Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me it's the Spellbinders Nestabilities Cut, Emboss, Stenciling Templates. I know, I know, just about everybody loves them and uses them, and they DO save time. I just don't like the same sizes on everyone's cards. To me, they all start looking alike. I enjoy the individuality of hand cut layers.

Now to tell the truth, I sometimes use them...but not as often as I should for the price that they are. And I must add that when I choose to use them, they work well. I have several sets, too. It's that they are the item I thought I would LOVE and use ALL the time....but I just don't.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2010, 11:19 AM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainy Day StamperView Post
For me it's the wheels. I love some of them but just don't think to use them.
Same here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #43  
ch
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by lgulottaView Post
Pampered Chef baking stones--oh wait, this is the crafting site... :-)

It has to be chalks and those shimmer chalk-like sets for me. I see them used and just love the looks, I buy the stuff, and then never get to using them...

Copics are another thing I've not gotten into, but that's because I've never been a colorer. The thought always comes to me, though, that I should take a class and try them, but I know I'd probably end up investing a lot of money and then never use them. So far I"ve been able to resist that temptation...
Couldn't live/cook without my PC stones!
I'm doing a major purge in my stamping room. The Goodwill pile includes, Pearlex, eyelets, Carl Cutter--can't cut an 81/2 x 11 inch sheet of paper in half to save me! Dumb sayings, any stampset I haven't used in the last 2 years, heat and stick, wheel guide and a set of circle and square punches from CM.
I have never like cutsey kids with odd shaped bodies or headless people. Thank you, I feel better now!
Now I am going to send a card to someone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2010, 11:25 AM   #44  
Kookie Creator

Default Brayer Class..is on the list..

Yes, I do want to take a Zindorf brayering class...keep watching her schedule for a class nearby that works.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampingSpudView Post
If Michelle Zindorf is ever offering a class in your area, I strongly recommend it. I never achieved satisfactory results until I took her class. Worth every penny and then some. Don't give up on the brayer -- it's a wonderful tool!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #45  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiKel4View Post
There are precious few things I don't like in crafting, but I have lost the war to love Eyelets! When I first started crafting ions ago, they were the "it" thing - and I have them in every single color!

And now they sit. I bought the eyelet setter, then another - I just can't get them right, they always smush and ruin the card or project and if I never saw them again, I wouldn't msis them
I agree! Eyelets are my nemesis. I have never been able to get them to look nice. They are either too squished or not squished enough or squished crooked and they never line up in a row. My eyelets are like free range chickens.

Last edited by tootsie roll; 08-02-2010 at 11:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2010, 12:21 PM   #46  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

...free range chickens.
- I like that

Anyway I am probably pretty much alone in this but I don't like grunge - anything! It looks like a poorly done printing job on the paper or whatever. If I bought paper at the store and it looked like that I'd take it back.

As for those wheels, I don't use them much either. What I did was to take the stamp off of the wheel and use it on an acrylic block like clear mount stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #47  
Die Cut Diva

Okay. One more. The Bind it All. Just can't line up the hole thingy right. But it is pink. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #48  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I love this thread! It's so funny to see the different dislikes! Keep 'em coming!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2010, 01:25 PM   #49  
BSD
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

I had the same problem with wheels, then I unmounted them and use them with Tack it Over and Over. I am much more likely to use them now. (I am also much more likely to get the image straight now too!)

Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2010, 01:26 PM   #50  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss MeowyView Post
Okay. One more. The Bind it All. Just can't line up the hole thingy right. But it is pink. ;)
Oh, Alma! I {heart } my BIA! Come to my house and we'll play... I'll get you to love it!

I think I'd have to agree with the OP when it comes to Amuse stamps. I love the cards I see with them, but when I looked into ordering them, I just couldn't get past how small they were. Memory Box stamps, too... too little!

Also, the Fire and Ice brads that SU! came out with several years ago. I was still a demo then, so I had to have them all and just hated them. They don't sit flat enough on the card. They're gathering dust as I type!

I know not what this day holds....but I know Who holds the day!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #51  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizLuceroView Post
- I like that

Anyway I am probably pretty much alone in this but I don't like grunge - anything! It looks like a poorly done printing job on the paper or whatever. If I bought paper at the store and it looked like that I'd take it back.

As for those wheels, I don't use them much either. What I did was to take the stamp off of the wheel and use it on an acrylic block like clear mount stamps.
LOL Me too
When I started this last year I ordered some Kaiser paper from Joan's Garden. She said she just got it in. When I got it I was horrified. I didn't know about grunge. The printing was smeared or missing in spots I contacted her and told her she got a "bad batch" of paper and if she would give me her address I would send it back to her so she could get her money back :lol:.

She said this was distressed paper and supposed to be this way. I said , Are you sure?? Have you looked at this stuff?" Bless her heart "she offered" to refund my money! The only paper I had bought up to that point had been in a store.

She refunded my money and told me to keep the paper. I still have and have never used it.

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 08-02-2010 at 01:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2010, 02:29 PM   #52  
Die Cut Diva

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Quote:

With ya on this one. I am SO challenged when it comes to doing this in a straight line. Mine always look like I had a few too many -- and I don't even drink!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #53  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ooo i forgot one. A lot of CB dies. All the ones ive seen in aust are too cartoony/childish! And i just cant seem to be able to use them. Altho do love some of the alphabets and all the folders just some of the dies i question!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #54  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisha_1988View Post
ooo i forgot one. A lot of CB dies. All the ones ive seen in aust are too cartoony/childish! And i just cant seem to be able to use them.
And most of the Sizzix dies too
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2010, 03:36 PM   #55  
Crimping Master

rly? I like a lot of the sizzix bigz dies, esp tim holtz.... Actually ur right im not big on the older ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2010, 03:44 PM   #56  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool thread!

Things I really can't get into are: Digi Stamps. I have a few of them..But I have never used them. ( I like the feel of Rubber stamps in my hands) + I'm not wasting our Printer ink either.

A couple of other things I don't get and can't get into is Grunge Board or stuff. Stamp Wheels..(mine go all over the place)

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2010, 05:06 PM   #57  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What a fun topic!

For me it's Magnolia stamps. I even purchased 2 from my LSS . Tried them, even drew a mouth on , but I just could not get into them. Never made a card with them because they just didn't look right (even though I adore the cards I see with them).
I ended up selling them on the BST board.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #58  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllibelleView Post
What a fun topic!

For me it's Magnolia stamps. I even purchased 2 from my LSS . Tried them, even drew a mouth on , but I just could not get into them. Never made a card with them because they just didn't look right (even though I adore the cards I see with them).
I ended up selling them on the BST board.

oh my gosh. i can't look at those stamps, they give me the creeps so bad. a child without a nose and mouth. what is the strange psychology behind that? are they blank so you can add your own expressions to match the sentiment? like a sad face or happy face? i showed them to my husband and asked very sweetly, what do you think of these honey? (to see if i was just being weird). and his head kinda went back and his eyes got big and he said, GOOD LORD, that is gross!! lol. it was pretty funny.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2010, 07:31 PM   #59  
Compulsive Stamper

Wheels-never can seem to get them straight

My Digital Studio-just not feeling it

Heat Embosser-Seems like I end up getting the paper warped or something

Acrylic Stamps-I like the image rubber produces SO much better

SU 2010-2011 In Colors-I have LOVED all of the past color combos, but I am not "in to" this year's combos

I sound like a grouchy and challenged stamper, I'm really not, I have made TONS of cards, and there are a few things I love

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE -SU Snail adhesive

The new clear stamps and their case

SU Stamp Pads

Glitter!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2010, 07:40 PM   #60  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Papertrey Stamps. I want and yearn to love them all, but can't... quite... yank myself over to the clean and simple world. I want to love them because I LOVE the cards I see with their stamps!! Soooo classy and simple and elegant!!!!!
I do have three or four of their sets though. But I want to love them ALL, not just the three or four that I have.

Edited to add:
Another thing I soooooooo want to love is USING patterned paper. Paradoxically, I'd have to love patterned paper LESS for me to want to cut into it to use it.

Edited again to add:
I also REALLY want to love car images. My nephew loves cars, so I make him cards with cars on them. But everytime I do, it feels like a minor punishment for me, that I must use a car (or some other boring "boy" image) instead of something pink, flowery, or girlie!

Edited yet again:
I ALSO want to at least LIKE purple because a bunch of my friends LOVE purple, so I try to incorporate this putrid colour into the cards I make for them - it would be much more pleasant for me if I actually liked purple.

Last edited by SophieLaFontaine; 08-02-2010 at 07:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2010, 11:21 PM   #61  
Kookie Creator

[QUOTE=SophieLaFontaine;17106469]Edited again to add:
I also REALLY want to love car images. My nephew loves cars, so I make him cards with cars on them. But everytime I do, it feels like a minor punishment for me, that I must use a car (or some other boring "boy" image) instead of something pink, flowery, or girlie!QUOTE]

ROTFLMBO! I am with you on the wanting to do something girlie. I have 2 boys. I am the only female in this house! I think I have been putting off baby albums because I just don't know where to start for boys...

Sometimes I feel like I just can't get in to paper crafting. I love it all and it is such a pretty mess but between my boys and keeping up on the house, oh and don't forget life... I look at all my beautiful pretties and wonder if I am just not into it enough. Like maybe if I were more into it I would go out of my way to make time for it... I am telling myself now that once the babies are in school, I'll have more time for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 01:15 AM   #62  
Polyshrink Goddess

Riley, Bella and all those stamps of little girls with huge heads and no mouth. I don't like fairy stamps either. Yuck.
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 03:06 AM   #63  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pricecheckView Post
Riley, Bella and all those stamps of little girls with huge heads and no mouth. I don't like fairy stamps either. Yuck.
Can't do Riley or fairies either. I do like some of the Magnolia girls but I only have a couple and that is enough to make for my nieces.

Also don't like the images with no heads - they really bug me!:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 05:39 AM   #64  
Matboard Maniac

I wanted to love PTI's ink, but for the most part, I've never been happy with it. Hopefully the new formula will be out of this world!

I've always wanted to love brads, and own waaaaaay too many of them, but I rarely use them. They never end up straight, or they make the paper bulge, or something like that. I do use them as flower centers sometimes, though because they're easier to deal with then.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 06:43 AM   #65  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Well, thinking about things that I want(ed) to love, and not things that I just don't like, I would have to say: my Bind It All, which is much harder to get the hang of than it looks; spray dyes/inks that blob and drip all over the paper, in addition to warping it; clear stamps that produce blurry images no matter what ink I use, the only exception being CTMH and Penny Black (which are both fabulous); and watercolors, which take a lot of practice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 06:50 AM   #66  
Stazon Splitcoast

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 07:22 AM   #67  
Die Cut Diva

I abhore my Tearing Edge. It's stupid and I hate it. I have one and I have customers who LOVE it so I keep it around but it's just so BIG and METAL and does soemthing that I can do with my hands FOR FREE. It seemed like such a nifty tool that I just HAD to have it and now I just glare at it when I walk by. It totally mocks me, taking up space and glinting dully in the glow of my craft room lights...

I was thrilled after I did lots of research and decided to buy a Carl cutter. I paid a lot of money for the darn thing and since th elittle paper guid is warped, nothing lines up right without using a plastic ruler/quilting square also. I was actually pretty angry that I had to modify it to cut straight. I think if you're going to spend a lot money on something, it should work the way it's supposed to right out of the box without adding anythign or coming up with work arounds. It STILL doesn't give me perfect cuts but I paid so much for it that I feel obligated to use it. Most of the time I just use my Fiskar's trimmer, even for small classes. :(

~Wendy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 07:49 AM   #68  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by barb smithView Post
I just had to have the gorgeous prima flowers and I love them on other peoples projects, but when I use them, they just look like I stuck them on by mistake.
Same here barb smith.
I have a ton of MS glitter and love how it looks in the little containers but I just cannot get to use it. I love how it looks on somebody else's projects but when I have used it, I don't like the end result plus it is too messy to work with.

Last edited by cuttlebug_fan; 08-03-2010 at 07:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #69  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am not willing to give it up yet because I'm sure I'm going to love it, but my containers of Flower Soft are just sitting there mocking me......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 02:17 PM   #70  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSDView Post
I had the same problem with wheels, then I unmounted them and use them with Tack it Over and Over. I am much more likely to use them now. (I am also much more likely to get the image straight now too!)
This is so smart. Thanks for sharing.
Lois
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #71  
Crimping Master

Also, the Fire and Ice brads that SU! came out with several years ago. I was still a demo then, so I had to have them all and just hated them. They don't sit flat enough on the card. They're gathering dust as I type![/QUOTE]

I cut the brad part off and just use a glue dot to keep them on. I agree it is hard to make them lay flat.
They are pretty. I don't use them much because I am not very good with bling like some of you ladies.
Lois
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 02:39 PM   #72  
Insane Embellisher

Great thread! Things that I wanted to love (most of these I still would like to-- but don't--as yet)...border punches-I just can't seem to make them look right on my cards, but love the look that others get with them--which I find terribly frustrating...the same goes with my Copics...yikes, I have quite an $ investment with my Copics too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 02:52 PM   #73  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh goodness�.this is like true confession time of all the things we spent money on and don�t use. Although I swear the intentions were good going in to it.

Alrighty�.here goes.

Cuttlebug embossing folders�.just don�t think to use them�.at all�.sold �em on SCS.
Nestibilities�..just don�t think to use them�..at all�.sold �em on SCS -- did save the Christmas tree and a flower however.
Taylored Expressions twinkling whatever they are called�the teeny gems�..bought 6 of them�regifted �em�.too small/too tedious to work with.
Papertrey Ink pigment ink�.most of you know that story�.regifted them too.

- - - I REALLY DID want to love all these things�but�yeah�.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 03:02 PM   #74  
ch
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by willstampforfoodView Post
I abhore my Tearing Edge. It's stupid and I hate it. I have one and I have customers who LOVE it so I keep it around but it's just so BIG and METAL and does soemthing that I can do with my hands FOR FREE. It seemed like such a nifty tool that I just HAD to have it and now I just glare at it when I walk by. It totally mocks me, taking up space and glinting dully in the glow of my craft room lights...

I was thrilled after I did lots of research and decided to buy a Carl cutter. I paid a lot of money for the darn thing and since th elittle paper guid is warped, nothing lines up right without using a plastic ruler/quilting square also. I was actually pretty angry that I had to modify it to cut straight. I think if you're going to spend a lot money on something, it should work the way it's supposed to right out of the box without adding anythign or coming up with work arounds. It STILL doesn't give me perfect cuts but I paid so much for it that I feel obligated to use it. Most of the time I just use my Fiskar's trimmer, even for small classes. :(

~Wendy
I thought I was the only stamper that couldn't opperate a Carl Cutter! Mine is in the Goodwill pile!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 04:58 PM   #75  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I am cringing, groaning, chuckling and snorting as I read this thread. Can't decide if I should be reassured that I'm not alone, or concerned that that there are so many of us in the same boat!!!! :shock:

I have many stamping toys and tools that I want to love but don't. Since eyelets have already been mentioned, I won't bother going there again! Dittos on the buttons. :rolleyes:

I wish I loved Flower Soft....I want to, really, really badly. At least based on the number of colors of it I have in my stash, it looks like I "needed" every one available. I have made exactly ONE card that turned out well using it and the rest are glumpy and look like a 5 year did them. Ok, I'm exaggerating, they look like a 3 year did them.

Another thing I want to love is dew drops. What was I thinking?! Those things are nasty to use....they fly around like hockey pucks on a freshly Zamboniied rink and they are HUGE compared to the size of stamps I use. Again, I thought I needed to have LOTS of colors to choose from. Ugh...

I also want to love rub-ons, but I've decided that they don't love me back. Without fail, some part of the rub-on doesn't rub-on and I'm left with a mess that needs to be covered up. I have tried all the "this works every time" ideas to no avail.

This is probably a good place to end the post before I totally disgust myself with my poor shopping decisions. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 05:22 PM   #76  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
Every small 12" paper trimmer - I have the graveyard of trimmers

New style punches - I like the old style so much better

Bellas - I have a couple and they are cute, but I never felt the need to get more

Digis - I have downloaded a couple but never used them

Cricuit design studio - have it, bought a viedo to learn and still don't feel the need just don't really want to play on the computer as I'd rather play with my stamps
Cricut Design Studio for me too! I like Sure Cuts Alot so much better. Cricut Design is not easy to use in my opinion. But then I struggle alot with the Cricut in general.

Bonnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 05:26 PM   #77  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I also want to love rub-ons, but I've decided that they don't love me back. Without fail, some part of the rub-on doesn't rub-on and I'm left with a mess that needs to be covered up. I have tried all the "this works every time" ideas to no avail.
OK I won't say "this works every time" but I will say that the only rub-ons I have ever had good luck consistently with has been the ones from SU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 06:29 PM   #78  
Crimping Master

OMG I forgot about my disgust for rub-ons! lol. Im glad I only ever brought a few sheets of them and have a great Bestie who again can use these (although she has only been doing this stuff for like 5 months! :( )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 07:24 PM   #79  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Have to agree with many of you ~ grunge, rub-ons, wheels & cheap/thin paper. But I mostly am mad at myself for buying an alphabet set made of chipboard. Yuk. :-(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 08:40 PM   #80  
Crimping Master

Forgot about rub-ons, oh yeah, that's why I don't use them.
Lois
Reply With Quote Likes