Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-07-2006, 12:05 PM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU: Springboard or Base Camp?

For those of you who have been around awhile...

Do you think the Stampin' Up! product line is more like a springboard or a base camp? Is it a good first set of products coupled with good training that get you set up so you can build up your your talent as a designer, find your style and jump off to bigger and better things? Is it a solid base set of products that, even if you do find new directions, you often find yourself coming back to? Does it depend on the products? Are there some that you find yourself coming back to more than others? Is it neither springboard or base camp but something else entirely?

Feeling a bit reflective today,
Amy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2006, 12:15 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Definately a base camp for me...I have stamps from a lot of other companies in all forms, mounted, UM, rubber, acrylic and I find I like SU the best - there are such a variety of images available and the way you get to coordinate - not only within a set but between sets...

I do look other places for images that SU doesn't have but my building blocks - paper, ink, accessories are all solidly SU
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2006, 12:18 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I think it depends on your style, both what you start with & what it evolves into. There are those who start stamping & scrapbooking with the bargain items they find at Michael's & Walmart (NOTHING wrong with that!) and over time discover that SU offers alot in the way of coordinating products & personal service that they don't get with $1 stamps & generic paper.

There are also the people, such as myself, whose first exposure to stamping was at an SU workshop. I was hooked from the start. I signed up almost immediately. While I have tried other products, I find that SU's quality is better than most. I also LOVE that someone else puts together all of the coordinating images, so I don't have to stand in the stamp aisle figuring if this image looks good with that greeting. It's about an attention to detail, because all of the products coordinate with each other.

Then there are the others who just LOVE anything to do with paper crafting that want it ALL, no matter which company it comes from. Gotta LOVE those customers!

My itty bitty gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2006, 12:19 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes.

OK, sorry. I think it's all those things, lol. My first exposure to stamping was through a Stampin Up party at a friend's house. That's all I knew until a year or so later a stamp store opened up near me. Heaven!

Then I discovered the internet stamping communities and found my tastes and styles changing dramatically. I pretty much left SU stamps to languish in the back of the closet in pursuit of collage, distressed, ethnic and any other style of rubber stamp that wasn't "SU style." (This was back when SU was more cute-ish.) Even my local stamp store kept telling me that she couldn't bring in the types of stamps I wanted, since "nobody else would buy them!" Hah!

These last few years I find myself back with SU style, lol. I like the clean, fresh look. I also like the fact that just as I evolved in my "styles," so did SU. The stamp images are more varied, more "professional," if that's a good word? They have stamps to appeal to lots of different folks.

So, I guess the "yes" answer applies to all parts of your question, lol. And I think that's the mark of a good company....

Great thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2006, 12:20 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I think it's both. It's a great place to learn about stamping and the products definitely lend themselves to being a springboard for designing and growing your artistic ability. The fact that all the cardstocks and inks coordinate together so beautifully makes it simple to put together stunning designs. I can't imagine not using SU stuff to create and design with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2006, 12:40 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

base camp all the way. The base being the colors and high quality, I find myself buying extra things like Stickles and Rub ons and the one off stamps but i always go back the the SU paper and inks since I know it all matchs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2006, 01:15 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by yawp
Is it a good first set of products coupled with good training that get you set up so you can build up your your talent as a designer, find your style and jump off to bigger and better things?
I believe their stamps, papers and inks are good quality products and therefore I buy them. I like some of the art styles of the stamps they issue every year, and some of 'em I don't.

I never have and never would look at it from the perspective of developing my skill "as a designer", so, I'm not quite sure how to answer your question.

I look at products--any and all products--as a stamper. Bottom line: Do I like it, and is it a good quality product, and will it do what I need it to do? If the answer is yes, then, it goes into the shopping cart. If not, it doesn't.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2006, 02:24 PM   #8  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quality products are the tools you need to hone any art skill. The rest is a whole lotta hours working at it and learning from every available resource.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2006, 02:46 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

For me SU is base camp. I sometimes buy other stamps and products, but I ALWAYS buy SU.
SCS Member #772
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes