Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-16-2012, 08:03 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? about cmh verses stampin up

Hi everyone I primarily use stampin up, however was taking a look at cmh online catalog (wish I had a hard copy to look at) anyway my questions are:
1. Their card stock how does it rate with su? I do like a heavier cardstock
2. Their colors moonstruck and gypsy what do they compare to in su. The moonstruck reminds me of brilliant blue which is no more and I love. Gypsy looks possibly like lavendar lace?

I am liking some stamp sets too and have no idea how to get a current catalog (which does their catalog come out june 1 too?) and place an order.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Bonnie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I can't help you with the colors, but to find a consultant, just go here:

Close To My Heart - Scrapbooking and Stamping: Consultant Locator

I like their stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

The problem with CTMH is that they have done away with individual paper packs. You have to buy paper in a trio of colors. CTMH has thinner paper. I love it when I am layering. Moonstruck is close to Brilliant Blue, but Gypsy is a little different from Lavender Lace. I like Gypsy better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

CTMH Cardstock is White core. And I think it's 65 weight.

This directly from CTMH (my Demo's) Website:

Cardstock
Available in each of our 60 exclusive colors, this 65 lb. cover weight paper is printed on a white base creating our signature white core. Our cardstock is acid free, lignin free, and buffered. Cardstocks are available in five combo packs (2 each of 12 colors), 15 Shade Packs (4 each of 3 harmonious colors), and select single-color packs (24 sheets of 1 color).

So it looks like you can get them in combo packs as well.

Their 8 1/2" x 11" cardstock is $11.95 and the 12x12 is $14.95 or you can buy them in shade packs for $7.95

And their single color 12x12 packs are $14.95

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2012, 04:25 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I attended my 1st CTMH workshop recently. The colors are pretty, but I found the solid card stock too thin for card bases. I'm a card maker and CTMH seems to be geared more towards scrapbooking. They do have pretty pattern paper and I do like some of their stamps. I also prefer solid core card stock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I agreee with roxy. CTMH is for scrappers

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2012, 05:58 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you ladies for your help I certainly appreciate it. I know not to bother ordering paper :( too bad it isn't thicker for card bases I loved brilliant blue.

Have a great day!

Bonnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #8  
Glitter Queen

Thank the good, sweet Lord! I do NOT need another vendor to buy papercrafting supplies from!!!!! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Sorry if this sounds flame-ish, but I have been a Close to my Heart consultant for 9years and find this thread uninformed, if not disrespectful. Our company has top quality products, as my customers tell me again and again. I have never been shy with showing our products, and believe me, they sell themselves! Our cardstock is 80 lb. not 65, and works great for card bases. We sell the highest quality photopolymer stamps available, and we appeal as much to stampers as we do to scrapbookers. I personally have always been a card maker and have never thought Close to my Heart hasn't come through for us stampers. And without mentioning names, no one has ever told me they've had problems with the stamps sticking to the blocks. Please do your research before posting such negative comments about a truly amazing company!

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #10  
Glitter Queen

I Love CTMH products I'am a scraper but I also make cards and I only use CTMH cardstock and I have no problem with card bases. The stamps are awsome you can see exactly where your image is going and I have no problem with them sticking to the blocks.
Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by live4stampinView Post
Sorry if this sounds flame-ish, but I have been a Close to my Heart consultant for 9years and find this thread uninformed, if not disrespectful. Our company has top quality products, as my customers tell me again and again. I have never been shy with showing our products, and believe me, they sell themselves! Our cardstock is 80 lb. not 65, and works great for card bases. We sell the highest quality photopolymer stamps available, and we appeal as much to stampers as we do to scrapbookers. I personally have always been a card maker and have never thought Close to my Heart hasn't come through for us stampers. And without mentioning names, no one has ever told me they've had problems with the stamps sticking to the blocks. Please do your research before posting such negative comments about a truly amazing company!

Anne
My apologies as our cardstock is 65 lb weight. I still love it! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by live4stampinView Post

Anne
This information was taking from the CTMH Website: (my Demo's) and I'm pretty sure it's on all the Demo's websites.

This directly from CTMH (my Demo's) Website:

Cardstock
Available in each of our 60 exclusive colors, this 65 lb. cover weight paper is printed on a white base creating our signature white core. Our cardstock is acid free, lignin free, and buffered. Cardstocks are available in five combo packs (2 each of 12 colors), 15 Shade Packs (4 each of 3 harmonious colors), and select single-color packs (24 sheets of 1 color).

I've seen it and used it.

There is a Different's between SU and CTMH's Cardstock.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I use both CTMH and SU products. I do like SU cardstock for card bases better but other than that I think CTMH has much nicer paper packs that can be used for cardmaking too. Their stamps are awesome and great for cardmaking. As well their stamps are much more affordable. I used to buy SU stamps but don't anymore due to the price. CTMH is not just for scrapbooking in the same way SU is not just for cardmakers. They both have great products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

I use both company's products and love them both. I've not had any problems using either card stock for bases. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've purchased from SU for years and love all their stuff. I have just started to buy a few things from CTMH and have been very pleased. I'm quickly becoming a convert to the clear stamps because they are so easy to use and take up little space in my room. CTMH is very high quality. They take ink well and are very easy to remove from the blocks.

As far as the paper, I like the printed paper selection but I prefer a much heavier weight paper for the base...which I will buy from SU but I prefer PaperTrey or GinaK.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

I like CTMH stamps and I have plenty. I also used to get TAC stamps. But I stick with SU for paper. Ok..SU, Ginak and Papertrey for paper...lol. I have a stamp room and I am now taking up space in TWO other rooms as well....
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Location: Virginia, where we have the beach and mountains all in one state!!

I love love love their color palette!!! But when it comes to paper for cards I stick with PTI. I do like their paper packs where it has designer paper and solid cardstock all together that way I don't have to buy cardstock seperate and the colors match no brainer and I do use this mostly for scrapbooking.

I'm not a consultant but I think CMTH is a great company and I think their prices are very competitive.

My "Small" Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2012, 07:42 AM   #18  
PaulaOlson

I have CTMH cardstock from when I first started stamping in 2000. This sounds weird but I love the way it smells. It is thinner than S.U.'s and if you emboss it with any folders, the white core shows through.

Last edited by PaulaOlson; 05-20-2012 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: spelling

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2012, 09:57 AM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Received 836 Likes on 548 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellebelleView Post
I use both company's products and love them both. I've not had any problems using either card stock for bases. Just my opinion.
Ditto!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2012, 07:02 PM   #20  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 651 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulaOlsonView Post
I have CTMH cardstock from when I first started stamping in 2000. This sounds weird but I love the way it smells. It is thinner than S.U.'s and if you emboss it with any folders, the white core shows through.
Just curious if the white showing through is a positive or negative?

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I LOVE white core paper. It looks great when you tear the edges, or you can use a dabber and it inks very nicely. I have also seen tons of very cool stuff where it is embossed and/or scored....and even a little sandpaper/filing. I really like that feature.

The colors are very current too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirlb19View Post
Just curious if the white showing through is a positive or negative?

Shirl
I think that is totally a style thing and depends on your project. I've seen awesome projects where you put your paper through an embossing folder and then sand off the top of the raised image leaving a white embossed image showing through. But I also love having solid core paper as well because I like being able to tear and distress edges and not having the start contrast of the white. I also like that if you need to, you can sand or rub off glue or extra ink off the surface of your card or project and don't have to worry about a spot of white showing through. But like I said, there are pros and cons to both. If the overall quality is high, it is totally style. That said, a lot of the cheap (as in low quality) cardstock sold like in the big box stores is white core and I wouldn't recommend it... but not based on the fact that it is white core.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2012, 04:37 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

I have only three CTMH sets my late hubby got me at a fair one year. I love them as they were given to me as a gift from him and he never bought me stamps. I wanted to comment that I agree about the core paper issue. It is a personal preference. I LOVE Ranger's Coredinations papers because I do alot of embossing and sanding and I like the look of it. I know it is not for everyone. Non-stampers seem to like the cards I make with it as it is something they aren't familiar with. So, I stock white core and solid in my paper collection (massive that it is...)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

My first love was SU. I have since been introduced to CTMH my second love. I feel the paper has every bit the same quality as SU. I dont really care for white core that I have used in the past because it splits when you fold it into a card. I now only use CTMH papers because it does not split like the ones from Joannes. It also is easier to use in the cricut. Come on ladies I know you have all complained about SU paper from time to time if you use a cricut. It is just too hard to cut through sometimes. I make cards and now I scrapbook as well. I like the CTMH papers better now because of the more ways to use. Also it comes in the 12x12 sheets still. SU I heard is getting rid of their 12x12s.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2012, 09:20 AM   #25  
Cardstock Collector

Default CTMH

I forgot about the stamps now from CTMH. They are awsome. I told you in last post SU is my first love. But now the stamps are way to expensive. I really am sold on CTMH. Cost, being able to see through and ease of storing all being factors. I am in a card club from SU and CTMH also. I will not buy anything but the CTMH stamps now because I found how easy to restamp or stamp over or all the other ways that clear makes easier. I go to my SU card club and realize how hard it is to stamp in the right spot or over something now and didnt realize this before using the CTMH stamps. Try them you will like the papers and the stamps and its soooooo much easier on your wallet!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #26  

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelcardsView Post
My first love was SU. I have since been introduced to CTMH my second love. I feel the paper has every bit the same quality as SU. I dont really care for white core that I have used in the past because it splits when you fold it into a card. I now only use CTMH papers because it does not split like the ones from Joannes. It also is easier to use in the cricut. Come on ladies I know you have all complained about SU paper from time to time if you use a cricut. It is just too hard to cut through sometimes. I make cards and now I scrapbook as well. I like the CTMH papers better now because of the more ways to use. Also it comes in the 12x12 sheets still. SU I heard is getting rid of their 12x12s.
I just want to clarify something for you.
SU! is keeping 12x12 sheets, available in all the colours, including the In Colors.
What has changed is HOW you can purchase them. There are about 12-14 colours (I haven't counted) that can be purchased in a package of one colour only.
Everything else is sold in assorted packages, combined by the colour family ... Brights, Regals, Subtles, Neutrals, and then the two sets of In Colors.
So ... lots of 12x12 available!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #27  
Cardstock Collector

Default 12 x 12s

man my friend will not be happy about that. We were told the 12 x 12s were discontinued by our SU card club lady. My friend ordered all the colors so she could still have them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #28  

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelcardsView Post
man my friend will not be happy about that. We were told the 12 x 12s were discontinued by our SU card club lady. My friend ordered all the colors so she could still have them.
Oh dear, I can understand being disappointed about that.
If she hasn't opened them, she can exchange them for something else.

The textured 12x12 cardstock is being retired ... maybe that's where the confusion came in. :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #29  
Compulsive Stamper

Former CTMH demo, now SU demo.

I do love both companies, each for their own reasons.

For cardstock - I prefer SU most of the time because I usually don't care for the white core. As far as quality, they both are excellent.

As far as stamps, I loved the Acrylix from CTMH and they were the reason I originally signed with CTMH. I have found over time, they just aren't holding up like I hoped they would. The quality has definitely changed over time. My older stamps are turning "weird". Some are super sticky now. Some of them have had a change in texture. These are the ones I bought when the Acrylix first came out. When the company switched from rubber to Acrylix. I've never had a problem with them sticking to my blocks though. I invested hundreds of dollars in their stamps and I'm disappointed that in 6-7 years, these stamps are no longer holding up like they should. Being a former consultant, I have taken care of my stamps exactly as they suggested.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2012, 04:50 AM   #30  
Inking Addict

I's a SU fan and have been for years but I was introduced recently to CTMH and have to say their stamps in my opinion are better quality that SU....they stick to the block where you can struggle with SU's. Images are crisp and they are much better value than SU...

I think CTMH is more up with the trends than SU also... their papers are much nicer than SU too as they have more of a range and after looking at both catti's I would say CTMH are better... I would say CTMH are for cardmarkers and Scrapbookers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2012, 09:12 AM   #31  
Proud Fan Club Member

Lightbulb

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadyLaneView Post
Former CTMH demo, now SU demo.

I do love both companies, each for their own reasons.

For cardstock - I prefer SU most of the time because I usually don't care for the white core. As far as quality, they both are excellent.

As far as stamps, I loved the Acrylix from CTMH and they were the reason I originally signed with CTMH. I have found over time, they just aren't holding up like I hoped they would. The quality has definitely changed over time. My older stamps are turning "weird". Some are super sticky now. Some of them have had a change in texture. These are the ones I bought when the Acrylix first came out. When the company switched from rubber to Acrylix. I've never had a problem with them sticking to my blocks though. I invested hundreds of dollars in their stamps and I'm disappointed that in 6-7 years, these stamps are no longer holding up like they should. Being a former consultant, I have taken care of my stamps exactly as they suggested.

The stamps are super sticky now? Have you tired washing them and letting them air dry?

This might help. I have CTMH stamps from long ago. And I haven't had any problems with them. But I do wash them from time to time.

It helps get all the grease, lint and other yucky junk off them.

Try it see if it works for you.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes