Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Is there really such a place called... (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/there-really-such-place-called-168973/)

pamelalwc 07-26-2006 08:22 PM

Is there really such a place called...

Is there really such a place called Wally World? I thought that was the name of a place in that Chevy Chase movie. If there is, what is Wally World? I just saw it on a thread and all I can picture in my head is Chevy driving that dump of a car to Wally World. Is it for real?

MaryR 07-26-2006 08:25 PM

Walmart

GarnetJ 07-26-2006 08:26 PM

There was a theme park called Wally World in London. Just found that info on about.com

http://themeparks.about.com/b/a/032793.htm

smitty2004 07-27-2006 04:41 AM

LOL it's a loving term for the store Walmart.

afancycat 07-27-2006 05:45 AM

It's what we call our Wal-Mart too!

jmhoffmann 07-27-2006 07:01 AM

Affectionately known as WalMart...

pamelalwc 07-27-2006 07:52 AM

Ok now I feel like a total idiot! Thanks for the info. I am not a Wal Mart shopper for I don't really like them and it is not convenient for me to go there anyway. So now I can call it Wally World.

Thanks again for setting me straight! I do feel like a real dummy though!

nvscrapmom 07-27-2006 07:54 AM

we call our walmart Wally world also, since they are as goofy there as the theme park in the vacation movie

Scrapping&Stamping 07-27-2006 09:35 AM

My dog is named Wally...

Brief story... dad was suprising me with him. He drove by a Walmart and started calling him Wally and it stuck.

Jeanette

lindenfan1 07-27-2006 10:45 AM

My little neice calls is Walmer... like we are going to visit some guy... :)

fionna51 07-28-2006 08:19 AM

Yep, wally world here too...and Target pronounced as if it was french (tar-jhay')...and mac's steak house or the rainbow room or Ronald's place...(mcdonalds...LOL)...how many others can you come up with? (keep it clean, though!!)

cobrielle 07-28-2006 08:20 AM

Thanks for the giggle!!! :)

mamaof3insd 07-28-2006 08:28 AM

We call WW wally world too

and

Kmart is Kame-a-part

and

Target is Targe`

:mrgreen:

Dorinda 07-28-2006 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51
Yep, wally world here too...and Target pronounced as if it was french (tar-jhay')...and mac's steak house or the rainbow room or Ronald's place...(mcdonalds...LOL)...how many others can you come up with? (keep it clean, though!!)

we do the Tar-jhay one too and if you have ever heard of a dept store called
'The Bon Marche`' well we used to call K-Mart .....K-Marche`
and my DH sometimes calld McDonalds...McDisney

cobrielle 07-28-2006 08:40 AM

In Canada, we have a chain of stores called Canadian Tire.....we call them Crappy Tire. Also have a donut chain (best ever!!!) called Tim Horton's. It's referrred to as Tim Hole.

Canadians are weird, what can I say?? :wink:

jmhoffmann 07-28-2006 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51

K...how about Mickey D's for McDonalds; BK lounge for Burger King? We also pronounce Target as "tar-jhay). This is fun!! Any more out there???

Hugs, Joanne :wink:

basurok 07-28-2006 08:47 AM

WE have a farm supply store here in MN called Tractor Supply Company...or TSC on their signage. Well the locals call it Tough $hit Charlies. ;)

I like the Kame a part for Kmart though!

cobrielle 07-28-2006 08:48 AM

FORD--Found on road dead.

eliak 07-28-2006 08:51 AM

My daughter calls McDonald's, Old McDonald's. Now she has me doing it too.

StampinHappyInCT 07-28-2006 08:52 AM

Wally World in Kauai

My husband's late uncle opened a mini-golf/amusement center on the island of Kauai which he called Wally World (his name was Walter). Wally World, however, was destroyed by a hurricane and never rebuilt.

Amanda_Sewell 07-28-2006 08:59 AM

I Prefer to call Walmart - The Evil Empire . . . just sayin'
Jack in the box - Junk in the Buns

Amanda_Sewell 07-28-2006 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobrielle
FORD--Found on road dead.

Fix or Repair Daily

Amanda_Sewell 07-28-2006 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobrielle
In Canada, we have a chain of stores called Canadian Tire.....we call them Crappy Tire. Also have a donut chain (best ever!!!) called Tim Horton's. It's referrred to as Tim Hole.

