Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-02-2006, 08:53 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Question TAC question!

OK, so I got some TAC stamps (really neat set of lighthouses), which I haven't gotten to play with, but looking forward to. I'm debating on whether to mount them using the EZ mount, OOOOOOR, I read somewhere that some folks just put double sided sticky tape on their blocks or Aleene's TIOO, and just slap the rubber directly on their, no cushion at all.

What are your thoughts, UM lovers? Is this a good way to go, or do you recommend stickin' with the EZ mount?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-02-2006, 08:56 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

I think it is a matter or personal preference. I love using the stamps with the EZ mount. Try it and see what you like.
Sandy
www.stampsandy.blogspot.com
Old 09-02-2006, 09:10 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

When I did UM, I used the ds tape but my stamps had cushion on them. I think you get a better image when you use cushion.

V
Old 09-02-2006, 09:10 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Julie, I NEVER use the foam. I just slap those puppies on the acrylic block and have at it. The foam is not necessary when you use acrylic. It's purpose is to correct the nearly invisible flaws in wood mounts, so you get even pressure. Acrylic does not have those flaws, so the foam is not needed. Only once in a blue moon have I come across a stamp that needs foam....save yer money for more stamps!
Old 09-02-2006, 09:13 AM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

I kinda like the EZ Mount cushion. It gives it more of a wood block feel when you stamp.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2006, 09:14 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

I just like the feel of the foam. Guess I'm a nut case! I don't know if I could let my rubber be naked. I like it to have cusion.

Robyn

My Gallery
Old 09-02-2006, 09:18 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Great question Julie....I have some TAC and CTMH stamps and the CTMH are acylic so they go directly to the block..I kinda like that. The TAC's have foam mounts on them (bought used) and I like it fine too. I guess when I get new TAC stamps I will use double stick tape (reg tape) just to see if I like the image and feel that way.

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken
Old 09-02-2006, 09:20 AM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

I would stamp with the foam. I've never tried rubber without foam, but I've used acrylic stamps without foam and really didn't like it.

You could always try them without it, and then if you don't like the feel put the foam on later- since TAC stamps come with cushion, you don't have to go buy it.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:21 AM   #9  
Ross' Island Lobster

I personally like using the EZ mount..guess I'm just more comfortable with a little cushion. Let us know what you try out!!!
Old 09-02-2006, 09:26 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

I love the creative cling that comes with it! I love it so much that I even unmounted ALL of my individual stamps and Stampin Up sets onto it! I just ordered a ton extra from TAC.
Faerey Blog
Old 09-02-2006, 09:31 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

I always use the foam because I'm too nervous to try anything else , but I was at a rubber stamp convention a couple of weeks ago and I heard comments by a lot of people in booths from companies that sell unmounted stamps that they don't use anything because things have a tendency to rock with the foam. I do find this to be true, especially with words. It's really easy to undercut the foam with the small stamps or words and then you have a big rocking problem.

In case I should get brave, what's Aleene's TIOO??
Old 09-02-2006, 09:31 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Default Use the cling

I've done both, but always end up mounting my stamps on the cling. If I'm in a huge rush to use a stamp, that's when I tend to slap on some 2x tape. Overall, though, I prefer it with the cling.

You won't know until you try. I'd recommend cutting one stamp out, leaving plenty of room for easy trimming later, slap some tape on, stamp a few images, then mount and trim on the EZ mount, stamp some more images. See which way you prefer, because its easy to pull the rubber off the foam.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:33 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ
Julie, I NEVER use the foam. I just slap those puppies on the acrylic block and have at it. The foam is not necessary when you use acrylic. It's purpose is to correct the nearly invisible flaws in wood mounts, so you get even pressure. Acrylic does not have those flaws, so the foam is not needed. Only once in a blue moon have I come across a stamp that needs foam....save yer money for more stamps!
Aaaaaah. I see what you mean, Betsy! What do you use to tack the rubbah to the block? DSS tape or . . . ?

If I can get away without the step of adding on the foam, and get good impressions, well, you know me . . . Hah!
Old 09-02-2006, 09:35 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonicaA
I always use the foam because I'm too nervous to try anything else , but I was at a rubber stamp convention a couple of weeks ago and I heard comments by a lot of people in booths from companies that sell unmounted stamps that they don't use anything because things have a tendency to rock with the foam. I do find this to be true, especially with words. It's really easy to undercut the foam with the small stamps or words and then you have a big rocking problem.

In case I should get brave, what's Aleene's TIOO??
Its Aleene's Tac It Over and Over glue. You apply it to the rubber, let it dry completely and it becomes a tacky so you can use it over and over again. Personally, I don't like it. I have a big bottle, but find it is too tacky most of the time. I've had to spread it very thin with a paint brush (ruined the brush, so use and old one!), let it dry, then slap all the stamps tacky side on my jeans/sweater to pick up some lint. That way its not too tacky. Like I said, I don't like it but others do. I'd see if you could borrow some to try before investing in a bottle, although its only about $4 and Michael's does carry it. HTH
Old 09-02-2006, 09:40 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
Aaaaaah. I see what you mean, Betsy! What do you use to tack the rubbah to the block? DSS tape or . . . ?

If I can get away without the step of adding on the foam, and get good impressions, well, you know me . . . Hah!
I got a slew of stamps in a grab bag with no foam and I've never gotten around to mounting them. When I want to use one, I use double sided tape or double sided poster tape on the block. The tape stays on the block and when its no longer tacky, I just peel if off and add another piece of tape. The poster tape is a little less sticky and thicker, so it comes off the blocks better.

I do have a friend who only uses her UM this way. She just stores all the stamps in a plastic zippered envelope so they don't fall out.

HTH
Old 09-02-2006, 09:43 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palapala
Its Aleene's Tac It Over and Over glue. You apply it to the rubber, let it dry completely and it becomes a tacky so you can use it over and over again. Personally, I don't like it. I have a big bottle, but find it is too tacky most of the time. I've had to spread it very thin with a paint brush (ruined the brush, so use and old one!), let it dry, then slap all the stamps tacky side on my jeans/sweater to pick up some lint. That way its not too tacky. Like I said, I don't like it but others do. I'd see if you could borrow some to try before investing in a bottle, although its only about $4 and Michael's does carry it. HTH
Well, Julie =

It didn't occur to me to put the DSS on the RUBBAH.

I was sitting here trying to figure out what to do if I put it on the acrylic blocks and then if I changed my mind, how I was gonna get it off without a lot of work . . .

Old 09-02-2006, 09:44 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

I got a slew of stamps in a grab bag with no foam and I've never gotten around to mounting them. When I want to use one, I use double sided tape or double sided poster tape on the block. The tape stays on the block and when its no longer tacky, I just peel if off and add another piece of tape. The poster tape is a little less sticky and thicker, so it comes off the blocks better.

I do have a friend who only uses her UM this way. She just stores all the stamps in a plastic zippered envelope so they don't fall out.

HTH
I only have one set of blocks, and also need to be able to use them with the clear polymer stamps I have. . .

hmmmmmmmm.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:53 AM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I only have one set of blocks, and also need to be able to use them with the clear polymer stamps I have. . .

hmmmmmmmm.
Oh, that's really easy. Just pull the piece of tape off the block. I just tend to slap the tape on the block vs on the rubbah. And to be honest, sometimes the tape sticks to the block, sometimes to the rubbah. Plus, you could just turn the block over if you are doing a lot of stamping with both types. One strip of tape across the block shouldn't to anything to your hand while stamping with the clear stamps on the other side. KWIM? And I always take the tape off when I'm done for the day otherwise it winds up covered in black kitty hair and I have to pull it off and start over again anyways. LOL
Old 09-02-2006, 09:53 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

If you use ds tape on the block I guess we could flip it over and use the other side for other type of stamps??

