Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-05-2004, 10:41 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Curious about this trend . . .

in scrapbooking . . . using inkjet printables.

It would seem to me exceedingly costly.

And, how in the world do you print out on 12 x 12 papers? I've never seen a printer that output larger than 8 1/2 x 11 size . . . altho I'm sure they are out there. . .

What are your thoughts? Experiences?

I'm just intrigued and slightly interested in incorporating some printables in my design work, but I wonder if the costs outweigh purchasing pre-printed/ready-made items, etc.

The site that I first saw this kinda stuff at is: www.scrapgirls.com

if you're interested in exploring it yourself . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2004, 10:54 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That site looked pretty cool, but I think it would be cheaper to buy paper than to go through all of that ink! Our printer already goes through ink like crazy!
I do use my PC for journaling and a few other things.
Maybe someone out there has some more experience!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2004, 11:07 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

What a very cool site for ideas though. We go through way too much ink and I wouldn't think that it would be very safe. Is inkjet ink acid free and all that? Yes, much easier to buy or stamp your own paper. Love all the ideas at this site though. Thanks for sharing!

Wendi, SCS Member # 799
www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/sahm_i_am
www.wendibrant.stampinup.net
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2004, 11:08 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to Charmed

There are 12x12 printers (actually they are 14" wide) from Epson. They usually start at $800 and go up from there. You can still print 8.5x12 items on a regular printer, you just have to fiddle with the printer settings a bit. With mine, I use a sofrware program called QuarkExpress - used for desktop publishing - that allows me to create custom sized pages, and my printer will happily print them without complaining. It is really nice to use with 12" long vellum for titles, just have to change the text so it is sideways on the page, then when you attatch the vellum to the page, the title is along the top.

As for ink, if you are printing photos, yes, it does get gobbled up really quickly as I have discovered - it is cheaper to get the digital prints processed somewhere else like Wal-Mart or Walgreen's, unless you want a larger or custom size, then it is cheaper to do it yourself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2004, 11:25 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

My SIL LOVES scrapbooking this way! She has a smaller home and doesn't have the room to store all of the scrapbook materials. She doesn't mind the extra cost of printing up the pages. Her sister and mother scrapbook the same way... so it works for them.

I personally don't like it because my favorite part is when I've completed a page and love it! I have a sense of accomplishment that I made something great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2004, 11:36 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

That site is very cool. Some of those backgrounds are gorgeous and would look great on a scrapbook page. But I'm with kayinrd. I'd rather buy the paper than spend that kind of money on printer cartridges.
I have one of the large format printers that I use to print onto my 12x12 scrapbook pages. But that printer has 8 individual ink cartridges and at $8-10 each, I am very particular how I use them. Needless to say, full background pages are out of the question.

I'd do it if it was something I just couldn't live without, but even then I'm sure I could come up with something similar from my LSS.

JMHO,
Santell[/b]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2004, 12:23 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Another great place to get great graphics is http://www.pccrafter.com/
You can download their free browser and keep track of the ones that you buy and they aren't that expensive. I love some of their graphics. You don't have to join their club to buy the graphics and you can sign up for their newsletter that gives lots of great advice. :P
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2004, 01:20 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

You have to keep in mind that a lot of people are not very saavy on the computer. Mnay will still prefer to use stamps. Where is the creativity when you use the computer. I would think it would make it seem less individualized.

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2004, 02:12 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Please quit giving me ideas! I casually looked at this site and then bookmarked for later perusal. I don't scrapbook - just cards, but I wonder if it will revolutionize card making. I'm mind boggled thinking about background papers that could be created this way. You all make me laugh worrying about the cost of printer ink, when you don't mind the cost of other materials.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2004, 02:12 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I've looked at computer scrapbooking and had the same questions that you have. I for me I decided I wouldn't like because I spend all day on my computer at work, I want my downtime to be something different. Besides, I don't want to lose the opportunity to buy all those goodies from SU, and all the great scrapbook stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2004, 02:27 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Might be nice if you're in a hurry and needed a background paper or something. Save you a trip to the craft store or shipping time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2004, 03:49 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Buy or Print, that is the question LOLOL

I looked at the site Julie. Thank you for talking about it. I like to know what is new for designing cards, etc.

