Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-12-2016, 02:36 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gold foiling on black cardstock

So DS and his finance are liking the art deco look and we're trying to make the Save the Dates. We have a lovely font for the text and now need to get that foiled (or so we hope). Gold on black.

Has anyone had experience with laser printing onto black card stock and then foiling? I know I've seen videos and blogs that say it works, but we're having a heck of a time.

If you've had success, what CS did you use, do you have your own laser printer at home or did you go to a copy shop, what brand of foil did you use, what laminator? any tips or tricks to share?

(We've had great success with other ways to foil, the boarder design around the text is going to be fabulous, but the text is awful at this point.)

Many thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2016, 10:34 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 35 Likes on 6 Posts

This blog article from Jennifer McGuire may help:

Video: 5 Ways to Add Gold Foil - Jennifer McGuire Ink

She talks about how to foil with adhesive instead of printer toner. You can also see which tools she uses for her printer foiling. She lists the supplies at the end of each article.

You also may want to post in the tools forum -- there are a few foiling threads there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2016, 01:15 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Are you doing the border using a different method? It's just that if that's working fine then presumably the cardstock and foil are playing nice together so there must be something else going on - can you tell us how you're doing that bit and getting good results?

In what way does the text look awful? I'm wondering if it's possible the text is too small or has lines that are too skinny to give enough area of toner for the foil to stick to?

My blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2016, 04:06 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for your posts and thoughts, ladies.
Elizabeth, it was that video exactly that got me to thinking we could take on the foiling. Isn't Jennifer amazing?!

Joanne, while there are thicker and thinner lines, the thinner of the lines is still a bold line, not at all wispy. The coverage is very spotty, coming out speckled, even if we run it through several times (using the same laminator that Jennifer M is using (or its newer version?)

and yes, the foiling for the boarder is using a different approach and getting a different result (Jennifer's first method in the video, except we're using a stencil. Julie Balzer has a youtube video using stencils and rubber cement, which we followed, but did a mashup and used Jennifer's glue pad strategy (first method in the video Elizabeth listed), but the boarder is working nicely.

One thing we've learned: every different glue/adhesive grabs the foil differently. The glue/foil look from the stencil, from an adhesive tape, from different glue pens ... all a different look. It's going to make playing with foil in the future a lot of fun, opening a lot of doors for adding that shimmer and shine on future cards, but at the moment ... sigh ... I'm getting ready to have a stamp made with the text (love, love, love Crackerbox Palace!) and do the whole thing in gold embossing powder just to have an even effect.

We have had fun playing with all of it and spending time together, so it's all good, but if anyone has had good success with foiling on black CS with the toner-then-laminator, I'd love to know more about your process.

Last edited by jeaniebean55; 06-13-2016 at 04:54 AM.. Reason: adding links
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2016, 07:33 AM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 744 Likes on 363 Posts

Did you do the same thing on white CS and it worked? I dont think I saw that...have you tried printing it in just black on white to see if it is printing smoothly?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2016, 11:10 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Did you do the same thing on white CS and it worked? I dont think I saw that...have you tried printing it in just black on white to see if it is printing smoothly?
No. Good idea though. We went to a copy shop (two actually, first one gave us back pages that were slightly curled. Second one, after trouble shooting and narrowing down the possible culprits for the poor results, we explicitly asked if they could make the printing as dark as possible. still spotty.)

(I've just ordered a stamp to be made from the pdf we used, and when it arrives, will use my fabulous MISTI to Versamark directly over the printing (we've got quite a pile of cards with toner and no foil at this point, as you can imagine). Haven't decided if I want to try the glue embossing powder or just go with gold embossing. I've got a couple of days before the stamp gets here, so I might play around with the glue embossing and foil.)

Last edited by jeaniebean55; 06-13-2016 at 11:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2016, 02:41 PM   #7  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YouTube from Scraptime re: heat foiling on black paper

If you have questions, you could maybe reach out to her via email.....

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2016, 04:44 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Interesting video. Did you notice how spotty the horse turned out? That's what's happening for us (and even on a more 'fine grain'). Not at all like Jennifer's valentine. I wish I knew what was going on. I confess, if I can get to a reasonable approximation, that will be good enough. I don't need to be the queen of foiling. But it is a curious thing and if others have figured out how to get better foiling results on black CS, it would be awesome to hear about it.

