Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Submitting for Publication (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/submitting-publication-151997/)

stampinsweeney 06-05-2006 06:52 AM

Submitting for Publication

Ok...in moment of ignorance I mailed off one of my fav cards to a magazine to be considered for publication, then I realized that my card was, most likely, not going to be published. (Given the standards of published material mine is fairly mediocre. )

I sent it with a SASE to be sent back to me if it was not used. How long does it usually take to get your work returned? The mag that I was trying to get into has already been published, so I assume they are done with it.

Just wondering what to expect.

JulieHRR 06-05-2006 07:08 AM

Depends on who you sent it to. Rubber Stamper can take a year+ to return it and so do Stampington publications. They hold onto them for an "indeterminate" amount of time, for possible inclusion in a future issue where it might better suit their needs.

EllenH 06-05-2006 07:50 AM

When I first started stamping four years ago I had someone encourage me to send Stamper's Sampler one of my cards. I hesitantly did so because I knew it just wasn't quite to the right "level" yet, but I figured why not try. I sent it with a SASE because I knew I wanted to have it for posteriety - LOL. I JUST got it back a couple of months ago - unpublished of course - so don't hold your breath is all I'm saying. I might just have to post that one to my blog so you can all get a good laugh and know that we all start someplace. You never know if it will show up in print, or when it will arrive safely back in your mailbox.

AND more importantly never give up!!! I didn't send anything in for years and just started again this last fall and have met with unbelievable success. So keep at it - never doubt your own creativity and just KEEP TRYING!!! If your goal is to have something in print then KEEP TRYING - you CAN do it :D :D :D

basurok 06-05-2006 08:00 AM

I recently followed up on a group of submissions to the Rubber Stamper that I'd sent in early January. Figured 6 months later, they either weren't interested or they would have contacted me. Since I'd included the SASE, I only felt it fair that they be returned if there was no interest. E-mailed them and learned happily that one of my cards is being published in July/Aug issue and they will return the whole lot when finished. I've not submitted a lot...but now know that even 6 months in the publishing world may not seem like a long time to them even though it feels like a vewy vewy long time to us.....

Keeping my figures crossed for another submitted to Stampington (as yet not returned since last July)...it is kraft card with homemade paper victorian glove on it..and little beads sewn on the cuff. Hoping to see that one day soon again...it feels more like a dearly departed friend than a card. ;)