Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Teacher Gifts (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/teacher-gifts-437274/)

make'n'take 05-14-2009 03:04 PM

Teacher Gifts

I was just trying to get ideas to make the children teacher's this year for year end. I don't know if you do that where you are but it is coming close here and my kids are asking. Any suggestions?:)

creatingisfun 05-14-2009 03:05 PM

I did some cute little backpacks from a template I found here

StampinSharon 05-14-2009 03:24 PM

Here are a couple of teacher appreciation gifts I made:

http://stampingsharon.com/teacher-appreciation-gift

http://stampingsharon.com/love-you-a-latte

http://stampingsharon.com/pretty-pencils

craftsrlb 05-14-2009 03:26 PM

teachers gift

I made my childrens teachers monogram note cards. I made them in red and black and put a tiny apple in the corner. I know they get a ton of apple stuff, but since I don't know the tastes of the teachers, I figure they can use them when thanking other kids/parents for the gifts they receive. I have had 1 teacher ask for more, and 1 who has not touched them, and that was at christmas...(she wont get more)

Hiding in My Craft Room 05-14-2009 03:33 PM

A have another question about teacher's gifts. At what grade do you stop sending them? I suppose it depends on the child, too. My son has a couple of teacher's that have really been great this year. I don't think he is too excited about any of my ideas.

craftsrlb 05-14-2009 04:15 PM

teachers gifts

I guess it all depends on the kids. My son is 8 in 3rd grade and he takes whatever I send him with. My daughter is 12 in 7th grade and she still takes things for her teachers..there are more of them in middle school, so they get smaller treats. I also for valentines day made the teachers the milk cartons in the carry case and put chocolates in them

Gina K. Designs 05-14-2009 04:31 PM

I am making a pretty set of coasters like these:
Tile Coasters

I think they will go over a well and the set of four is under $5.00. :)

MrHambo 05-14-2009 04:38 PM

Small plants were a big hit this year and dessert mixes in glass containers were a hit too. My favorite part of the week...my wife organized it this year at school...was the questionnaires the kids filled out about their teachers. Sample questions..

What makes your teacher proud?
How are you and your teacher alike?
What makes your teacher happy?

Some of the answers were read aloud at assembly...some were hilarious, some thoughtful and sweet. The teachers loved it.

MiamiKel4 05-14-2009 04:59 PM

As a former volunteer for many years in countless classrooms, I can't tell you how overjoyed the teacher's were to receive Gift Cards! Big happy smiles. Even if it's $5. for a quick cup of coffee at Starbucks, they so appreciate it. Add some hand-made cards & it makes a nice semi-homegift ;)

My kids stopped giving gifts around Jr. high when they went from having one teacher & a few special area teachers to having 7 and 8! They did have a favorite though and sometimes brought in something for that one teacher.

Gifts I made this year:
1. A terra cotta pot with the teacher's name written on it - I used puffy paints but all purpose sharpies do the trick! I wrote each child's name on the pot, made flowers out of the MS Big Flower Punch, Cuttlebugged a circle out of the middle of it and put in each child's face as the center of the flower. Added those into the styrofoam, moss & It's an adorable gift! I think I used HD cardstock w/ craft sticks.
2. Handmade cards - that was a special request! She didn't have time to buy them & write them out so I made some generic ones in her favorite colors.
3. Calendar w/ a handmade cover in DSP and slipped it inside the plastic flap.

I can't think of what else at the moment, but I know I've done a lot of crafting! :mrgreen:

steubner 05-14-2009 05:27 PM

I typed out things like "I like Ms. Smith because..." and "She makes me laugh when..." and had them write the answers. I'm going to put them together and make a little coaster book, along with a little set of cards or something. I hope they like it.

smileyj 05-14-2009 05:36 PM

Shannan-as a former teacher I just found a booklet like you are doing from 20 years ago. I was amazed at how many kids I remembered. It was such a touching gift. Handmade cards are wonderful especially just a note and thank yous.

anniesmom 05-14-2009 05:50 PM

I made these for teacher appreciation gifts. I also tucked in a coffee gift card.