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken
Old 09-02-2006, 09:55 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

And by the way....the lighthouse set rocks, Julie....I use it all the time to make stuff for my mom!
Faerey Blog
Old 09-02-2006, 10:01 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Oh, that's really easy. Just pull the piece of tape off the block. I just tend to slap the tape on the block vs on the rubbah. And to be honest, sometimes the tape sticks to the block, sometimes to the rubbah. Plus, you could just turn the block over if you are doing a lot of stamping with both types. One strip of tape across the block shouldn't to anything to your hand while stamping with the clear stamps on the other side. KWIM? And I always take the tape off when I'm done for the day otherwise it winds up covered in black kitty hair and I have to pull it off and start over again anyways. LOL
OK, cool. I'm gonna give this a try! Thanks for all the help!
Old 09-02-2006, 10:03 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

ok the stamps I bought online from addictedtorubberstamps...they are called see-D's.....they are rubber, unmounted and stick to an acrylic block with no cush....they do have something sticky on the back of them and they peel off and stick over and over. I use the same clear blocks for those and for the clear stamps.

Old 09-02-2006, 10:03 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faereygirl
And by the way....the lighthouse set rocks, Julie....I use it all the time to make stuff for my mom!
I was soooo intrigued by it--just very unique art style! Funky/fun! How could I not get it, living here, right?!

Have you uploaded any samples with it? I would love to see them!
Old 09-02-2006, 10:04 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Julie, I had that exact set of TAC stamps (if they are the realistic lighthouses, not the other set) and had a very hard time getting a crisp image. I'm not sure what the problem was so I sold them. I recommend experimenting with just one of them to figure out the best way to get a good image. It may just have been my stamping style or the set I had, but I was quite frustrated. I have not had this experience with the other TAC stamp I have and I use the ez mount with the acrylic block combo.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:06 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorinda
ok the stamps I bought online from addictedtorubberstamps...they are called see-D's.....they are rubber, unmounted and stick to an acrylic block with no cush....they do have something sticky on the back of them and they peel off and stick over and over. I use the same clear blocks for those and for the clear stamps.
Cool! TFS that!

I may need to replace some of my acrylc mounts; I dropped them on the floor and they are shattering internally . . . I'm trying to work with 'em as is, but I just cannot stand that shattering inside and with my old eyes, it does hinder the visibility . . .
Old 09-02-2006, 10:09 AM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

No I havent uploaded anything...I usually make the card and give it to my mom or...coasters....or the candles I made....she's a lighthouse nut. I never even thought to upload them!
Faerey Blog
Old 09-02-2006, 12:42 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Julie, I see somebody already answered. I do use the poster tape, and just flip the block over to use polymer stamps. It's never been a problem for me.

The main reason I went with no foam is the expense. Plain rubber is SO cheap....having to then purchase the cling foam takes away from the savings. I am way too cheap to do that!
Old 09-02-2006, 01:03 PM   #28  
Gabfest Goddess

Julie,
I love TAC stamps too! I use the ez mount and acrylic blocks but you can slap it righ on the block without it. I do that to, if I'm in a hurry and it works just as well!
Can't wait to see what you do that lighthouse! I'm sure it will be gorgeous!
Gina K.

Be polite to those who are rude to you. Not because they are nice, but because you are.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:17 PM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Julie,

Restickable Glue Stick by Scotch! Rub it on the back of the rubber, like a post-it-note for your acrylic blocks!

The only way to stamp, you can *feel* the rubber!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Old 09-02-2006, 06:23 PM   #30  
Stampin' Fool

I use TIOO. If you don't like it, it will wash off and then use the creative cling that comes with it.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:35 AM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

The main reason I went with no foam is the expense. Plain rubber is SO cheap....having to then purchase the cling foam takes away from the savings. I am way too cheap to do that!
If the stamps are from TAC, each set comes will enough EZ cling to mount them, No added expense there. When I mount my sets on the EZ cling, I cut the image out first, adhere to the EZ cling, then cut the cling. That way I can cut "close" to the image itself, and as a bonus I have some EZ cling let over.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:40 AM   #32  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

I have unmounted Aspects of Design stamps. On a craft show on TV over here in the UK, they tell you to put it onto the block with a dry glue stick and then just wash the stamp and block in warm soapy water when you are finished. This is what I do and it works fine, but I do have a stamping pad which is a piece of thick foam that goes underneath your cardstock when you stamp and it gives you the give that you get from wood mounted stamps.

