Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-09-2017, 10:09 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips & tricks to using die cuts?

Don't get me wrong, I've used die cuts before. I like that you can stamp, color and then cut out the image. I just haven't done it a whole lot.

But I just got in a big ole order of stamp sets with matching die cuts. I sat down to make a card. I used Lawn Fawn's Making Frosty Friends.

1--I notice in videos that people will use tape to tape the die down to the paper so it doesn't move while going through the machine. I assume it's not scotch tape, but can you tell me what you like to use?

2--is there a way to better line the die up over the stamped image so you get an even white border around the image and not have it all crooked? That's my biggest issue.

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2017, 10:26 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Others may have different opinions, but I found even washi tape could leave a crease line, so I use tape as sparingly as possible. If I want a cut in an exact spot and I don't want any 'wiggle room', I'll put the mat I'm going to be cutting into down then the CS then the die then the other acrylic plate (I have a CB, so I hope this makes sense). That way I can see whether or not the die moved as I run it through. It works good enough for me, but if I were needing this more often, I think I'd look into a magnetized plate.

For your second question: I'm OK with the space around not being exactly even, but if I really want it just so, I do the die cutting first and use my MISTI to get the stamp right where I want it (there's a YouTube or two on this if you'd like to see what that's all about)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2017, 10:32 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also cut first and then use my Stamp Positioner to line up the stamped image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2017, 11:28 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh wow, see THIS is why I love this site. I never would have thought to cut first, then stamp. Might have to practice a bit more tomorrow. It's quite the snow day here and will probably be the same tomorrow. So looks like it'll be a pajama & stampin' kinda day.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2017, 11:40 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

I like to stamp first and then cut, when I'm using stamps and coordinating dies. Way back, I found this tutorial (http://www.iostamps.com/mm5/images/DieAlignment.pdf ) from Impression Obsession to be very helpful. Most dies now don't come with the little alignment "loops" shown in it, but it's still the technique I use most often. I tend to cut the guides from an old cereal box and store them with the dies - you can get plenty of use from them before it's time to cut new ones.

Jeaniebean55's technique wouldn't work for me because, as recommended by Lydia, I have found that my plates warp infinitely less if I have the cutting edge of the die facing UP. So I use tape to hold the die to the card. If it needs to be removable - then washi, or the 3M repositionable, or Frog tape. But if the tape is only going over the outer part of the card that won't be used, I'll even use Scotch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2017, 11:43 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 659 Likes on 415 Posts

I use the "ugly" tapes from sets of washi... :mrgreen: and I do what Sabrina does, I cut with my blades up and the stamped and usually already colored image in the die.

I have not had crease lines from the tape

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2017, 11:58 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
I use the "ugly" tapes from sets of washi... :mrgreen: and I do what Sabrina does, I cut with my blades up and the stamped and usually already colored image in the die.

I have not had crease lines from the tape
Ditto Stacy, ditto Sabrina.

Sometimes I cut the un-pretty washi tape to be narrower and I use pieces more than once - they're just stuck to the machine. So they're less sticky, which I like, but do the job.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2017, 02:27 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I use post-it tape, personally. I like post-it tape because it doesn't stick and tear the cardstock (whereas some of the washi I've tried in the past did). I also use post-it tape to make temporary masks - especially when using the blending ink method and I need a straight line. I get my tape at Walmart, but you can also find it on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Post-Full-Adh...dp/B008DF54OG/).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2017, 02:25 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you line up dies when you use them 'face up'? Cut first, stamp later?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2017, 04:04 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Idea

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melso1View Post
How do you line up dies when you use them 'face up'? Cut first, stamp later?
I use the method Sabrina shared in post #5, with a bit of washi tape. Youtube has videos and the instructions from the link in her post are excellent.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2017, 06:01 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by maslexView Post
Oh wow, see THIS is why I love this site. I never would have thought to cut first, then stamp. Might have to practice a bit more tomorrow. It's quite the snow day here and will probably be the same tomorrow. So looks like it'll be a pajama & stampin' kinda day.
Oh my, hope you're enjoying all that snow!

Here's a good tutorial on the cut first, then stamp idea. (Jennifer M. and Prairie Paper have some good ones on die cutting/stamping multiples, too, if you're doing multiples)

I agree with Cook22 about die cutting with the cutting plate on top helping to keep it more flat. As much as I can, that's the way I do it. Also, flipping the plate every few cuts. But there are a few times when I'll put it under so I can really see exactly where that die is landing.* and a shout out to the fine people here who recommended using a piece of copy paper as a way to keep your CS clear of the residue from earlier die cuts ... it also reduces any lines getting creased into your image from cut marks from earlier cuts.

* if the coloring of a stamped image is pretty involved and I wanted to do the coloring first so I can toss it if I didn't like the end result, or if I wasn't planning to cut out an image, but then changed my mind ... my process is pretty fluid, what can I say?

Last edited by jeaniebean55; 12-10-2017 at 06:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2017, 06:29 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

Yesterday I used a magnetic pad for the 1st time with dies and will be adding it to my Christmas list. I didn't think it was that big a deal to tape my dies down but after having paper ripped ( using post it tape, washi, tape,etc) I'm sold.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2017, 07:07 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Another vote for cut first then stamp. If you have a stamp positioner this method is so easy. Cut the image, put the whole piece of paper in your positioner and insert the die cut back into the spot you cut it from. Line up your stamp and you are good to go!

I only use washi tape to hold a die in place if it’s important that it doesn’t shift. I’ve never noticed a crease showing up. But washi tape is very thin and easy to remove. Some people also use blue “painters tape” that you can find in the paint department of any hardware or big box store like Home Depot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2017, 07:18 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have a magnetic board with the die, it does help hold in place better than not using one. I have used tape on occasion, when I do, I pat the sticky side a few times with my finger to take most of the sticky away. (I Always use the tape on the back side of the piece being cut— that probably goes without saying but I said it anyway ) Then remove immediately after cutting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2017, 07:35 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I use some small post it notes to hold things in place........they can be reused over and over again and they always come off easily and don't leave any marks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2017, 11:16 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Well I'll be damned. I'll have to try this out next time I die cut something.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55View Post
Oh my, hope you're enjoying all that snow!

Here's a good tutorial on the cut first, then stamp idea. (Jennifer M. and Prairie Paper have some good ones on die cutting/stamping multiples, too, if you're doing multiples)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUFm6VvEYbM

I agree with Cook22 about die cutting with the cutting plate on top helping to keep it more flat. As much as I can, that's the way I do it. Also, flipping the plate every few cuts. But there are a few times when I'll put it under so I can really see exactly where that die is landing.* and a shout out to the fine people here who recommended using a piece of copy paper as a way to keep your CS clear of the residue from earlier die cuts ... it also reduces any lines getting creased into your image from cut marks from earlier cuts.

* if the coloring of a stamped image is pretty involved and I wanted to do the coloring first so I can toss it if I didn't like the end result, or if I wasn't planning to cut out an image, but then changed my mind ... my process is pretty fluid, what can I say?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2017, 11:29 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for your posts! The misti video just about blew my mind! So clever! Have fun stamping and cutting!
Reply With Quote Likes