Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-01-2019, 07:39 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Colored pencils ?

I am interested in getting colored pencils but I don't want to use a blending solution for them. Can I use prisma colored pencils without blending solution? I put these on my son list to get me for Christmas they are on sale at Amazon with free shipping

Are these a good colored pencil to start out with? Any other suggestions?

I'm a copic user, and trying to perfect my water coloring with zig clean color markers and I do blending with ink and blender pen,sometimes or with a water brush.

Thanks for your help!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2019, 09:57 AM   #2  
sbd
Rubber Obsessor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a blender pencil that can be found in the art section of the big box stores. Prisma pencils are very good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2019, 10:05 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Smile

I use Prismacolors. I love them! Crayola pencils are okay but I find that the Prisma's are more vibrant and blend easier.

Alot of times I use my white pencil to blend. Do not have a blender pencil, the pencils are nice and blendable without, IMO.

Watched a lot of youtube videos to get tips and trick techniques.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2019, 10:50 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

Prismacolor pencils have a higher pigment to binder ratio than, say, Crayola or similar, so they are much more vibrant. I bought a set of cheap colored pencils off Amazon and they are fun to play with, but I don't get nearly the rich color results from them that I do with my Prismas.

As Dorie95 said, there are lots of YouTube videos to show how to use colored pencils without a blending solution. The reason that I like using them with the solution is that you get a sort of watercolor look that way, with less mess and (I feel) more control than with actual watercolors.

I hear that Polychromos is another brand that people love, but I've never tried them, so can't speak to those.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2019, 11:33 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

Coming back to add a HUGE thank you to Leslie for mentioning the sale on Amazon for Prismacolor pencils. I only have 24 or so and have been wanting more but the price point kept me from getting them (hence my exploration into cheap pencils). Santa is bringing me the 150 pencil set, as well as a zippered case to put them in and the Tgaal sharpener that was recommended by Dini and others in a recent thread. Great price and I'm SO excited! The grandkids will get to play with my cheapies...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2019, 03:56 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Thank you all for your help. I didn't get any notification for this thread
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2019, 04:10 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Dina has a nice tutorial Shading with Pencils Tutorial - Splitcoaststampers. I swear by Prismacolors and use a slightly lighter shade to blend. I only use gamsol if I want a very blended, almost paint look.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2019, 07:24 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Covington CrafterView Post
Dina has a nice tutorial Shading with Pencils Tutorial - Splitcoaststampers. I swear by Prismacolors and use a slightly lighter shade to blend. I only use gamsol if I want a very blended, almost paint look.
Thank you for the link
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2019, 11:29 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,049 Likes on 809 Posts

The Polychromos work well for blending too, the thing is to build up layers and use card with a little texture, not ultra-smooth. Like Carla I only use any other blender if I want a different finish, not purely for blending purposes.
The very best ones I have for blending appear not to be made anymore :-(. I love my Couleur d'Art from Conte a Paris. Someone was very kind and sent me a set she found a couple of years ago, so I've been able to replace some of the shortest stumps of the most used colours from my original set, but some day they'll all be gone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2019, 02:46 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a huge Prismacolor thread over in the tool and product talk forum, as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2019, 05:46 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know most here will recommend Prismacolor but I've found the Faber-Castell pencils to be the best. I've tried several brands, Prismacolor included, and still prefer the Faber-Castell for blending. If you go to an art store, and probably some larger craft stores, they should have open stock of both brands plus a few others so you can play with them and compare how they sit on the paper and how they blend. I don't need Gamosol or anything when I use the Faber-Castell, they layer well and blend wonderfully.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2019, 06:56 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Prismacolor was the required brand for classes/workshops for a color certification program and certain colors specified for color rendering (buildings/interior spaces). While I don’t like coloring, I can’t let them go. Part fond memories, part when I do have to color, they never let me down and easily mix colors.

I never found their blending pencil useful but that could be me. If blending solution odor is what you dislike - and my apologies if I missed something - there is an odorless blending solution that I like better than some of the alternatives.

A few times I had to color over black & white copies of photos using a bright white copy paper, and even then they worked well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2019, 08:33 AM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have every kind of colored pencils. Love them all, but my go to are the Prismacolors as they are available at my local Michael's for a quick and inexpensive new one (using a coupon). They all work well, and no blending solution is necessary. Keep adding layers to fill the tooth.

Just get comfortable with whatever brand you get and they will work for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2019, 08:41 AM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Default Blenders for colored pencils

I like the Prismacolor Pencils best and I have used the following blenders:
Koh-I-Noor Hardtmuth Polycolor - looks like a regular wood pencil with a pen eraser instead of lead - comes in a two pack - got mine at Michael's - in the art section - works with different types of colored pencils.
Artist's Loft Colored Pencil Blender - this is for wax type pencils - works good with Prismacolor - easiest and fastest to use - my favorite - sorry, I forgot where I purchased it.
Gamsol - comes in 4.2 fl oz bottle - works okay - messier used with Qtips - I put some in a cleaned out eye medicine bottle to make it easier to use with a Qtip.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2019, 09:17 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

I love my Prismacolor color pencils. I find using a blender, Gamsol or going without depends on the results I’m looking for. I find a light touch and layers with colored pencils works well. Also, if I’m using a paper with some tooth or texture, a sharp point and light touch will smoothly work the color onto my paper. I can use a more rounded tip with smoother paper. There are a number of good Youtube tutorials on coloring with pencils. Though much is over my head, I have found some of the best tips and techniques from the more “artist” style tutorial over the “crafty” style. Enjoy your new pencils!� ����
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2019, 10:18 AM   #16  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by hugabearView Post
I like the Prismacolor Pencils best and I have used the following blenders:
Koh-I-Noor Hardtmuth Polycolor - looks like a regular wood pencil with a pen eraser instead of lead - comes in a two pack - got mine at Michael's - in the art section - works with different types of colored pencils.
Artist's Loft Colored Pencil Blender - this is for wax type pencils - works good with Prismacolor - easiest and fastest to use - my favorite - sorry, I forgot where I purchased it.
Gamsol - comes in 4.2 fl oz bottle - works okay - messier used with Qtips - I put some in a cleaned out eye medicine bottle to make it easier to use with a Qtip.
I got an empty Copic marker to put Gamsol in. Works wonderfully!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2019, 10:28 AM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
I am interested in getting colored pencils but I don't want to use a blending solution for them. Can I use prisma colored pencils without blending solution? I put these on my son list to get me for Christmas they are on sale at Amazon with free shipping

Are these a good colored pencil to start out with? Any other suggestions?

I'm a copic user, and trying to perfect my water coloring with zig clean color markers and I do blending with ink and blender pen,sometimes or with a water brush.

Thanks for your help!

I am a big copic user. And bought the Prismacolor pencils. I do use gamsol with them, but not all the time. I frequently color with a copic and then fine line items with the prisma pencil (something like a flower center, or something just to big to “polish”off with a copic.
I usually end up using the copics more because I like how easy they are to use. I don’t like lines from the pencil so that’s why I end up using gambol with them if I color strictly with them. But they are wonderful pencils!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2019, 12:41 PM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 108 Likes on 70 Posts

I don't use any blended solutions with my Prismacolor pencils, but instead use multiple light to medium layers to create the look I want. I usually lay down a layer of Copic marker first to add to the richness.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2019, 12:52 PM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I used to use tortillions and stumps like these for blending with odorless Gamsol, with the sandpaper sharpener: Amazon.com: Stumps And Tortillions Set - 2 PACK

There are better prices/packs but this happens to show all of the pieces. And this little article might be handy.There are many others though and the pros out there might have better suggestions. I only color under duress, but familiarity with tools and blending methods has been useful.

The Only Methods You'll Ever Need for Blending Colored Pencil - Carrie L. Lewis, Artist
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2019, 01:03 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Have you tried googling I came up with many links
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2019, 02:17 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
The Polychromos work well for blending too, the thing is to build up layers and use card with a little texture, not ultra-smooth. Like Carla I only use any other blender if I want a different finish, not purely for blending purposes.
The very best ones I have for blending appear not to be made anymore :-(. I love my Couleur d'Art from Conte a Paris. Someone was very kind and sent me a set she found a couple of years ago, so I've been able to replace some of the shortest stumps of the most used colours from my original set, but some day they'll all be gone.
Amazon.com: conte a paris Amazon has some things in this brand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2019, 02:21 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeanChaneyAZView Post
I got an empty Copic marker to put Gamsol in. Works wonderfully!
I did the same thing! It works great and so easy to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2019, 03:20 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrtdmaView Post
Have you tried googling I came up with many links
Yes I did. I wanted personal opinions from people that's why I posted my question.

Doing my googling I came across a video called why I don't use prisma pencils anymore. I lot of rambling and nonsense from this woman. I prefer opinions for SCSers with experience with these pencils

I don't like watching hours of videos when I can get the nifty gritty asking a question here

So I am getting the 72 pack of prisma pencils from my son for Christmas 😏
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2019, 05:12 PM   #24  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

Just to throw my 2 cents worth in- I am in love with Derwent Inktense watercolor pencils. When you touch your coloring with a damp brush, it's breath-taking to see what happens. I got mine through Dick Blick- sign up for emails and wait until the deal pleases you.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2019, 06:48 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 316 Likes on 202 Posts
Default My favorite source

When you get to the point of needing to replace individual pencils (or just want to create a custom selection) try DickBlick they usually have the best prices and they carry ALL the Prismacolor Premier colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2019, 09:46 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaylestampsView Post
When you get to the point of needing to replace individual pencils (or just want to create a custom selection) try DickBlick they usually have the best prices and they carry ALL the Prismacolor Premier colors.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2019, 11:05 PM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MN_StamperView Post
I don't use any blended solutions with my Prismacolor pencils, but instead use multiple light to medium layers to create the look I want. I usually lay down a layer of Copic marker first to add to the richness.
This is my method too. I don't lay down a layer of Copic's first. Sometimes I do, it depends. When I first started learning about colored pencils from professional artists I learned layering. I never heard of blending solutions till I joined here. Then I learned about laying down a layer of alcohol markers/then colored pencils from the coloring book artists. I love those results.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2019, 11:47 AM   #28  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,119 Likes on 502 Posts

I've stayed out of the conversation, because there are too many angles to consider, and overthinking is my favorite 'excess' (you know, when a strength becomes a weakness...)!

This will be random, I promise.

I'm a professional pencil artist, but I color stamped images differently than I would color a realistic drawing of a dog.

I love Prismacolors for certain subjects (but not dogs or anything with hard-lined detail). They have a wide range of beautiful skin tones and neutrals, and they layer and burnish beautifully.

I tend to mix brands. For portrait work, I use Polychromos the most, along with Pablos (still working on filling in my set). For mixing brands, Prismacolors work the best for me as a base layer, with the harder oil based brands over top for the finer details.

You don't 'need' a solvent for any brand. Again, it depends on what you're coloring, and what kind of a result you want. Some solvents change the color of the pigment you've laid down, which is a grand disappointment if you've spend hours building up a perfect blended area.

I have another tutorial here where I talk more about pressure and blending, and show how to use another pencil for burnishing:

Pencil Monochrome Tutorial - Splitcoaststampers

Consumer Crafts has the best price on individual Prismacolors - $1.09 right now. >>>> Prismacolor Colored Pencils
They were carrying other brands, but those are now on clearance. Sad, since those were a better price too.

You've gotten some good advice here, and you made a good choice for your son.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2019, 07:43 PM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

I prefer watercolor pencils such as Derwent Inktense since they are permanet when dry. They work well on fabrics that will be washed and dried. I also have the Prima watercolor pencils but I don't reach for them that often since coloring is not a technique I do often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2019, 05:34 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
I've stayed out of the conversation, because there are too many angles to consider, and overthinking is my favorite 'excess' (you know, when a strength becomes a weakness...)!

This will be random, I promise.

I'm a professional pencil artist, but I color stamped images differently than I would color a realistic drawing of a dog.

I love Prismacolors for certain subjects (but not dogs or anything with hard-lined detail). They have a wide range of beautiful skin tones and neutrals, and they layer and burnish beautifully.

I tend to mix brands. For portrait work, I use Polychromos the most, along with Pablos (still working on filling in my set). For mixing brands, Prismacolors work the best for me as a base layer, with the harder oil based brands over top for the finer details.

You don't 'need' a solvent for any brand. Again, it depends on what you're coloring, and what kind of a result you want. Some solvents change the color of the pigment you've laid down, which is a grand disappointment if you've spend hours building up a perfect blended area.

I have another tutorial here where I talk more about pressure and blending, and show how to use another pencil for burnishing:

Pencil Monochrome Tutorial - Splitcoaststampers

Consumer Crafts has the best price on individual Prismacolors - $1.09 right now. >>>> Prismacolor Colored Pencils
They were carrying other brands, but those are now on clearance. Sad, since those were a better price too.

You've gotten some good advice here, and you made a good choice for your son.
Thank you so much. I plan just to use the pencils to color with. I have been seeing images colored on Kraft paper and I really want to give it a try.

Some people have said I need paper with tooth. I have Neenah #65 and #80. Also mixed media paper. And papertrey #110 and ginak #110.
Oh and Georgia pacific paper.
Is there another paper you would recommend?

Thanks. I appreciate your help.

I am a great admirer of your pet drawings. I follow you. When I get enough money I have 2 wonderful dogs that I would love to get portraits drawn. But then again if I didn't order so much from Unity I would have the money for one drawing. Silly me 😏
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2019, 05:39 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
I prefer watercolor pencils such as Derwent Inktense since they are permanet when dry. They work well on fabrics that will be washed and dried. I also have the Prima watercolor pencils but I don't reach for them that often since coloring is not a technique I do often.
I have water color pencils. I seem to do better with a blender pen than a brush with water. Sometimes this just seems like to much work and I go for my copics. I want to just color, not to interested in blending I have seen lot of images colored on Kraft paper and want to give this technique a try
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2019, 04:52 AM   #32  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,119 Likes on 502 Posts

I like to recommend this Bristol pad, because each sheet has a smooth side and a toothy side - if you're not sure which you prefer, you can test them both.

Canson XL Recycled Bristol Pads | BLICK Art Materials

I do my pencil portraits on matboard, which has a medium tooth and stands up to all my layers of fur, plus can take water media.

I have another pad to test (haven't had time yet) that Sandy Allnock recommended - it is this one:

https://www.dickblick.com/products/l...ng-paper-pads/
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2019, 08:20 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
I like to recommend this Bristol pad, because each sheet has a smooth side and a toothy side - if you're not sure which you prefer, you can test them both.

Canson XL Recycled Bristol Pads | BLICK Art Materials

I do my pencil portraits on matboard, which has a medium tooth and stands up to all my layers of fur, plus can take water media.

I have another pad to test (haven't had time yet) that Sandy Allnock recommended - it is this one:

Legion Stonehenge Drawing Paper Pads | BLICK Art Materials
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes