Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Tumble Tile Staz-on questions (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/tumble-tile-staz-questions-17260/)

1winky 11-19-2004 11:19 AM

Tumble Tile Staz-on questions

:?: Hi, I'm a newbie. Playing with stamping on tumble tiles for Xmas gifts with the SU Simply Florals set. I'm using staz-on but seem to get too much ink on the stamps and the images are thick and blurry. Need some hints on how to apply just the right amount of ink to the stamps. Or should I ink everytime before stamping on the tile but pre-stamp onto a piece of paper first?

I would love any and all hints to stamping on tumble tiles. What do you like to color the image in with? Chalks, Brilliance Inks, Sharpies, chalk, watercolor pencils etc.?

Kymbers_Stampin 11-19-2004 11:33 AM

Try tapping the pad onto your stamps rather than tapping the stamp onto your pad. I've had success that way with newer pads. As for coloring I use pastels and special charcoal pencils.

Advogirl 11-19-2004 11:40 AM

Hi! I'm fairly new to this too and have had the same problem. I have noticed that if I clean or wash the tiles well first it seems to help. I am trying to talk my son into sanding a few that I had done before so I can recycle them!

Kymbers_Stampin 11-19-2004 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advogirl
Hi! I'm fairly new to this too and have had the same problem. I have noticed that if I clean or wash the tiles well first it seems to help. I am trying to talk my son into sanding a few that I had done before so I can recycle them!

Try soaking them in 91% rubbing alcohol. That may get it off. You can also try StazOn cleaner to get the ink off. I would try those first.

Advogirl 11-19-2004 11:50 AM

I am having a little difficuly getting my posting on so hope this didn't double but wanted to be sure you know how awsome I think all of you are and that this site is the best thing since sliced bread!!! My sone will love you if this gets him out of sanding! THANKS so Much!!!!!

ann2 11-19-2004 06:07 PM

I have used rubbing alcohol to wipe off the staz-on and anything else that I have used on the tile (chalks, Versamark, etc.) when I didn't like the results. I've reused the same time a half dozen times this way! Saves on tiles and I'm not afraid to experiment!
Ann

Kymbers_Stampin 11-19-2004 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advogirl
I am having a little difficuly getting my posting on so hope this didn't double but wanted to be sure you know how awsome I think all of you are and that this site is the best thing since sliced bread!!! My sone will love you if this gets him out of sanding! THANKS so Much!!!!!

That is so sweet. You may have to soak it for a while, but eventually it will come off. I can't find my 91% and am soaking some in 70%. It's taking longer, but it is working. And with tiles being on the short side, it's nice to be able to reuse some.

Motherof6 11-19-2004 06:28 PM

I soaked my mess ups in bleach over night and they were clean in the morning to start again.

rubadubdub 11-20-2004 04:14 PM

For those of you able to wipe off or soak out the staz-on: are you working with glazed or tumbled marble? One of my fears of working with tumbled marble is making a mess and not being about to fix it; because marble is so porous I thought the ink would soak in.

Motherof6 11-20-2004 05:35 PM

I am using tumbled tiles. That is why I soaked over night. I tried at different times and just let it set and it worked. (whew!)

tanya 11-20-2004 05:55 PM

I have also read to store your staz on right side up instead of upside down to keep too much ink from being on the top. I store min upside down though and have never had this problem. There is a fine dust on the tiles so if you didn't wash them first, the dust may have been what caused the smearing. also, just be very careful. I stand up to stamp my tiles as I am less likely to "slip" this way.

Mzaiderman 11-21-2004 06:33 PM

Try inking up your stamp and then lightly stamp off (stamp on scrap paper) before you stamp on the tile. That will take the excess ink off but leave plenty to stamp clearly on the tile.

mum2_2boyz 11-21-2004 07:05 PM

I am a newbie too, but thanks for all the information. I am planning on doing the tiles for Christmas presents. Thanks again ladies.

JoAnne