Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   TAKE TWO- remade card added: Critique my card, please (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/take-two-remade-card-added-critique-my-card-please-121009/)

Skittl1321 02-15-2006 04:46 AM

TAKE TWO- remade card added: Critique my card, please

1 Attachment(s)
I've used this layout a few times for different cards- and I really love it. (Actually- I need to start experimenting with different layouts before all my cards turn into this one)

This card is for an anniversary celebration. I am pleased with it- but it is really missing something to make it pop. How would you change it?

There are others in my gallery similiar to this card- one set is more simple, the other has more layering. You can use them to compare to if you want.

BTW- If the attachment doesn't work the picture is located
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=69416

SuperStamper 02-15-2006 04:59 AM

Have you thought about using a background stamp? Something to tie it together more. I really like the colors you used.

mamakimberly 02-15-2006 05:04 AM

I agree with a background stamp... and maybe use an individual piece of ribbon on each tag? Maybe add a gingham ribbon that matches one of your cardstocks?

It is very cute though :)

Skittl1321 02-15-2006 05:04 AM

What background do you think would work best and in which color? Would you use the same brilliant blue as the tags, or a lighter/darker color?

mamakimberly 02-15-2006 05:16 AM

versamark: fine lace

versamark: floral

versamark: canvas

I think all of those would look good! :) You could sub bordering blue for the versamark!

Skittl1321 02-15-2006 05:21 AM

OOH! Great suggestion- I never think to stamp versamark as the background- but I use it all the time for embossing and poppin' pastels.

I'll have to make up another one when I get home from work tonight and see how the background and individual ribbons changes it. (Of course, I don't have gingham, but I'll need to put that into my next order)

Thanks all for the help!

(Is it five yet? I want to go home and make a card!)

Skittl1321 02-15-2006 12:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay- I redid the card with the changes suggested both here and in the gallery comments. Overall, I like the card better but I think I prefer the long ribbon to the short individual ribbons.

The changes made:
-Versamark background (The only background stamp I have. I HAVE got to get more)
-Tied with individual ribbons
-Changed Celebrate the White Ink instead of embossed
-Matted the Celebrate to add depth.

I did not get a richer color ribbon as suggested (limited supplies) or match the Celebrate mat to the ribbon (again- supplies- I did, match the celebrate mat to the always)

Comments?

Skittl1321 02-15-2006 05:10 PM

bump back to top... I'd love some feedback. I'm new to card making and really hope to get better.

BadSherry 02-15-2006 05:22 PM

Loving the revamp with the background stamp added. When resources are limited I have often used my stamp pad and applied the ink to white paper with a brayer to get the colors I want.

Skittl1321 02-15-2006 05:26 PM

Amazing what a background stamp can do- I'm a believer.

I need to get some more stuff- but it's going to be awhile before I can justify purchasing more. (I've only placed one order with SU- and let's just say I got 3 SAB sets) Unfortunatley because I'm a beginner it's not just papers and ribbons I'm lacking- I only have 3 colors of ink!

stampinboilermaker 02-15-2006 05:50 PM

Take #2 is great (although the first one wasn't so bad, either!). The background stamp and the matting on the Celebrate piece make a subtle difference, and does make it pop more. I like the ribbon both ways, so either would work for me there. I'd say you're off to a great start, and having limited supplies will make you a more creative stamper, and makes it a fun challenge!

Anyway-beautiful card, and keep it up!

parknslide 02-15-2006 07:26 PM

like the re-do---the background stamp really ties it together...also think the original ribbon being one piece threaded thru the 3 tags unifies the piece & fits the theme of togetherness!!!

luvsstampinup 02-16-2006 07:44 PM

I like your card with the bg done, the ribbon I like both ways, so feel it could go either way. One suggestion I have is to add another layer to each tag...something to help the 'Always' Pop out...like maybe a white border on top of the black and then the final layer...I think I have your colors correct but if not, you can still get the idea...the colors don't always show up that well on my pc:???:. Just a suggestion.

KristiK 02-16-2006 09:51 PM

I love the background stamp addition and the layering of celebration, but I really liked the way you did the ribbon originally........just goes to show you we all have different tastes!!!

lsasseville 02-17-2006 11:07 AM

I live the card! i think i would add a wrap ribbon straight across where the celebrate is to match the ribbon at the top. kind of like this...

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...s/tagcard1.jpg

mamakimberly 02-17-2006 11:23 AM

Really cute! I love Lindsay's suggestion too! The background did a LOT for it! :)

Skittl1321 02-20-2006 06:37 AM

OOH Lindsay that's a great idea- the card has already been sent, but I use this layout a lot, so I will have to add that ribbon next time. Thanks so much for the help!

luv2create 02-20-2006 09:12 AM

Both cards look great. The matte on 'celebrate' really adds to the card...and I love the bg. Another way to do a background if you don't have many bg stamps is to use one of your stamps and stamp randomly on cardstock - for example a heart (or different hearts) or flowers...whatever. I've done that many times and it looks great. Another technique I've used to add a little zip to a card is to sponge or do the stamp-direct-to-paper around the edge of the card - on this one I would have used the dark navy. Just a thought.
You are definitely off to a great start.