Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-06-2008, 09:34 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Swaps

I have been participating in some card swaps lately. I was wondering, what do you with the cards you receive? I am afraid that I am "cheating" if I give away someone else's card. Do you have any thoughts or feelings on this?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2008, 11:02 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

My demo just sent me a card that she received in a swap. She wrote me a little note and then let me know that the card was not one that she had made herself but had received in a swap. I thought it was really nice and I was not offended that she hadn't made it herself. I think as long as you let the receiver know that it was not one of your creations and don't put your stamp on the back it is fine to send the card out for others to enjoy as well. Just my thoughts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2008, 11:13 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I feel just the same as you, Diane. Can't send the swap cards to friends and family. Even though it wouldn't be "wrong" it just would seem odd to me because they all know that I love to make cards.

So.... what to do with all the cards? Keep the ones you really want to copy in a shoebox or in a 3-ring binder. The rest you can donate.
• Sometimes a nursing home activities director will need extra cards.
• There are lots of places online to donate cards to military people serving overseas. They don't have a Hallmark store in Bagdad. Cards for Heros is one.
• Also, the Card Requests forum here on Splitcoast. Most of these are individual. For example, "Please send a card to my grandmother."

HTH
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2008, 11:35 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

In our swap group, it is understood that we will 'reuse' the swaps we receive. I do scans of all of the swaps and keep them on my blog so that the group can reference them. We all love getting fun mail and we all love using each other's creations!

Nancy
http://crazystampinwomen.typepad.com/crazystampinwomen/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2008, 12:22 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

Most cards I receive in swaps are stamped by the owner. I have no hesitation sending these cards out to friends and family. I do not hide the fact it is not my card. I hoard enough stuff as it is without adding my card swaps to the list.
To all those who have mailed me cards in swaps. I love you......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2008, 03:15 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I participated in several swaps, and, sorry to be harsh -and please don't flame me, but I was not pleased with the quality of the workmanship of many of the items I received. So, even if I did send out other's work - which I don't since my recipents expect the cards to come from me - I wouldn't have sent these. I still have a lot of them because I don't know what to do with them. A couple that weren't too bad I re-worked and included with a box to Cards for Heroes. I haven't participated in any swaps in a long time and doubt I will again. It's so dissapointing to put a lot of time and effort into something then get less than the same in return. Maybe that's just my experience.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2008, 06:15 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!
Wink I understand!

Susan, I know what you mean. I have a box of swap cards that I keep separate from my cards. I had a girlfriend come over who was looking for a baby card and she asked why I have not done any swaps lately. So I handed her my box of swap cards and did not say a thing. She looked through them and said that my cards are better than those. I totally understand where you are coming from. I have never sent a swap card out that I was not 100% satisfied with its outcome. I am actually more pickier with swap cards than regular ones.

Well the reason I asked is because I recently joined a monthly swap with a group of 10 ladies. It is hosted by Diane860 who was my little sister in the last round of DSS. We became really good friends and she loved my cards and wanted me to join her group. I cannot wait to see everyone's work. I am hoping these cards will be better than a normal swap because it is done every month by the same people. There is a 6 month commitment required to participate in this swap.

I really like the idea of Cards for Heros. Thanks for the link! My boss' son is leaving for round #2 in Iraq in January so I may send a box to him once he gets there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2008, 06:19 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

A few ideas I have heard are to donate them to your local hospital or nursing home. Also senior citizen rec. centers. I know my grandmother gets lots of cards from her rec. center.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2008, 06:50 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by sticklesView Post
A few ideas I have heard are to donate them to your local hospital or nursing home. Also senior citizen rec. centers. I know my grandmother gets lots of cards from her rec. center.
That's a great idea. My FIL is in a nursing home for Alzheimer's so I'll check with them next time we go for a visit!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2008, 12:27 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I mount all the swaps and send them to the troops....
Blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2008, 02:55 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

When I do swaps I would say 80% of the time I participate in full card swaps so that I can use them when I am done needing them (I am a demo so I usually participate in ones that I can show my customers)...some of them I keep to use as inspiration when making cards to sell, others I send to people I know...and other ones that are not "my style" I will give to a customer of mine who gives them to a hospice center she volunteers at.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2008, 04:09 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use them to send out to family and friends. I don't take credit for them but there is no sense and just letting them sit around. I really don't think my family or friends care who made the card- they are always happy to get something hand made.

If I start to get a huge stash some day I would probably donate them to a good cause.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2008, 05:37 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

I have participated in a few swaps. I have been mostly dissappointed in what I have received. I tried to embellish and save the ones I could and donated them to good causes. I don't do swaps now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 05:43 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Wink

We went to see my FIL last night. I was able to talk to the activities director and she loved the idea. Then the patients could have their family and friends mail them (since the nursing home claims that they do not have extra money available for postage). I will go through my box of swap cards and get a bunch together for them. I will also go to Staples and get a box of invitation envelopes to go along with them. Thanks for all the suggestions!
Reply With Quote Likes