Canadians are weird, what can I say?? :wink:

My mom calls Canadian Tire that too . . .
I once worked for Tim Hortons -- aren't you proud of me Jen???

im4disney 07-28-2006 09:01 AM

JC Penney is "Jay Say Penae"!! And all the others mentioned.

Amanda_Sewell 07-28-2006 09:03 AM

My DH sometimes calls JC Penney - "James Cash" because he had a friend that worked there and that was what his friend called it.

cobrielle 07-28-2006 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amanda_Sewell
My mom calls Canadian Tire that too . . .
I once worked for Tim Hortons -- aren't you proud of me Jen???

You know it babe!:cool:

ravweb 07-28-2006 09:49 AM

My mother used to call St. Vincent de Paul Thrift Store - Vinny's boutique. And the day old bread store she called the 'used' bread store. LOL. I have a friend who always calls Kmart - K Market. And an out of towner once called our ShopKo (pronounced shop-koe) as Shop kay oh. hee hee.

ddietsch 07-28-2006 10:02 AM

Ever see the movie, Fargo? Well, the dealership they filmed was Wally McCarthy s Lindahl Olds (its since been torn down and part of the Best Buy headquarters campus in Richfield, MN). It was rather circus-ish looking and not the most well liked dealership and known for years as Wally World.

My mother lives a mile from there and when we drove back to Minnesota with our girls the first time, we quoted the National Lampoon Vacation movie, fake crying and all and sang the Wally World sign when we passed by (we knew we had made it!).

fool4scrapping 07-28-2006 10:17 AM

The WalMart we shopped at in Colorado was affectionately known as "Wal-Martinez" in honor of the high hispanic population in the area...

Salvation Army Thrift Store is Sally's....

IHOP is still IHOP though! ;)

SCEmily 07-28-2006 10:20 AM

LOL, Funny thread :)

pamelalwc 07-28-2006 10:24 AM

Ok I need to add a couple more. My dad has always referred to McDonald's as "Wimpee's" I think because in Chicago when he was a boy, there was a burger place with that name (?) Also, my senior year of college I lived in a house with 11 girls, one bathroom, 2 working burners etc. rather a dump and the girls named it IHOP for International House of Passion. So whenever I see an IHOP I always remember the sign at that house. Bad, I know but fun all the same.

I love the name for KMart...Came-a-part! Made me giggle! What else is out there?

valeriecathleen 07-28-2006 10:29 AM

We refer to McDondald's cuisine as "Scottish food". Sounds much better than it actually is.

My son is 6 and he is always asking if we can go to "Chuckie Fried Chicken" - meaning KFC because we would call it Kentucky Fried Chicken.

BasketMom 07-28-2006 10:33 AM

I don't know if this is the same thing or not, but I sell Longaberger baskets/pottery and here are the many ways I've heard customers "say" or "mis-say" Longaberger:

Long-a-necker

Log-ger-berger

and my all time favorite from a customer's husband - 'Berg-a-Longer" :)

BasketMom 07-28-2006 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BasketMom
I don't know if this is the same thing or not, but I sell Longaberger baskets/pottery and here are the many ways I've heard customers "say" or "mis-say" Longaberger:

Long-a-necker

Log-ger-berger

and my all time favorite from a customer's husband - 'Berg-a-Longer" :)

BTW, I meant to say, I think that husband must have dyslexia or something.

lindenfan1 07-28-2006 10:59 AM

Oooh - don't forget that VV Botique - Value Village!!

travelinscrapper 07-28-2006 11:17 AM

another one for FORD is Found on Road Dead!

I work at Wally World and I call it that too.

StampinChrissylea 07-28-2006 11:23 AM

We have a store called Rural King...similar to Tractor Supply but way more cool.

My friend and I call it Hillbilly Hanks...not sure why, but they have the best free popcorn while you shop.

aniam215 07-28-2006 12:42 PM

Long John Silvers = LJS Cafe

Stampin4sandra 07-28-2006 12:53 PM

What about DQ for Dairy Queen??? My son figured that one out right after BK for Burger King.... those little ones are too smart.
Here' another one: We call Home depot "the Zoo"... don't go to the Zoo on Weekends, they let the animals out... LOL

sarakay 07-28-2006 01:38 PM

Am I the only one that thinks of Wall Drug in South Dakota when watching the Chevy Chase movie? Sorry to hijack :)