I am pretty computer literate or savy or whatever. I used to design cards on the computer and for me it was too un-hands on. I have to do it and feel it with my hands if that makes any sense.

I enjoy putting colors, shapes, etc. together and I want someone else to make the stuff I do it with. You might really enjoy running a program and I can see where if you could control the colors of the paper like we do for printing fonts it might be cool.

Their stuff didn't look very colorful. Your cards, etc. are always bright, cheerful, etc. If you try this let us know how you like it. I like computers a lot, but not that much. I think maybe because I worked with one a lot at work. LOL

Just thoughts,
I didn't think I would like stamping when my daughter first showed me!

Shirley
Shirley in NC - SCS #756

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2004, 04:50 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I prefer actual layers of paper and embellishments. Printing it out would not be as much fun.

Different strokes for different folks!

Vera
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2004, 04:53 PM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I once called Canon to ask about their ink and was told that it is not acid free. I don't think any of the inks are. Not a problem if the whole page is printed, but it should not be used where it might come in contact with photos. When I journal on the computer, I run it through my Xyron to laminate it before using it on a scrapbooking page.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2004, 05:47 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

And, how in the world do you print out on 12 x 12 papers? I've never seen a printer that output larger than 8 1/2 x 11 size . . . altho I'm sure they are out there. . .
Julie,
DH had to have an HP ink jet that did larger papers, so I KNOW they are out there! His is an HP 1220, I believe. It will do as large as 14x17, I think, so it would do 12x12 no problem. As for the ink cartridge question, he has printed out large pictures with it & hasn't gone through as much ink as I have with my new Epson & I don't really think I'm printing that much in color. :shock: HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2004, 05:54 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

When you print on an inkjet: if you are printing in b/w and have NOT changed the setting, you are actually using the color cartridges to print in black and white, therefore you use the colors sooo much faster.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2004, 06:44 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

GMAX, I was just wondering about that tonight as I was printing something out. No wonder my B/W cartridge last so long!

I've downloaded some tag elements but haven't tried using them yet. They just seem so flat and fake. I like the dimensional look of real layers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2004, 06:54 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

I know that I have read that HP inkjet inks are acid free, however the ink does fade over time, so a page that looks great now, might not look so nice in a few years. I found a card that I printed out a few years ago on an HP inkjet printer and it had faded quite a bit.

Computers are great for a lot of things, but I also prefer to sit down and take the time to create a nice page with my supplies.

Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2004, 10:09 PM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

I'm pretty computer savvy, also. I have been extremely interested in this subject lately, and have just been getting my feet wet. You do have to be willing to pay a lot up front for a wide-format printer, photo-quality inks (which are archival for many decades and available on higher-end models), a computer with a big hard drive, and quality software. My printer is an hp 9670, and it prints up to 13" wide, by however long (up to banner length.) I have the full version of Photoshop and have had loads of fun trying to learn it! I mostly wanted to do this because I'm a bit of a digital shutterbug, and then I could practice Photoshop skills. I learned very quickly that actually PRINTING OUT 12 X 12 pages uses A LOT of ink. But the beauty of digital is that you don't have to print it out. You can make a "digital scrapbook" and put it on CD or DVD for Grandma, or upload it to your own website, etc. I can even take digital scrapbook pages and make a slide show out of them with music, menus, and all kinds of fancy stuff in iDVD. I'm a Mac user, but I'm sure there are lots of similar programs out there for PC's. The wide format printer is really great for 12" title or journaling blocks for traditional scrapbooks, too. Also, you can scan sentimental fabrics (think 1st baby's outfit, blanket) and print it out as background paper. There are even special fabrics made just for inkjet printers! The possibilities are endless!! Isn't it all so very grand and fun?!! I just love all of it-- stamping, scrapping, (sewing, too, my original, first love!)
Lisa S.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2004, 10:57 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to Charmed

I think that the Epson DuraBright inks are supposed to be lightfast archival quality. They are relativly new inks, so who knows. I do know that the pictures that I printed with my epson using the DuraBright inks have not faded at all over this past year, even when sitting in the sun, so again who knows.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2004, 06:59 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Thanks, everybody! It was very interesting to hear the replies on this!

I'm intrigued, but I'm not a scrapper . . . however, like Lisa S., I do DVD slide shows on my Mac and her suggestion:

Quote:

But the beauty of digital is that you don't have to print it out. You can make a "digital scrapbook" and put it on CD or DVD for Grandma, or upload it to your own website, etc. I can even take digital scrapbook pages and make a slide show out of them with music, menus, and all kinds of fancy stuff in iDVD. I'm a Mac user, but I'm sure there are lots of similar programs out there for PC's.
That this may be the route for me, as far as scrapping goes. Of course, it still takes time and I'm still learning a lot!

Meantime, I'm a die-hard stamper and will never be able to give up the appeal it has for me. Plus, I love how quickly I can do that, along with the dimension, as opposed to anything I TRY to do on the 'puter (I'm 'tarded that way and slow to learn anything tech)

There are occasions, however, living on this island, where I just don't have easy access to all the cool papers out there . . . I'm waiting for the local scrapbook store to carry background papers by 7 Gypsies, KI Memories, SEI, Melissa Frances (cool vintage), Chatterbox, Basic Grey, etc. . . . they carry plenty of other stuff, but, I gravitate to the aforementioned brands as far as background paper goes.

Thought maybe if I learned (that site offers a manual on how to use your 'puter to make your own papers and designs, etc.), that at least with that, I could get the look I'm wanting?????

For example, I really want some ivory and black harlequin paper (and since SU! took away/retired our only harlequin background stamp, I've been ever so woeful and pleading they replace it . . . ). Can't find any here on the island. And, do I really wanna pay $4+ in S & H just to get a few sheets of that kinda paper?????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2004, 09:37 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinMamaTo4
But the beauty of digital is that you don't have to print it out. You can make a "digital scrapbook" and put it on CD or DVD for Grandma, or upload it to your own website, etc. I can even take digital scrapbook pages and make a slide show out of them with music, menus, and all kinds of fancy stuff in iDVD.... Also, you can scan sentimental fabrics (think 1st baby's outfit, blanket) and print it out as background paper. There are even special fabrics made just for inkjet printers! The possibilities are endless!! Isn't it all so very grand and fun?!! I just love all of it-- stamping, scrapping, (sewing, too, my original, first love!)
Lisa S.
I'm too much of a handle the merchandise person. Personally I love to feel the texture of paper. You can make your own background paper with stamps or even scan those sentimental fabrics, etc and print on cardstock for embellishments. That said, I seriously doubt I'd do total digital scrapbooking. Maybe little bits here and there. I totally enjoy the manual process. I can appreciate the bells and whistles of the digital albums, but it's not for me.

I'd be concerned the technology would change and I wouldn't be able to access my scrapbook (remember BETA vcrs?). My goal for 2005 is to PRINT all the digital photos I think I'll be scrapbooking just so that I have them in hand to scrapbook. I wouldn't want them to be lost.

I'd also rather hold a scrapbook in my hands and lap, turn pages and see the handwriting than watch it on my computer screen.

But then I may be a dinosaur. I still work on mainframe computers with legacy systems and took forever to make myself learn WORD!

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2004, 09:43 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected]
You have to keep in mind that a lot of people are not very saavy on the computer. Mnay will still prefer to use stamps. Where is the creativity when you use the computer. I would think it would make it seem less individualized.

Cindy
Thanks for singleing me out. Just kidding, but you do have a point! I can barely figure this printer out without adding other things to it. And I agree with everyone's opinion~that site is cool and I like the ideas, but there is NO WAY I am going to be able to afford the amount of ink that you would be going through...I would rather spend it on stamps...

Just sayin'
Catie
Just sayin'
atie 2005

ND rules!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2004, 09:48 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

I think what intrigues me most, is the ability to "combine" the printables with other mediums--stamping, etc.

Like I said, I would never be able to give up stamping--in fact, I find it very difficult, myself, to create anything WITHOUT stamping as the main medium used in just about EVERYTHING I create!

I just am curious as to how others are receiving this trend, and using it, if at all . . . and interested in exploring ways to use it as a tool to achieve what I cannot otherwise purchase locally, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2004, 10:20 AM   #25  
Kookie Creator

I have a HP960 printer that will print up to 13 x 19. It takes a color cartridge and a black cartridge like the rest of most of the other printers. It was about $385.00 at Office Depot with a $50.00 rebate.

I was introduced to the printing on your scrapbook pages by my local scrapbook store. My handwriting is horrible and I wasn't comfortable doing my journaling by hand after I had put so much effort into a beautiful layout. I love how it looks on the printer and you have so many options of the different fonts.

Tracey
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2004, 10:31 AM   #26  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

hey Julie,

check out this site.. this is a friend of mine who started her own digital scrapbooking company.

http://www.cottagearts.net/home.html

I have an interest in this as well - I did a lot of computer work via my graphic design schooling and have been very intrigued by the scrap world incorporating so much of the digital scrapbooking technology. I do love a printed product, but also the online/cd kind of thing too.

I think would be able to see both worlds of printing out your work completely and also using bits and parts incorporated into your work. They had an blurp about making your own scrapping papers on your computer in one of the recent creative keepsakes.

As far as computers and how they can be used creatively.. the computer is your tool... a computer itself itsn't the creative part.. it's using the computer as a tool in your creativity. This was a huge thing stressed in my design classes.

Anyways... this is one of those things thats a whole different realm of scrapbooking and paper arts. And it sure looks cool.

Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2004, 10:40 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catie
Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected]

Cindy
Catie
If you read my thread carefully you will notice I point out the positives of digital scrapbooking; in no way do I personally believe I would ever EXCLUSIVELY scrapbook digitally. It's pretty hard for Granny or Auntie Whoever to "hold it in their hands" when they live thousands of miles away. I'm just saying it's great for sharing long distance. I consider my computer just one of MANY tools that I use for "memory making." As for the comment about "where is the creativity using the computer," I must respectfully disagree. I and millions of others have created beautiful images, photos and movies, documents, etc, using the computer (have you ever seen "Toy Story" or "Shrek?"). I get compliments all the time from friends and family on the photo collages, movies, and slide shows I do. And I get equal amounts of compliments on my cards and stamping projects; (BELIEVE me, I love the hands on stuff; I've got about 250 SU sets and thousands of dollars in accessories & scrapbooking supplies!).
:oops:
I'm just saying I love them both, and would never give up either one. JulieHRR wasn't implying we make a "choice." No one is any better of a person because he/she is computer savvy or not; that's just silly! She was just discussing computing as an interesting part of the scrapbooking realm, not trying to start a debate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2004, 11:03 AM   #28  
Cardstock Collector

Default Digital plus paper scrapbooking

This is a subject near and dear to my heart!!! I **love** stamps but am more of a scrapbooker in reality. I need to spend more time playing with my stamps and get more comfortable with them. I'm still at that ackward stage where I end up rocking the stamp and having to re-stamp *way* too often!!!

I got interested in using my computer more about a year ago when I purchased ONE sheet of stickers for s specific layout and the stiocker sheet cost about $6. I used to avoid the computer for scrapbooking completely..... I am the orignal owner and founder of scrapbooking.com. When I got started in scrapbooking the technology to print archival pages just wasn't there. As time went on the technology came about but the price was *really* prohibitive. However, finally the technology has become affordable and I decided after a LOT of research that it was time to start mixing mediums and use computer generated and or home printed elements in my scrapbooks.

The newer printers with microdroplet technology are **really** easy on ink useage. I have the Canon i9100 printer. It will print up to 13 x 19 and cost about $250. The refill cartridges are $12.95 at Target and cheaper if I buy them at Sam's or online. However, I have been printing with this printer for a few months, printing TONS and TONS of background papers, Christmas Cards, titles, captions and poems and I'm only on my third set of refill cartridges. I've owned HP and Epson printers in the past and I know that they used a LOT more ink. I think that the newer technology is the KEY here..... I think the newer printers *all* use less ink!

As for longevity, you do not need to do any guesswork. Henry Wilhelm is an archival expert. I have been following his work for about ten years now. First I used his information to know which type of photo developing to use. Yes, there is a *huge* difference in the longevity!!!!! Hint for those who don't want to go to the site and read, I *always* use Fuji processing, Fuji Crystal Archive is the BEST for longevity. Back to the printing longevity, Wilhelm's website http://www.wilhelm-research.com/ gives you all the information that you need to be assured that things you print out today will be around a long time. Also, when referencing Wilhelm's site notice that when he states a longevity, that longevity is for LIGHT STORAGE. Light storage is like a photo that is in a frame on the wall. Most of us are worried about the longevity of scrapbook pages that will be stored in DARK storage, in a close scrapbook. So if Wilhelm states that ink has a longevity of 97 years for storage, for scrapbooking purposes, you can assume that the longevity is a LOT longer!! Also, the longevity that is talked about on Wilhelm's site, is the point in time that an EXPERT will start to detect fading. So again, if Wilhelm says that the ink will last 97 years in light storage before an EXPERT will be able to detect fading, you can be assured that same printout will last a lot longer in your book, in the dark whre an expert won't be looking at it, but your family instead.

This has turned into quite the BOOK!!! But one more thing, cost, the average cost to print a page with the new printers with new technology is $.30 per page. I figure that it costs me under $.50 per page to print my papers and that includes the cardstock that I use to print background papers. For pages that are mainly photographs where I use photo papers, the cost would be higher.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2004, 01:07 PM   #29  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

I am the orignal owner and founder of scrapbooking.com
GET OUT! Really?

That is so "kewl"!!!!

OK, so now I wanna know how come you are no longer the owner . . . or are you still? I got the impression you weren't, but am curious for clarification and more info about you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2004, 01:38 PM   #30  
Cardstock Collector

You are right, I don't own the site any longer. My husband had some "routine" surgery in 1999 and had some major complications. At that time I decided it would be best to sell the website. In fact I almost stopped scrapbooking completely until about a year ago- things were just too hectic with all the changes we had in our lives.

Now I have a LOT of catching up to do in my scrapbooks. So much fun, but it always seems that there isn't quite as much time as I'd like for my crafting!! I think I could craft 24/ 7 if my body would tolerate it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2004, 06:22 AM   #31  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, I had never heard of this until reading this thread, but it sounds like it might be a good way to catch up on some scrapbooking that otherwise will never get done.

As for printing, has anyone checked out Lulu.com? I found it thru an advertising link here on SCS. It's a print-on-demand business where you can upload your scrapbook pages (or calendars, cookbooks, regular books - anything you want to self-publish) & they will print copies. Lulu advertises 30 printed pages for under $10 (printing setup fee for each book is $4.53; color printing is $0.15 per page, and black & white printing is only $0.02 per page).

http://www.lulu.com/static/scrapbook.php

Might be a good way to share copies with family. I'd love to do a family calendar!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2004, 03:46 PM   #32  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks for the link to lulu!! They look like an interesting site. I usually make the family calendars with Word and bind them with a comb binding. They make a GREAT gift!!
Reply With Quote Likes