Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-03-2004, 04:06 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Teacher gift ideas for MEN

Ok, I know there have been tons of suggestions for teacher gifts before. But, I just found out that my Daughter's teacher this year is a male teacher. So anyone got some ideas that aren't too girly?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2004, 04:17 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a memo cube would be great for anyone. Also you could make a plain-ish pen with his name or the school name on it (inserted in barrel).
Member #1237
My Gallery

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2004, 08:29 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

How about a covered jr legal pad in a man theme Or a teacher theme.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2004, 08:31 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Alta Loma, CA ~~ With the *Girls* ~~~~~~~ Rubi, BeckyZ and Bia

Starbucks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2004, 08:41 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

somehow my above post posted again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 05:12 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

My daughter is in high school and has four male teachers! However, I don't know how "cool" it would be to send her to school with teacher gifts. What do you guys think?

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 05:17 AM   #7  
Inking Addict

I know my son wouldn't be caught dead brining his teachers a gift in High school But it's also a boy. He won't even bring in the required box of Kleenex the teacher requested. Girls are different I have one of them too. The last 2 years my daughter had male teachers and we did Blockbuster gift cards, Barnes and noble gift cards, Theater gift cards and coffee. They really appreciated it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 05:17 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think they would like to feel appreciated as well but they probably dont need as much "uplifting" as women do!! I would think if you stuck to the holidays and sent food (in nice stamped containers/bags of course) they would appreciate that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 05:19 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I used to teach at a high school and rarely got gifts. However, I did get a few and just the fact that I got something was wonderful. The best was homemade treats that she called Puppy Chow (also known as Muddy Buddies). These are a chocolate, peanut butter, Chex mix, powdered sugar confection. Yummy!

I got a troll doll dressed in leather once (to commemorate my purple leather skirt). Still have him.

Stamped memo cubes are a great idea. Snacks and gift certificates can also be presented in stamped containers/envelopes and are great.

That all said, ask your daughter if she wants to bring it in. This will really depend on her. Some kids love to do this stuff and some would rather just die!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 05:20 AM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I made a gift for my female teacher friend to give to her male coworker......I decorated a large paint can with masculine patterened paper and dark brads, buttons, twine, etc. It was to put chalk and erasers in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 05:34 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think my daughter will have problems taking a gift in. She's in 2nd grade where it's still really cool to do it.

We visited the school and the teacher seemed really great but decorating the room and stuff really didn't seem his thing. So I guess I'll stick to food this year.

I like to start thinking ahead because it takes me forever to come up with just the right idea. Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 06:29 AM   #12  
The Digi-Freak

Quote:

Originally Posted by photocropper
I think they would like to feel appreciated as well but they probably dont need as much "uplifting" as women do!!
Absolutely NOT true!!! They need just as much uplifting!!!

My dh is a teacher (3rd grade) and he gets worn out and beat down just as much as the female teachers!! He's lucky to get something from the dollar tree once a year... he teaches in a very low income area.

Honestly, you know what makes his day? A nice note! Send her teacher a card once/month or so and outline some things you see him doing well. For example "I really appreciate the way you have encouraged my daughter in math. She has grown a lot in her math skills and I think you have made a positive influence on her" Comments like that make a teacher's day/week/month/year!

And my dh *loves* food. If you can find out his favorite treats (doritos, m&ms, and coke would be my husband's!) and make a snack survival basket/box or something that would be really cool!

DH says his mailbox at school is always full of bad things (required meetings, nagging notes from the principal, etc..) and if there is any way you could get a note into the mailbox, that would be really cool, because it would help offset the negativity he associates with the mailroom ;)

Kimberly

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 06:32 AM   #13  
The Digi-Freak

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin_chiquie

We visited the school and the teacher seemed really great but decorating the room and stuff really didn't seem his thing. So I guess I'll stick to food this year.
Hehe, that's funny! I did my dh's bulletin boards his first 2 years.... he's in his 4th year teaching and he can finally do them on his own, but he still doesn't like to! He doesn't do borders and stuff until I nag him. It looks SO tacky to have bulletin boards with no border!!! LOL

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 06:40 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh Kimberly --- I did not mean anything bad by my statement. I did not mean to offend anyone.
I am on the pta and we do something called pta secret pal where we do little things when we can (or want to) for the teachers and they love it. I just think that men dont expect all the nicey nice things that women do. Does that make sense? Not that they dont deserve great things because I could never be a teacher and I respect those who are.... I tell my sons daycare providers and my daughters teachers how much I appreciate all they do, all the time because I am not cut out for that kind of work....

Shelley

ps I love the chalk and eraser in the can idea - except I will have to make it white board pens!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 10:05 AM   #15  
Failed Lurker

Just asked my husband - who starts his first full-time teaching job on Monday - what he would like as a gift. He said: "BEER!" Somehow I don't think that's appropriate... well at least not till 6th Grade!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 10:27 AM   #16  
The Digi-Freak

Quote:

Originally Posted by photocropper
Oh Kimberly --- I did not mean anything bad by my statement. I did not mean to offend anyone.
Oh, heavens no, you didn't offend me! I was just wanting to make sure the OP knew that a male teacher will DEFINITELY appreciate the special touch!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2004, 10:29 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

All teachers enjoy & deserve unexpected pleasures! Guys enjoy enjoy gift cards to Blockbuster & bookstores (& Home Depot ), just like women, along with a cute thank you card! Baskets of snacks & goodies or notepads .... everyone enjoys a special treat! What about a stamped "coupon" for free set up of a holiday or themed bulletin board or extra party help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 05:13 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Just asked my husband - who starts his first full-time teaching job on Monday - what he would like as a gift. He said: "BEER!" Somehow I don't think that's appropriate... well at least not till 6th Grade!
Too funny - you know you should do a basket for him and take it to the school with - those neat bottles of ROOT BEER and his favorite snacks.

Last Easter someone had done cool little baskets like that and sold them and I got one for my husband....He thought it was cute!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 05:35 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

You could stamp a tile (coaster) for their coffee cup on their desk. I received one of those from a friend last year, and I use it all the time in my stamp room- now that school has started I will have to take it to work.
You could stamp the coaster, stamp a tag, place a packet of M&Ms or candy bar on top of coaster and wrap both with a ribbon, attach tag, and it would be a beautiful presentation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 05:38 AM   #20  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGrammy
All teachers enjoy & deserve unexpected pleasures! Guys enjoy enjoy gift cards to Blockbuster & bookstores (& Home Depot ), just like women, along with a cute thank you card! Baskets of snacks & goodies or notepads .... everyone enjoys a special treat! What about a stamped "coupon" for free set up of a holiday or themed bulletin board or extra party help!
Cute idea granny... the teachers always need extra help with these things.
Now that I have my own classroom with door and bulletin board I don't like changing it like I thought I would. There is not enough time with all the other things that are expected of you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 06:53 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

How about one of the new 6 x 6 calenders? My swap group is doing these and I know one of them is going to use it for a male teacher. Also I think a pack of note cards, some with Thank You or Just a Note or something that a teacher may use along with a pen or pencil. Food is always great too, maybe a gift certificate for a restraunt or for how about a 12 pk. of his favorite pop/soda. What about some stamped stickers to put on papers or some small stamps along with a spot that are appropriate for putting on papers. I'm going to quit now. I think I could go on and on!

Jan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 08:05 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemeynell
ROTFLMBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's exactly my dh's response (he's a vice principal!!!!!!!!!)

My dd had a male teacher; he loved FOOD gifts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2004, 08:29 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Received 123 Likes on 109 Posts

My DS had a male teacher last year for 2nd grade. I have the Valentine I made for him posted in the gallery here. Let me see if my first attempting at linking works. If it doesn't, you're welcome to browse through my gallery here for the Teacher Valentine. Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

For Christmas we gave him a candle in a crock. The crock can be reused indefinitely. At the end of the year we gave him a mug filled with Hershey's Nuggets and Kisses wrapped in gold foil, and the card had a verse about teachers being "as good as gold".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2004, 09:20 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm a teacher...my male colleagues love gift cards and/or to be fed!

One of the clever gifts that the PTO gave each of us for one of the Teacher Appreciation Days was one of those "movie theatre style" popcorn tubs that you put into the microwave. Inside the tub was some decorative tissue and a large candy bar with a gift card to Blockbuster. We all loved it. The PTO president (and luckily, my room mother that year!) said that her family uses that gift if they need a QUICK birthday gift for a child....so clever.

Melissa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2004, 09:34 PM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

Hi, My DH is a Teacher for the DoDDS, we are stationed in Okinawa, Japan, He Teaches 2nd grade he comes home everyday with a HUGE smile on his face, he truly loves his job. He was in constuction for 18 yrs, we back to College and never looked back!!!

As far as a gift, I think it depends on the grade there Teachen ( is that a word ) being in 2nd grade, and 4th ( mainland Japan ). He is happy with anything, even if its a drawing done by the Student, I save everything.

I think the perfect gift for all levels is A Dinner for 2 ( of course for ME ), lol, and forget about the 6 pack....send a 12 pack!!!!!!

Behind every good Teacher is a good Husband or Wife, and that goes for anyone in the Education field, the is pay is low, but the rewards are AWESOME....

I have a great idea.....send my hubby a email tell him he has a great Wife....lol to funny, we should all send each other's DH a email, telling them they are married to a wonderful Women... Oh man, I have April Fools' Day fever.
Reply With Quote Likes