Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-26-2006, 06:28 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Default Take Ten Cards are HARD!?!

I looked through a Take Ten Book for the first time this weekend, a friend had it. I thought i'd like to try a card that was in there, seeing as though the cover says "creating great cards in ten minutes or less"...
Well, I started this card and it was the hardest, longest card I have ever made! I can normally make about 3 cards in an hour but this 1 card took a whole hour! I felt so stupid!

Have any of you CASEd any of the Take Ten cards and found they were harder or easier than you thought or is it just me?

I did get started and then notice that they probably used the heart shaped punch and I didn't have one so I had to cut the hearts out by hand, but still...It is in my gallery and I will probably never give it away since it was soooooooo tedious to make or I may throw it in the trash because it made me so mad !

I have a new stamp for the back of cards that I used the 1st time on this one that says; "This card was made by hand. If you throw it away those same hands will make a doll in your image and stick pins in its butt"...VERY appropriate for a card that was a pain in the butt, pretty, but a pain!!
Thanks!
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-26-2006, 06:32 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

I have that stamp too!!! I love it. But, to answer your question...I have CASEd a lot from Take 10....think that for some of them they mean 10 minutes or less if you have everything ready to go (it takes 10 minutes or less to assemble). And, believe me, I feel your pain with cutting out hearts!! They can take 10 minutes in themselves. I will check out your card.....bet it's really a 'keeper'!!! We are our harshest critics!!!
Old 06-26-2006, 06:33 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

LOL-I don't know how they think that some of those cards take ten minutes or less!!!

I send them cards all the time and I think that they just randomly decide if it looks more simple to them then they put it in top ten vs. stampers sampler!

But the sender can designate which mag they are submitting for so who knows maybe there are some super zippy stampers out there!!!! :P

My blog
Old 06-26-2006, 06:36 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

Minor thread hijack ...
Where did you get that stamp???? That's too cool!!!
Old 06-26-2006, 06:44 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I too have that stamp and I think it came from a local craft store called "Treasure Island", but they are closed...or maybe Michaels'...it has a purple price dot on it and the logo "Limited Edition". Hope this helps a little!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2006, 06:45 AM   #6  
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsAngotti
Minor thread hijack ...
Where did you get that stamp???? That's too cool!!!
AC Moore. I can't remember who makes it but there was only 1 so my sister and I split the $ so we could share it!
Old 06-26-2006, 06:49 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

When the first Take Ten magazine came out, the cards were simple enough to make in 10 minutes but in the last couple I've seen....... I looked briefly through the summer 2006 copy the other day and thought no way were some of those cards made in 10 minutes. Just my .02. Have a great Monday.

Wanda
Old 06-26-2006, 06:56 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Maybe it takes 10 minutes to assemble! They’re not counting the minutes it takes to cut, stamp, color, design! LOL

I truly enjoy Take Ten, I thought the same thing you have… I know I can’t make a card in 10 minutes!
Old 06-26-2006, 07:03 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

I find I take ideas from several of the cards on a page and use elements and combine them to make one card. But, yes, I think 10 minutes is a little of an underestimation of the time it takes to make some of the cards.

Stampington, the publisher, lends itself to being pretty artsy in its style in many of the publications. It may find as the take ten magazine is published more often it will come back around to more simple cards. Could be they are trying to use up their stock of submissions?

Who knows..just do your best rendition of what you see in the magazine. Use it as a tool to springboard your creativity, color choices, layout, etc..
Old 06-26-2006, 07:06 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

I think the Stampington Company has got it about right - there they have at least three regular publications for different levels of card complexity. Level one : Take Ten Level Two; Stampers Sampler; Level Three: Somerset Studio. It just seems that GENERALLY the graphic design, materials and prep time for the cards in Take Ten are simpler than those in the Sampler.

But with popularity of Take Ten, and the absolute ton of submissions they receive - I wouldn't be surprised if the ante has been raised. I know I am looking for that "little something different" or new in the details on each card.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:09 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Sorry to hijack the thread again but I found the stamps...I also have the "there are skinny stampers, they're just not any good" stamp from the same company.

http://www.limitededitionrs.com/lerslinks/words1
Old 06-26-2006, 07:18 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninatar
I think the Stampington Company has got it about right - there they have at least three regular publications for different levels of card complexity. Level one : Take Ten Level Two; Stampers Sampler; Level Three: Somerset Studio. It just seems that GENERALLY the graphic design, materials and prep time for the cards in Take Ten are simpler than those in the Sampler.

But with popularity of Take Ten, and the absolute ton of submissions they receive - I wouldn't be surprised if the ante has been raised. I know I am looking for that "little something different" or new in the details on each card.
Excellent point...I sub to both Take Ten and Stampers Sampler..I think you are right on.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:13 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

I recall reading on SCS a while back where someone had submitted some cards to Stampers' Sampler and was very surprised several months later when one of her cards was published in Take Ten. Seems pretty silly to me to say a pub is about making cards in ten minutes or less, when they really mean that the cards are just "easier" than those in any other pub they print.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:58 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

If you compare the two magazines, they each their own distinctive style.

I imagine that "fit" is important for the editors - blending colors and styles in a layout is much more than the "best" card. It's about producing a magazine that can be branded and meet readers expectations consistently.

I have said before - it must be fun and very challenging to sift through the submissions.

Nina
Old 06-26-2006, 09:02 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think it IS just that they're using up submissions to other of their magazines. I've heard more than a couple of people say that the cards they submitted were to Somerset, Stampers Sampler, whatever...NOT Take Ten. I just think with the popularity of the concept, they need more real simple cards than they actually get submitted specifically for Take Ten.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:14 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttons2
When the first Take Ten magazine came out, the cards were simple enough to make in 10 minutes but in the last couple I've seen....... I looked briefly through the summer 2006 copy the other day and thought no way were some of those cards made in 10 minutes. Just my .02. Have a great Monday.

Wanda
Ditto!

Take Ten is definitely becoming more artsy and leaning towards the Stamper's Sampler and Somerset than the original concept they started with, IMHO.

I've even submitted a few simple designs to Take Ten specifically, but looking at what they are featuring now, as each subsequent issue is released, it does make me wonder if they'll make "the cut"?

Oh, well. Mebbe they'll turn up in Stamper's Sampler or possibly never cuz they are "too simple" . . . ! LOL! (sheepish shrug)
Old 06-26-2006, 10:27 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Default Viva Las Vegas Stamps

There is a stamp at Viva Las Vegas Stamps that is almost it.
Their website is http://www.professionalbest.us/cgi/store/agora.cgi
just search for "This Is A Handstamped Card" and it should bring it up. You can buy it either mounted or unmounted, I believe.

Logging in each and every day to be inspired by SCS'ers everywhere!
Old 06-26-2006, 11:13 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
Ditto!

Take Ten is definitely becoming more artsy and leaning towards the Stamper's Sampler and Somerset than the original concept they started with, IMHO.

I've even submitted a few simple designs to Take Ten specifically, but looking at what they are featuring now, as each subsequent issue is released, it does make me wonder if they'll make "the cut"?

Oh, well. Mebbe they'll turn up in Stamper's Sampler or possibly never cuz they are "too simple" . . . ! LOL! (sheepish shrug)
Maybe this explains why I am liking Take Ten less and less since I recently discovered it! I don't mind looking at the more artsy cards once in a while, but I get tired of that look very quickly.
I wish they would go back towards the more clean and uncluttered designs!! (I almost said simple and clean, but I think it's actually more difficult to create a well-made card without all the frou-frou's. I guess simple does not necessarily mean "easy" to me.)

Mary Ann

~~ My slowly growing gallery ~~
Old 06-26-2006, 01:39 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

I agree that the concept seems to have changed some. I just looked at the most recent one just today before coming across this thread and was coming to the same conclusisons. I really liked some of the original take 10's and hope that they will go back that way. If not I can always get inspiration here.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:16 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

The cards in Take Ten definately aren't made in 10 minutes! They take a lot longer but I love them. They have some great ideas and I don't mind that they take longer. Actually, I can't make any card in 10 minutes!
Old 06-26-2006, 03:03 PM   #21  
Mad Swapper

I've had a couple of the cards that I submitted to Stampers' Sampler show up in the Take Ten issues that definitely were not 10 minute cards, nor did I claim that they were. It actually kinda ticks me off on one hand, because I put a lot of time and energy into those cards, and they think someone could duplicate it in 10 minutes. Makes me think: "what am I? chopped liver?" It also compromises the integrity of their magazine.

On the other hand, it's still nice to get published and get a free magazine.

But no, someone on staff there must be on crack, 'cause the real 10 minute cards are far and few between. (Enough with the cliches already. I'm stopping now).

View My Gallery
Old 06-26-2006, 03:20 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have been a fan of Stampington magazines (Take Ten, Stamper's Sampler & others ...). I see that even the "simple" cards are getting "artsy". Can someone explain to me what is up with the DUNCE caps on the children & wings & dunce caps? If I see one more child (like a 1920's pix) with a dunce cap & wings I'm going to puke! Sorry .... got a little excited there.

I recently had 3 cards published in Take Ten. They were not (IMO) my best cards, but they were easier cards, and since they don't return them ... I wasn't going to send something I wouldn't get back.

They don't take 10 minutes UNLESS you have everything within reach. And even when we do M&T's at our SU! demo meetings, they take longer than 10 minutes (with everything already cut etc.).

Anyway, I do like the magazines. They reflect the trends in stamping.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:58 PM   #23  
Forum Fanatic

Some of the Stampinton Cards, do have that dark side. They feel like they are from an era of Dark Ages/The Plague....dunce caps alone, just do me in...Do not care for it myself. I hope they move on from that.

I do, however, like the artsy, creative feel of the magazine, and the fact that it is different from the norm...

I agree that simple cards, are not always the easiest cards to create....Simple with a statement, can be harder than adding little matching odds and ends...and filling the card up with "stuff".

And 10 minutes, no way....
Old 06-26-2006, 04:08 PM   #24  
Kookie Creator

I love your gallery. The Take Ten is beautiful. I don't ever remember making any art project, excluding ATCs, in ten minutes.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:13 PM   #25  
Watercolor Wizard

I submitted two cards that really truly took me ten minutes or less....they published them both....
BUT when I saw the other cards that they had published they made my "simple cards in ten minutes or less" look a little low key....Oh well, I was still proud of them and I still like the designs because they are eyecatching as well as QUICK to make!
But I have to agree with the OP....so many of the cards are not ten minute cards....
Old 06-26-2006, 05:19 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've pretty much decided no more Take Tens. They've just gone too far away from the original premise, which is what I liked about it in the first place! I could have kept my Somerset subscription if I wanted to continue with that genre. Blech. Been there, done that. I like simple, clean, "Julie-like" and "Keri-like"!!
Old 06-26-2006, 05:58 PM   #27  
Watercolor Wizard

Betsy you make me blush...to be mentioned in the same sentence with Julie is an honor
Old 06-27-2006, 06:51 PM   #28  
Mad Swapper

Thumbs up I hear ya, Julie!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
Ditto!

Nodding my head in agreement here, Julie! Take Ten is definitely drifting a bit from where they started. I submitted 15 cards for the last magazine and not a one of 'em got published! They were all clean, simple designs ... I was rather deflated when I found out that not a single, solitary card made the cut.

I enjoy looking at artsy creations ... admiring them ... I just don't stamp that way! Guess I'll stick to submitting my designs to publications that are more in line with my style.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:28 AM   #29  
Glitter Guru

I was a little disappointed when I had sent in about 25 cards,and I had 5 sent back to me from stampingtong and company for the stampers sampler issue.then the take ten got about 5 cards.nothing there I called.they told me no I would of gotten a blue card in the mail if they were published.I showed these cards to people and they said if they don't make it something is wrong with these people.They are beautiful.and they were nice.

Well I still have some more cards for another magazine that I sent to them and stilll haven't heard about it it was for a challege they do every issue.changing colors It was for.I used the long time friend stamp set and colored it 4 differant shades I did 8 of these 4 differant colors in the watering can and 4 in the basket with planters.I thought they came out so pretty.If I knew then what I now I would of never sent them.I know they donate them later but I guess I should of made a second copy on these.it took me about 45 minutes to do all 4 of them.for each image.so I didn't think that was all that bad for time.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:18 AM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

I never cease to be amazed at this company's ability to make a killing on people's desire to see their work in print! I'm sure they'll come up with another 'new' publication any time now to use up the rest of their leftovers -- and charge $15 for it, too. I've refused to buy *any* of their stuff for years now, just on GP.

Happy trails....

Sue
Old 06-28-2006, 08:16 AM   #31  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by scpd
I never cease to be amazed at this company's ability to make a killing on people's desire to see their work in print!
Touché!
Old 06-28-2006, 08:50 AM   #32  
Kookie Creator

isn't the fact that there are hundreds of thousands of our cards posted on this website proof that a part of all of us likes to see our work in print? ...just a thought.

For You have delivered my soul from death, My eyes from tears, And my feet from falling. Psalm 116:8

my blog http://wwwfeedingmysoul.blogspot.com/
Old 06-28-2006, 09:06 AM   #33  
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

I recieved a comment from the original creator of my CASEd Take Ten card and when she explained to me the way the card was intended to be put together it sounded MUCH easier, also, had I had the 2 punches she used it would have at least knocked it down to a 30 minute card (for me). She also told me that they changed her directions so it sounded more confusing than it really was. Oh well, next time...

Looking through this issue of Take Ten again today I see a handful that might take 10 miutes but NO WAY less
Oh, the weird kids with wings and dunce caps are freaky!

I do LOVE that there is basically nothing but cards on 139 pages with no ads and clutter.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:16 AM   #34  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpmayo
Oh, the weird kids with wings and dunce caps are freaky!
See, now I kinda like that stuff, BUT, it's something I might try only once.

Personally speaking, what I find annoying, is the "overkill" on any one particular thing, UKWIM? As in "multitudes" of the same thing over and over. 1-2 samples of it, GREAT! But, if they feature more than that, I just lose interest . . . But, that's just me.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:34 PM   #35  
Hardware Hotshot

I agree, so much. What really irked me in the last issue was the pages and pages they had of the same layout. Enough already !!
Old 06-28-2006, 01:38 PM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by mastamper
Maybe this explains why I am liking Take Ten less and less since I recently discovered it! I don't mind looking at the more artsy cards once in a while, but I get tired of that look very quickly.
I wish they would go back towards the more clean and uncluttered designs!! (I almost said simple and clean, but I think it's actually more difficult to create a well-made card without all the frou-frou's. I guess simple does not necessarily mean "easy" to me.)

I'm with you in your thinking. I have every TT they ever published and liked the earlier versions much better than the newer ones. Some of this new stuff is kind of bizarre and more collage than the simpler stamped works I enjoyed so much. Plus some of those complicated cards are definitely longer than 10 minutes from start to finish.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:53 PM   #37  
Hardware Hotshot

ok so I vote for JulieHRR to make her own magazine - her style is what I love!!!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you’ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Old 06-28-2006, 02:54 PM   #38  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by scpd
I never cease to be amazed at this company's ability to make a killing on people's desire to see their work in print! I'm sure they'll come up with another 'new' publication any time now to use up the rest of their leftovers -- and charge $15 for it, too. I've refused to buy *any* of their stuff for years now, just on GP.

Happy trails....

Sue
that made me laugh! yeah, I want to see my name in print ... anywhere except the FBI most wanted list!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you’ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Old 06-28-2006, 03:13 PM   #39  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

I never cease to be amazed at this company's ability to make a killing on people's desire to see their work in print!
Actually, if one of your cards is in the magazine you are sent a complimentary copy.

Glenda
Old 06-28-2006, 03:18 PM   #40  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenda s
Actually, if one of your cards is in the magazine you are sent a complimentary copy.

Glenda
Very small price to pay when you have thousands of crafters across the country busting their humps and sending in dozens of cards a month/year. The sheer volume of the submissions, and the experience, effort, and skill that went into each one must be pretty stunning! I agree, Stampington is making a killing!