Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Time to Organize (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/time-organize-315607/)

CKMom 01-15-2008 10:14 AM

Time to Organize

yes, sad but true, my paper has become a MESS!!!
I bought a nice stacking rack from ACMoore this week, room for tons of paper, but how should I sort it, I have two sided, designer, textured, SU, glossy, assorted other paper.... and am not sure how to make sense of it all. It would be so nice to be able to go for the SU rust paper and know exactly in my stash where I might find it.

LateBlossom 01-15-2008 10:59 AM

Here's how I organize mine.

8.5x11
  • SU colors, one Cropper Hopper vertical storage per family
  • SU neutrals, one CH
  • Other neutrals, one CH

12x12
  • Textured by colors of rainbow, 4 CH
  • Smooth by colors of rainbow, 2 CH
  • Patterned Paper by a combination of brand, theme, and colors that defies explanation, a bunch of the smaller CH holders

I think there's no right way, just whatever works for you. I've changed mine around lots, but it's stayed this way for several years now, so it must be working for me. I'm a compulsive organizer...

Cat 01-15-2008 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKMom (Post 8364754)
yes, sad but true, my paper has become a MESS!!!
I bought a nice stacking rack from ACMoore this week, room for tons of paper, but how should I sort it, I have two sided, designer, textured, SU, glossy, assorted other paper.... and am not sure how to make sense of it all. It would be so nice to be able to go for the SU rust paper and know exactly in my stash where I might find it.

i sort my paper like this: first, all SU! solids by color by family *3 colors to a folder. then, all my SU! designer 12x12 by family. after that comes all my scrapbook paper [whether printed or solid] sorted by hues [whites, yellows, oranges, reds, pinks, purples, greens, blues, brown, blacks]. there's a pic in my gallery... let me see if i can find it.

here ya go: http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...155&perpage=96

i made 12x12 file folders from 1.5 regular files; there's a link to directions on SCS *somewhere!

HTH

scrappindixie 01-15-2008 11:53 AM

I keep all of my carstock in CH vertical storage by color if the rainbow. It looks pretty and I like that! My problem is that I have no idea what to do with the big stacks of patterned paper that you get at Michael's and all of my other patterned paper. I've thought about sorting them by brand, theme, color...I'm just at a loss for what I should do. I hope someone on here will have a wonderful idea about that.
Marji

Jana Z 01-15-2008 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappindixie (Post 8366174)
I keep all of my carstock in CH vertical storage by color if the rainbow. It looks pretty and I like that! My problem is that I have no idea what to do with the big stacks of patterned paper that you get at Michael's and all of my other patterned paper. I've thought about sorting them by brand, theme, color...I'm just at a loss for what I should do. I hope someone on here will have a wonderful idea about that.
Marji

I just sorted all of my 12 x12 by colour. I got 4 3-drawer Sterilite containers and put one colour in each drawer. I separated the pads of paper from Michaels and Costco this way too. I just found that when I had it all separated (cardstock, patterned paper, SU all in different places) that I couldn't see what I had. The only exception was the true Christmas paper. It is in a drawer on its own. This also makes it very portable. Oh, and I also added all of my patterned 8.5 x 11 to these drawers too. So far it seems to be working out well. Hope that helps! :)

bettyjoanes 01-15-2008 05:55 PM

I have 8.5 x 11 in a 2 drawer file cabinet, and 12 x 12 in Cropper Hopper holders. They are in Expedit Shelf unit from Ikea

Jillgunter 01-16-2008 04:37 AM

I have a plastic file cabinet for my cardstock, I put all my SU cardstock in it. I would seperate your DP by season, nuetrals, etc. I like to keep all my SU DP together. I wish I could use a paper holder like you bought, but I share my stamping room with my kitties and they would tear it up.

Kris McGinn 01-16-2008 05:09 AM

I use Target cubes set up like a paper holder with shelves. I use that for my 12x12 and sort everything by color. When I am working on something, I always look for a particular color and flip through to find the paper I want. I put solid and patterned together. You'll find what works best for you.

lopo 01-16-2008 06:46 PM

paper sorting

Why you would not just sort by color/ color family. This way it is all together and neat. I only us SU paper as it the best quality and it is priced just right. I am a SU demo and I sell my paper by the sheet if my clients want to purchase only 2 sheets of a color they normely do not use. They love that they can buy that way. I sell out every couple of weeks

LindaF409 01-16-2008 07:36 PM

Vertically is the only way for me. I use wider plastic magazine holders from Walmart for the 8.5x11 paper and the Cropper Hopper paper holders for the 12x12. I have a whole shelf full of the paperholders and arrange my papers by colors,vellums,designer patterned papers,and embossed papers. The colored papers work from neutrals through all the shades of colors. What I like the best is that I can pluck one out of the racks with no problem!

happystamper62 01-19-2008 05:30 PM

I've been on a hunt for a better file system for my 12x12; I presently store 8.5X11 in file folders, by color, in a file cabinet. I love to turn slightly to the open drawer & find what I need quickly. Ideally, there would be hanging files for 12X12 which would also fit in the regular file drawers; I believe the drawers are deep & wide enough. But I haven't found hanging files in that size. I want vertical storage for my papers so I don't have to keep lifting up a pile, and shuffling thru it to see what I have. I'm considering the Cropper Hopper vertical holders as they seem to take up little space...

c-mouse 01-19-2008 05:42 PM

organize

I use three sort locations...8.5 x 11 is in hanging files in solid boxes that previously held the Saxon math program at our school.They have a wheeled base that holds 3 boxes--I have two sets.I bought the boxes at Surplus Auction that our schooldistrict holds each year. I sort it according to the rainbox...ROY G. BIV and make multiple folders so that all the red,rose and pink are first, then all the orange,pumpkin, then all the yellows(banana, saffron, summer sun, so forth) then the greens, then blues, Purples, and finally the neutrals. My 12 X 12 is in the cropper hopper vertical files and the same order. My scraps are in a clear lidded tote purchased at Westlake Hardware with colored file folders in the rainbow order(only the 7 plus white , black and brown) total of 10. I cut the file folders down to be the right height for the tote ( about 8 inches). I can get to the cropper hoppers while sitting or standing at my stamping desk, the hanging folder boxes are under a layout table just to my left and the scrap tote is on a portable table that I get out when working whether cards or scrapbooking. Very handy and the scrap tote goes to crops nicely too. This works well for me and I have only about $40.00 invested in storage items. They will move well when we change houses in the next 2 or 3 years.:)

risingsun436 01-20-2008 05:12 AM

I bought from an office supply store, Paper holders that go on top of a desk, you can stack them. I have 5 stacks of 12. 1 stack for each color family and 1 stack for the nutral colors. It was kind of costly at first, but it does look great in my craft room. They hold 8.5 x 11. My 12 x 12 paper I have a storage cube that I got at ac moore craft store. It has 3 cubes and each cube has 6 sections in it for 12 x 12 and all 3 cubes connect. it also has wheels. I just love it. I am going to try and put a picture of my craft room this week. I just finished it and it so cool. I can actually do some stamping and such.

ScrampShopper 01-20-2008 09:35 AM

Can someone with the Jetmax cubes from Michaels check something for me? If I put a 4 shelf cube vertically, would the cropper hopper plastic paper holders fit into them. (Or could someone take the inside measurements of that cube for me please?) My husband just gave in to letting me buy some cubes, and I want them mostly for paper storage.

askagain 01-20-2008 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrampShopper (Post 8433706)
Can someone with the Jetmax cubes from Michaels check something for me? If I put a 4 shelf cube vertically, would the cropper hopper plastic paper holders fit into them. (Or could someone take the inside measurements of that cube for me please?) My husband just gave in to letting me buy some cubes, and I want them mostly for paper storage.

Not sure if you saw it, but Michael's has these on sale 50% off this week....

ScrampShopper 01-20-2008 04:46 PM

Thanks AskAgain

askagain 01-21-2008 06:32 AM

You're welcome!