Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-27-2007, 01:27 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Talking TAC or SU????

I am stumped. I have been thinking about resigning with SU now for a while and this quarter I doubt I will be able to make my minimums so I have been looking at other companies and found TAC. I really love their stuff but I am not sure I want to make the switch.

So TAC fans tell me why I should and SU fans tell me why I shouldn't!

TIA for all of your help, it really hurts sitting on this fence! :0)

My avatar is my hubby and my girls at Santa Cruz beach.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-27-2007, 01:34 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Big no for me is the lack of coordinated inks and paper, but if TAC happened to come up with some, then I think they would be a better value. Unmounted stamps are a big hit because of the cost. The HO with TAC is very good, and from what I heard so is SU. But if you can't make minimums, then really you should change.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:37 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

For me personally, I signed up with TAC four years ago because I knew I could "handle" the minimum of $100 every 4 months. I've only once (when we moved) had to buy my own workshop to meet the quota - and so even then, I was really only spending $75. Back then I liked about a 1/3 of the images and I can say I like 2/3 these days. It'll always go in waves, I'm sure but as long as you find something you like...that's good. The nice thing, too, with the lower cost of images is that I can "justify" my other purchases. Although I must admit, you do get spoiled by our prices. I also stay out of hot water with DH.

That being said, there are still some must have items for me from SU! And, honestly, Botanicals is probably one of my all time favorite stamp sets around.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:39 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I personally love SU, as mentioned the matching is`huge with me. I think that if you know you will have trouble with minimums then try TAC. What do you have to lose? You can still buy SU and if you decide that it's not for you then you drop! Good luck whichever way you go!
Old 04-27-2007, 01:43 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

Ah, but things *do* coordinate. It's amazing how the TAC paper coordinates with the DCWV paper and Palette ink line! You just have to get the list from the other demos or make the decisions on your own. It's not spelled out for you A + B = C. I personally LOVE that kind of creativity opportunity.

Other reasons?
*Unmounted stamps--but still high quality RUBBER!
*less storage space needed
*lower cost
*lower minimums
*less market saturation
*smaller company means you're "somebody" within the company--they actually know me, even Mischelle!
*opportunity to get in on the "ground floor", so to speak--at least early in Co. history
*April special means another $61 in free stamps added to the starter kit

Now that I've said all that, I would say wait until our newsletter comes out. We've known there would be a new compensation plan coming and (I) expected it would be revealed at Seminar in June. Our company updates today just told us that it will be in the upcoming newsletter. So...if you like what you see, go for it!
TAC Demonstrator #1484/Manager, Smilin' Stampers
My TAC Site My BLOG
Old 04-27-2007, 01:48 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I've never been one to have to my inks, paper, and markers coordinate exactly. Doesn't matter much to me. I may do a little color comparison at Hobby Lobby, but that's about the extent of it.

I would say the biggest thing for you to get used to is that the stamps don't come with wood blocks like SU. That's fine for me, because I've done the big switch to unmounted on EZ Mount.

Other than that, the quality of SU and TAC is the same as far as I can tell. Even though I am a TAC hobby angel, I still buy SU stamps and anything else that piques my interest.

So... Ditto to what dianerh said.

Kimberly
Old 04-27-2007, 01:54 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Actually, no they do not coordinate. When we are talking coordinate, we mean paper that is the same color as the markers which are the same colors as the ink or very close.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:23 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

Kathy,

Just want to let you know that I am sitting on that same fence with ya. I've been a SU demo for 2 years now and am seriously thinking about becoming a TAC demo. It's really now down to not "if" but "when" for me lol. Order some stuff and see what you think. I am very happy with the quality of their stamps etc.

(yes, I've got a demo I'm working with, please don't pm me lol)

Susan

Old 04-27-2007, 02:34 PM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Personally- if you were meeting SU minimums as a hobby demo (couldn't tell if you were a business demo or a hobby one) you will be able to meet TAC minimums AND have money left to spend on TAC. The minimum is $100 every 4-months (not a quarter). That's $25 a month- it's nothing!

I know very few (at least compared to the SU ones I know) TAC demos who are TAC exclusive stampers.

I adore TAC stamps because they take up so little storage space, are good quality RUBBER, and tend to be less expensive. TAC has great scrapbooking paper and I like DCWV for cards- but I still use SU paper. I have SU inks, so I use them, but the Palette line that TAC carries is awesome. TAC is also very relaxed- if you don't meet your minimums, as long as you look like your trying- they let it go.

The only major downside is I think our "Angels only" resources pale in comparision to what SU provides its demos.

I would wait a few days before you make your decison though, because TAC is about to announce a new compensation plan- we are all wondering what it might be!
Old 04-27-2007, 02:48 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

You guys are so awesome! I am waiting until I get paid on the 15th of May to decide what I want to do. I love SU paper but I can buy that from one of my friends. I really like what I see in the catty that Rita was so generous to send to me, she even sent me a couple of stamps to try! I guess my biggest concern is support. I know that on the SU website I can get patterns and design ideas and the meetings I do get the chance to attend have wonderful ideas. I think I am afraid to give all that up, but maybe TAC does the same???

I have one leg over the fence but I haven't jumped yet! LOL

Old 04-27-2007, 03:05 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Smile

Hi.....
I just made the switch and it is the best decision that I have made in a long time. I feel more relaxed and actually enjoy stamping again. The area where I live has no TAC demos....so I am able to share a "new world" with my friends and it is catching on like a wildfire. There is a lot of interest, I don't foresee making my minimums a problem.....I could do it myself with a trip to Archiver's.....The Home Office is awesome!! They are so friendly and informative. The demo website has projects and samples AND I still have the gallery here so I haven't felt like I'm out on my own.
I think when I demo'd SU I felt disloyal if I tried anything else.....I seem to have a little more $$ to play with now......I will keep most of the SU stamps that I have and probably convert them over to unmounted....I really like the space issue and the percision of being able to see where I am placing the image. (I'm over that hill)
Good luck with whatever decision you make!!
Vicky~~
Old 04-27-2007, 03:22 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougswife
Hi.....
I just made the switch and it is the best decision that I have made in a long time. I feel more relaxed and actually enjoy stamping again. The area where I live has no TAC demos....so I am able to share a "new world" with my friends and it is catching on like a wildfire. There is a lot of interest, I don't foresee making my minimums a problem.....I could do it myself with a trip to Archiver's.....The Home Office is awesome!! They are so friendly and informative. The demo website has projects and samples AND I still have the gallery here so I haven't felt like I'm out on my own.
I think when I demo'd SU I felt disloyal if I tried anything else.....I seem to have a little more $$ to play with now......I will keep most of the SU stamps that I have and probably convert them over to unmounted....I really like the space issue and the percision of being able to see where I am placing the image. (I'm over that hill)
Good luck with whatever decision you make!!
Vicky~~

Vicky,

I agree with the feeling disloyal part of it! I always felt like if I bought that beautiful paper I saw at LSS and used it with my SU stuff it might burst into flames or something! ha ha

Old 04-27-2007, 03:28 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

The main reason I joined TAC is that my area is saturated with SU demos, and the closest TAC demo was an hour away. I love that there is NO PRESSURE from the HO to do more than you want to. I still use SU inks and papers, even in my classes. My SU-demo-friend is usually there, so we sell both products at classes. I am doing my first funshop on Sunday, and I've been a demo since August. I have NEVER had a problem meeting my minimums! I do hope that TAC releases some truly coordinating inks and cardstocks with the next catalog. I know that the inks match the DCWV cardstock, but I like the ease of matching that SU has. I love, love, love being an angel! Best of luck with your decision.
"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Mt. 6:21

Old 04-27-2007, 03:40 PM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

How do you sign up with TAC? I'm a hobby demo for SU and thinking of dropping I'm active until the end of June but not planning on any workshops or retirement parties so I don't want to buy another $300 of stuff. I know I can easily meet the minumum fot TAC ~~ thanks~~
Old 04-27-2007, 03:44 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

All you need to do is contact a demonstrator. fill out your paperwork, and send it in. It's that easy!!
Sandy
www.stampsandy.blogspot.com
Old 04-27-2007, 04:06 PM   #16  
Embossing Fanatic

~~ thanks~ I've been thinking of this for awhile, I know I have to wait until I drop as an SU demo~ Do you get a discount as an angel?
Old 04-27-2007, 04:10 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

A word to the wise, no evey TAC Demo is a working demo, some are hobby demos and will not have the support you may need if you want to be a *working* demo.

Pick who you sign up under carefully, so you are fully supported in your needs!

There is a wealth of information at your fingertips on ASB
www.ashadeofblue.net Not eveyone there is a TAC demo, we are just a happy stamping family, but many managers and up-lines are on the site and will answer all your questions.

I am a SU user also but *LOVE* Palette inks! TAC Rubber is a superior quality and supplies or afforable.

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Old 04-27-2007, 04:13 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carolanns2
~~ thanks~ I've been thinking of this for awhile, I know I have to wait until I drop as an SU demo~ Do you get a discount as an angel?
You do (for right now, as several mentioned, our compensation package is up in the air) but many of us just order as a customer and then take the commission as our "discount" per se. When you order as a customer you get the freebies that come with an order or workshop...and, you get sales credit.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:22 PM   #19  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks for your help
Old 04-27-2007, 06:06 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

What is the commission on a customer sale and is it instant income or do you get a check from TAC?

Old 04-27-2007, 06:10 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kkrenn
What is the commission on a customer sale and is it instant income or do you get a check from TAC?
25% and you receive a check twice a month. I like getting a check in the mail so that I can SEE what I've earned.

Kimberly
Old 04-27-2007, 06:21 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Cool, thanks for the info. Now if you place an order on the demo side to get the 30% off is that instant?

Old 04-27-2007, 06:43 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Hmmmm... I don't know! I've never placed a demo order. (Demo orders don't count towards your quarterly minimum.)

Kimberly
Old 04-27-2007, 06:46 PM   #24  
Crimping Master

Yes, the 30% is instant, but it doesn't count toward staying active or toward "career" points--for getting promotions, etc. The $100/every 4 months to stay active is RETAIL sales.

Again, though...we're anxiously awaiting the new compensation plan....
My TAC Site My BLOG
Old 04-27-2007, 06:48 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

I think with the popularity of unmounted growing by leaps and bounds and SU's adamant statements that they will never go unmounted, there is gold to be mined here!
Old 04-27-2007, 06:57 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

STAMPIN UP has GREAT exclusive products!!! I LOVE the CARDSTOCK!! (here's my new shirt 'GOT CARDSTOCK?') LOL!

I think TAC carries BAZZILL CS--which is very nice stuff...but I just recently discovered HOW INCREDIBLY FABULOUS SU CS is!

I bought some stamps at an Angel Co Party...I'm not so crazy about acrylic mount--I haven't even used the stamps yet. I'm a WOOD MOUNT GAL--I think every single rubber stamp should have their own piece of wood!
Old 04-27-2007, 07:01 PM   #27  
Vee
Hardware Hotshot

Choose a few addresses in your area. plug them into the demo locator on SU! record how many different demo names you get on the expanded list of 10 per address. You will see how saturated your area is. I would change myself, but I have been a SU! demo over 4 years and have thousands of dollars in stuff! We have over 30 SU demos in my county and not a single TAC
Old 04-27-2007, 07:03 PM   #28  
Mad Swapper

I'm glad I came across this post because I have been on the fence about this too. I am definately dropping my demoship after this quarter because I have no more interested customers and I can't make my minimums on my own. I have been thinking of becoming a TAC demo but have decided on waiting to make that decision. For now I will just enjoy using my purchases. I guess I'll wait until after the new catty comes out and the new plan.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:15 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ladies what does TAC stand for...where can I get more information on this company. I am considering a change.
Thanks!
Old 04-27-2007, 11:19 PM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

It stands for The Angel Company and if you google them you can find out more about them.

Old 04-28-2007, 03:14 AM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchick
Ladies what does TAC stand for...where can I get more information on this company. I am considering a change.
Thanks!
Amber,

TAC's website is www.theangelcompany.net

There's a lot of info there on the products as well as some samples. There's a link on the top right that says something like "shop now". If you open that and type in your zip code it'll give you a list of angels in your area who have purchased a website through TAC. You can view the catalog online through their sites. You can also view the spring and fall supplements from the TAC homepage.

Please feel free to pm any of us angels. We're glad to answer any questions you might have.
"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Mt. 6:21

Old 04-28-2007, 04:55 AM   #32  
Glitter Guru

Well if you need to stalk up on supplies like the differant inks, and accessories. Then you shouldn' have any problems with getting them they have so much to buy in that end of the catalog. The prices are also very low on thier stamps esspecially if you are going unmounted. you can buy a ton for the price. and you get a lot esspecially with the sentiments. The nice thing is for anyone spending $30.00 or more they get a free stamp set. SO make sure when or if you sign up let the customers know. then they'll be more apt to spending at least $30.00 . Think if 3 people spend that theres only $10.00 more to get your first quarter. How easy is that.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:08 AM   #33  
Glitter Guru

Just curious is the minimum going to go up now that they have 2 caddys coming out or is that going to stay the same. Also how much money do you have to make before you consider this as a business rather than a hobbist to file for taxes. Do you have to make over a certain amount. can you sign up as a hobbist without using this for taxes. I want to stay away from the filing part of it if I can. Is there a way out of it.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:11 AM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa62
The nice thing is for anyone spending $30.00 or more they get a free stamp set. SO make sure when or if you sign up let the customers know. then they'll be more apt to spending at least $30.00 .
Just to point out that it isn't a stamp set, but a single stamp. (Well, I guess some of the Gift With Purchase (GWP) stamps are tiny sets.) The GWP is only available if you order through an Angel, not through the eCommerce websites.
Kimberly
Old 04-28-2007, 06:12 AM   #35  
Crimping Master

Lisa62--You can sign up as a hobbyist, but there's not a different "level" at this point (I say "at this point" because we don't know what the new plan has for us yet!). It's an even playing field, and you just decide whether you want to be a hobbyist or go for it as a business.

As far as taxes go, that depends on how much you end up selling/making in commissions. THAT is what determins whether you report it or not. I forget the amount (since I'm in in for the business), but TAC does not send you a 1099 if you made less than X amount of dollars. Look out though! I know several "hobbyists" who ended up having to take care of taxes because once their friends knew they sold TAC, the friends kept buying stuff!! The "hobbyist" ended up selling way more than she anticipated, but didn't even really have to work at it! TAC just sells itself--especially since most areas are not already saturated and it's new to a lot of people.
My TAC Site My BLOG
Old 04-28-2007, 06:27 AM   #36  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa Loiselle
Amber,

TAC's website is www.theangelcompany.net

There's a lot of info there on the products as well as some samples. There's a link on the top right that says something like "shop now". If you open that and type in your zip code it'll give you a list of angels in your area who have purchased a website through TAC. You can view the catalog online through their sites. You can also view the spring and fall supplements from the TAC homepage.

Please feel free to pm any of us angels. We're glad to answer any questions you might have.

This is what I did and I sent an email to the one and only demo listed in my area and she STILL has not gotten back to me! It has been almost 2 weeks! I received more info from people here than I did trying to contact an Angel from their website. Hopefully you will find one in your area that is still selling so that she can help you!

Old 04-28-2007, 06:37 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'd love to do it but I can't afford it right now. I have an SCS'r that sent me the paperwork but if I ever get money ahead, I'll have to get her to send me another one. I know I can meet those minimums. But I worry that I'm not creative enough, or talented enough to host a workshop. I'm always one that looks at my cards and goes "yuk" and I'm not that good at CASEing a card.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:46 AM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

This is what I did and I sent an email to the one and only demo listed in my area and she STILL has not gotten back to me! It has been almost 2 weeks! I received more info from people here than I did trying to contact an Angel from their website. Hopefully you will find one in your area that is still selling so that she can help you!
It would be better to call the main office to try to find a demo close to you (785)820-9181. The only demo's that show up on the Angel locator via TAC website are the ones that are subscribing to ecommerce (have their own website thru TAC). Not all angels do this. Hope you hear from someone in your area soon.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:26 AM   #39  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

i am having the same problem i did a show with tac in march and she was horrible. she even brought one of her friends to the show with her without talking to me first. then i found another one about 20 miles away. I emailed her and she wont email me back. im having nothing but trouble with every demo i have contacted so far. I to have learned more here just reading all of your posts then i did from anywhere else. i really am thinking about selling tac, a really good friend of mine sells su and she lives 5 minutes from me so now we would have the best of both worlds. but i cant find anyone to help me. any suggestions
Old 04-28-2007, 07:28 AM   #40  
Polyshrink Goddess

thanks crazy crafter i saw your post after i posted i will try to call the home office