Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-29-2006, 09:37 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are they that bad?

Someone mentioned this not too long ago; and now I feel it! Are my cards THAT bad that no one can say something nice? Or are people just not making comments any longer? I know we can't comment on all these great cards (I've never seen a "bad" one) and I try to do my part. A pat on the back would mean the world to some of us.

My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 10:22 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

I know how you feel...but mine really are NOT that great! I will check out your stuff tomorrow - right now I need sleep!

Q

Don't get your knickers in a knot. Nothing is solved and it just makes you walk funny. ~Kathryn Carpenter
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 10:35 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

I looked at your gallery and you have some really nice things. One thing I did notice was that the photo quality was a little dark. When we are looking at the thumbnails, sometimes (especially since there are so many more cards being posted) the ones that get more comments are the ones that jump out at you. It also makes a difference to post things on a day that gets less "traffic." Saturday is so full - try posting on a Tuesday. Personally, I try to look for good in everyone's work and leave comments on ones that get less attention. Keep putting things up - even though you may not get a ton of comments, people are still enjoying seeing your creations!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 10:38 PM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

SuzyQ, I'm going to have to call you a big ole fibber! You have a super gallery and you should be proud of the cards you make! MarthaR, this goes for you too!!!!!!!!!!!

I always try to put some effort into commenting in the gallery, and specifically target those submissions that seem to have been overlooked in the large volume of uploads every day. Ten times out of ten, the reasons any project someone uploads to the gallery don't get a lot of views or comments have absolutely *nothing* to do with the fantastic project!! Things like how the thumbnail appears on someone's monitor, the time of day, day of week, time of year, even, and whether any other events are going on (challenge days, VSBN/VSN) all play a role in how much commenting gets done imo.

All this is no good reason why your cards don'thave more views and comments, though!!!!!! I think they're great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 10:40 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

I think that there are many great cards passed over in the comments. And the number of coments has seemed to decrease in the last few months, too. I think the best thing we can do is to try to leave as many encouraging comments as we can, and don't get discouraged if your cards don't get any or many commments. I have gone lately to some of my stampin' hero's galleries and was greatly suprised and encouraged to see that not every one of thier cards had pages of comments. They were wonderful cards, but for some reason they just didn't have many. It showed me that even fantastic cards made by incredible artists sometimes don't get much attention. It is so easy for me to get down when a card of mine doesn't have many, and now I just go make another! I'll check out your gallery tomorrow, too, I love to leave comments! Don't let it get to you, just enjoy what you do and leave as many comments as you can!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 10:41 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marthar
........ Or are people just not making comments any longer? .......A pat on the back would mean the world to some of us.
It seems to be the norm that only one percent of the "number of views" produces a comment. I try to make at least a few comments per day. But sometimes, especially when I'm looking for a particular idea, I just click through a bunch of cards until I get to what I want. It's not the there is anything wrong with the others, just that I'm in a hurry.
By the way, I just looked into your gallery for a minute and your cards are lovely. Too bad my birthday was last week! :mrgreen:
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 10:50 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I try to make comments on cards when I can, sometimes I am looking at cards and don't have time to stop and make coments. I too have some cards with no comments, but I would like to think that people were just busy the day mine were uploaded. Don't take it personally, I am sure you work is just fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2006, 12:04 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

Martha, Nice cards. Look at all the views you have gotten. =) Keep 'em coming.

Have a nice day!

Kandi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2006, 02:18 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Martha,

I was the one who started the original thread about this, and someone gave me a wonderful suggestion - do the challenges!! I get TONS more comments on my challenge cards than on those I just upload to my gallery. There's a challenge every day except no-upload Sunday, and VSN is coming up in just a few weeks. Join us!
"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Mt. 6:21

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2006, 03:23 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

I agree with Lisa about the challenges. The daily challenges are so much fun and so addictive! (I especially love the Color Challenge on Tuesdays, but they're ALL fun!) And, as a bonus, cards that are uploaded for the challenge tend to get lots of comments since all of the other people participating comment on everyone else's challenge cards. Please try out some of the challenges (See the Splitcoast Challenges forum) -- you'll get hooked!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2006, 07:13 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Martha,

I think your card are great! And, you may not think you have a lot of comments, but you have more than I do! Although I don't get many comments I still like to share. I figure that even if the card isn't that great someone at sometime might get an idea from it. And for that reason I am glad to share...comments or not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2006, 07:39 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I wish.... that you could search by # of comments in the gallery. Please, if the gallery developer is listening, can you add this feature. Oftentimes I have some spare time (especially Sundays) and would like to leave some comments on cards with 0 or low comments.

Marthar, I'm going to check our your gallery. I have lots of cards with few comments. However, knowing that the average comment ration is 1:100 makes me feel a bit better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2006, 07:51 AM   #13  
Splitcoast DirtyDozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa Loiselle
Martha,

I was the one who started the original thread about this, and someone gave me a wonderful suggestion - do the challenges!! I get TONS more comments on my challenge cards than on those I just upload to my gallery. There's a challenge every day except no-upload Sunday, and VSN is coming up in just a few weeks. Join us!
I agree about the challenges. Once you join the group that does challenges every day -- which, by the way, is VERY addicting -- believe me, you will get lots of comments. I, for one, try to comment on everyone's challenge card.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2006, 08:28 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Thank you, everyone. I hadn't made cards all summer and I guess I was having a personal pity party last night. Lynne, I also noticed the photo quality was dark and not exactly crisp. I am trying to find the cause of that, since it didn't look that way on my end before I sent.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2006, 08:53 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Martha, You have a nice gallery. I made some comments!

This topic comes up in general stamping every so often. It's not new. People are in all stages of learning to stamp. How fast a stamper improves depends on how much time they decide to spend in stamping and looking at the gallery. I won't be popular by saying this: There are Wow cards, great cards, good cards, average cards, and bad cards. The bad cards do exist. That's the honest truth. But like I said, everyone is in a different place in their stamping. It's not how long you've been stamping that's the issue, it's how long you've been studying the good cards and working on it.

This site is awesome. There are tutorials and weekly challenges that have helped a lot of stampers. And the DD gallery is better than any magazine subscription. Take advantage of what is here if you (any stamper) wants to improve.

And everyone has a different style that is their personal fave. Not all people like clean white cards. Not all people like the retro look or the distressed look. People comment on their style. And some don't go through the recent uploads each day. Rather, they look only in the set galleries for which they have at home.

And yes, I have noticed that the number of views has gone down in the last couple of months. There's been a drastic difference, IMO. MAybe because it's summer?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2006, 09:04 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

I think your cards are lovely. My cards (which I like!) don't get too many comments either, but I know myself I appreciate many cards I see every day here, but only comment on the ones that make me go WOW!!!!! The really intricate things that I can't do myself. I think maybe alot of people are in this category. I make Verbal comments to myself on lots of cards

Leslie J
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2006, 09:42 AM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Due to time constraints, often the choice is make comments, OR see all the new cards - can't do both.

I would definitely go by the # of views of your cards - if someone takes time to look closer at it it means it appealed to them! Posting a comment on each someone likes, when there are hundreds of new cards each day is not possible for many people.

I did look at your gallery and liked the cards there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2006, 01:14 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

You have great cards in your gallery. I do understand how you feel; I feel the same way when I upload images. I am even doubting that I will take the time to upload again. I am excited to get some feedback and feels like rejection when no one comments. I have even been told that I must invest in a better scanner before I try to upload again. Keep stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2006, 01:59 PM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

I am lucky that my family look at my gallery and give me verbal feedback. All my family (including my DH :( ) pretty much lives at least one time zone away, so my gallery is the way I share my creations with them. Yes, we are all at different levels of stamping on SCS, but we all work hard and are proud of what we produce, and that means something to some of us.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2006, 02:06 PM   #20  
Toy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey! I think your gallery is great! As you evolve, your comments will increase! I've also noticed that the more I post comments, the more I get!

Keep up the great work! We'll be looking for your beautiful cards!

Peace and blessings,
Toy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2006, 02:40 PM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

[quote=MazG]I wish.... that you could search by # of comments in the gallery. Please, if the gallery developer is listening, can you add this feature. Oftentimes I have some spare time (especially Sundays) and would like to leave some comments on cards with 0 or low comments.
Interesting thread. I'm sure everyone would like more comments. So... lets all make more comments. Try for example making a comment for every comment you receive, or make at least one comment on every Gallery page you look at, etc

BTW It is possibel to search by number of comments. At the end of any page in the Gallery check out the drop down menus, for "Sort by", "Time frame" and "Order".
Karen

Looky Looky
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2006, 06:39 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

I just want to agree with the folks that said that participating in challenges is the way to go. This and Virtual Stamp Nights... great ways for people to catch a view of your works of art.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2006, 08:51 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzyq01
I know how you feel...but mine really are NOT that great! I will check out your stuff tomorrow - right now I need sleep!
The cards in your gallery are great! I've pulled a few favorites. Thanks for your positive feedback.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2006, 10:02 PM   #24  
Glitter Guru