//www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/1344156?cat=500&ppuser=3580

StampinMelis 05-14-2009 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. Designs (Post 14065706)
Tile Coasters

I wish *I* taught Gina K's kids!!! ;)

Speaking as a teacher, nothing apples. LOL I can always use thank-you notes to send to parents who help out. Even a handmade set of coupons would be fun -- good for an hour of copying (you come in and give of your time) or reading to the kids, or cutting stuff out. There are so many little things that I could use help with! I think we all could!

sophmad 05-14-2009 07:24 PM

When you give monogrammed note cards, do you use the first name initial or the last name initial?

steubner 05-14-2009 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smileyj (Post 14066677)
Shannan-as a former teacher I just found a booklet like you are doing from 20 years ago. I was amazed at how many kids I remembered. It was such a touching gift. Handmade cards are wonderful especially just a note and thank yous.

How fun!! I hope the teachers like them. And if not, I'm making brownies :D

Hiding in My Craft Room 05-14-2009 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophmad (Post 14067857)
When you give monogrammed note cards, do you use the first name initial or the last name initial?

I read on Justrite stampers that you can do either; however, since it is for a teacher and we typically only call them by Mrs or Mr so-in-so I would use the last initial. Just my two cents!

make'n'take 05-15-2009 07:26 AM

Thanks for all the feedback and as to the question about what grade do you stop. I say I'm going to stop when they have more then a 2-3 teachers. That would be when my kids git junior high. I'm done and if my children want to send them then they can make their own. I will help probably because I can't resist.

APandi 05-15-2009 07:39 AM

In the May DD gallery, that just opened today, ellismom made a beautiful in/out box that any teacher would love.
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...7430?cat=16919
If you aren't a DD member I don't think you will be able to access the above link.

make'n'take 05-15-2009 01:47 PM

I was just wondering if there was any template that is a ruler or an apple type calculator, something schoolish template box or something (3-d item) out there? That might be cute!

rogers2345 05-20-2009 02:31 PM

Apples are really cute, but if you are stuck stop in and take a look around your childrens clasrooms. Most teachers have their own style and colors they love. That will really personalize it for them. If you can't figure it out ask another teacher who teaches the same grade. Chances are they will no exactly.
Shelley

The MFT Lady 05-20-2009 04:00 PM

There's a free template you can download, that Jody used to make THIS project.
Hope it helps!

jensman 05-20-2009 04:33 PM

Teacher gifts

I just made each teacher a coaster for her coffee mug for teacher appreciation week earlier this month. I've also given the insulated travel-style coffee mugs that have the removable sleeve inside that you can replace with a stamped/decorated one. (They're available at Target for $9.95.) If they're coffee drinkers, I give homemade biscotti and a Starbucks gift card.
My oldest stopped giving gifts when he got to junior high. When I asked this year at Christmas if he wanted to give any of his teachers gifts, I got a prompt, "No way!" How times change...

jensman 05-20-2009 06:01 PM

I thought of another thing that was well-liked a couple years ago...altered clipboards and matching steno pads.

luraeshreves 05-20-2009 06:28 PM

I work in a middle school -- as a computer tech, not a teacher -- and I can tell you the teachers and staff here are THRILLED to get any little thing. As you can imagine, teaching kiddos in the throes of teen-age angst can be emotionally draining, so any act of support is hugely appreciated. It's sad that so many of us parents are "moving on" from the things that we did for our children's elementary school teachers. What some parents do is just bring a plate of goodies, small school supplies, or a crock-pot of soup to the teachers' lounge. A paper crafter could easily put her spin on these ideas. Although it may not feel as personal to the gift giver, it is VERY personally appreciated by all the recipients.