Old 09-03-2006, 07:54 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Okay, I'm jumping in to this discussion! Use the EZ cling...you have to cut the rubber images out anyways...so you slap it on and cut. I've had mine for 4 years and they still stick wonderfully. But they STICK with out stickiness, if you know what I mean!?!? No dust, dog/cat hair, etc...gets stuck to it that way. I also like to feel a little cushion because when I stamp rubber against a block...it just feels too darn close to the paper for my taste...
Old 09-03-2006, 09:07 AM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

I'd mount them with the cling too. I also like to index the TAC stamps on top of the cling. I have a set of the SeeDs, but I find I need to stamp on top of a sheet of craft foam to get a good impression, because they're nekkid rubber, no cushion.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:17 AM   #35  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by kphorse
Julie,

Restickable Glue Stick by Scotch! Rub it on the back of the rubber, like a post-it-note for your acrylic blocks!

The only way to stamp, you can *feel* the rubber!
GET OUT!!! That really works??? I actually have some of that!
Old 09-03-2006, 09:19 AM   #36  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

BTW, I was at Wally World last night, picking up school supplies, and could NOT find "poster" tape that someone mentioned. Of course, they are revamping our WM, and it's a disaster zone right now. But, I couldn't find the poster tape anywhere where the tape was.

Is there some other area I should be looking?
Old 09-03-2006, 09:47 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Julie, I've gotten my poster tape at Office Depot. Any repositionable glue will do the trick, though.

I didn't realize the EZ Foam came with the TAC stamps. That's cool! I think most of my um stamps are from before TAC was around. I think, for the most part, though, I like the "nekkidness" UNLESS the stamps are very thinly etched. I have bought some like that and always make a note to NEVER buy from that company again, lol. I have some that are literally paper-thin, and those are difficult to stamp without cushioning.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:49 AM   #38  
Stampin' Fool

I was just reading through this thread and I have a few stupid questions.
I have some clear stamps from Anna Griffin and I think Sassafrass. Sometimes I have a hard time getting a clear image especially with Anna's stamps.
So what is this EZ mount you talk about? I have never heard of it. Does it go between the stamp and the block?
I just bought 3 different clear&clear blocks.
I may try using foam underneath the cardstock like someone mentioned and see if that help.

Also I ordered some stamps from Las Vegas stamps and I got them unmounted becuase it was cheaper. I put some Aleenes tack it over and over on the back of them and put them on stiff plastic then in a binder and did the same with the others. I think that seems to work well although I haven't had much time to play with them. So I will be anxious to see how the image comes out without a pad in there.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:51 AM   #39  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Julie, I've gotten my poster tape at Office Depot. Any repositionable glue will do the trick, though.
Cool! Thanks, Betsy!

Quote:

I didn't realize the EZ Foam came with the TAC stamps. That's cool! I think most of my um stamps are from before TAC was around. I think, for the most part, though, I like the "nekkidness" UNLESS the stamps are very thinly etched. I have bought some like that and always make a note to NEVER buy from that company again, lol. I have some that are literally paper-thin, and those are difficult to stamp without cushioning.
Oh, man, in my early days I bought UMs in the rubber pits at conventions, like at Puyallup's Heirloom Productions shows . . . because they were so thin, I just hated working with them.

You're right about that: ain't nothin' like deeply etched ruby red.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:01 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by phunkymama
I'd mount them with the cling too. I also like to index the TAC stamps on top of the cling. I have a set of the SeeDs, but I find I need to stamp on top of a sheet of craft foam to get a good impression, because they're nekkid rubber, no cushion.
Yep, I usually stamp on a magazine or a mouse pad...opposite of with my cushy wood mounts