Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-10-2012, 07:50 AM   #41  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by turkiView Post
...and you can't make favorites.
That is the primary reason I signed up - I grew tired of taking screen shots of cards I liked/admired and sorting and storing them in my hard drive, so when I learned about adding favourites I took the plunge. I lurked for quite a while otherwise, but did jump into a thread or two periodically. I am still not a prolific poster, but I do like to read and if I feel I have something to contribute I am not shy. I also started a gallery last year, not so much as to show off my creations, but moreso to create a pictorial record of my cards instead of taking pictures of them, sorting and storing them on my hard drive. They are all stored here (good and bad!) so if I need to refer back to one, I can just go through my own gallery, or if I need inspiration, I can just go through my favourites.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2012, 07:52 AM   #42  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JubleView Post
When I first joined SCS I was still working. I would pop in during working hours and didn't
feel it was appropriate to post on my working computer. Then I'd go home and get busy
and really didn't have a lot of time. When I did post it was generally requesting info. And always someone would respond and I appreciated that, and still do. Maybe real life keeps
many from posting. That was my experience anyway.
this is exactly ME!!!
Someday when I retire I'll have more time. LOL
Thanks for the tons of inspiration!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #43  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I loved this site right from the start and I can't even remember when I first jumped into the forums. I joined in 2004. My user number is in the 7000's and my first gallery post was in 2005.

Maybe some people are just not as into papercrafting as we are. GASP!!!!

Some other interesting things are that the first users appeared in 2003.
That means that this site will be TEN years old next year.
Quite an accomplishment!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #44  
Cardstock Collector

I don't post much because I'm truly afraid of the grammar and spelling police that lurk on these sites. I have learning disabilities and have been made to feel bad because of them. I love the beautiful works of art in the galleries and the discussions. I'm just not comfortable posting much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #45  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainydayEeyoreView Post
I don't post much because I'm truly afraid of the grammar and spelling police that lurk on these sites. I have learning disabilities and have been made to feel bad because of them. I love the beautiful works of art in the galleries and the discussions. I'm just not comfortable posting much.
I'm so sorry you have been made to feel bad. That's not right! I do understand what you are saying because unfortunately there are those kinds of insensitive people who hang around all over the internet.

I have found this site to be more friendly overall than other discussion forums I've participated in. For the most part, folks are very friendly and helpful and I enjoy coming here.

I'm glad you posted and that you are enjoying the galleries and the discussions.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #46  
Matboard Maniac

Thumbs up

Quote:

If you want to post, I really encourage you to do so. Considering how often I see a typo in a post because someone was trying to type too fast, and didn't have the time or initiative to read through their post before submitting it. It's really no problem, I've gotten good at just filling in the right word as I'm reading. I value reading the thoughts of everyone, regardless of their background.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #47  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by afdishView Post
If you want to post, I really encourage you to do so. Considering how often I see a typo in a post because someone was trying to type too fast, and didn't have the time or initiative to read through their post before submitting it. It's really no problem, I've gotten good at just filling in the right word as I'm reading. I value reading the thoughts of everyone, regardless of their background.
And sometimes it's not because we haven't read through our posts before hitting submit. So many times, I have gone back over some of my postings and found a typo/grammatical mistake days or weeks later that I didn't catch before posting - and I always preview my posts before submitting. For myself, I never really worry about those things - I have a 19 year old daughter that can't spell if her life depended on it, and if that doesn't make me cringe, nothing here could make me cringe!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #48  
Compulsive Stamper

As you can see I really don't post and some of what every one already said is true (except the spamming). I just started stamping last year and I have very few stamps. I am no where near the talent that is displayed on here but I do come to see what everyone is doing and learn. There is a lot of inspiration on this site.
I have never uploaded any of my creations here. I mainly put them on my blog and just add my blog address in my signature and I don't even remember if I figured out how to do that here or even if I can. Also it is true that sometimes health or other reasons come into play. I haven't been on here awhile....since before my BD which was Oct. I felt if I had something to contribute to a conversation I would certainly post but for the most part I just come for inspiration and to learn. However.....this year I will be posting more (my New Year's Resolution was to get more involved).

Sue in CT
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #49  
Crimping Master

What a great thread! So many people have posted comments who don't often post!!! I appreciate that everyone is so kind and helpful here. Even the hugely talented help the rest of us. I have learned so much and have improved my techniques by reading the tutorials and looking at the examples.

