Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking my days are numbered...

I apologize if this is a duplicate thread...

Just not feeling it with SU's new catalog. I have been around a while and had always pooh poohed these kind of posts.

As a hobby demo I have been fortunate to be able to afford to keep my demo discount, bu this catalog is...well...not doing it for me...I was not wowed by ANYTHING. i love new stuff but other companies seem to utterly surprise me each month...Ah I am torn on keeping up esp since my wish list barely hit $300 and I am NOT investing in new SU ink pads....or can somebody convince me otherwise???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2012, 12:17 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I looked at this catalog and immediately fell in love with one of the "new" stamp sets. Then I found out that the set I'm head over heels about isn't new at all. It was released in last year's Summer Mini. :oops:

It's not like Occasions Mini, in which there was hardly anything that looked interesting. There are things in this catalog that I think are cute, but not much that makes me want to open my pocketbook and shell out the money Stampin' Up is asking for their product.

But then, I think I'd feel this way about almost any company. I tend to find a couple things I really want from one company, a few more from another, one more here, two more there.

I do have to chuckle at your comment: "my wish list barely hit $300". LOL My own Stampin' Up wish list is currently less than $100 and that includes retiring items and a punch.

I guess the questions you need to ask yourself are:
1) Is the time I put into being a demo worth the discount I receive?
2) Am I buying what I love or am I buying mediocre stuff just to make my quota?
3) Would I buy these items at full price if I were not a demo?
4) Is my commitment to Stampin' Up helping my creativity by allowing me to buy more items at a discounted price?
5) Would my creativity be hampered if my money bought fewer, full-priced items elsewhere?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2012, 12:29 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Forgot to add that I usually enjoy Close to My Heart, but thought the latest Spring/Summer catalog was a dud.

Perhaps the recession is stifling the designers' creativity.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2012, 02:48 AM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

A few years ago I was also a hobby demo. At first it was awesome as I was ordering quite a bit for myself and doing a couple of workshops here and there. Then, as that began to die off I was soon buying everything for myself and after about a year I began to have problems. I became discouraged because many of the things I had ordered became discontinued. I could no longer use them in workshops and I became very discouraged. Seemed like I was just treading water. Soon I gave up and since then just order from a friend of mine instead. Much easier for me. No longer did I have to worry about investing in stamps/product to demo that might soon be discontinued. No longer did I have to deal with my black ink pads stamping purple at workshops...ect. Much easier, for me at least!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2012, 03:45 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I haven't seen the new catalog yet (I'm not a demo), so this is just a general observation... I find myself looking at EVERYthing by EVERY company, and there's not a lot that I'm interested in. It seems like everything - or at least a lot of it - is starting to look like everything else, or a re-release of something so similar to what I already own that it's not worth getting the "new" version. There are exceptions, of course, but it seems (to me, at least) that inspiration is lacking across the board. Surprisingly, I've been buying retired (LONG retired!) sets from the buy/sell/trade forum because they appeal to me more than newer ones. I use what I like and don't worry about if it's "new" or "trendy" or whatever. I've been a Close to My Heart demo and an SU! demo in the past, but I have a hard time swearing allegiance to any particular company, so I don't...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2012, 03:58 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I am not going to get the new stamp pads until they are needed. I decided this year that I would get reinkers for all the pads so when I placed my order I added the reinker sets so I have them all now that is almost 100.00 and I am not going to waste that. Like you I am mostly a hobby demo so I only do about 3 ws a year and they are during SAB so I don't see the need for new pads (yet)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2012, 04:05 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think it totally makes sense to evaluate as you go whether being a demo makes sense for you. Melissa had some excellent questions to think about and I also say think about why you signed up and what you are looking for as a demo. If it is only for the discount and you are finding that you are spending more than you normally would if you weren't a demo just to keep your discount, then maybe it is time to consider if you want to continue or not. I know for me, I signed up for the discount and to "be in the know" for things like preorders and because I liked the idea of running classes. Over time, I found I so loved the community I found in other demonstrators and creativity, friendship, and support I found in the SU demo network that I've since decided that I couldn't imagine dropping. Plus, with two small children, I love having a business that I can think about and strategize on that doesn't involve diapers, etc.

As for not having a huge wishlist I would say 2 things. If you can stay active this quarter, then you will get to at least get a preview of what is coming in the first seasonal catalog this fall. They have said that the seasonal catalogs are going to be bigger and more on-trend stuff, so I can't wait to see how that is going to change. The big catalog may not be inspiring you now, but that catalog may get you all jazzed up again. Plus, I always find there are stamps or products that I think are total duds when I first see them in a catalog, but then I see people use them in samples or other projects and decide I have to have them! So, you might find that you like more than you think in a month or two.

And as for the ink pads, if you haven't tried them yet, they are a TOTALLY different feel and are going to be great for solid images and those stamps that you've had trouble with coverage in the past. I've only just started stamping with my new pads so I'm still new to them but I know lots of folks are loving them. So, while I wouldn't advocate anyone just flat swapping out all of their ink pads because a new style came along (I know I'm not) I may start switching out my favorite pads that I use all the time.

In any event, sorry for the long reply but in the end, I know I absolutely love being a demo but it is a personal thing for each person and you have to figure out what feels right for you. I think of other demos as my scrapping family, so hugs scrappy sister!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2012, 06:00 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I used to be a hobby demo, too! While I am forever grateful to SU for sparking my interest in this wonderful hobby, I have no regrets about leaving. It has opened so many new doors and avenues for me as a crafter. No more guilt about buying other products that I love! I stepped down when they put all of the stipulations on demos about what they could and couldn't post on their personal blogs. Of course they did this AFTER I had already bought the new catalogs to sell to my customers along with new product (this was certainly not a coincidence on SU's part). That ruffled my feather's enough to leave, and it was the best decision EVER!
I haven't bought a single SU product in three years! The market has so many quality products from other companies, that I think you will be happy with whatever you choose to do!

I design for Heartfelt Creations,
The Stamps Of Life
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2012, 06:27 AM   #9  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Kiki, I'd ask to move this thread to the demo side if I were you... you'll get advice from more actual demonstrators there. Most of them won't see it here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2012, 06:44 AM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWTW JunkieView Post
Kiki, I'd ask to move this thread to the demo side if I were you... you'll get advice from more actual demonstrators there. Most of them won't see it here.
But by moving the thread, she also won't get to hear the side of those who used to be demonstrators who have dropped and whether or not they had any regrets. She'd be missing the "other side of the story."

I used to be a hobby demo (didn't start out as one but ended up as one). I, too left when SU put all the blog, email restrictions in. I thought SU's designs had been going down hill for awhile, so it had already been difficult to find much to support my stamping habit through SU. I've seen the new catalog and my initial response was "that's it?!" Nothing wowed me, unlike products from other companies. I can honestly say I haven't missed being a demo at all. I have found so many new (to me) stamp companies with wonderful images and products. Other companies have terrific cardstock (like GinaK). I've found so much out there not the least bit tied to SU and my creativity and desire to stamp has soared. I can buy what I want, when I want, or not buy at all without fear of being dropped by a company. I still have lots of stamping buddies, both SU and not, so the loss of friendships because I stopped being a demo never happened. If anything, by expanding beyond SU only helped create new friendships.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

I too was a demo and dropped a while ago. Mostly due to lack of things that interested me enough to buy to keep up my mins.

But this new catalog has blown me away. I want SO much that I'm seriously considering rejoining SU as a demo just to get a discount on my HUGE wish list, LOL~

If you're not feeling it, then best to let it go for now. You can always rejoin later. ;)

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #12  
YLM
Stazon Splitcoast

SU lost my interest and most of my money years ago.. I still do buy there paper.
I have not seen the new catalog yet.
QFTD127
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I was a demo for 4 years. I tried valiantly to be a small-business demo, but for me, it just didn't happen. Then I decided it was OK, I'd be a hobby demo, and I met my minimums each quarter on my own. I didn't worry about what was retiring, as I was using my stamps only for my own cards. Eventually I realized I was starting to look for things to buy that I really didn't want or need, just to meet my minimums.

Meanwhile, I was seeing more and more things that I wanted that were non-SU: Nestabilities (you can cut and emboss with them, but you can't emboss with SU dies--at least that's what I've been told), Martha Stewart punches, Cheery Lynn and Poppy Stamps dies, etc. I was reluctant to spend money on those items, rather saving it for my SU minimums.

Finally I realized that was all backwards. It occurred to me that I would actually be spending LESS money on SU products if I paid full price and bought only what I really wanted, rather than forcing myself to spend $300 per quarter. So I dropped, and now have a nice selection of Nestabilities, other dies, etc.

I still like SU products, especially their cardstock, and I'm still a customer. I've seen the new catalog, and was disappointed. Many of the older sets were carried over, and the catalog is smaller, so there are relatively fewer new sets than I expected to see. I saw one set I really liked, but that's about it. So far, I'm not in love with the new In Colors, and I am certainly not going to replace my stamp pads with the new style.

Of course, your situation may differ from mine, but those are my thoughts FWIW.
SCS Fan Club Member
Color Challenge Team Member
QFTD215
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2012, 10:26 AM   #14  

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogymnast82View Post
But by moving the thread, she also won't get to hear the side of those who used to be demonstrators who have dropped and whether or not they had any regrets. She'd be missing the "other side of the story."
Yes, but, if--as the OP stated--she wants to be convinced otherwise, then the demo side is naturally going to be more helpful in pointing out all the myriad benefits of being a demonstrator : )

Last edited by Jeanne S; 05-12-2012 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: SPR
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
It seems like everything - or at least a lot of it - is starting to look like everything else, or a re-release of something so similar to what I already own that it's not worth getting the "new" version.
I agree that it seems like companies are rehashing their old ideas or tweaking ideas they've borrowed from other companies. I'm just a sometimes stamper, not up on the trends or new releases. So, when I notice these things you know it's gotta be bad. :rolleyes:

I have a old Stampin Up set with a china teacup that has a pansy on the side. Then there was the Tiny Teacup, with the polka dots. Now, there is a set where the cup is shaped like Tiny Teacup, but has pansies on it. Maybe the next item will be a china cup with polka dots. :-)

Stampin Up and CTMH have been borrowing ideas from each other for awhile now. I have an older build-a-snowman set from CTMH and noticed that Stampin Up is releasing a similar set in the new catalog. Also a couple stamps in the new SU "Carry On" set looks like they were plucked right out of A*Muse studio's current "Keep Calm" set. :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Thank you all for your feedback. I appreciate the reminder about the seasonal catalog and will take that under consideration. I actually thought I posted this on the demo side...alas I will look to see if there is a similar thread regarding this year's catalog.

My stamping mojo is in need of a serious boost so that is why I think the SU catty is not wowing me. Once that baby is in my hands I may think entirely different. I think this is the first year I saw the catty on line before I got it in the mail....

We had a team building exercise at my office yesterday, with the subject being imagination. The more you do it the more you become it was strikingly apparent. This means getting away from the computer admiring everybody else's creativity and making my own...

Again thanks for the thoughtful feedback, this truly is a wonderful community.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampingoutView Post
I used to be a hobby demo, too! While I am forever grateful to SU for sparking my interest in this wonderful hobby, I have no regrets about leaving. It has opened so many new doors and avenues for me as a crafter. No more guilt about buying other products that I love! I stepped down when they put all of the stipulations on demos about what they could and couldn't post on their personal blogs. Of course they did this AFTER I had already bought the new catalogs to sell to my customers along with new product (this was certainly not a coincidence on SU's part). That ruffled my feather's enough to leave, and it was the best decision EVER!
I haven't bought a single SU product in three years! The market has so many quality products from other companies, that I think you will be happy with whatever you choose to do!
Ditto!

Last year, I nearly quit the craft all together because none of my twelve year plus stamps inspired me anymore. And then I had a brilliant idea. I could sell off my supply of wood mounted stamps that took up so much space and clutter, and I could use the money to buy all new products from new companies. It totally jump-started my creativity, and made the craft fun again. Now that I'm using unmounted and clear stamps only, it takes up very little room in my craft studio, too. It seems that less is indeed more!