Last edited by jeaniebean55; 06-13-2016 at 04:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2016, 08:36 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Foiling

is it just the gold foil? I've foiled on black paper with silver no problems. I made sure my printer was on graphic and thicker paper (using a Brother printer). Here's one I did using my foilmaster (which allows me to use a high heat setting)

http://darlenemcg.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2016, 01:09 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

I have never done any foiling but it does look amazing!

I recently got a grant from a non gov org (im in Australia ) and im planning to get some deco foil i cant recall the brand but it comes in a tube the sheets are i think 5 x 12 inches and you get 5 sheets and i will be using a different technique to foil i never realized till this post how many ways of foiling there were!! It certainly looks amazing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2016, 05:01 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by darlenemcgView Post
is it just the gold foil? I've foiled on black paper with silver no problems. I made sure my printer was on graphic and thicker paper (using a Brother printer). Here's one I did using my foilmaster (which allows me to use a high heat setting)
Your card is go-jus!

Could be the foil, but it could be the amount of toner that gets laid down, or it could be the laminator. Or a combination? So OK, we're narrowing things down, aren't we? lol!

So I guess if you want a solidly foiled something, particularly text (where you need things lined up precisely!) I can share a way that doesn't work ... lol! (here's a combination that's not working: having the copy shop do the printing, even when asking it to be as dark as possible;GinaK's CS; Heidi Swapp foil;Royal Sovereign laminator set high; running it through several times)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2016, 05:43 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

The issue could be the Gina K cardstock - it's some of the most awesome cardstock to use, but it's very heavy weight. A laser printer/copier works by fusing the powdered toner to the paper with heat; for heavier cardstock, more heat is needed (either the fuser gets hotter, or the cardstock runs thru the fuser unit more slowly). I know when I try printing on GinaK (or the extra-heavyweight stock from Michaels or Hobby Lobby), if I don't set the copier for extra-thick paper, the print is kind of spotty and sometimes I'm able to rub some of it right off. And even when I set it at its thickest option, that super heavyweight stock can still come out a bit spotty. It's very easy to see on white cardstock, but on the black you won't notice it until the foil doesn't stick. And running the foil through again doesn't help, if the toner isn't there for it to stick to.

Could you try printing on a little bit lighter weight cardstock and layering it onto your heavyweight?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2016, 08:25 AM   #13  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

I bought a Royal Sovereign laminator when I began foiling and my foiled laster-printed images had block spots so I bought the large Minc and the foiling with the Minc is excellent quality; my Minc results are far superior to the results that I got with the Royal Sovereign. Christine is also using a Royal Sovereign.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2016, 01:09 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh dear. I was wondering if the laminator might be playing a role. As lovely as the Minc machine seems to be, it would have to have a lot more applications before I could see myself parting with those dollars. BUT ... if a person really wants to get that super liquid smooth application and doesn't mind spending that kind of money, it sure is a pretty look, isn't it?

For us, it would make these 'simple' Save the Dates kinda ridiculously expensive. Fortunately, there's always more than one way to skin a cat, right? So while the kind of gold-and-shiny we end up with may not be quite as smooth and polished, I think we can come in at a pretty close runner up. And they are the Save the Dates, not the actual invitation, where I might be having a heart attack right about now. lol!

Last edited by jeaniebean55; 06-14-2016 at 01:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2016, 02:02 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

P.S. John, from the Crackerbox Palace just called. My stamp with the text will be shipping tomorrow around noon. Even though they just came back from doing a show and are crazy busy. I love that place and those people. If you're ever near Janesville, WI, it's worth the driving around the goofy roads of the town to get to that place. It's quirky and cute and the people are the best. If you have a line drawing of a something you want made into a stamp, they can do that for you. If you have an idea of something, they can help you with that too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2016, 07:30 PM   #16  
Embossing Fanatic

I just did it a few weekends ago with 100% great results. I used the MINC mini machine with MINC Gold foil. I printed on black cardstock from a Colorbok black and white cardstock pack I got from Wal-Mart. I made sure the 2270DW Brother Laser Printer was on the 1200 dpi setting and set to "thicker paper". I ran it through the MINC machine on a 4 setting. It looked awesome. I didn't take pics because I shouldn't have used the graphic (copyright) but did anyways because it was just a card for my nephew's bday. I had no missing spots, just perfect foiling. I was actually so please I thought to myself "Wow, this looks professional!". I hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes