Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-28-2011, 10:02 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for ideas/help in setting up a card event to benefit OWH

I am working on setting up an event in my town to have ladies (and men) come to make cards for Operation Write Home. Has anyone done this? Can I pick your brain? What worked, what didn't, what would you do different if/when you do it again? Did you name your event, how did you describe it when you advertised it?

I am hoping the hotel in town will donate the use of their meeting room for this (OWH will give them a tax receipt), if not, I may check with churches next.

I plan to charge a small-ish fee ($5 to $10) to get people to RSVP and come. Was thinking of using the money for door prizes, and shipping costs. Does that make sense? I was hoping to see if food could be donated also.

When I tell people about Operation Write Home they think it is where I make cards then write to a solider. It takes me longer to explain that the soliders write in the "blank" cards to send home. When I put an ad in the paper, how would I word it so people understand what they would be doing if they came?

Thanks.

Trish

P.S. I have and am looking on OWH website for ideas, but still have the above questions.

Last edited by mouseprints; 02-28-2011 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: added more
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2011, 11:31 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i like the idea of OWH, I just did one for a small group of ladies (9 of us) at a pizza parlor. I didn't charged for anything, I donated my time / material so I am not so sure if you charging ppl might be a good idea? I think it might be best to ask local charities for donation of door prizes. Actually, it's such a great cause I doubt ppl will care much about prizes.
Card for a Cause / RMH Swap
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I keep going back and forth on the charging idea. I would love to do it at no fee to them, but in this area, if you don't have to pay, there is no insentive to go. Many people back out at the last minute because they aren't out anything. We are in MN, and if the weather is nice that day (I'm looking at April 30th), I know I would lose people for sure if there is no cost.

I was thinking $8 if paid in advanced or $10 at the door.

A few weeks ago I tried to have an event at a lss and no one turned out. It was advertised as an "open day", so nothing formal was planned.

I think the draw of door prizes might get people to come.

Trish
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

I am having an open house to make cards for OWH at our home on 3/12. I sent out invitations on patriotic print paper. I gave a brief explanation of what OWH is about and included the website so anyone could look up information. I am providing all the materials for the cards I've designed and the food/drinks. I invited 16 gals and 12 of them are coming. It has amazed me how many people have already dropped off to me, ribbon, paper, ink, etc. to be used in the card making. I also have a couple friends helping me precut some of the basic shapes as I "only" own 3 papercutters - lol!
I guess I feel like several smaller groups per year is much more manageable and lest costly than a huge group; but that's just me.
I am not doing prizes as, again at least for me, it's about the cause and the socializing. I am blessed with some very wonderful friends.
Good luck in your planning.
Reply With Quote Likes