Two things that might answer some of the above posted questions: You have to resize your photos to make them small enough to post here. In Photoshop, on the Edit page, at the top, one of the options is labeled Image.
Click on that and a menu drops down. One of those options is Resize (or Resample on other versions). Click on it and change the pixel size to no larger than 640 x 480 and save it. If you have questions, ask and someone will help you! (That's how I learned.)

Since cards move through the gallery so fast, the only way to get comments is if your card is linked to a thread, like a challenge. We are all going to tell you how much we like it and how beautiful it is!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #50  
Matboard Maniac

LOL...another thread killer here!

Well when I joined a while back I was mostly a scrapbooker. My children had started getting older which means I had less pictures. I was looking for another way to paper craft...ahem...I must also say that is about the time I discovered stamps. I was stamping on pages before it was the thing to do...lol. I was on lots of design teams, had lots of stuff published and was VERY comfortable scrapping. Well card making was a whole 'nother world!!! I quickly learned cards made by card makers and cards made by scrapbookers are not created equal...THIS IS MERELY MY OPINION. The cards I were drawn to here were amazing and beautiful!!! A couple of years ago I had just started getting comfortable making a decent "card maker" card. Well then divorce came along and took me away from paper crafting for a couple of years. Now I'm back and don't have a clue what is going on roflol...so I dont post often. I'm re-learning and having a good time though!!

Fun question!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #51  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by turkiView Post
You can look without signing up, but you can't see all of the posts in the gallery and you can't make favorites.

But I wonder what percentage of those people with no posts had signed up and looked around and then decided not to visit the site anymore, for one reason or another. They wouldn't have "un-signed" up...
This! I signed up and then after looking around initially I left. A few years later I came back and had forgotten I had ever signed up to begin with! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #52  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafty ChelleView Post
LOL...another thread killer here!

... I quickly learned cards made by card makers and cards made by scrapbookers are not created equal...THIS IS MERELY MY OPINION. ...
Fun question!
I'd agree that they're not equal, I just wanted to say that as a non-scrapbooker I've always loved the look of cards that I look at and think that they're more scrapbook style .
There was once a time I felt like a thread-killer too, I can identify with that one .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2012, 10:55 PM   #53  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

just posting so you won't be a thread killer!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #54  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I must admit it bothers me when a card is "favorited", but there are zero comments. I used to be guilty of doing this, but now I comment each time I favorite a card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #55  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
You made me laugh out loud - literally! I rarely post and when I do it's usually one of two things:
1 - I have a question
2 - Words of encouragement to someone who has posted that they felt 'slighted' or 'insulted' by another poster

Sometimes I only have 15 or 20 minutes to log on a check out some pics or posts and 2 hours later I find out I've missed my party/ride/flight/wedding - horrible addictive site this one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 03:14 AM   #56  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 206 Likes on 185 Posts

I 'lurked' for a long time before I got up the nerve to start a gallery....so glad I did. I love it here!! Come and visit everyday.
I have a questions....curious....how did you ever find out those stats about the number of people here and how many post???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 04:52 AM   #57  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheryl02View Post
I must admit it bothers me when a card is "favorited", but there are zero comments. I used to be guilty of doing this, but now I comment each time I favorite a card.
I AM guilty of this. I do favorite cards and do not always leave a
comment. Something i need to work on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 07:12 AM   #58  
Gabfest Goddess

Found this site thru e-bay, lurked, signed up and than joined some recipe swaps, got brave enough to post pictures and finally was hit HARD with the stamping bug, you all are a bunch of enablers!

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 07:15 AM   #59  
Gabfest Goddess

PS. I've meet some wonderful people on this site too! For the vast majority of the time, people are so willing to help and share and that is why I come here more than once a day!!

