Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-26-2006, 08:26 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Question SURVEY: Demos and everyone, I need your input, please!

Well, it looks like I'm going to be sending in my demo paperwork next week - finally! YAY! I am trying to decide on something, however, and wanted your opinions.

So to everyone... what are your 2 favorite $28.95 stamp sets and why? And to the demos... what 2 sets would you choose and are those decisions based on a personal preference or strictly from a (good for) business standpoint? (Hope that makes sense.) I already have HTF and Loads of Love just isn't my style, so I need your opinions as to what two sets you all think I should get instead. I can't decide if I should just pick two sets based on what I like, or go with sets that aren't necessarily my style (like Loads of Love), but have more universal appeal, and therefore more sales potential, KWIM?

Also, anyone else who's signing up this period... what add-on did you choose to go with your kit? The cardstock, the stamp set or the tools? And why? I'm leaning towards the stamp set, but having a difficult time really committing to that decision as well. (I have a real decision-making problem. LOL ) Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-26-2006, 08:39 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

My quick advice... BUY what you LOVE... not what you THINK will sell. It's really hard to use a set you don't LOVE, and if you NEVER use it, you will NEVER sell it!

My other advice is... go for the paper. You are going to need it, and you could domo the Stamps in your Kit for a year! Plus you will likely earn some (up to 9) free any-price sets as a new Demo with Stampin' Start!

Old 08-26-2006, 08:48 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

If your primary interest is sales, I would make sure to have versatile sets -- ones that can be used for a lot of different things and be sure to have a: 1. good sentiment set, 2. good flower set (HFT fits that bill) 3. non flower set (what do you love? Wild About You, And Everything Nice?). I'd also have a set that does the 2 step stampin (HFT) and one that can be colored in. That way you have opportunities to showcase different styles. I'd have something that can be used for Christmas if your friends will be making Christmas cards. Doesn't have to be a traditional Christmas set -- Little Pieces, a flower set, etc. will work. Finally, I would get a background and a brayer. Personally, I think linen is possibly the solution to middle east issues asit is so awesome and versatile!!!

Also, think about your potential customers. Are they young moms looking to announce births, middle agers with retirement in mind? Do they like to scrapbook?? If so, do not overlook that area!! Really nice scrapping kits.

I agree on the advice on consumables. Use that first 30% off hostess order wisely -- buy consumables. Cardstock, ribbon, etc. I hope you have tons of fun and success.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:00 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you so much for yor thoughts, ladies! All good points and greatly appreciated. Good idea to consider my future customer base! And I never even thought about getting a good sentiment set... I have been buying SU for 3 years now and that's one thing I don't have! I have simple/single words sets like Wonderful Words, but that's about it, since I have so many other sentiments from other companies like Hero Arts and whatnot. So that is definitely sage advice, thanks! What's a great set to fill this purpose?

And the practical side of me says to "get the paper" as my add-on, but the rubber addict in me says "get the stamps"! LOL I was justifying it as I can always add on paper packs to my orders here-n-there, but a $40 stamp set is just that - $40, right out of the gate! KWIM? So that's why I was going that direction. I am definitely going to be able to take full advantage of my 30% order and was mostly going to use that for inkpads, reinkers, cardstock, and ribbons, like you said.

Thanks again, gals! So... anyone else have favorites in the $28.95 range? What are some good (popular) sentiments sets? what's your favorite non-floral, non-gender specific set? THANK YOU, everyone! I really, REALLY appreciate it!
Old 08-27-2006, 09:13 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I would go for Cheery Chat at 28.95.

I have so much paper, I was going to get Headline Alphabet for the freebie, but I am not signing up right now. Good Luck and Happy Stamping
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2006, 09:19 AM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

Beyond Heartfelt Thanks? The sets that are most popular for me are

Whimsical Alpha Lower Case -- hands down. Always a winner.
after that ...
Petal prints and more recently, Simply Said.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:32 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

If you'd like words, I like In My Thoughts; for others On Gossamer Wings (great for coloring), Gorgeous Grapevine or Roses In Winter (two-step), Sew Seasonal (popular stitching style, with several seasons represented). Have fun picking!

I would also go with the cardstock, because as staramaze says, you have the potential to EARN lots of sets thru Stampin' Start.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:09 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have considered both Cheery Chat and In My Thoughts! Both good ones! I am definitely going to get some sort of sentiment set. As for florals, Roses In Winter has always been on my list as well... but I have SO many flower sets already! LOL I do already have Paint Prints and Simply Said. And the Whimsical lower case, too, Mouc!

Thanks so much for the continued input - keep it coming!
Old 08-27-2006, 10:24 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Everybody has such different tastes, it's hard to suggest one in particular. The only thing I've ever liked to suggest when changing a starter kit set is to try and stay with the same "type" of stamp set. Not floral for floral, but 2-step for 2-step, sentiment for sentiment, etc. Also notice that one of the sets (can't remember since they've changed the kit) has a matching wheel in the kit...try to stay with a replacement that also has a wheel.

The main reason I say this is because I think SU picks the sets so a new demo will be able to demo each different type of stamps, kwim? That way you'll be able to attract interest to different "types" of stampers...some who go for quick and easy (2-step) and others who love to color (line art).

I think it's possible to go with sets you love and still keep with that variety that SU had in mind to keep your kit as versastile as possible.

Congratulations on signing up!
Old 08-27-2006, 10:42 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

I just signed up in July and the BEST stamp set I got with my kit was the Best Friends alphabet. I chose the uppercase and I've used it at both workshops so far. I don't have a lot of "word" stamps yet so I can "make" whatever word I'm looking for with my alphabet!
Old 08-27-2006, 10:47 AM   #11  
Embossing Fanatic

I'm 99.9% sure I'm signing up and I'm going with Bodacious Bouquet and In My Thoughts...only because I already have the two sets offered with the kit!
Old 08-27-2006, 11:14 AM   #12  
Watercolor Wizard

I too am signing up this week... I did not like the Quick Thinking set or the Much Appreciated set so I am substituting Stippled Stencils and Trick or Treat. I already have quite a few sentiment sets and need a new Halloween set. I am also choosing the cardstock as my add-on. I figure that I will always need xtra c/s and can get the other choices at a later date with my discount.

Since I have so many SU sets already, my biggest job will be to separate those sets that have been retired and current sets that are still in catalog. It's going to be a job but in the long run will be loads easier for me when doing workshops. That will be a project soon and then I'm going to inventory what I have and keep on spreadsheet in computer.

Good luck with your new venture!!
Old 08-27-2006, 11:19 AM   #13  
Forum Fanatic

Wink

I am a non-demo, but the Queen of buying, and then not really loving them. Wishing I had ordered the other ones....
After a year of this, I have come to realize, I need to order what speaks to me, what I love, and the set I wish was right there beside me, because I just want to stamp with it, NOW.
My suggestion is to order what YOU love, and that will show as you use it in your demonstrations.....
Old 08-27-2006, 12:19 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

For $28.95 sets, I really love It's Your Birthday - lots of great birthday words, and who doesn't need to make birthday cards? I like that the sentiments in this set are kind of casual and hip, but not too strange. I also really love Roses in Winter and now Serene Sunflower.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 08-27-2006, 02:40 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I agree with It's Your Birthday. All About U is also very versatile. Personally, I'm really wanting Bodacious Bouquet. (I'm a flower gal!) I really love the jumbo wheel that goes with it, and I REALLY want the brass template. I normally don't care about them, but I'm loving the holes for paper piercing around the flowers. I can totally picture faux stitching!