LoKawal 05-20-2009 06:55 PM

I am the principal of Junior High the teachers always are thrilled to have you acknowledge they did indeed make a difference in your son/daughter's life. Too many parents cease volunteering at this age and the teachers go it alone. Food (home baked, coupons to coffee) are never amiss and match any decore. Please continue to let them know they matter! Junior High (middle school) is tough!

craftsrlb 05-20-2009 07:01 PM

teachers gifts

I have posted a pic in my gallery of some monogram cards I made for christmas, but will make more, because I know they have given them all out.
I have to say, as a teachers aide for middle school, it is very much appreciated when we are given even the smallest of gifts (they usually mean the most). As kids get older, teachers are "forgotten" I still send things in for my daughters teachers and she is in 7th grade. I dont think there will come a time where she does not want to take things for them, but if it happens with my son (or her) I will take the things in myself. They need to know that we appreciate ALL they do and put up with

Rubbernecker 05-20-2009 07:58 PM

I was room mother for my daughter's 5th-grade class last year. My co-room mother and I created a sheet that said "Why I'm Smarter Than a 5th-Grader" (taking after that game show on Fox - not sure if it's still on) and had each student write something they had learned during the year and attach a picture of themselves. The responses were really varied, but taken together they were really sweet and touching. We put it in a decorated 8 1/2 x 11 binder with page protectors. The teacher loved it.

Individually, I made these by Dannie Graves for several of the teachers and they were a huge hit.
http://danniesdesigns.typepad.com/my...ard-tutor.html
I used the retired Sparkling Summer set (also cased from Dannie but I can't find that right now) and on the cover put "What will Mrs. Smith do on her summer vacation?" and it had pockets for "meet a friend for coffee", "eat some ice cream", "see a movie", etc. with $5 gift cards to Starbucks, Cold Stone, the movie theater/Blockbuster.

Payton 05-20-2009 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by make'n'take (Post 14064558)
I was just trying to get ideas to make the children teacher's this year for year end. I don't know if you do that where you are but it is coming close here and my kids are asking. Any suggestions?:)

I just made mini scrapbooks with a summer theme very cute and they can add thier own pics!

Choc0holic 05-20-2009 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubbernecker (Post 14121450)

Individually, I made these by Dannie Graves for several of the teachers and they were a huge hit.
http://danniesdesigns.typepad.com/my...ard-tutor.html
I used the retired Sparkling Summer set (also cased from Dannie but I can't find that right now) and on the cover put "What will Mrs. Smith do on her summer vacation?" and it had pockets for "meet a friend for coffee", "eat some ice cream", "see a movie", etc. with $5 gift cards to Starbucks, Cold Stone, the movie theater/Blockbuster.

What a clever idea! I need to find some time for this!!!

inspiredbypurple 05-20-2009 09:40 PM

What about Acrylic post-it-note holders for their desk? Does this sound like a good idea?

Linda*Loo 05-20-2009 10:12 PM

Those paper backpacks are darling! And, they fit gift cards too!

Furph's wife 05-21-2009 02:56 AM

I have done a bunch of things over the years, the acrylic frames as post it note holders are a hit, and so was the 6x6 calendars that you slip into a CD case (I made those for Christmas and they all loved them). At the end of the school year I give the main teacher a name frame and all the specials (art, music, PE, secretaries etc) something small. I do give to the middle school teachers and found it was way easier than elementary school cause they have 5-7 teachers whereas elementary school altho they do have one teacher there are so many others that my kids worked with also.
I have 2 in middle school now, but when they left elementary school to move on I had them write a letter to each teacher they had in elementary school telling them how they impacted their life and then I made something small for them. This year I had a box with extras from what I had made before and split them up between my 2 middle schoolers. For my one that is still in elementary school I am making mini scrapbooks for her to hand out, plus the letters cause she is redistricting for next year.

kerryj106 05-21-2009 03:45 AM

This year I'm buying gift certificates to the movie theatre (we can get passes for 2 adults, 2 drinks and a popcorn). I'm packaging them in one of Lauren's timeless template totes with some microwave popcorn and candy bars. Similar to this one by Lauren. I'm going to use MFT's new teacher set - it's so super cute and a steal at $9!

kellybee 05-21-2009 05:24 AM

I made some boxes (Kelly Lunceford's blog has the instructions) and they have a little mini desk set inside (the one's from M's with the mini stapler, tape dispenser, etc). They are the perfect size for slipping a gift card in. (Tim Horton's go over well here!)