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 08:41 AM   #60  
Matboard Maniac

Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
roflol! I SO wanted to say you tickled me and thank you but didn't want to be the thread killer...then a couple people came and posted and now I probably am...haha!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #61  

Quote:

Originally Posted by k dunbrookView Post
I 'lurked' for a long time before I got up the nerve to start a gallery....so glad I did. I love it here!! Come and visit everyday.
I have a questions....curious....how did you ever find out those stats about the number of people here and how many post???
I'm not sure how one finds out how many people have zero posts.
To find out how many members there are, go to the top level of the forums (where all the main forums are listed):
Splitcoaststampers Forums
Now scroll all the way to the bottom.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #62  

Quote:

Originally Posted by k dunbrookView Post
Okay, I think I figured out how the OP came up with those that have 0 posts. She subtracted the active users from the total number of users. Just follow the link in my post above and you will see the stats I'm talking about.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 09:01 AM   #63  

My mum is one of those that has zero posts. She's barely comfortable with computers so the idea of posting is a foreign concept for her. I was absolutely SHOCKED the other day when she commented on one of my photo's! So, she's now a 1 post gal
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #64  

Quote:

Grammar police suck. I encourage you to post freely and enjoy the wonderful group of people on this site that range from funny to inspiring, goofy to supportive, silly to incredibly talented. If you ever encounter one of the dreaded grammar police, revel in the fact that you can instantly make them feel like a turd by pointing out that you have a learning disability.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #65  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheryl02View Post
I completely agree! I used to upload my cards here (under a different username), making sure to fill in all of the details about my cards, and became frustrated that so many people would *favorite* them, but rarely did anyone take the time to leave a comment. If you like a person's card enough to *favorite* it, and they've been kind enough to take the time to complete the details that went into making that card, I'm certain they will feel very thankful and encouraged by even the simplest of comments left .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2012, 03:52 AM   #66  
Swapper of the Month February 2013

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

I think a lot of it is time. While many people use the site to gain knowledge and inspiration - they may be searching for one specific thing and don't have time to go through everything and read and post. I don't have children at home but I do work full time and so between work and trying to keep up with things at home when it comes to stamping I would rather be doing it than talking about it. Ooo, just realized that sounded sort of snippy...but it's not meant to be at all. I love SCS and do post. I've been involved with swaps and even hosted a couple. And to be honest, only recently have I been leaving love in the gallery. I've met some great people here...and even have been lucky enough to meet one face to face! I think it's wonderful that the internet can bring people together who might not otherwise met (can you believe I met my hubby online! LOL!!!). But I wonder if many don't post because they use their time here at SCS to learn about a product or technique or get some inspiration in the gallery and then head off to their stamping area to create. For me SCS has been such a great tool! I've learned so much, been inspired, been encouraged (both in crafting and in non-crafting), and have been able to be an encouragement I hope. Ok, so I think I'm rambling now so I'll shut up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #67  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinChrissyleaView Post
I think there's just a lot of folks who like the inspiration, yet don't feel the need to be involved socially. I've been around since 2004 (I'm number 1657 I think), and actually a bit before that as I had another user name that I forgot or something. I was involved socially for a time, but now I just lurk about.
Yes, completely agree with this and the other explanations that have been offered. A few other thoughts:
- I, for one, was a reader/viewer for a long time before signing up partly because I was rather new to online activity and thought that giving by my info I might incur spam, sales pitches, etc.
I did join once this concern was alleviated. You do have to join in order to see all the content and be able to tag favorites.

- Although I'm very social, I strictly limit my online socializing (including Facebook, etc.) because I get too easily drawn in and then spend way too much time when I should be getting things done, getting in some exercise, etc. (or, for Pete's sake, CRAFTING!)

- As others have mentioned, I tend to post mostly when either I have a question or can perhaps offer some help to others.

- It's quite possible to fully enjoy Splitcoast just for its amazing galleries! I'm sure a lot of people come to view and never even end up in the forums.

It's all good!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2012, 11:01 AM   #68  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS RAK Coordinator
Swapper of the Month December 2012

Received 3,292 Likes on 2,479 Posts

I have a theory about why the high number of people with zero posts. SCS lists the total number members of over 336,000 and the active members are just over 95,000. When this site was "for sale" a few years ago--what if the number of total members was much higher than it was say a year before? What if a huge number of new member names and emails addresses were added to "show" that it is truly the #1 stamping/scrapping forum?

As Sabrina mentioned, as a BRAK Committee Coordinator, we go through the lists all the time and it is a bit frustrating to go through pages and pages of member lists with names of people with no posts.

Again, this is just a thought I have had since I have been actively going through the member lists every month or so--and too noticed so many names that do not seem to be a real member after all.

Join Our Challenge Your Stash Group--click Here!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #69  
Inking Addict

For me, there just isn't enough time in a day. I sneak on here and look at the challenges and sketches. I've posted in my gallery but not for some time. Everyone has such great ideas and I find that if I have a questions to post, someone has beat me to it. Thanks for all the great answers and opinions. I believe that I'm becoming a better card maker because of it. And truthfully, I don't care about typos. We are all human and in a rush.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #70  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love to come here to see what all my friends are up to....there are so many kind people here...and I can't see you but I consider you all friends. This is a great place...love love love it here.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #71  
Stazon Splitcoast

A lot of the people with 0 posts are from years ago, aren't they? I think people stumble upon it, then forget, and come back and sign up again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2012, 03:07 AM   #72  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gram2boyzView Post
I'd be interested to know what percent of the people on here upload to the gallery.

Well, if the number of people who have ever posted is just under 76,000, then just about half of them have galleries...28,500.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2012, 07:19 AM   #73  
Gallery Gazer

I Lurked for a while then started posting...but felt because I was from the UK that no one was really interested in what I would have to say :(.So I now just pop in every now and again to see whats going on and drool at the amazing gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #74  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by paperstrokerView Post
I Lurked for a while then started posting...but felt because I was from the UK that no one was really interested in what I would have to say :(.So I now just pop in every now and again to see whats going on and drool at the amazing gallery.
Me! Me! I'm interested. And I'll bet a lot of others are, too. We have posters from all over the world and I always love reading about papercrafting in other places.

I'm especially partial to the UK. Always have been. Love all the BBC series that they show here on PBS, and give me a good British mystery any day.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #75  
Polyshrink Goddess

I joined a little over a year ago and have found lots of inspiration viewing the gallery. Only recently checked out the forums and wow the info I have found! Thanks for all of the inspiration, ideas, product reviews, etc. I've only posted one card - which I was so out of element -for our son's birthday. Maybe I'll try again to post a card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #76  
Cardstock Collector

All right you all are making me come out of the woodwork! I have never posted before beacause I usually do not have much new to say that no one else has. I come here because the inspiration on here is wonderful. My new goal is now to post more often!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #77  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by asraidustView Post
All right you all are making me come out of the woodwork! I have never posted before beacause I usually do not have much new to say that no one else has. I come here because the inspiration on here is wonderful. My new goal is now to post more often!
Oh well, don't worry if it's not new....we repeat ourselves here all the time. (At least I know I do.) You don't get to over 6500 posts by saying only new stuff, lol.

Glad you're planning on being more involved.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2012, 01:24 AM   #78  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Me! Me! I'm interested. And I'll bet a lot of others are, too. We have posters from all over the world and I always love reading about papercrafting in other places.

I'm especially partial to the UK. Always have been. Love all the BBC series that they show here on PBS, and give me a good British mystery any day.
I might be persuaded to post a bit more often then
Plenty of good tv programmes here but have to say they are not as good as those we watch from the US...have just loved watching Rookie Blue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2012, 11:33 AM   #79  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been a member for several years, but really only ventured into the forums section more recently. There is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much stuff on this site and sometimes it isn't intuitive -- at least at first blush. Time is always at a premium, so believing I'd have to take a significant chunk of it to learn my way around, I tended to skip it and just stay within the gallery. I would never claim to be shy, but often my only child-ness makes me tend to not think about making the effort with social interactions -- IRL or online.

Awhile back I got an e-mail telling me that one of my cards was named a favorite for that week. Wow! I didn't even know there was a weekly thread for such things. But it really did make my day, so I checked it out and now I do try to contribute to both the CAS and the regular Favorites thread each Sunday to pay forward that great feeling I had when I was named.

I've also tried to make more of an effort to comment on more of the cards that I put into my favorites. There is a reason I've picked them, so why not tell the creator? When I CASE somebody's card, in addition to listing it in the card description, I try to remember to PM that person to say thanks for the inspiration and invite them to see where I went with it.

More recently, I've been trying to train myself to take 20 minutes or so several evenings to check the General Stamping Talk forum to see what is new and put in my $0.02 where I can.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2012, 12:09 PM   #80  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I, too, am a "learner" - I like that term. I started a gallery a few years ago but I can't be bothered, now. I come here to get ideas and keep up with the chit-chat, but I very seldom post. I am very much an introvert and that could be part of the reason. I love how friendly and helpful everyone is on here and I appreciate how much I have learned. Don't know what I would do without SCS!
Reply With Quote Likes