Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-27-2008, 04:59 PM   #41  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 137 Likes on 54 Posts

I had belonged to a craft of the month club and one month I got a rubber stamping kit. I made a few thank you cards and put it away. A few months later I went to a Close to My Heart get-together. I bought one set and didn't do much with it. About a year later, I was invited to a SU! party. Well, I fell for the wheels and was hooked. I attended five parties plus had my own within a two month span. Finally, I decided to be a demo because there was just too much I still wanted. That was just over five years and over $10000 ago. Granted, a lot of that 10 grand was free, but that's what my Excel spreadsheet totalled my stamps up to. That's just SU. I also have a lot of other individual stamps and supplies. Good Lord, do I have a problem.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 05:02 PM   #42  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to an SU workshop at a friends house. It was one of those feeling obligated to go so I'll come blah blah blah. The demo started talking and I was hooked. I spent $100 our weeks grocery money and fed the hubby and kids hot dogs for the week! (thank god my dh loves hot dogs) I came on to SCS at this demos recommendation and used the tutorials and taught myself at least 3 techniques a week. I turned the spare room into a craft room and had my own workshop, then I signed on. I still love it. thanks Cheryl!

Oh I had looked at rubber stamps at craft stores but could not visualize how to make them look as good as the sticker on back of the wood block looked. i kept asking employees but apparently they didn't know how to stamp. I even bought a stamp (a lobster) and some red embossing powder, but I never figured that out either. It really helped to have someone show me how to do it and how simple it can be.

Last edited by SuG; 01-27-2008 at 05:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 05:07 PM   #43  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Started about 6 years ago at a craft get together with friends. This lady brought in some stamp sets and for those of us who had never done any stamping before, showed us some real basic stamping. I was completely hooked. My mom always says "oh you must save so much money making your own cards" - if she only knew. I just smile and nod my head. My DH just looks at her and rolls his eyes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 05:08 PM   #44  
Polyshrink Goddess

I worked for a state mental hospital and they wanted to set up a vocational program for the patients to make greeting cards and sell them so that they could learn work skills.

I began researching where to get rubber stamps and discovered StampinUp. Within a few months, I had signed up to demo. I am no longer a demo and I rarely stamp because of so many life changes (moving to a new city, getting married, new job, 10 week out-of-town job training right after I got married, etc.) I would love to get out of this slump and start stamping again. Hopefully soon.

Anyway, that's how I got started stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 05:12 PM   #45  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Love reading everyones stories

My addiction began exactly 2 years ago yesterday (Happy Stampaversary to me) when my sister, who had been scrapping for a few years, told me she met a girl that sold scrapping and stamping stuff at Curves, where sis worked, and she was having a party at her house so she could get some free products and needed me to come so I could cook for them!!!

I actually laughed at her for being such a dork and wanting to learn about "stamping"....now she laughs at me because I am WAY more hooked than she is ;) and we are both SU! demos now.

I had never done anything artistic or craft in my life before that day.
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 05:24 PM   #46  
Matboard Maniac

My MIL hosted a SU workshop gosh must be 7 years ago now...wow! and invited me. I was instantly hooked as was she and just this past year I got my mother hooked as well. It's all in the family around here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 05:25 PM   #47  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

10 years ago, a friend invited me to a "craft day" at a ladies bible study group on base. One of the stations had hand stamped cards, in fact they were gold embossed and ready for us to color. My friend and I, both loving crafts decided that we wanted to do this so we searched for stamps, ink and embossing powder. What we ended up with was the ink pads that they use in offices not knowing that these were the wrong ones and also tried to use them to emboss. Did the embossing on her toaster or built-in grill on her stove top. Needless to say, things did not go well but that did not discourage me. A couple of weeks later, my cousin invited me to my first SU party. I was hooked from then on and 4 years later, my cousin became a demo, then a year after that my cousin recruited me. Heat embossing was my first "love" in stamping, though I don't do it much now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 05:35 PM   #48  
Matboard Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to eangello

I reluctlantly went to a SU demo party about 3 years ago. That was it, I have been ordering monthly ever since. I think SU is a great place to start. And this site really keeps me motivated. I try to keep scrapbooking photos too, but the cards are addicting.

Stamp On!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 05:48 PM   #49  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

I actually started when I was a kid (sort of). I collected stickers and rubber stamps. I had My Little Pony, Cabbage Patch Kids and other kid themed stamps. They were the kind that came with their own ink pad in the base. I would play around with them doing kid stuff. I was always crafty. My mom taught me how to sew and do cross-stitch. And as I got older I didn't really use my stamps any more. Then about 7 years ago; I was watching Carol Duvall. She had a guest that was making this cute little basket with stamps. It was so cool. I went to the website and looked at the directions. In the section that tells you about the sources it listed the stamp company. I went to that website and found other cool stamps. Now, where to buy them?? I did a search and found there was a stamp store in my town. I had no idea. So, one day over my hour lunch I went with the thought that I had to check this place out. My jaw literally dropped when I walked in the door. The store is Stampede in York, PA (for those of you in the area). She has floor to ceiling stamps. Anything you can imagine. I could not believe it. I had no idea the selection of stamps. Then I told a co-worker about this place and she said; "My friend sells stamps for Stampin Up. Do you want to see a catalog?" I said sure. She brought one the next day and I browsed over lunch. Well my wish list was very long. I had a limited budget at the time. Since it was November and close to Christmas I called my mom (who is generous every year at Christmas even though I am no longer a child) and I asked her what my budget for Christmas was this year? She gave me her credit card number and I placed an order. Then January comes and it's Sale-A-Bration and I had Christmas money to spend. I bought another $300 worth. The demo told me I should sign up to be a demo and take advantage of the sign on promo plus I get to buy everything at a discount. I signed up in February and am still a demo 7 years later. The master bedroom in my 2 bedroom apartment is dedicated to this hobby. My niece tells me it looks like a stamp store. It's therapy and much cheaper than going to a real therapist.

Thanks for letting me share my story. It has been great reading others stories.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 05:51 PM   #50  
Pearl-ExPert

I was selling avon door to door. I went to a neighbors house and she said "come on in, let me show you what I do!". Well, the rest is history. I signed up as a SU! demo and am now with TAC (couldn't afford the SU! minimums). I love it!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 06:14 PM   #51  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just an innocent bystander. Really. The bug just reached over and bit me hard!

I'm another of the obligitory guest at a family member's workshop. Didn't want to hurt SIL's feelings... like I said, got bit hard! And it's nearly 4 years ago now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 07:01 PM   #52  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

It is so funny to read all the stories,...I had a friend who always came to "WHATEVER" was the thing at the time and she had a stamp party,at the time I was looking for a stensel to do in my kitchen of a vine,well I saw the stamp set and new it would work but thought I should have a party so I'd get the hostess stuff,...that as all have said was 10 years ago and MANY $$$$$$ ago,yes I told DH that I would save so much money,...I know he does know better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 07:48 PM   #53  
Hardware Hotshot

My neighbor invited me over just one year ago to an SU! workshop and of course told me about SCS. Wow been hooked ever since!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2008, 10:37 PM   #54  
Matboard Maniac

When I was around 15 (1996), my family was having some trouble, so my two crafty aunts were trying to spend some time with me and they took me to a stamping class at a Pat Catan's craft store. I loved it, and they bought me a few things to get started. Embossing was the big thing then, so they got me a bunch of powders and a heat gun. I remember them taking me to what must have been a very early SU party as well where we used a brayer and a kaleidecolor, and they bought me a brayer, which I've never gotten much use out of. I stamped on and off ever since then - I made my own Christmas cards with Pearl Ex and a stamp from Michael's in 2003, which was a technique I learned from my mother in law, who is a huge stamper. She has a craft room with three full size bookshelves full of SU sets. In the fall of 2005 I went to my second SU party, which was at my mother in law's. I didn't intend to buy anything, but I ended up with Snowflakes and I made my Christmas cards with it that year. I liked the SU products, but I wasn't big into them. Then a friend of mine invited me to a stamp camp with her in January of 2006, and that's when the real obsession started. I bought a few stamp pads that night and ordered one stamp set, and continued going to stamp camps with her that year and ordering small things. Then last January, I spent $150 to do my own catalog party and got all the papers and bunch of stamp pads. We moved and I found a new demo at my church, and I've been ordering stuff from her ever since, and I'm about to do a $350 catalog party in February. I hate to think of what my catalog party amount will be next year! Now my mother in law and the friend who took me to stamp camp always buy me SU gifts. Just today I got purely pomegranate and soft sky double-stitched ribbon from my friend!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2008, 12:16 AM   #55  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpmayoView Post
Love reading everyones stories

My addiction began exactly 2 years ago yesterday (Happy Stampaversary to me) when my sister, who had been scrapping for a few years, told me she met a girl that sold scrapping and stamping stuff at Curves, where sis worked, and she was having a party at her house so she could get some free products and needed me to come so I could cook for them!!!

I actually laughed at her for being such a dork and wanting to learn about "stamping"....now she laughs at me because I am WAY more hooked than she is ;) and we are both SU! demos now.

I had never done anything artistic or craft in my life before that day.
TWO years ago? I would have guessed a LOT longer, you're work is awesome!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2008, 12:18 AM   #56  
Crimping Master

My best friend and CM consultant, dragged me, unwillingly, to a party at a friends house. I think it was early 2005...... I've been hooked ever since!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2008, 05:29 AM   #57  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Quote:

Originally Posted by se_stamperView Post
TWO years ago? I would have guessed a LOT longer, you're work is awesome!
Oh my, thank you
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2008, 06:42 AM   #58  
Gallery Gazer

About 7 years ago, I went to my first party because a couple of my preschool Moms friends were having it together and all my other friends would be there. I spent the whole 2 hours holding the newborn baby of a friends' (so she could stamp) and barely payed attention to the stamping. I did order two ink pads (real red and brocade blue) and a set of alphabet stamps 'cause I was really into scrapbooking at that time. I didn't use them in my scrapbooks! The brilliant SU demo (Kristi) handed me a catalog and told me I could keep it until I decided I didn't want to have my own party, then I could give it back! One of my friends had a party a couple of months later and I felt obligated to attend again. Meanwhile, I had looked at the catty on and off for 2 months and really liked the cards and other things I saw in it. At this next party, I bought some more colors of ink pads and some card making materials and a basic stamp set (Nice and Easy Notes that I have long since traded!) I actually participated in the stamping this time and absolutely loved it! Of course, I also agreed to hostess my own party in a couple of months, too. I was hooked from that point on! I really think it is all because my demo just gave me the catty for free that I got so hooked!

I still don't use my stamps very much in my scrapbooking, though! My goal for 2008 is to try to incorporate more stamping in my scrapbooking!

Great question!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2008, 01:21 PM   #59  
Polyshrink Goddess

As a single mom, I started back to school when my daughter was a toddler and after 12 (YES 12!!) years of plodding along I was finally in my last semester and had to do a stint as an intern in a second grade class room. My supervising teacher invited me to her SU party, and wanting to win brownie points of course I went expecting to spend only the very barest minimum amount. A year and a half later I am still one of her best customers and we are now wonderful friends and the highlight of my month is attending her stamp club night....(And I NEVER spend only the minimum amount!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2008, 01:53 PM   #60  
Hardware Hotshot

Growing up, my mom had a drawer full of misc. single stamps, but I never did much with them (I was into scrapbooking at the time). About 8 years ago, my SIL signed up as a CTMH demo and I hosted a party for her. Got a few stamps and pads, but still the fire hadn't lit.

And then....in the Fall of '02 a different SIL mentioned that a gal in her neighborhood was having a stamp night. Her and I both missed it, but the demo gave her a catalog to look at. She brought it over to my house and I probably ruined that poor catty with my drool!!!

She told me that I could get a free catty if I hosted a party......and that, ladies, is where it all began. The demo became my upline 6 months later and I loved EVERY minute of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2008, 01:59 PM   #61  
Hardware Hotshot

Growing up, my mom had a drawer full of misc. single stamps, but I never did much with them (I was into scrapbooking at the time). About 8 years ago, my SIL signed up as a CTMH demo and I hosted a party for her. Got a few stamps and pads, but still the fire hadn't lit.

And then....in the Fall of '02 a different SIL mentioned that a gal in her neighborhood was having a stamp night. Her and I both missed it, but the demo gave her a catalog to look at. She brought it over to my house and I probably ruined that poor catty with my drool!!!

She told me that I could get a free catty if I hosted a party......and that, ladies, is where it all began. That demo became my upline 6 months later--I LUVS ya Kelli!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2008, 02:56 PM   #62  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Mississippi McGyver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I too have loved reading everyone's stories. 23 years ago, my Aunt gave me a little cat stamp. I still have that stamp, but haven't used it for awhile. I used it a lot for bookmarks and when I was teaching on student's papers. I was joking with her the other day that it is all her fault. My Uncle told my husband that he was sorry. Fortunately both men are very understanding when it comes to our stamping addictions. Even though stamping-card making has taken over both of our houses.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2008, 03:33 PM   #63  
Die Cut Diva

My daughter had been stamping for several years. About 3 years ago she asked if I would be interested in making Christmas cards. She showed me some samples from her card group, I found a card sample that I liked, I picked out a stamp set from her SU catalog, and the two of us made cards, which I really enjoyed. A couple months later she told me there was an opening in her card group, and would I be interested? Of course, I said, and I have been at it ever since and enjoying it immensely. My grandkids love getting cards from me, and my daugher and I make all birthday cards, Christmas cards, Halloween cards, Easter cards, Valentine cards, etc., etc., etc. Of course, I am saving big bucks making my own, aren't I? LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2008, 04:30 PM   #64  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well, no one has mentioned starting at age 5, but that's about the age I was when I got a Shari Lewis and Lambchop stamp set for a gift--and that's what started a pen, ink, and paper obsession for me--around 1961! (I think I still have that set somewhere . . . )

As far as really getting hooked into stamping, though--a friend and I were wandering around our county fair and in one of the 'local businesses' tents, there was a gal doing stamping and embossing. She had a stamp business out of her home, and showed us how to do it--and we spent a bundle on stamps, rollagraph stamps, and Colorbox inks. Embossing was done holding the card or paper over the range (electric--not gas!). We burned our fingers a lot--but we also got the 4-H group we led involved in stamping, and the kids stamped tons of 'bunny' items to sell at rabbit shows to earn money for the club. That was in 1990.

And the addiction continues! "My name is Deb, and I am a stamper!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2008, 05:27 PM   #65  
Die Cut Diva

One summer while I was at our cottage in MI my neighbor donated some hand stamped cards to a silent auction we were having. They were such cute cards. When I asked about them and she showed me what she did. I loved it, but I had small kids then so it was really just something I did every once in awhile. She kept telling me to get a demo, but I had never met anyone else who stamped so how did you find a demo. This was in the days before you could just hop on the internet and find one and since she lived in MI and I lived in TN she could not introduce me to hers. Finally about 5 years ago, I found a demo and really became addicted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2008, 07:07 PM   #66  
Rubber Obsessor

I was a Longaberger consultant years ago and we had a meeting with our Upline and she invited a Stampin Up demonstrator to come and show how you can make nice tags, thank you cards, etc to give to your hostess' and customers. I was so hooked I immediately booked a party. I absolutely love stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2008, 07:23 PM   #67  
Rubber Obsessor

My first stage of stamping was around 1970. My grandma had a box of cartoon character stamps and red and black office ink pads. We played with them a lot, and those stamps were caked black!!

Fast foward to around 1986. My aunt found out about embossing powder, and when I visited her one weekend, we made embossed cards that we colored with markers. We still have those stamps from the late 80's. One looks like a stained glass window, and the other one is a heart shape filled with lots of different flowers and leaves. They are also pretty black, because I didn't discover STAMP CLEANING until I started buying from SU about 10 years ago!

Suzy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2008, 07:29 PM   #68  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm. Do you think men sit around talking about the first time they.....
threw a football? lol

I had dabled a little in papercrafting over the years-mostly quilling. Spring of 2002 I was in a real slump from a series of life altering events. Didn't want to leave the house except to work. My dear friend Judy begged, pleaded and finally dragged me to a stamp camp. Well, an $80.00 order later I was a goner! lol Still loving the colors, textures, patterns and creativity. Thanks Judy!

Martha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2008, 10:46 AM   #69  
Matboard Maniac

I started buying the clear $1 stamps at Micheal's and AC Moore a few months ago and a neighbor invited me to join a SU stamp camp for 6 months back in August. I have had a blast and love SU/stamping! I have learned much from Terra, our Demo and she's the most talented paper craft artist I've ever met. I'm hooked!

I'm signing on with TAC because the company fits me personally, but I'm still crazy about SU and am looking forward to trying some new stamping options that I've read about on SCS. I love VARIETY!