Here's a pic of one (an "Open" and "Closed" pic - you can't really make out the desk set but if you shop at M's you'll know the sets I'm talking about.)

http://kelly.studiobeemusic.com/wp-c.../05/boxkit.jpg

http://kelly.studiobeemusic.com/wp-c...05/boxgirl.jpg

Aleska901 05-21-2009 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. Designs (Post 14065706)
Tile Coasters

That's what I am doing. I think the tile coasters can be something special that will last and last.

Lizard M 05-21-2009 05:46 AM

Hi everyone, This is my first time to post so here goes. I was a teacher for 33 years and I always appreciated things that were practical and usable. Gift cards were my favorite thing and very much enjoyed. Now I'm retired, but work as a church secretary. We have a day school associated with our church so I have made our teachers altered clip boards (tedious if you are not into modge podge) and the acrylic frame sticky note pad holders. At the start of this school year, I used the directions for the diaper fold pouch to create a holder for a lunch box size chip bag and a candy bar. I used 12x12 double sided CS and punched out a scolloped shape with a greeting stamped on it and added a little bling. The teachers were grateful to have something to munch on during the looooong inservices. Some of them recycled the pouches by using them for small desk supplies. I have also put a purse sized package of kleenex and small tube of handcream in the pouches for a lady's birthday party treat bag. Directions for all three of these ideas are at splitcoast stampers. Thanks and happy scrapping.

a1r601 05-21-2009 06:12 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I don't know what your children's ages are, but I just made three of these frames and matching cards for my son's preschool teachers. You can find and use any kind of poem in the frame and makes a quick, easy and affordable gift. I found the poem from someone here on SCS...link is in my gallery. The frames were the $1 autograph frames from Target dollar spot. I liked them so much I went back and bought the rest of the frames. The frames have a square opening that you can use for a sentiment or you can just trace the cardboard matting that comes with the frame on cardstock and line with patterned paper like I did on the frames. The apple embellies are made out of felt backed with cardstock for stability and hand stitched.

Some of the gals who have replied have come up with some great ideas as well...this was just the easiest thing for me to do this year. I think this poem would go well with for teachers with the much younger kids (preschool-kindergarten).

The first pic is what the frames look like if you use the cardboard matting with the square in the middle. The other pics are the frames I made for the preschool teachers.

a1r601 05-21-2009 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellybee (Post 14123232)
I made some boxes (Kelly Lunceford's blog has the instructions) and they have a little mini desk set inside (the one's from M's with the mini stapler, tape dispenser, etc). They are the perfect size for slipping a gift card in. (Tim Horton's go over well here!)

Here's a pic of one (an "Open" and "Closed" pic - you can't really make out the desk set but if you shop at M's you'll know the sets I'm talking about.)

http://kelly.studiobeemusic.com/wp-c.../05/boxkit.jpg

http://kelly.studiobeemusic.com/wp-c...05/boxgirl.jpg

Great gift set...so adorable! Love the fun paper you used! Perfect for a teacher's gift!:mrgreen: Will have to check out Kelly Lunceford's blog for the template. Thanks!

shaybay1970 05-21-2009 07:28 AM

Last year I made the teachers keepsake boxes to put the "Special Items" they want to hang on to in.On the inside of the lid was a picture of the child,and their answer to "why is Mrs... special".On the outside I put the school year in the brass plate holder thingy.This way they sit on a shelf and they can be gone through whenever and they keep stuff from getting dusty.

loalle727 05-21-2009 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinSharon (Post 14064813)

These pencils are really cute! I'm sure anyone would like to receive them.
[email protected]