5 Coach wallets, a bunch of purses and accessories. There was a time when DH and I had good jobs and only one child, we rented so no mortgage and that was what I blew my money on. Now I have more children and I'm home with them right now and we have a house so I've not smelled the Coach leather in a loooong time LOL

I have family members that cannot fathom that I have a $130 paper cutter LOL or the thousands of dollars I've spent on stamps and patterened paper. I have about 6 of those vertical paper holders that SU/Crooper Hopper sell just with patterned paper. Then another 6 with my 8 1/2 by 11 SU c/s. The first time DH saw inside one of the drawers that hold my stamps he just said HOLY S***!
Oh I totally understood your point & that of the other poster. I don't think she implied that the bidder was a 'sucker' - just more that the purchase to her was foolish. I guess when one wants something really bad, they will pay for it.

I too have family members (namely my mother) who said the same thing (Holy S***!) when she saw my stamp room. I reminded her that all her beads & supplies for her jewelry making hobby, AND her knitting yarn, AND her quilting fabric (along w/a $2000 sewing machine) were all purchases that are as justified as my stamp stuff. She laughed and said "good point".

I figure there could be worse habits, vices or addictions - right? LOL

Anne
Old 03-29-2007, 07:15 AM   #49  
Insane Embellisher

If I were to pay $700+ for a page like that, I'd be too afraid to use it. To even try and add pictures and journaling= that would be scary.
my etsy shop ;; my blog
Old 03-29-2007, 07:39 AM   #50  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annek
Oh I totally understood your point & that of the other poster. I don't think she implied that the bidder was a 'sucker' - just more that the purchase to her was foolish. I guess when one wants something really bad, they will pay for it.

I too have family members (namely my mother) who said the same thing (Holy S***!) when she saw my stamp room. I reminded her that all her beads & supplies for her jewelry making hobby, AND her knitting yarn, AND her quilting fabric (along w/a $2000 sewing machine) were all purchases that are as justified as my stamp stuff. She laughed and said "good point".

I figure there could be worse habits, vices or addictions - right? LOL

Anne
My husband always says that. Sometimes I'll say I can't believe all the stuff I have and he always says it's harmless and there are so many worse things I could be spending money on. I do quilt so I also have the fabric, a machine, etc. I once said out loud, I really wish I could knit so I could make hats and gloves for you and the kids. He said, no, for the love of God, not another hobby.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:47 AM   #51  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by myhappyplace
My husband always says that. Sometimes I'll say I can't believe all the stuff I have and he always says it's harmless and there are so many worse things I could be spending money on. I do quilt so I also have the fabric, a machine, etc. I once said out loud, I really wish I could knit so I could make hats and gloves for you and the kids. He said, no, for the love of God, not another hobby.
LMAO! My best friend is also a very crafty girl (SHE is to blame for introducing me to stamping!). Whenever my mother visits she always has some new project/craft she introduces me to, which ultimately I have to tell my best friend. So now, my friend always asks "What new thing do I have to go spend $$ on now?" after a visit from my mom. I always tell my mother, "Lynne is going to curse at you" when she shows me some new creation. LOL

My father always says to my mom "What are you making NOW?" - she's either knitting, quilting, or beading.

Too funny!

Anne
Old 03-29-2007, 08:24 AM   #52  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynamom
Oh, I don't think that's what anyone is implying. We all come here because we love the hobby of stamping and papercrafting. It's not a slam on the buyer... but $760 for ANYTHING is a big purchase for most of us, and is mind boggling when it is two scrapbook pages. I will be honest...I would NOT pay that or anything remotely close to that for scrapbook pages, no matter what, but if someone is.... cool beans for the seller! I don't have any problem with it.
Thank you.

Incidentally, I did praise the woman for creating a niche for herself and her talent and having a market that would pay her so well.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:29 AM   #53  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

chuckling . . .

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder . . . and, hangin' on the wall of the individual with a large enough pocketbook to purchase what they like, no matter what the price.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:34 AM   #54  
Gabfest Goddess

Maybe whoever purchased these two pages was in the "I can't do so I really appreciate that others can" category. We're all pretty close to this, we know the ins and outs and costs, etc. I suppose if you look at it as two pieces of art that you intend to hang, it's not that bad?

I was thinking about the whole spending on crafts thing. I agree with all of what was posted, but even then, I do have to cut back. I don't spend online, but I am bad when I go to a store. They always have new and pretty stuff since the last time, and I can't resist, and it's not like I need patterned paper. I could cover the entire US with it and still have some left! I've been spending all my extra money on this hobby, and my wardrobe selections show it. Gotta rope it in!

So, yeah.... no $760 pages for me!
Old 03-29-2007, 09:41 AM   #55  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

. . . I've been spending all my extra money on this hobby, and my wardrobe selections show it. Gotta rope it in! . . .
ROTFL!

I was thinkin' . . .

"When I get a little money, I buy stamps . . . If there's some left over I buy food and clothing . . . "

Old 03-29-2007, 10:53 AM   #56  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

and it's not like I need patterned paper. I could cover the entire US with it and still have some left!
ROFL!!! Me too! I could also stamp everything in sight with all the ink/reinkers I have as well.

Anne
Old 03-29-2007, 10:53 AM   #57  
Pearl-ExPert

I haven't bought any new clothes in over a year.....my drawers have holes in them!!!! But...wanna see my new stamps??????
Old 03-29-2007, 10:58 AM   #58  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by parrothead
I haven't bought any new clothes in over a year.....my drawers have holes in them!!!! But...wanna see my new stamps??????
So true! Our coffee maker is held together with duct tape. BUT- I have "Big Pieces" (and 59 other sets...) and, too, enough paper to cover the earth! LOL
Old 03-29-2007, 12:08 PM   #59  
Pearl-ExPert

i am so glad there are people like you out there.. i sometimes feel like i'm the only one that spends large $$ on stamps/paper/scrapbook supplies because no one else in my life is into paper crafting... i'm a single parent, and a student teacher, and a homeowner, and the last thing in the world i should be spending money on is my hobby, but it makes me feel so good!! i got a job at my LSS teaching classes to help fund my addiction, but like you other ladies, i haven't purchased a new item of clothing for months, and some months are a little tight money-wise... but after a long day of teaching music to a bunch of high schoolers, it feels good to sit down at my table, rifle through my paper, and make a pretty card.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:50 PM   #60  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyGirl
wow.

ICAM! Thanks for reading my mind, LuckyGirl!