Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About Gallery Commenting - Quite Upset

Whenever I participate in a challenge here on SCS, I try to take the time to comment on as many other cards in the challenge gallery as I can. I try to say more than "nice" or "pretty" often commenting on aspects of the card I liked. I have never once, intentionally or un-intentionally made a negative comment.

Apparently today though someone took offense to a comment I made in the color challenge gallery. Instead of pm'ing me to let me know what she thought the problem was, she left a comment on my blog saying:

"What is it with you and your backhanded compliments you leave people on SCS? If you have nothing positive to say about someone's creations, maybe you shouldn't say anything at all. You're quite rude. :( "

I was completely taken aback. I have never left a negative comment for anyone and I have never had anyone accuse me of being rude. I deleted the comment on my blog but she left another one later on saying the same thing. Reading that comment really brought down my mood on what was an already bad day in my life.

I wanted to write to her to let her know that I'm sorry if she took any comment I made as offensive as it was certainly not my intention, but her blogger profile was not available. I went back through all the comments I had made today to see if any of the card posts matched her first name (the only thing listed in her blog comment) or to see if I could find any post that didn't come out as I had intended, and honestly, I can't find anything that I wrote that anyone would take offense at.

I won't mention this person's name because I wouldn't want to embarrass her - even though she quite embarrassed me having her comment be public to all my blog viewers. All I want to say to her is that I am truly sorry if I offended you. It certainly wasn't intentional. And if you would like to let me know what it is that you think I posted that was offensive, you can pm me.

I hope that anyone else who feels that they were offended by any comment from anyone will assume that it was un-intentional and pm the person rather than make anonymous comments.

Has anyone else received such comments either on their blog or on a post or a pm? How have you handled it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 02:46 PM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I can't imagine ever leaving someone a rude comment like that! I'm so sorry that someone felt that they needed to deal with an issue in that way. A pm or e-mail would have been more appropriate.

FWIW, you've commented on some of my cards and have never been anything other than pleasant. I'm sorry you're having a bad day. ((hugs))
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 02:51 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I just wanted to say I'm sorry this happened to you! She definitely shouldn't have left it on your blog! I know how you feel though...I had someone get really upset with me about comments during the color renovation.

I was trying to be upbeat and positive about the whole thing and would never say anything to hurt or upset anyone but someone took great offense at my comments (although they never could quote exactly what upset them) and I try to be helpful around here. I got an email from them after they looked up my blog..so at least it was private. And I'm pretty sure the sad person created a fake email address just for that, silly! It really upset me though so I feel for you...try not to worry about it and just be who you are. Some people have issues...or too much time on their hands..or are just mean...or all of the above:-)

I emailed her back very politely (at least as polite as I could muster) and never heard back...hence the fake email address. It made me mad that she didn't at least "man up" to her comments and tell me who she was and what I had said that made her so mad.

So cheer up buttercup and keep doin what you're doin!!!! HUGS!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 02:54 PM   #4  

I'm so sorry, I think it's awful that someone left a negative comment on your blog. Obviously they're not brave enough to confront you through a PM where you could both discuss things privately, choosing instead to humiliate you to your blog readers. People are very brave when they are sure they're anonymous but face to face (or even PM to PM!) are too cowardly to speak their mind.
Cheer up, most likely no one read the comment on your blog and you can proudly hold your head high knowing you did nothing wrong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 457 Likes on 346 Posts

I have never seen you post any comment with wasn't kind and encouraging, Susan! I am so sorry that you were singled out in this way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 02:58 PM   #6  

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe she thought your blog was someone else's blog by mistake?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 03:03 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Report to a SCS Mod!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 03:05 PM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

WOW! And what was that about having something nice to say! By the way, I love your gallery! Was that a backhand compliment!? I hope not! lol
If you know yourself, then let's give them the benefit of the doubt, and say they simply misunderstood.
: )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 03:05 PM   #9  

So sorry that happened to you. I will never understand people who go on the attack instead of sending a polite PM.

I have a friend and coworker who is a newbie here on SCS and also a new stamper. She uploaded a card and identified the stamps as being from Joann's. Someone commented on her card saying "I didn't know Joann's had their own line of stamps. Wait, they don't! You need to go back and properly credit the actual manufacturer for these stamps!" My friend doesn't hardly ever get comments on her cards and getting a mean one left her almost in tears. The thing is, she always goes out of her way to do everything right and help everyone. If the person had pm'ed her and asked her to give the manufacturer, she would have been glad to do it.

I know getting a mean comment can really bring you down. But don't forget that almost all of us here love your comments (and your artwork)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 03:07 PM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Just visited your blog! Love it! I will make sure NOT to leave backhanded comments! See, you gotta laugh about stuff like that. Don't let it get you down. Now smile! I insist!
: )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_1qQ3x4vqjg...hooty+love.jpg
I saw this card somewhere, can't remember, and love it! YOU made it. Cute, cute, cute!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 03:16 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Susan, I have never, ever seen a comment from you that was anything other than encouraging, complimentary and kind. I am so sorry that you were subjected to something like this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 03:23 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to philsmom

I have a wrist injury (a permanent impairment) if I take the time to write "Nice card" I mean it. I don't mean to offend anyone by my short comments, but I like to acknowledge their creativity. Sometimes I am in too much pain to write more. I peeked at your gallery and your cards are delightful!

illegitimi non carborundum=don't let the ___ grind you down.

Last edited by UnderstandBlue; 11-16-2010 at 06:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 03:26 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

It is truly a shame that one person can cause so much hurt! I am sorry this happened to you! Hopefully all of the other positive comments, and support here will encourage you and brighten your day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 03:26 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

sorry you feel sad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 03:54 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

This is shocking. I totally agree that if you play the challenges, part of the deal of receiving comments is to give comments too. When I do play, like you, I try to leave as many positive comments as I can.

Do you think that this person mistook "interesting" as a sarcastic comment? I think the true meaning is that it got you thinking and was something that you would have never done. It doesn't mean that it is bad. There is all kinds of art out in the world that I find interesting and who knows, maybe it will give me the inspiration to try something different in the future.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 04:27 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its a shame this person couldn't have handled it privately. From your explanation, no doubt this person misunderstood the intent of your comment. I rarely get more than 1 comment on any of my cards, so I always take them as a compliment. At least someone found it interesting enough to look and comment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 05:14 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by peebsmamaView Post
I wanted to write to her to let her know that I'm sorry if she took any comment I made as offensive as it was certainly not my intention, but her blogger profile was not available.
I, for the life of me, cannot understand why YOU are apologizing to HER!! She's the one who went out of her way to seek you out in anonymity in a really childish and spiteful way for something you had no idea you did!!! (if you even did it.. I don't think you did, BTW) Don't give HER the satisfaction of a second thought.

To the random mean girl: deal with this in a more ADULT manner next time will you?? Don't go around insulting random good people needlessly.. Thanx.

{hugs}
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 05:17 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Sorry about the big downer. Funny....the blog poster didn't like your "alleged" negative comment...so she leaves one??
Keep enjoying your stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

I agree...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post
I, for the life of me, cannot understand why YOU are apologizing to HER!! She's the one who went out of her way to seek you out in anonymity in a really childish and spiteful way for something you had no idea you did!!! (if you even did it.. I don't think you did, BTW) Don't give HER the satisfaction of a second thought.

To the random mean girl: deal with this in a more ADULT manner next time will you?? Don't go around insulting random good people needlessly.. Thanx.

{hugs}
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 05:29 PM   #21  

Susan, I can't imagine YOU (of all people) leaving a negative comment for anyone. Hugs to you!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 05:31 PM   #22  
Glitter Guru

Susan, I'm so sorry someone left such a mean spirited and hurtful comment. You are so generous with your positive comments and didn't deserve that. {{{hugs}}}

My Blog - Crafting The Web | Illustrator and Designer for - Gina K Designs

2012 Design Team Member - Spellbinders
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 05:39 PM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

Don't give this person the satisfaction of being upset or responding to the comments.

If you get another comment on your blog, maybe you should leave it up.

Last edited by avonlea; 11-16-2010 at 08:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 06:02 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnfroggieView Post
...I have a friend and coworker who is a newbie here on SCS and also a new stamper. She uploaded a card and identified the stamps as being from Joann's. Someone commented on her card saying "I didn't know Joann's had their own line of stamps. Wait, they don't! You need to go back and properly credit the actual manufacturer for these stamps!" My friend doesn't hardly ever get comments on her cards and getting a mean one left her almost in tears. ...
Trina: I'm sorry your friend and new SCSer felt her by that comment. I hope it won't spoil her fun here and that she still feels welcome.

Just an FYI to all: if you do see disparaging or rude comments in the Galleries, please report it and the Gallery Mods will take a look into it. The "report" button is that asterisk * that you see on the right hand side in the Gallery comments section.

Quote:

Originally Posted by peebsmama
Has anyone else received such comments either on their blog or on a post or a pm? How have you handled it?
Great questions, Susan! This hasn't happened to me (yet?), but I would probably take it slightly personally. On the one hand, I would like to open up a dialogue and find out what I may have said that offended someone, when that was never my intention. On the other hand, I may just have to take a deep breath, try not to take it personally and let it go.

Sometimes tone can be so hard to come across in writing and often we sounds curt or rude, when really that's not our tone at all!

I hope sharing & reading others' experiences has helped you feel better, Susan.

Cris

Want to join the SCS Fan Club?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 06:40 PM   #25  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Susan, I don't even know what to say......I find it very hard to believe that you said something inappropriate. You always leave such nice comments on my projects here. Don't give this person another thought. It's just someone trying to stir up trouble ----so don't let her!

{{HUGS}}
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 07:31 PM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Hi, (((((Susan)))), Susan here! I can't even begin to imagine someone 'acting' in that way, but from all the kind responses to your post, I hope those bad feelings are chased away.

I agree with all those posts above me about your encouraging words. I tend to ramble with my thoughts and try to type with expression!!! If you know what I mean. I am blessed when someone takes the time to comment.

And to philsmom, thank you for the reminder that there are issues in leaving more than a wow, or nice. Thank you for your efforts, Fran.

Since SCS is our arty family, I try to write out my 'personality'. Sometimes I wonder if 'they' didn't get my humor or whatever and have I offended them. It's hard to be yourself for others in the cyberworld. I am much funnier here than in my real environment...if that makes sense. So I'll close by sending gentle thoughts to you and thank you for being the sweet peebsmama I 'know'.

hugs,
Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 07:36 PM   #27  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I think it's terrible that she did that. Now THAT was rude! Is there any way you can set up your blog to accept comments only when you approve them? That's what I do with my blog. If she is a member here at SCS (and, if I'm understanding correctly, she is), then I would notify a moderator.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #28  
Crimping Master

Wow, I don't know what else to say. How rude! :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 09:14 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sorry. I would have been upset also.

Try not to let it wreck a second day.

Some people are just strange and the internet is a playground for them. One reason I switched to typepad is that I can blog certain addresses from commenting on my blog.

Enough said!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 09:42 PM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

wow how rude!! i just looked at your blog and im now a follower! your work is beautiful
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2010, 09:42 PM   #31  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Fair Warning, I'm writing in Caps, but it's just to "highlight" a few words and stress their meaning. I'm really Not conveying yelling

I'm saying this kindly and I mean it as such, but why do some of us get all up in arms about little things? And take everything out of context? It's SCRAPBOOKING People! It's SUPPOSED to be a Hobby and THERAPEUTIC and Relieve Stress!!! Some of us Read in to someone's comments way too much, which is so sad. I have met some Incredible People on here, that are Amazing and have inspired me beyond belief! It's sad that some take our only joy away. I got into scrapping because of a semi-controling relationship and it was my only outlet to be me/creative without anyone critiquing me and my work. It was my therapy session, when I couldn't get real therapy. I have had a few people say some mean things on SCS to me, sure, I learned to dismiss them. It still hurt and I still remember who they are (LOL), but what can you do? I hate that there are a few bad "apples in the barrel", it's sad, but there are many more who are nicer out here!!

Please don't worry about that one spiteful (jealous) person! We understand your hurt and love you!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 01:17 AM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

I am so sorry to hear that you had this trouble. What a rat she was. Sending you hugs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 02:17 AM   #33  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 94 Likes on 52 Posts

Susan, you are a very supportive member on SCS. I always appreciate your comments. Sadly if this person didn't have the courage to write and tell you personally in a pm what upset her then she deserves to be ignored. She has caused you stress and that is exactly what she wanted to do. Let it go and don't give her another moment's pleasure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 02:54 AM   #34  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone has already said what I want to say. So, hugs to you, Susan. You're such a sweet and supportive person, and the REST of us certainly appreciate you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 02:55 AM   #35  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 510 Likes on 229 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittie747View Post
She has caused you stress and that is exactly what she wanted to do. Let it go and don't give her another moment's pleasure.
I like the way you said that, Kittie! I have had to do the same thing with some comments I have gotten here as well. If you let it go (easier said than done, believe me) then they are the only one with a churning stomach and headache...not you!

Hugs to you, Susan!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 04:37 AM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

I am so sorry Susan... You have always been most positive and encouraging on every comment I have ever seen and everyone so appreciates it!
Don't let it worry you anymore and hope you have a WONDERFUL day!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 04:56 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 409 Likes on 355 Posts

Susan, you are one of the kindest commenters on the challenges that you participate in. I know...I've been the recipient. This person is beyond rude......a very insensitive person. I truly hope this does not deter you from uploading your cards from the daily challenges. This person is "small" in the true sense of the word. The many wonderful gals on this board outweigh her and any others like her.

Like you, I look at challenges as expanding my creativity, but by taking part I know that I should comment on others work as well as receiving comments on mine. It is time-consuming....no getting around it, especially if you leave more than a one or two word comment. I think the word "interesting" means that something made you stop, think and take notice in a good way.

I know this weighs heavy on you, but know you have many supporting you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 05:42 AM   #38  

I am so sorry Susan....sending you big hugs!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 05:59 AM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnfroggieView Post
So sorry that happened to you. I will never understand people who go on the attack instead of sending a polite PM.

I have a friend and coworker who is a newbie here on SCS and also a new stamper. She uploaded a card and identified the stamps as being from Joann's. Someone commented on her card saying "I didn't know Joann's had their own line of stamps. Wait, they don't! You need to go back and properly credit the actual manufacturer for these stamps!" My friend doesn't hardly ever get comments on her cards and getting a mean one left her almost in tears. The thing is, she always goes out of her way to do everything right and help everyone. If the person had pm'ed her and asked her to give the manufacturer, she would have been glad to do it.

I know getting a mean comment can really bring you down. But don't forget that almost all of us here love your comments (and your artwork)!
I think that people can sometimes lose their tact when behind the safety of a computer monitor! As if this person who left your friend such a snide comment couldn't make it the rest of her day because she stated where she bought stamps versus who they were made by.
Obviously this person must know everything..therefor she would know who made the stamps in question, thus making her comment a moot point! lol
Sorry, but sometimes I tend to make things make better sense by looking at them through the negative persons eyes. lol

I hope you tell your friend to keep on keepin on, and not let some miserable know it all ruin her fun!! It takes a lot of courage to post pictures of your stuff, especially when you are new to doing it. Sometimes people forget that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 06:38 AM   #40  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by peebsmamaView Post
"What is it with you and your backhanded compliments you leave people on SCS? If you have nothing positive to say about someone's creations, maybe you shouldn't say anything at all. You're quite rude. "
Wait, let me get this straight. She is reprimanding you for supposedly saying something not positive. And then accusing you of being rude???

Well that's very hypocritical. She needs to take her own advice!!
Reply With Quote Likes