i know and understand that it is disappointing to not receive a lot of comments on one's cards. but being realistic, with the amount of uploads anymore it is terribly time consuming to go through the day's uploads and leave a lot of comments. one day i decided to go through and make a lot of comments, especially on ones that didn't have many. i felt good doing it, but i was on here for hours. i don't have that kind of time nor do i want to take that much time very often. i hope that doesn't make me seem selfish. but the day i did that, i never did get around to doing any stamping. my time was all used up. and i have high speed internet. when i first found this site, i didn't even have that. i do try, every time i'm cruising, to find a few cards that i think were underappreciated. and i will continue to do that.
and there's one other thing. do you notice how many cards are very much alike? similar layouts, similar color schemes, the same stamps, etc... there's no way to avoid this because we're all using pretty much the same supplies. so the cards that get noticed the most are the ones that are a little different.
i said all that to say this. a lack of comments doesn't mean what that one's cards are bad. continue striving for excellence, continue learning and trying to improve. if you love what you're doing, that's really all that matters anyway. i know i'm not at the same place now as when i first started, and i hope i can at some time look back at where i am now and see growth.

For You have delivered my soul from death, My eyes from tears, And my feet from falling. Psalm 116:8

my blog http://wwwfeedingmysoul.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 06:33 AM   #25  
Lil' RAD Taquito

Ladies I need your help on this. What is the etiquette on receiving comments?? do you answer and thank people for their comments or not?? Is there a rule or procedure about it??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 06:59 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marthar
Someone mentioned this not too long ago; and now I feel it! Are my cards THAT bad that no one can say something nice? Or are people just not making comments any longer? I know we can't comment on all these great cards (I've never seen a "bad" one) and I try to do my part. A pat on the back would mean the world to some of us.
No, your cards are not bad at all, they are very nice and it seems that you have quite a few comments. If a card I post gets 1 or 2 comments, I feel like that is a BIG deal, (even if they are from a "real-life" friend of mine). I have had some that didn't have any comments for a while but I still like looking at them in my gallery and really that is what I do this for, myself.

What really matters is if stamping and creating brings joy to you and to those close to you, comments are just a little extra bonus.
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 08:02 AM   #27  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApocalipsisR
Ladies I need your help on this. What is the etiquette on receiving comments?? do you answer and thank people for their comments or not?? Is there a rule or procedure about it??
Nope, no rule or procedure. Many folks will go to the galleries of folks who commented, and leave some comments in return, but there is no rule that you must do this by such and such a time, or that you must even do this at all. I usually thank people for taking time out of their day to look at my projects in the description of my card, and leaving comments in commenters' galleries is an ongoing project for me. I've seen some folks thank others by leaving a comment in their own gallery (I think I did this in the first project I uploaded); this is just fine but is not usually done, as the probability of the other folks returning to that project to read your comment is low. JMHO!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 08:05 AM   #28  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpmayo
What really matters is if stamping and creating brings joy to you and to those close to you, comments are just a little extra bonus.
This is so true! I personally think JPMayo has a fab gallery, and have a good number of the projects there in my faves, but I am such a dork I haven't left comments on most of the items in my faves because "I'm going to get back to them sometime!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 08:33 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

OMGosh - everyone's cards are so nice...the lack of comments may be because of someone like myself who uses their computer at work to check out the forums and gallery and does not have a super fast connection or unlimited supply of time...I also am not so creative that I have even started a gallery yet. I have begun taking pictures but have yet to get going...kudos to all the great stampers out there...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 08:43 AM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel
This is so true! I personally think JPMayo has a fab gallery, and have a good number of the projects there in my faves, but I am such a dork I haven't left comments on most of the items in my faves because "I'm going to get back to them sometime!"
Thanks!

I do the same thing. I put a card in my favs thinking i'll go back and comment but I never do. Unless I do it that very second I forget (like everything else) and then there are hundreds more cards to look at, it can be overwhelming!

Just stamp to make yourself happy :-D
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2006, 07:54 AM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

I have not read all the replys here as I need to get back to work but I have to say that I am one of the naughty people that views MANY wonderful projects and I don't think I have ever left a comment. Mainly due to time constraint and I really did not realize how much you look forward to them. When I am browsing, I will try to make comments from now on. I truly enjoy this AWESOME group of talented stampers and appreciate all your creations that you share. Please don't stop because comments aren't there, are thoughts are!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tammy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2006, 08:00 AM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

Going to look at your galleries in a bit but wanted to say I totally agree with the suggestions to join the weekly challenges if possible. The other challenge chasers are eager to see what everyone has produced and are so kind with their comments. Not only has my stamping improved a bit but I have learned some really neat stuff and made new friends. Now if I post a card not related to a challenge I can probably count on just a couple of comments, I think people might just get overwhelmed by the sheer volume of stuff daily, I know I do. We should definitely keep encouraging each other!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2006, 09:44 PM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess & DSS Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

1. there are a lot of lurkers
2. it's summer and people are busy and outside (maybe not in this heatwave but you know what I mean.)
3. Challenges boosts your comments!
Reply With Quote Likes