Good luck! (btw, the new SU catty didn't interest me either, so it's not just you. It was visually appealing, yes, but there was nothing I needed to buy, KWIM?)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

The reason SU keep retiring things on and off is so that the hobby demo can keep buying things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogymnast82View Post
I used to be a hobby demo (didn't start out as one but ended up as one). I, too left when SU put all the blog, email restrictions in. I thought SU's designs had been going down hill for awhile, so it had already been difficult to find much to support my stamping habit through SU. I've seen the new catalog and my initial response was "that's it?!" Nothing wowed me, unlike products from other companies. I can honestly say I haven't missed being a demo at all. I have found so many new (to me) stamp companies with wonderful images and products. Other companies have terrific cardstock (like GinaK). I've found so much out there not the least bit tied to SU and my creativity and desire to stamp has soared. I can buy what I want, when I want, or not buy at all without fear of being dropped by a company. I still have lots of stamping buddies, both SU and not, so the loss of friendships because I stopped being a demo never happened. If anything, by expanding beyond SU only helped create new friendships.
I haven't ever been a demonstrator for any company so hopefully this isn't a dumb questions. What kind of restrictions can companies put on their demonstrators? What kind of restrictions are in place for your blogs and e-mails? Are these restrictions just for business sites or for all of your creative endeavors?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Received 281 Likes on 101 Posts

First of all, most of the people I know who joined Stampin' Up! did so when they really needed this type of experience. Myself included, many ladies (sorry guys!) had been through divorces, miscarriages (my own experience), difficult jobs, and other various difficulties. Becoming a demo helps you focus on things that are beautiful, creative, and intended for encouraging relationships (occasions, friendship, thank you, birthday, etc.). I found that during my severe depression following being laid off and then losing a baby, I really NEEDED something beautiful in my life to keep my mind and hands busy instead of slipping farther down into an emotional hole. Sending thoughtful cards and growing relationships with friends, family, stamper customers, and other demos was a key component in my healing from my difficulties. This period lasted about 2 years. Then things changed . . .

Second, I got back on my feet and my needs were now different. I had a new baby and I had less time to put into detailed make-n-takes for several parties a month. I realized now that my expenses (supplies, time, babysitters, gas, etc) were FAR outweighing my income. For the time when my emotional needs were overwhelming, the benefits outweighed the costs. But when that changed, I realized that I had to do something different to make this work for my family. So I built a downline and started to earn income from that. I won a few recruiting awards at convention and felt good about coming up in the company. Things were working out until . . .

Third, SU made a change in their payment and advancement system. Before, I did not have to reach any sales minimums to reap the financial rewards from my downline. They changed that to me needing to keep up a hefty minimum to get anything from that. This was NOT going to work for my family at all. There was no way I could do so much in sales a month to meet that. Also . . .

Fourth, I was seeing some patterns emerge that I was not aware of when I started. SU would retire a set of something and then we would all get rid of it. Then they would bring it back with a tiny change/new name/jacked up price and then we would all buy it again. I felt like I was on a merry-go-round of wasted money and frustration. I realize they need to keep things competitive and "fresh" feeling. They had to compete or go out of business, and THAT would leave all of us hung out to dry. But the patterns continued: certain things were only offered in the in-colors and many customers were saying that they have piles of things that are retired and old and "out." Less and less of the catalog items were things that they could continue to see ways to use or buy accessories to go with. Also, with so much coming "in" and then going "out" just as quickly, I felt pressured to keep buying, buying, buying to keep current and have the "latest" things for my group or they would go where they had the "in" thing.

Finally, I decided to end my time as a demo. I had a room full of scrappin' stuff--what a dream! And I had friends and skills I never would have developed without SU in my journey. I am still a customer! I am still a fan! Since then I have started my own company (not a craft company) and I make somewhere between $800 and $1000 a week. My family is very happy and we are reaching many goals for our lives. My husband and I laugh now and say, "Wow! Babe, you would have had to sell $5,000 of SU to make that income this week. Crazy!" That's a lot of ink pads.

Bottom line, when it is the right TIME in your life and the right thing for your family, it is GREAT. When it is NOT the right time or not the right thing, you will know something is not right. It has to be the best thing or you and your family at the time.

Just my .02. More like $20. Ha!
Best of luck!

Kirsten
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #21  

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wedgewoodView Post
I haven't ever been a demonstrator for any company so hopefully this isn't a dumb questions. What kind of restrictions can companies put on their demonstrators? What kind of restrictions are in place for your blogs and e-mails? Are these restrictions just for business sites or for all of your creative endeavors?
I can only answer for SU! ... the main restriction for blogs and emails is that they cannot contain links to sites where competing products are sold.
And yes, it applies to anything we post online.
We are allowed to use other products in our creations and post them online, and even reference the source (eg. PTI).

If you'd like more details ... check with your demonstrator, they'll be able to help you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2012, 05:17 AM   #22  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I've been a demo for a few years and the only reason I signed up was because my sister was giving up her demoship and we wouldn't have a "good" demo that would share all the latest news from SU. I had a small group of friends that said they would help me make my minimums so all was good because I didn't have to do workshops.

The first year was fun because I had easy access to SU news, sales, and it was a high to be on the inside track. But then I realized I could stamp for years and never buy a thing except tape and glue. I had a ton of SU and other non-SU products because I love paper crafting. I was spending a $100 in SU plus about $100 in non-SU and came to the conclusion that I had lost control of my spending and had become a hoarder. The money was not a finiacial burden but in other areas of my life I was working towards less is more. I had to make a decision to make:
  • Give up SU (I didn't really want to give it up)
  • Give up other non-SU products (not going to happen because SU doesn't always fit my style of stamping but I do love a lot of what they offer)
  • Find a way to sell enough product to make the minimum from others (even though my friends said they would help, and they did, it still wasn't enough).
Fast forward - SU started this campaign of "Plus One" - do one thing that makes a difference in your business. I agonized over what I should do. I made a list of options, looked at pros and cons, and finally settled on two things that were important to me. I like being in the know and I like to teach others about paper crafting. So my Plus One item was to try teaching classes.

Fast forward again - just by word of month I now hold a monthly classes and have a customer list of about 40 customers. Most don't buy but they attend my classes and the class materials cover my minimums.

I still spend about $100 on non-SU but I get to use the things I buy for the classes (BS dies, ink pads, left over paper, stamps, etc) so my actual personal SU costs are low.
  • I still spend about $100 on non SU products but I don't have the regret that I may be over spending.
  • I have met 30 new people who have enriched my life with their friendship.
  • I fulfill my need to teach others about paper crafting without ever leaving my house.
  • I get a high that people want to learn what I do and that they are truly excited about coming to one of my events. If I don't send out a notice they want to know what happened, did I miss it, oh no, what do you mean the class is full...

Right now the new product offerings in the catalog are not blowiing my skirt up but because I have to show a positive attitude to my customers it helps me to improve my outlook on the offerings. I am starting to see things through their eyes and I know that as time goes on I will see some beautiful projects that will allow me to enjoy SU offerings more.

Every year I have to reassess why I'm in SU and so far I've decided to stay because I don't want to give up the friendships, the opportunity to teach, the discounts, and being in the inside track.

My advice is make a list of what you like, dislike, and your motivators. Think about what you could do to change the cons into pros and give just one item a try. If it doesn't work then you step away and know that you made the best decision. However, you just might find something that brings joy to your life in a unexpected way.

Sorry this was so long
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2012, 05:27 AM   #23  
YLM
Stazon Splitcoast

now that I have the new Catty I'm NOT impressed at all . I only saw 3 sets I'd buy and 2 punches.
SO disappointed!
QFTD127
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2012, 05:34 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

I haven't read everyone's posts, but maybe you just need a break. I was a "hobby" demo for 8 and a half years and then just couldn't justify spending the money anymore, my husband was out of work and it just didn't make sense.

Now a little over a year out, I'm thinking about signing up again. It was nice to have a break and not feel pressured to buy, but I miss the sneaky peeks and the deal they are offering is hard to refuse. I'm not going to try to make a business out of it, been there done that. But I'll hang on as long as it make sense for me to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

***UPDATE***
I placed an order from the new catty (enough to keep me active through the next quarter). Ordered what I like. And ordered many tools. I have budgeted for the last 8 years to keep active. I have decided I am just not ready to let go being a hobby demo. I think I need to clean house of some old things which is a wonderful thing because I AM IN LOVE WITH THE HOLIDAY MINI and if I want to order from it, I must unload...(look for a post in the next 2-3 weeks in the BST forum - FYI in my 8 years I have only sold off maybe 25 stamp sets so if you are looking for something in particular you can IM me before I post my list if and if I have it, make an offer... I plan to keep prices uber reasonable since you will have to include postage/shipping). I am even thinking to do a holiday stamp camp - definitely a small camp in terms of the number of people but the offerings are so wonderful, I SO WANT TO SHARE THE BEAUTY. So I guess I am in for a bit longer....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #26  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

So happy for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #27  

I'm glad you've found a way to make staying a reality.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsmeView Post
I am not going to get the new stamp pads until they are needed. I decided this year that I would get reinkers for all the pads so when I placed my order I added the reinker sets so I have them all now that is almost 100.00 and I am not going to waste that. Like you I am mostly a hobby demo so I only do about 3 ws a year and they are during SAB so I don't see the need for new pads (yet)
I agree. I think the big push is that the ink pads are nicer, better (which I don't disagree with). But, I have over 40+ ink pads and reinkers that I intend to use.

I could use the black one, other than that, none are needed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #29  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This is what I thought when SU did their cardstock color re-vamp a couple years ago, not much in the catalog interested me, but my demo reminded me that they probably did that on purpose because the current demos would need to buy all new cs. So maybe that is why you don't feel the love for this catty is because they are focusing on the new ink pads this year and that means alot of demos will be spending money to replace their old ink pads. I just got my new mini today and wow, there is alot to see!!

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #30  

I've struggled with the new ink pads and what to say to my customers. I LOVE the new ink pads! And I was fortunate to have a large enough New Catalogue Kickoff that I could afford to replace some of mine. But that isn't the reality for most people ... and originally I wasn't going to replace them.

The best analogy I came up with was computers, or iphones. If you got the original iPhone when it was "a big deal", you got something great. And then Apple came out with the next version. Yours still worked, just didn't have all the bells and whistles. And you were content. As time goes by, new versions come out, and then came the 4S, and you realized that your life wouldn't be complete without Siri. So you bit the bullet, got the new version. Or ... decided that, tough as it would be, you'd live an incomplete life, and Siri wouldn't be your friend. ;)

Same with the ink pads.
New ones are an upgrade. For those who don't have them yet, fantastic! Go for it ... you're getting something better.
For those who already have all the colours (and all the past colours) ... I can understand waiting until you stamped the last bit out of your existing ones. Or you're the only person in the continent with felt ink pads! ;)

The catalogue is the 'basics' ... the holiday catalogue is the 'plus' ... I've only seen it online ... I could be in trouble ... but then, I've rarely seen a punch or Big Shot die/framelit/edgelit that I didn't *need*.

Did any of this make sense?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #31  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by YLMView Post
now that I have the new Catty I'm NOT impressed at all . I only saw 3 sets I'd buy and 2 punches.
SO disappointed!

You did better than me! LOL

I think for the "seasoned stamper" (I've been an avid and consistent buyer of Stampin Up products) the new catty (stamps) do not offer anything I don't have already. The DSP seems very busy and I'm not sure how I'll work it into my cards.

Saw a hobby demo friend at Card Club last night. Asked her what she liked best about the new catty and she said, "the card examples."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #32  
Compulsive Stamper

I have just a huge order from SU as a hobbyist..I am buying all the new ink pads, slowly....I love the new Holiday catalog, we demonstrators just got....it is worth it to me to have concise colors in inks , paper a markers ....I do not stick toone company though ....I buy what I like as a hobbyist....
I am glad they are still staying afloat through these rough economic times and intend on helping them by buying...I don't want to have to do all on line ordering. Love catalogs !!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2012, 05:03 AM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

Good for you, Kiki! If you follow your heart, you can't go wrong. The holiday mini was always my undoing, too. The summer minis rarely enticed me, but oh, that holiday mini! If you enjoy it, then keep at it. My motto when I signed under SU was "The minute this isn't fun anymore, I quit." It happened for me about six or seven years later. It's been about two or three years now, and I've just found a new venture, so I'm excited again. Hope you can keep the excitement, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

I felt the same way about the new catty, and I am only a hobbyist demo as well. I reminded myself that once I start seeing the creations of everyone here that I begin to want everything. The new mini alone has me salivating! I can't wait to start making ornaments and gift tags...any they are adorable! I'm going to get the new in colors, and I will try the new ink pads then. If I fall in love as everyone else seems to have done, then I will start replacing my old ones (which are only a year or so old). I may keep the old ones for my 10 year old twin girls to use, and they are starting to ask frequently to stamp. I've also had someone else ask to buy my old stamps.

I haven't bought anything from the new catalog for two reasons. The biggest reason is that my hubby lost his job a few weeks ago. The other because nothing really thrilled me, so I planned to just wait until the new quarter began. I simply can't wait until dh gets a new job. It better be a good one, because I want everything in the new mini!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #35  
Hardware Hotshot

It will be two years in November when I signed up with the great $79.00 kit deal. I thought I'd just be in for one quarter. I also hold just a few classes...one every other month with another demo.

I always seem to get enough orders by default. A co-worker will need some things, my co-workers mom needs some things, etc. Right now I need $120.00 to meet my quota by the end of June and a friend called and left me a message that she needs to make an order. I had thought the end had come. So, I just get by this way. I maybe spend $120.00 and the other % comes in somehow.

I won't be investing in the new ink pads either. I say only get want you really want and when the quarter is up & you don't have enough, let it drop. Maybe with a little distance and time you'll end up re-signing. I know I won't have a problem ordering from the demos I know if I eventually drop. I do like being on the demo side here and I love talking shop with my co-demo friend. I also like the feel of being in a "club"-the SU club, kind of like when you're a kid! I have quite a few friends that are into SU and it's great to share things about our love for SU! I like that as much or more than the 20% discount!

Last edited by Allistamps123; 06-13-2012 at 11:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #36  
Stampin' Fool

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I am also a demo who was not impressed with this catalog! It seems like the same images just revamped. KWIM? I've tried several times to love things but then I look at all that retired this year and can't justify the expense of going all new again. September will be only my 5th year with SU & I honestly don't see it continuing. I only have a few weeks to make my quarterly & if I don't I won't worry......just a sign I suppose of things to be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Glad you have made it work for you. You can also try to sell those old style ink pads on here too!! that will give you a chance to try out the new ones. I have tried them, and yes, they are great! I don't have any, however. Nor do I plan you purchase any of them. My first thought for you was to maybe demo for a different company. there are some great ones out there, if SU! wasn't filling the bill for you. But glad you have figured out your business. When will the public be seeing the Holiday mini? Now, I'm anxious to see one!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #38  
Hardware Hotshot

[QUOTE=Allistamps123;19490899]

Glad you made a decision you are happy with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #39  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just stopped in here out of curiosity, but I'm glad I did. I started buying SU products about three years ago, give or take a few months. Before that I never heard of it, and never really knew about stamping at all.

Not quite a year ago I decided to become a hobby demo. I have not been disappointed. I think the new catalog is quite different from the previous IBC's, but that was the whole point of trying something new. I'm pretty sure that SU listens to their customer's comments and will take everything into consideration for future catalogs.

I found that when I really looked at new catalog, I liked it. And when I received the holiday mini (not so mini) I was VERY happy. I can't wait to place my first order from it.

PAT
Reply With Quote Likes